Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I've got a bunch in the notepad, most of which I put in before I even started. I settled on main characters one or two repeating cliches, tracking various deaths (no spoilers for Deaths: -Main Cast :v:) and a couple other things. I was originally going to go with Riker Smirks but that would bring the run time from maybe 135 hours to like eighty hours of typing. If there's anything you want tracked let me know, I'm sick as a dog so it probably won't be too stretched out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

Yeah I've got a bunch in the notepad, most of which I put in before I even started. I settled on main characters one or two repeating cliches, tracking various deaths (no spoilers for Deaths: -Main Cast :v:) and a couple other things. I was originally going to go with Riker Smirks but that would bring the run time from maybe 135 hours to like eighty hours of typing. If there's anything you want tracked let me know, I'm sick as a dog so it probably won't be too stretched out.

Track "Riker does his weird seat maneuver" instead.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

WampaLord posted:

Track "Riker does his weird seat maneuver" instead.

I have a toddler in a gymnastics class for little kids. We had them running around an obstacle course and my kid started putting one leg over these cones that she was supposed to run around. I said, "Kiddo, you're doing a Riker Maneuver. Run around them." The mom of the kid in front of us on the course turned to me and said, "Did you just say what I think you said?" I kind of sputtered and she said, "Did you just call your kid Will Riker for putting her leg over something? I love Riker." It was a little weird, but this is how universally known the Riker Maneuver is. It's part of the cultural fabric of western society.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
You should track every time Worf gets rebuked only for something bad to happen as a result

Orv
May 4, 2011
Worf Was Right and Riker Doesn't Understand Chairs on the list. Also Shut Up is basically anyone's idea or suggestion gets told off, or they get interrupted (im)politely, so Shut Up Worf and Worf Was Right will probably end up pretty close.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This exercise sounds like fun, anyone have ideas for a TOS checklist? I'm having trouble committing to watching it, having something to track would give me an incentive.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The list I'd probably do for TOS;

Deaths;
Crew
Guest Stars
Impossible Beings

Damnit Jim

Bones ______!

Most Illogical

Captan, I _______

He/They/It's Dead

Dickish God

Lost Control of Enterprise

Spock Begins To Become Thing He's Mindmelding

Green Blood

Improbable Cast Response To Extreme Danger

And stolen and modified from my TNG list;

Season 3 Is Really Terrible: gently caress!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

^^^

"Fascinating..."

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

"drat it, Jim" would be 0 until Wrath of Khan since we are talking about 1960s television. It was amazing that Kirk used "hell" as a profanity in "The City on the Edge of Forever."

Incidentally, it annoys me that McCoy in the new movies uses the phrase almost constantly.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 1, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good point.

Jim, [moral rant] ?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm a Doctor, not a ____. ?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Man, Lexx is loving weird

Orv
May 4, 2011

skasion posted:

Man, Lexx is loving weird

I saw I think maybe two or three episodes of Lexx when it first popped on US Netflix a few years back, and at this point all I remember is a sense of vague unease about it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Orv posted:

I saw I think maybe two or three episodes of Lexx when it first popped on US Netflix a few years back, and at this point all I remember is a sense of vague unease about it.

It's that kind of show. It's impressively gross and offputting for its era, or for that matter any era. Rather nice soundtrack though. Someone, I think in this thread or its predecessors, once likened it to Farscape, with the difference that Farscape is like an acid trip in a chill cool place where you come out of it feeling awesome, and Lexx is like an acid trip where you all of a sudden find yourself waking up in the gutter unsure what happened to you but with your life changed forever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lexx is Red Dwarf through a Scandinavian LSD lens.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LEXX is not a TV show, it's an experience.

It's also a rite of passage if you really want to call yourself a sci-fi fan.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty much any fan of corny sci-fi should watch Lexx season 1 at least

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'd say at least season 2 as well, if you have any interest in large scale sci fi ideas. Like Stephen Baxter scale. The plot thread for the season is von Neumann machines consuming the entire universe.

The first episode I ever saw was toward the end of S2 - the musical episode where they tell Kai's back story. Permanently hooked me in one episode.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 1, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think 790 is a good character.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The_Doctor posted:

Lexx is Red Dwarf through a Scandinavian LSD lens.

German and Canadian (specifically east coast) lens you mean.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LEXX is how I honed my ability to spot a Canadian accent.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember watching Lexx on Space in Canada because the parental guidance promised my puberty ridden brain nudity but I don't recall a single (understandable) instance.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Said it before and I'll say it again: it's like watching someone else's fever dream

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

Banana Canada posted:

"Fascinating..."

Orv posted:

Jim, [moral rant] ?

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I'm a Doctor, not a ____. ?

I will do the list with these additions and report back.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Orv posted:

Deaths;
Crew
Guest Stars
Impossible Beings

Damnit Jim

Bones ______!

Most Illogical

Captan, I _______

He/They/It's Dead

Dickish God

Lost Control of Enterprise

Spock Begins To Become Thing He's Mindmelding

Green Blood

Improbable Cast Response To Extreme Danger

And stolen and modified from my TNG list;

Season 3 Is Really Terrible: gently caress!

The "Captain, I___" stuff comes up like ten times an episode, but the rest of the list is pretty solid. Other good ones:

Two fisted hammer punches

Kirk/Spock/McCoy falls in love

The love interest dies

"You have ___ of your Earth [minutes/hours/days.]"

The captain's log is blatantly impossible, like when he's been tied up/unconscious the whole time.

The primitives are/were more advanced than they seem.

A planet is described as "paradise" or "Eden."

Scottie or McCoy breaks out the booze.

Kirk is replaced by an obvious stunt double.

Spock gets accused of being emotional/sentimental

Kirk talks a computer to death

McCoy actually has a conversation with Sulu or Uhura (it happens less than you think)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Duckbag posted:

Kirk talks a computer to death

Doesn't this only happen, like, twice?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timby posted:

Doesn't this only happen, like, twice?

Nomad
M-5
Androids in I, Mudd
Landru

So, at least 4.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Nomad
M-5
Androids in I, Mudd
Landru

So, at least 4.

The big serpent god thing was a computer iirc

E: though now that I think about it I guess they just blew him up.

skasion fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 1, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So I am starting this checklist with The Naked Time, and I have to add my own item right away:

Weird Sex Stuff

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

skasion posted:

The big serpent god thing was a computer iirc

Are you talking about Vaal? They destroyed that one with phasers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay, so I'm going by Netflix order here and I'm not including the stuff from the episodes I've already seen. I will only add categories as they occur.

Season 1, Episode 5 - The Naked Time

He/They/It Dead: 2
Spock gets accused of being emotional/sentimental: 2
Weird Sex Stuff: 2
Lost Control of Enterprise: 1 (And to some loving random crewman)
Green Blood: 1 (Bones mentions it, I'm counting mentions)
"Fascinating...": 1
Crew Deaths: 1

I don't understand how they fixed the problem at the end, they went really fast around the planet to go back in time, which...cured...everyone? :confuoot:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kibayasu posted:

I remember watching Lexx on Space in Canada because the parental guidance promised my puberty ridden brain nudity but I don't recall a single (understandable) instance.

Second episode, fully nudity on Xev.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:siren::siren:http://io9.gizmodo.com/deep-space-nine-documentary-says-screw-it-well-make-so-1792860792:siren::siren:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Would it be feasible to crowd-fund, or make some sort of fan project out of remastering DS9? While I'm sure it would be a logistical challenge to coordinate such a thing, there seem to be plenty of fans out there with the means and drive to recreate the VFX shots in HD like that one guy did on Youtube.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Would it be feasible to crowd-fund, or make some sort of fan project out of remastering DS9? While I'm sure it would be a logistical challenge to coordinate such a thing, there seem to be plenty of fans out there with the means and drive to recreate the VFX shots in HD like that one guy did on Youtube.

Recreating VFX is only part of the hassle. A huge chunk of TNG's remastering budget was sifting through shelves and shelves full of film reels of raw footage with incomplete documentation trying to find the correct shots and takes and then editing it all back together again. For 7 seasons of DS9 that's work in the 7 figures before you even touch the VFX issue.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure that guy on YouTube had the original models as well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They should rent some costumes, hire a high school play set team, buy some model minatures, and film their own with a iPhone camera.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the VFX aren't the largest concern. It's tracking down all the relevant footage and re-editing the episodes after they are scanned in.

I contend that they should be scanned in regardless for preservation. One fire, one climate control disaster, or one mislabeled box could mean that the original source would be forever lost. Doing a 2k or 4k scan of all the original film elements is just being good stewards of the content.

I would hate to be in a Farscape situation where the only surviving source is a video master.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

To be fair, by Farscape end-season cliffhanger standards that's a pretty rosy situation to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

If you don't start with TOS, it will be hard to watch after the actually good trek.

Man, I could not disagree with this statement more

I grew up watching TNG as a little kid (born in 1985 so TNG was huge in syndication when I was right at that age) and watching TNG was like a family ritual and as I recall the ONE show that everyone in my family all could agree to watch at 7:00pm during/after dinner or whatever. As a result, it (and to some extent DS9) become like TV comfort food for me later in life. And I *never* watched TOS or any of the movies until very recently - I think I had seen a bit of TOS and was turned off by how dated it felt at first.

Then like... I dunno, a year or two ago I finally decided to give it another shot, because I had gotten in the habit of putting on an episode of TNG when I wanted to go to sleep, and I'd probably gone through all 170-odd episodes at least a couple times and decided "screw it" and finally gave TOS a real and legit chance.\

I was *utterly* amazed and blown away. At its best - which is maybe half of the episodes overall strictly from seasons 1 (especially) and season 2 - TOS just *towers* over TNG/DS9/etc. In part because it really was rather new and fresh and different and blazing through some exciting new trails. You really get that feeling - especially in the latter part of season 1 - that something truly unique and special and impossible to duplicate was happening. And it was. There is just something about a lot of those season 1/2 TOS episodes where a certain chemistry/energy is driving things forward and it's just... special to see. I will continue to say that Nimoy and Lenard are still the only two actors who have managed to play Vulcans that don't come across dull-as-dishwater and/or obnoxious/annoying. There's a reason why Spock was way more popular than Kirk and probably always will be - the character of Spock is just a freaking *delight* to watch, and it's almost exciting to see that particular sci-fi character archetype be more or less created and allowed to slowly develop on-screen for the first time.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. There are lots of very good reasons to watch (seasons 1 and 2) of Star Trek, but I don't begrudge anyone for passing on 75% or so of season 3. Which leads me to one last comment, which is that Gene Coon probably doesn't get NEARLY enough credit outside of the Trekkie community for his contributions to that show, in my opinion. He had a huge hand in not only producing but often writing some of the greatest Trek episodes, and I'm definitely of the opinion that his absence in season 3 is a drat huge reason why something just feels "wrong" or "off" about that entire season. But uh, that probably isn't any sort of a brand-new opinion.

The only thing that sort of comes close to the TOS golden era is DS9 in seasons 6 and 7, when I feel like it really was at the top of its game and had a big ensemble of fantastic heroes, anti-heroes, villains, anti-villains (of all shapes and sizes) plus losers, tricksters, rogues and everything in between. There were many hours of AMAZING television produced in those seasons. DS9 never gets enough credit (in my opinion) for the unbelievably fabulous set design and ESPECIALLY costume-work. Best costumes/makeup/set design of ANY Star Trek show, to date. And it's not even close. Voyager lagged so far behind them in this department that it's crazy. DS9 is *by far* the most aesthetically tasteful and professionally polished shows ever made, in my opinion. It's a drat shame we'll probably never see DS9 get the HD treatment like TNG - if that made TNG look better to THAT freakin' degree, I can only imagine how fantastic DS9 would look in HD. But I know - it was crazy-expensive and involved like creating and cleaning up an entirely new transfer from the original film masters, or whatever :(