Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
There's no realistic way to continue the story in the Milky Way after ME3's endings. Instead of getting into that quagmire of choice carry-overs, we're getting a completely new galaxy. It's a soft reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

MEA doesn't acknowledge the endings of ME3 tho, It seems they're trying to skip that ME3 even happened with this.

To some people, and considering the reaction to that ending, this is a good thing

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BigPaddy posted:

Thing to remember that between ME:3 and ME:A it has only been 600 years so Grunt is still kicking the arse of anything that doesn't have his boot print on it yet.

I really hope they somehow find a way to connect the galaxies at the end of the game and Grunt is in the sequel.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Schubalts posted:

There's no realistic way to continue the story in the Milky Way after ME3's endings. Instead of getting into that quagmire of choice carry-overs, we're getting a completely new galaxy. It's a soft reboot.

Imo people would be much more enthusiastic if you could import an ME1/ME2 save for minor Easter eggs, idk why they didn't do that

edit: Mordin's human assistant is part of the AI if you saved him in ME2, maybe he even alludes to mourning Mordin if he died in the suicide mission, for example

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 1, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Schubalts posted:

It's a soft reboot.
ME:A2 will be an Elseworld where Garrus is Ra's al Ghul and Batman.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

How can you not be happy to get a new Mass Effect game on a good game engine with improved mechanics across the board?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Back Hack posted:

You're right, lets catalog all the interesting things that playing as zombie cyborg had on the game and story ratification resulting from it:

It let the events of the Citadel DLC happen.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Schubalts posted:

Shoulda just taken the Elder Scrolls route and said "gently caress it, they all happened due to gently caress you."

But no.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Deakul posted:

How can you not be happy to get a new Mass Effect game on a good game engine with improved mechanics across the board?

Hedging your bets. If you complain about how bad the game is obviously going to be before it's released and you turn out to be right, you can be smug about it to all your internet friends. If it turns out to be good, you can't be smug, but you can at least play the good game. Either way, you win.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Deakul posted:

I will be happy if I can play it on my computer and if it is fun. DA:I played on my compy but I never finished it because. . . I dunno, it just didn't feel compelling for some reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deakul posted:

:tali:

Spacebump posted:

I really hope they somehow find a way to connect the galaxies at the end of the game and Grunt is in the sequel.

If the game doesn't end in a cliffhanger with a giant ugly ship coming out of warp and Cora going "They're hailing us! Unknown signature!" and then there's a pregnant pause before Grunt's face, older and now with an eyepatch, appears and says "Shepard."

CUT. TO. BLACK.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

To some people, and considering the reaction to that ending, this is a good thing

Personally, I wish Andromeda had just been a new setting. Mass Effect's done, for good or for ill, let's see a new setting - which a new galaxy should be regardless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It will turn out that the entire game is a simulation being played out in Shepard's mind while she's dead, before ME2 even happens. Andromeda 2 will be called Mass Effect II-2

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

precision posted:

:tali:

If the game doesn't end in a cliffhanger with a giant ugly ship coming out of warp and Cora going "They're hailing us! Unknown signature!" and then there's a pregnant pause before Grunt's face, older and now with an eyepatch, appears and says "Shepard."

CUT. TO. BLACK.

Only if Grunt has a massive billowing cape and is standing on the bow of the ship, in vacuum.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I wish Andromeda had just been a new setting. Mass Effect's done, for good or for ill, let's see a new setting - which a new galaxy should be regardless.

I agree with you but from a financial standpoint I see why they went with a soft reboot. I just don't know how much buy in they'd get from fans for a completely new sci-fi franchise when everyone knows how they torched the old one.

Fake edit: Who am I kidding, as long as the aliens were fuc... er, "romanceable" and the characters meme-able then I'd be another IGN 11/10 goty.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I only preordered the deluxe edition ironically

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It will be called MasseffeX-II and be about pretty, pretty dresses.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halloween Jack posted:

Worked through, or worked up?

Joke's on you for not doing Kasumi's mission immediately to pick up the Locust and your 80s cyberpunk James Bond suit.

I didn't get it on PC, just Shadow Broker. :saddowns:

Man ME3 really spoiled me for choice. A whole two pistol choices ME2?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
You know what, I've decided that as long as this game doesn't have the stupid gun weight mechanic from ME3 it's golden

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

It's a Mass Effect game. It's going to be an enjoyable but overwrought space drama with a few annoying voices and some janky animations and a questionable ending and we're all gonna eat it up, and then dissect it's flaws until the sequel comes out.

The only real question in my mind is if they can keep the multiplayer intact.

That, and I better be able to punch a reporter.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

King Bahamut posted:

You know what, I've decided that as long as this game doesn't have the stupid gun weight mechanic from ME3 it's golden
They've changed it fairly significantly- there's no more +200% from being REALLY lightweight, it's just an increasing penalty for being overweight. There's also a lot more variety in charge-based powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

Man ME3 really spoiled me for choice. A whole two pistol choices ME2?

Three with paid DLC! Also the second shotgun is worse than the first in just about every way.

8one6 posted:

I agree with you but from a financial standpoint I see why they went with a soft reboot. I just don't know how much buy in they'd get from fans for a completely new sci-fi franchise when everyone knows how they torched the old one.

Fake edit: Who am I kidding, as long as the aliens were fuc... er, "romanceable" and the characters meme-able then I'd be another IGN 11/10 goty.

It's a Bioware RPG, it's virtually a genre unto itself these days with some weak competition from Obsidian.

Still, Inquisition was such a clusterfuck of atrocious gameplay and hideously unlikable companions and supporting NPCs that I'm going to wait and see what the thread says about Andromeda before I buy.

Bioware/EA is angling for sequels, though, given that a couple of the interviews have mentioned the game coming with a Mass Effect version of the Dragon Age Keep.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Deakul posted:

Doesn't draw and quarter Casey Hudson in the opening cinematic; no Mass Effect game can be good until this happens.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arglebargle III posted:

Doesn't draw and quarter Casey Hudson in the opening cinematic; no Mass Effect game can be good until this happens.

it's true, known badgames such as Mass Effect (Casey Hudson: project director) and Mass Effect 2 (Casey Hudson: still project director) were sorely lacking such an event. if only they'd had this they would have been good but oh well

RBA Starblade posted:

A whole two pistol choices ME2?

More like a straight upgrade path, at least with pistols. I did some ini editing and a fairly minor change (something like +4 rounds per magazine? Maybe 5?) to the starter pistol would've kept it as a competitive choice but as it was, "starter -> Carnifex/Phalanx" was the only way to go

I like the idea of fewer, but meaningful choices and all, but they kinda missed it for pistols. They did get it better with SMGs (Tempest v Locust was a reasonable choice) and so on, so hey.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 1, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ainsley McTree posted:

I only preordered the deluxe edition ironically

:same:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"Good news, Ryders! Thanks to the results of destroy/control/synthesis, our ships can travel even faster than before and the trip between galaxies can be done in a few minutes!" - A returning character in MEA2, probably

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

MEA doesn't acknowledge the endings of ME3 tho, It seems they're trying to skip that ME3 even happened with this.

Correct. That's literally why MEA is happening - it's a reboot without completely rebooting ME1 and 2 because otherwise the franchise is stone cold dead.

ME3 is *waves hands* no longer a factor here.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hobo Clown posted:

"Good news, Ryders! Thanks to the results of destroy/control/synthesis, our ships can travel even faster than before and the trip between galaxies can be done in a few minutes!" - A returning character in MEA2, probably

All three endings are canon. Shepard chose Control, then built another Crucible and Synthesized the galaxy, then when the rebuilding of the galaxy was complete Destroyed all the Reapers. Then fabricated herself a new humanoid body and dug it out of the rubble of the Citadel.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

precision posted:

It will turn out that the entire game is a simulation being played out in Shepard's mind while she's dead, before ME2 even happens. Andromeda 2 will be called Mass Effect II-2

I'd be 100% down for this. I'd also be down for a remake/remix Mass Effect Trilogy game that changes the story of 3 to something different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Psion posted:

it's true, known badgames such as Mass Effect (Casey Hudson: project director) and Mass Effect 2 (Casey Hudson: still project director) were sorely lacking such an event. if only they'd had this they would have been good but oh well

The Crucible's energies radiate both forward and backward in spacetime, rendering all of Mass Effect history red, blue, green, and poo poo.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I don't actually think it would've been hard to make a sequel to ME3 if you just accept the destroy ending as canon. The other two obviously are too destructive to the setting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ME4 set in a post-Control God-Shepard Autocracy 100 years after ME3. Shepard is now basically TIM only competent and all-powerful. You have to build the perfect squad to take him down... or die trying.

THIS poo poo WRITES ITSELF PEOPLE

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nichael posted:

I don't actually think it would've been hard to make a sequel to ME3 if you just accept the destroy ending as canon. The other two obviously are too destructive to the setting.

:crossarms:

I mean, other than the fact that everyone's green now, Synthesis is probably the most "life goes on much the same as it ever did" ending. It's just really lovely to have one person make a universal decision for every single living thing in the galaxy.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Kurieg posted:

:crossarms:

I mean, other than the fact that everyone's green now, Synthesis is probably the most "life goes on much the same as it ever did" ending. It's just really lovely to have one person make a universal decision for every single living thing in the galaxy.

That's kind of true. I think I would've preferred something in the original setting but Andromeda's fine. I don't care that much because all of ME's series long plots kind of wrapped up in ME3 so ignoring the old games isn't a huge deal. It'd be harder to do that with Dragon Age.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Even if you ignore the endings themselves, there's things like the genophage being cured or not, quarian vs geth thing, whether the rachni exist...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Avalerion posted:

Even if you ignore the endings themselves, there's things like the genophage being cured or not, quarian vs geth thing, whether the rachni exist...

The writers could always just make the choices themselves. Every player's play through for the old trilogy doesn't have to be cannon.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Are the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes linked

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nichael posted:

That's kind of true. I think I would've preferred something in the original setting but Andromeda's fine. I don't care that much because all of ME's series long plots kind of wrapped up in ME3 so ignoring the old games isn't a huge deal. It'd be harder to do that with Dragon Age.

Mostly because Dragon Age seems deathly allergic to acknowledging the really big binary choices from Origins. Golems vs Dwarves or Elves vs Werewolves. The Mage Chantry one doesn't matter in the long run because either all the mages are loving dead or the chantries don't exist anymore.

e: They even had Leliana come back as a Crow Ghost if you killed her.

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

ME4 set in a post-Control God-Shepard Autocracy 100 years after ME3. Shepard is now basically TIM only competent and all-powerful. You have to build the perfect squad to take him down... or die trying.

THIS poo poo WRITES ITSELF PEOPLE

No, Reaper Shepard is the DLC companion. Bioware makes no attempt to balance her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Fried Watermelon posted:

Are the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes linked

Extremely