Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Presented without comment with Palladium House Ads excised. TL;DR: it seems that Carmen Bellaire survived his suicide attempt.

quote:

UPDATE: Carmen Bellaire doing better

The past week has been one of the most harrowing and longest of our lives. For those of you who have not yet heard, last Friday, freelance writer, game designer and dear friend, Carmen Bellaire tried to take his own life. By the grace of God, his wife, a nurse, found him before it was too late.

I am happy to report that Carmen is doing as well as can be expected, recuperating and feeling better and stronger every day. I would like to thank everyone – family, friends, freelancers, backers, retailers, game developers, etc. – who have extended their sincere words of support to Carmen and his family. Palladium has been passing such positive encouragement on to him and his family, and they appreciate all the support. Carmen is recovering nicely, and we are continuing to keep him and his family in our prayers. I will continue to post news regarding Carmen's health and recovery in the Weekly Update. We are all hoping for a speedy recovery. Knowing Carmen, he’ll be back in no time.

quote:

UPDATE: Uncertain Rifts® Board Game from Rogue Heroes™ LLC

Last week I reported Carmen’s plan to launch his Rifts® Board Game Kickstarter at the middle or end of April. That date is now very much in question. In a recent conversation with Carmen, he expressed his intention to press forward with the Rifts board game as soon as he can. While I applaud his sentiment and dedication, it is too soon for him to make that decision, and I told him he should not rush into things. My guess is the Kickstarter launch will be delayed a few weeks, if not a few months.

I pray with all my heart Carmen does, indeed, find his way back to game design and is able to follow his heart and his dream. I want him to make the Rifts® board game a huge success, not for my welfare, but for his, and for all the people who share HIS dream. That includes those of you who are anxiously anticipating the Rifts® board game, and I include myself among your numbers. The game is going to be filled with gorgeous, detailed miniatures that will have many uses and applications outside the board game itself, as well as cool playing maps, cards, etc. and endless hours of fun.

The Rifts® board game has never been only about Carmen, and certainly not about me or Palladium. It is about his dream and the hardworking team of sculptors, artists, helpers and family members being carried along with him because they share that dream. A lot of people are involved in making this game. It is about the just reward for the gutsy financial investment (no small sum), hard work, and dedication to make a game that will delight gamers everywhere. I also have a very selfish reason for Carmen to get strong again, finish the game and make it a monumental success. I want to see the joy on my friend’s face when he rises like the Phoenix and is able to realize his dream and share his love of Rifts® and gaming with others to enjoy.

If there is no Rifts® board game, we are totally okay with that. And I have told this to Carmen. He told me he plans to finish what he has started and wants to get back to work on it and other projects soon. Our concern is for Carmen’s health and well being. We hope to see him encouraged (not pushed) to get back into what he loves and enjoys. And he loves making fun, entertaining games more than anything else.

If and when he is ready and able to continue to produce the Rifts® board game, we intend to support his efforts 100%. We hope many of you will too, because the game is top notch, the sculpts are incredible, and it is all made with love and a fierce dedication to fun.

Of course, we will keep you informed as to Carmen’s progress on all fronts. For more details about the Rifts® miniature game, go to the Rogue Heroes Publishing Facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/RogueHeroesPublishing

quote:

Carmen, words, dreams and all of us

I have been struggling with my words since last Friday when I learned about Carmen’s attempt to take his own life. So I hope what follows comes across as the positive message of hope that I intend it to be.
The news about Carmen probably surprised you. It shocked and devastated all of us. Carmen had been on top of the world, posting all over the place about his upcoming April Kickstarter for his Rifts® board game being produced under license from Palladium Books. For Carmen this is a huge deal. If the Kickstarter is the big success he hopes it will be, not only will the Rifts® board game (another one of his dreams) become a game for us all to play and enjoy, but it will help launch Carmen’s own company, Rogue Heroes LLC. Moreover, he hopes it will enable him to quit his 9-5 day job to dedicate himself full-time exclusively to creating games.

This is a lifelong dream and something Carmen has been working hard to make a reality. He and his team have been working on the Rifts® board game and its many components for the last 2-3 years or so. In addition to making his own games, it should give him the opportunity to return to Robotech® and help Palladium with our plans for the relaunch of Robotech® RPG Tactics and further develop the game line in a big way. Exciting for both of us. RRT is another project Carmen is passionate about, but he has not had the time to do anything with it, because of his other commitments – two full-time jobs, the 9-5 job and his game design work for Upper Deck, plus his own game design work on the side, and his family! With the announcement of his Rifts® board game Kickstarter and the strong positive response it was garnering, it seemed like all that time, money and hard work was on the cusp of paying off.

I do not know the weight of everything Carmen has been carrying on his shoulders, but the tipping point came when he fell under hostile verbal fire and threats to undermine his upcoming Rifts® board game Kickstarter. The heated words shocked and overwhelmed him. They felt like an attack. Pushed him into despair, and sent his thoughts and emotions careening into darkness. Suddenly, to him, it seemed like everything was ruined and it was his fault. In the haze of his mental state at that moment, his dreams were shattered. Not just HIS dreams, but the dreams of all the people he was carrying with him — the sculptors, the artists, his family, and others – to whom this game and their shared dream meant so much. In a moment of blinding pain and despair, Carmen made a horrible choice.

I write this with the permission of Carmen and his family in the hopes that it may help others who suddenly find themselves in Carmen’s shoes: Alone, overwhelmed with grief and a sense of loss and pain with no rational idea of where to turn, or what to do except to find a way to stop the pain. And to remind us that words hurt in ways we may not realize or understand. That we should ALL try to stop and think about what we say and how we say it. Carmen himself can be the proverbial bull in the china shop, and sometimes speak without thinking or without choosing his words more carefully. We all do. But in this world of social media and our own hot emotions, it is easy to forget, and before we know it, we are tearing someone down or destroying their dream, perhaps without even realizing it or thinking about the possible consequences.

Do I believe the words leveled at him were intended to drive a man to do the unthinkable? Absolutely not. But those words were intended to hurt, and they did their job well. And against somebody who did not deserve their wrath or anger. The possible consequences of those words were never considered. In the heat of the moment, only the anger, frustration and condemning words mattered against a new target that wandered into their path. I implore everyone to please try to stop doing that. We need to try to be more thoughtful to others and think about what we say.

The message that follows is for ALL OF YOU who have a dream or a gift – a talent – you are burning to share. Please do not let harsh words, or naysayers and bullies, shame you or scare you into hiding your talents and throwing away your dreams. It is not easy to be who you are and to follow your dreams. There are always people, some well-intentioned, some unwittingly, some envious, and some full of pain or anger themselves, who will try to crush you and destroy your dreams. They use words to make you afraid to step up and unleash your talent. Words used to make accusations and threats to beat you down, crush your dreams and shatter your spirit along with it. To the dreamers, I say do not let them do it. Ignore them and follow your dream. To the rest of us, please try not to be that guy. Try to be more open and sympathetic, understanding and supportive. Role-playing gamers, imagine yourself in that person’s shoes and find the commonality between you. Empathy is good. Use it.

Dreamers be warned, it is not an easy road to travel, but so very worthwhile, if you can handle the heat. It is scary taking even the first step to follow your dream. You are probably entering new territory, learning, and investing a massive amount of time, money, and your heart and soul into your endeavor. Daring to follow your dream takes courage and tenacity. That makes you unique and different, because most people never find the guts to follow their dream. When you are different, you become a target. And you may be attacked for being different or making your voice heard, or any number of reasons. You may be ridiculed or attacked by more people than you could imagine for reasons you cannot fathom, and by some you would never expect.

A lot of the time, I don’t think the person saying harsh, callous and even outright cruel, hateful things realizes they are even doing it. They just speak their mind. They do not consider how their words, jokes or condemnation may hurt the target of their verbal melee. We have all done it. Others are upset about something else and you just happen to catch their wrath. Of course, some don’t care and some enjoy being cruel, but I would like to think they are a tiny minority. Most of us just don’t think about what we are saying.

I grew up in Detroit, a factory town. For most people, cars and working the factory or a related industry was the way of life for honest, hardworking folk. Being an artist or writer was not part of their world. So wanting to become one was a fool’s dream and a waste of time. I was told by people who meant well, that I needed to grow up and stop dreaming. To be practical and accept my fate like the rest of them. I heard that all the time, including from people who cared and were trying to have my back; my Grandfather among them. They were trying to protect me from disappointment. Others could not understand my dream or why it mattered so much to me, some were envious, and some were just bullies. I had to fight for my dream, and those I describe above were the least of my battles. There have been times in my life where the whole world has seemed to be conspiring against that dream. It was not true, of course, but sometimes it can feel that way. When it does, step back, take a deep breath, groan and complain to your best friend or anyone who will listen without being too judgmental, and stay on track. By the way, there will be other times when living your dream feels like heaven.

When you are the target of hatred that besieges you with relentless negativity and harsh, condemning words, it can seem to engulf you. Words can become weapons. You feel crushed. Suffocating under the weight that threatens to bury you alive, while at the same time pummeling and cutting you, tearing out your guts, stabbing you in the heart, taking your very soul. If you let it. Melodramatic? Over the top? Think again. I know a beautiful, compassionate, and talented young girl whose voice has been all but silenced by her tormentors. Her talent stifled and hidden, because of the bullies and their relentless attacks. She struggles with it, but she doesn’t know how to cope, how to fight back against the relentless persecution, lies and hate. So she turns it inward, hurts herself, wonders if she is the freak they tell her she is. She feels alone because she does not fit in, yet at the same time, she cannot stop being who she is.

Well from one freak to another, keep fighting. Find a way to be you. That goes for all of you gentle souls who are freaks and geeks, because you don’t fit in, have something to say, or dare to dream of something different for yourself and for your friends, your family, and maybe even the whole world. Do NOT let the cutting words or the bullies take away your joy. Cling to it with every fiber of your being. Find a way to keep your joy and nurture your talents, your goodness, your dreams and everything that is you. Perhaps most important of all, remember this pain when you have the urge to put someone else down or when it is easy to jump to a conclusion or believe hearsay because it’s juicy and thrilling. AND DO NOT INFLICT THIS PAIN UPON SOMEONE ELSE.

I pray to God with all my heart that Carmen finds his way back to us and is able to follow his heart and his dream. I want the Rifts® board game to be a huge success so that it can become the springboard to ALL of his games. Oh my gosh, he has so many incredible ideas for games of all kinds. He is a true genius at game design.

I know Carmen is fighting hard to recover and realize his dreams. We should all follow his good example. We all make mistakes, small and large. We all stumble and fall. It is how you pick yourself up and find a way to continue that matters. With any luck, you have someone or a lot of someones to lend a helping hand.

Our heartfelt encouragement goes out to everyone who feels different, has ideas and talent to share with the world, and a dream they need to follow. May you find a happy ending to your story. And know that everyone at Palladium Books is rooting you on.

I want to leave you with a quote from the work of Neil Gaiman:

“There are so many fragile things, after all. People break so easily, and so do dreams and hearts.
– With Love and Sincerity, Kevin Siembieda, Eternal Dreamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Presented without comment with Palladium House Ads excised. TL;DR: it seems that Carmen Bellaire survived his suicide attempt.

Well at least something positive came of that mess. My sincerest hope is that that guy gets better, gets some help, and finds a vastly less toxic star to hitch his wagon to.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I don't know if it's just because I read too many Rifts books that everything Kevin Siembieda wrote in these posts comes off as exaggerated, contrived and insincere, or if it's for some other reason.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

some loving LIAR posted:

I don't know if it's just because I read too many Rifts books that everything Kevin Siembieda wrote in these posts comes off as exaggerated, contrived and insincere, or if it's for some other reason.

Nope, I don't know anything about the guy and I was cringing through that whole thing. Waaaay too much selling for a post about a guy's suicide attempt.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
This is great news for the Rifts Board Game.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Golden Bee posted:

You forgot an ®

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

Ahem. Rifts>>>>®<<<< board game.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Nope, I don't know anything about the guy and I was cringing through that whole thing. Waaaay too much selling for a post about a guy's suicide attempt.

Having read a fair amount of Rifts books recently (partially for kitch, partially for Savage Rifts material), the thing that makes it come off less bad to me is I think Kevin Siembieda is physically incapable of writing in any other style.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 28, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

some loving LIAR posted:

It really strikes me as painfully sincere, actually - from what I've read and heard from Palladium writers, he doesn't have much of a filter.

Also I'm glad I found a tool to convert HTML to SA code, so I didn't have to go in and re-text that stuff by hand. Siembieda loves to use that bold text.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It sounds like he is trying to spin a failed suicide into a feel sorry for us and buy our things post.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yeah that's a super painful read if you're empathising with Bellaire - KS is paternalistic as gently caress there, and spending waaaay too much time talking knowingly about what's in Carmen's head.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Someone please create a greasemonkey script that replaces Rifts®Board®Game® with "millennial" thanks

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

It sounds like he is trying to spin a failed suicide into a feel sorry for us and buy our things post.

You should see the original post. But that's not an anomaly or anything, it's how every Palladium weekly (or so) update looks, it's always peppered all over with sales adverts. The Bellaire news comes after a Rifter advert. You'd think such a tragic event would be given its own update and not have blather about Kevin trying to sell his toy collection... or at least put the Bellaire news the top of the list, but it's the way he always does the weekly updates, and...

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Modiphius' ongoing delays (15 months late) and shoddy handling of the Infinity Kickstarter pushed me over my edge of 'giving a gently caress' with their latest update, and their responses to my refund request/demand put me from 'who cares, it was just £40' into 'yes i'll spend money to obtain an insignificant amount of money back because gently caress you, we have consumer rights in this country (UK)'.

I suspect that their desperation not to give me a refund is because of worrying about the floodgates opening, but in denying it they're amusingly opening themselves up to actual legal problems because the UK/EU has consumer law that actually protects the consumer.

So I'm a few days away from starting a small claims court action against them and passing it over to Trading Standards. Not that they'll do anything unless dozens/hundreds (hah!) of people complain, given how trading standards works, but their responses to me have confirmed them as a lovely company with the standard non-business aware owner who is riding the wave of kickstarter money and terrified about it all falling apart.

Edit: And amusingly 30 or so minutes after more people were asking about refunds and how to get them I was suddenly refunded and my pledge cancelled.

PST fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 1, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Freeport Companion for Shadow of the Demon Lord has launched today, and I know there's a few SotDL fans here.

e: it actually just launched; it's just a weird timeframe that threw me off.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 1, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Freeport Companion for Shadow of the Demon Lord has apparently been going on for a few days, and I know there's a few SotDL fans here.

Hell yeah. Gonna get in on this as soon as I get home. Pirates + SotDL sounds fantastic.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Gonna set a reminder for that, my kickstarter budget took a hit because I went in hard on...uh, Dusk City Outlaws at the last minute after learning they got John Rogers -and- Scott Lynch to do contributing stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scott Lynch comes out of the RPG community. He's a friend of the people who did the famous FATAL review. Nice to see he hasn't forgotten his roots.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

Freeport Companion for Shadow of the Demon Lord has launched today, and I know there's a few SotDL fans here.

e: it actually just launched; it's just a weird timeframe that threw me off.

What are the chances that physical copies of this book go to retail? I know the core book of SotDL is for sale now, but did any of the supplements get wide release?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I honestly don't know. I think most of what he does is POD.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Jedit posted:

Scott Lynch comes out of the RPG community. He's a friend of the people who did the famous FATAL review. Nice to see he hasn't forgotten his roots.

And John Rogers is such a nerd that the last series he worked on, he named the main character's shadowy mission-giving employer "Mr. Johnson"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/basketofdeplorables/basket-of-deplorables-the-board-game?ref=category_newest

Haha, here's another stupid political board game KS. This time it's actually anti-Trump as opposed to a kneejerk anti-Clinton/liberals game, but it's just as stupid and poorly thought out as the rest.

I seriously don't know who would want to pledge for this poo poo.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Jedit posted:

He's a former RPGnet member, but I don't know him - he's a pretty cool dude, judging from the success of the Gentleman Bastards series.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

JazzFlight posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/basketofdeplorables/basket-of-deplorables-the-board-game?ref=category_newest

Haha, here's another stupid political board game KS. This time it's actually anti-Trump as opposed to a kneejerk anti-Clinton/liberals game, but it's just as stupid and poorly thought out as the rest.

Politicans are basically celebrities who have no rights to their image or name due to the fact they're public figures and the emotions about the current politicians couldn't be more heated and polarized. Not surprised some people see a business opportunity.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

PST posted:

Modiphius' ongoing delays (15 months late) and shoddy handling of the Infinity Kickstarter pushed me over my edge of 'giving a gently caress' with their latest update, and their responses to my refund request/demand put me from 'who cares, it was just £40' into 'yes i'll spend money to obtain an insignificant amount of money back because gently caress you, we have consumer rights in this country (UK)'.

I suspect that their desperation not to give me a refund is because of worrying about the floodgates opening, but in denying it they're amusingly opening themselves up to actual legal problems because the UK/EU has consumer law that actually protects the consumer.

So I'm a few days away from starting a small claims court action against them and passing it over to Trading Standards. Not that they'll do anything unless dozens/hundreds (hah!) of people complain, given how trading standards works, but their responses to me have confirmed them as a lovely company with the standard non-business aware owner who is riding the wave of kickstarter money and terrified about it all falling apart.

Edit: And amusingly 30 or so minutes after more people were asking about refunds and how to get them I was suddenly refunded and my pledge cancelled.

I honestly have not kept up with it just because it's been this huge blur. Have they even sent out the miniatures yet?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Things I don't want to think about when I'm having fun:
  • Dog Meat Farms
  • Surströmming
  • Anything related to the current political situation in America

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

Huh? Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3e, and Thunderbirds Boardgame all arrived right on time for me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Covok posted:

Politicans are basically celebrities who have no rights to their image or name due to the fact they're public figures and the emotions about the current politicians couldn't be more heated and polarized. Not surprised some people see a business opportunity.
The board game KS I just bought in order to play through my feelings of the current political situation in America is Black Orchestra.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Huh? Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3e, and Thunderbirds Boardgame all arrived right on time for me.

Their Infinity team hit a real set of snags. They ended up with way more stretch goals than they could realistically support, I recall there being some staff turnover and accidents that delayed things, and Corvus Belli are pretty controlling with their license, so everything's having to go through their ~*lore wizard*~ for approval, which means a hell of a lot of drafts and delays.

Like, the thing's gonna come out, and they've been working on it since the funding campaign ended, but it's gonna be really late. Some people hate this, some people don't care.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

grassy gnoll posted:

Their Infinity team hit a real set of snags. They ended up with way more stretch goals than they could realistically support, I recall there being some staff turnover and accidents that delayed things, and Corvus Belli are pretty controlling with their license, so everything's having to go through their ~*lore wizard*~ for approval, which means a hell of a lot of drafts and delays.

Like, the thing's gonna come out, and they've been working on it since the funding campaign ended, but it's gonna be really late. Some people hate this, some people don't care.

Basically this. I backed Mutant Chronicles and Achtung! Cthulhu. They've chugged along putting out stuff for it. A!C is I think completely done, and MC has like one PDF to go (of over a dozen supplements) before it's finished and ready to make the final book in print. They've been good about communication, and when I ordered the Fate Rulebook for A!C they accidentally sent me the regular rules, then sent me a copy of the Fate Rules free of charge. I have a lot of faith that they will get things done, but it will likely take a long time. Given this prior experience, I'm not really bothered by the delays they have, as I strongly believe I'll eventually get my stuff. Other people seem really pissed off over it. I personally think that trying to make a court case of it over 40 bucks is a huge overreaction, but I assume PST feels like he's being scammed rather than Modiphius just being delayed by a lot of things.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Terminator Boardgame just posted the updated rules

http://terminatorboardgame.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Rules_20170228.pdf

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
What do people think about Satanic Panic?

Satanic Panic is a tabletop roleplaying game set in the fictional 1970’s and 1980’s where players take on the role of secret government agents tasked with combating the evils of tabletop. The players work as a team with the common purpose to contain, control, and eliminate the threats to our world. They must do all this while keeping the truth from the public, lest a panic ensue.

I've backed because I am fascinated by that part of 1980s culture and hope it is worth my $25.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing that they had to redo an entire section of the corebook at some point because they accidentally contradicted information the Corvus Belli Lore guy had not seen fit to give them and that had not yet appeared in any published source for Infinity, so they literally had no way of knowing that it was wrong.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
On one hand, nerdy poo poo causing horrible things is a time-honoured schtick.

On the other hand, I grew up during that period and the ignorance still burns.

On the naughty tentacle, I'm not dropping $25 USD sight unseen on a PDF, especially when its gimmick could easily end up more Halloween III than Stranger Things.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bieeardo posted:

On the naughty tentacle, I'm not dropping $25 USD sight unseen on a PDF, especially when its gimmick could easily end up more Halloween III than Stranger Things.

Same. I might pay $10, but the only way I'm paying that much for a PDF is for licensed products or something with really high production values. I'm also not enthused with the cycle of play they're laying out.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Bieeardo posted:

could easily end up more Halloween III than Stranger Things.

Uh, this is the best possible outcome.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Bieeardo posted:

If you pledge you can access their playtest document which is included in the first update. So if you're curious you could pledge a dollar, download the playtest, then cancel your pledge if you don't like what you see.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

fr0id posted:

I personally think that trying to make a court case of it over 40 bucks is a huge overreaction, but I assume PST feels like he's being scammed rather than Modiphius just being delayed by a lot of things.

PST was pretty clear that they think $40 is not worth going to court over, but reminding a US company that they don't have the legal right to deny refund requests from customers outside the US is.

Denying refunds is one of the quickest ways to make your company look super scummy to non-US customers.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

HazCat posted:

PST was pretty clear that they think $40 is not worth going to court over, but reminding a US company that they don't have the legal right to deny refund requests from customers outside the US is.

Denying refunds is one of the quickest ways to make your company look super scummy to non-US customers.

It's a U.K. Company and they did give him a refund. He didn't post the wording they gave him of being evasive about the refund, which I think would be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

fr0id posted:

It's a U.K. Company and they did give him a refund. He didn't post the wording they gave him of being evasive about the refund, which I think would be important.

Even worse if it's a UK company, because then they have no excuse not to be aware of consumer laws involved. They just straight up tried to break the law over $40.

Again, any initial response to a refund request that even implies you can't get your money back is super scummy. Giving in and refunding once it becomes apparent your customer knows their rights doesn't get you any brownie points, because it means if they didn't, you'd be happy to exploit them.