Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Monolith. posted:

A general rule: if you're getting stunlocked, hit block as fast as you can. You can also dodge while you're blocking.

Does dodging while blocking leave you vulnerable at all? Like, can you be hit out of it by an attack that is otherwise blockable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Does dodging while blocking leave you vulnerable at all? Like, can you be hit out of it by an attack that is otherwise blockable?

feels like it opens a window of vulnerability during the dodge itself

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You drop your guard specifically while you're dodging and then block again as soon as you're done. So during any parts of the dodge that don't have i-frames, you're vulnerable.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Assuming I frames are in the beginning of the dodge, I'd say no.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

I'm having a really hard time finding weapons/play style that clicks for me in this game. Partly just due to the many options. Swords seem good but perhaps boring, and the skills tend to focus on parries and Iai moves. I'm practicing but am pretty bad at the parry timing windows.

Dual swords seem kind of fun, I like the fast attacks but the skills seem bland. I've had some fun with spears, though this game likes to stick you in tight passages and spears don't seem to excel there. The ax is fun for high stance combos, but seems like a one-trick pony. Not sure what to make of kusarigama; it's been fun but seems like you'd want to go with a ninja build to make the most of it (which could be cool?)

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I really want to like this game as a huge Bloodborne fan, and was hoping Nioh would scratch that itch. But if I can't get it to click I may throw in the towel.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Don't dismiss swords. Parrying is not really the focus here, swords might be the most dps for your ki in the whole game. Swords are a good all-rounder tho. Ki Sword is amazing, so is Iaido and Sword of Discernment.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just keep playing until you like something? I'm not sure how we are supposed to help you

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll just throw out that spears are actually really good in tight corridors. The mid stance triangle combo is all pokes so you don't hit the walls and if you pick up the piercing rain skill you can do square + triangle in heavy stance as another thrusting option.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014
My quest for 100.0 smithing texts has no end :negative:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

I'm having a really hard time finding weapons/play style that clicks for me in this game. Partly just due to the many options.

Swords are very, very, very good, especially in the late game. The Sword of Execution mystic art gives you a massive damage bonus when you hit enemies from behind on top of the damage bonus you already get for that. They're straightforward and extremely effective. As for the Iai Quickdraw moves, don't try to use them on enemies that are up and moving around until you get a very good feeling for the timing. Instead, use them when you knock an enemy down (for example, buy hitting them with a light attack when they're out of Ki)--it does a ton of damage and also resets their "downed" time, so you can do it again or just stab them for even more damage.

Try to learn the parry timings if you can, because it's the easiest way to set up that knockdown -> Iai Quickdraw -> stab combo. The only parry that's worth your time is Haze, and that's only if you get the Haze II upgrade. The parry timing in Nioh is different for each kind of parry and it really sort of comes down to muscle memory--you have to react much more quickly to the enemy's attack to parry it successfully than you do in Bloodborne or Souls. Once you get it, though, it's so, so, so satisfying.

MMF Freeway is right about spears, too. Use the mid stance triangle (heavy attack) combo in tight areas to do thrusts so you won't bounce off walls. Eventually, you can get the Stability mystic art, which makes it so your spear attacks never bounce off walls. You seem to like spears more than swords or dual swords, so try to keep using them, and use thrusts when you're in tight spaces.

I can't agree that dual sword skills are bland. They let you turn William into a blender in multiple ways!

Kusarigama are good even without a ninjutsu build, though they do share a primary stat with ninjutsu so you might as well. They have great range, great sweeps, and do excellent damage up-close with the Reaper skill (another "turn William into a blender" attack). Kusarigama work well with magic, too, because their fast hits mean you can build up elemental status effects quickly.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll mess around with swords more and look into some of those spear skills too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll mess around with swords more and look into some of those spear skills too.

Here's a video of someone clowning on enemies with a sword in NG+ if you want some inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS51HqgiYY

And a video of that same player showcasing how the dual swords' blender mode works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_plk4Ohlqg

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Harrow posted:

Here's a video of someone clowning on enemies with a sword in NG+ if you want some inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS51HqgiYY

And a video of that same player showcasing how the dual swords' blender mode works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_plk4Ohlqg

Geez, that last one where her ki is depleted and he goes into blender mode (water sword?) is nuts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

Geez, that last one where her ki is depleted and he goes into blender mode (water sword?) is nuts.

Yeah, that's Water Sword. You can do the same with the kusarigama's Reaper skill, too. That's what speedrunners are using right now to melt boss health bars.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I thought you guys were joking but that move is literally called Random Slice. Can't say I'm too surprised.

Most of the weapons will feel a little bland before you start unlocking combo enders and parries and such. I was down on dual swords are first but now that I have a variety of blender moves unlocked it melts revenants and human bosses easily.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's Water Sword and Random Slice. Water Sword is stationary but Random Slice makes you dash forward in blender mode.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Harrow posted:

There's Water Sword and Random Slice. Water Sword is stationary but Random Slice makes you dash forward in blender mode.

Random slice is fun when you are able to get it to stick on a mook and you're pushing it back while slicing it up. it's cathartic. Most of the time though I get one, maybe two hits in while I bounce off it and run by.

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005
Can you get any really good drops from shooting crows? Because so far I'm pretty much just breaking even on the arrows I'm using to shoot them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can't ki pulse back your ki from random slice, but you can from water sword. So I'm trying to get the hang of fluxing to mid stsnce after water sword so I can random slice uo to the next enemy. But honestly, making passes st enemies with random slice is stupidly effective.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Any light armor set bonuses ideal for dual swords/kusarigama?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Any light armor set bonuses ideal for dual swords/kusarigama?

Justice Ministry has a dual swords bonus and a dual swords as part of the set.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

You can't ki pulse back your ki from random slice, but you can from water sword. So I'm trying to get the hang of fluxing to mid stsnce after water sword so I can random slice uo to the next enemy. But honestly, making passes st enemies with random slice is stupidly effective.

You should flux to Low then Mid. You get more Ki back.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

You should flux to Low then Mid. You get more Ki back.

Well yeah, but I still can't flux reliably, so I'm practicing doing it the simpler way.

Edit: can't flux out of water sword reliably.

Snak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 2, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Belzac posted:

Press the block button.

It took me 4 regions to learn this. Pressing the block button does a block. It's a good block.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Nioh - Yes, your sword can block cannon balls

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Learnin Derby posted:

Can you get any really good drops from shooting crows? Because so far I'm pretty much just breaking even on the arrows I'm using to shoot them.

I just beat the game and did not know you could shoot crows

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm on 100 tries for the red demon spear text now. Rip

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Can you craft +1(or above) gear? Or just divine 150

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

RC Cola posted:

I'm on 100 tries for the red demon spear text now. Rip

2 tries later I got it woo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zelah posted:

Can you craft +1(or above) gear? Or just divine 150

Yea. I want to say I have crafted a +3 but I'm probably mistaken. You can definitely craft +1's though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's just random. About 50% of the greens I craft are +1s. But I've never forged anything higher.

Risky
May 18, 2003

I thought summoning visitors didn't require PSplus. My subscription expired and it wouldn't let me summon anyone. loving lame.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Same. I tried for the first time the other day and actually forgot that premium online was a thing after Bloodborne.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Do things like the sandalwood splinters and tortoiseshell hairpins have any purpose besides popping them for amrita?

Learnin Derby
Jan 26, 2005

zelah posted:

I just beat the game and did not know you could shoot crows

I tried it just to see what would happen when I got my first bow. I haven't got anything good, just ammo and I think a couple stones. But I would think it wouldn't be in the game if you couldn't get something of value. Then again this is a souls like game so getting little to no benefit for the effort could be as designed.

And I finally went and fought spider bitch again without using sloth and she was still pretty easy, even while hacking up a lung from pneumonia. It's weird playing a game where regular enemies can cause me more trouble than bosses. I'm hoping the DLC will add more enemy types and make boss fights more epic than they have been.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Harrow posted:

Justice Ministry has a dual swords bonus and a dual swords as part of the set.

and you get to look amazing in white and purple

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I shot a crow by mistake and felt pretty bad about it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The floor is littered with the corpses of idiots who wear red demon armor.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Man I am awful at this - I might have hosed up my build. I wanted to do the chain sickle thing and raised dex and skill to 15, and body to 8. I'm on the second mission and stuck on the bat lady boss - not sure I've even gotten her below half. The chain whip doesn't seem great there so I've been doing double swords, but I can't seem to safely get more than 1 swing in, and even then, I'm having a ton of trouble dodging the big spinning move that summons a yokai region. Then, she gets all her stamina back because after that move, I don't even have time to low-stance quick attack purify without getting hit again.

This boss was my first real road bump and I felt pretty similar to you. Most of the game after this point has felt significantly easier for me, partly because I understand the games systems better and partly because you just get more tools after a few more levels.

If you haven't figured out how farming revenants works this is a good time. Keep an eye out for high level revenants and fight then for their gear. They're generally not too difficult and you can often find them right near shrines so it's not a huge risk. This will help you get geared up more appropriately. I didn't figure this out until a few missions after the bat boss but it's very helpful.

Besides that, just be patient. Block her spin attack. I found I could generally get a hit or 2 in safely after the front flip kick, the 3 swing umbrella attack, and the scream attack.

If you want to redo your build anyways, it's not expensive. The books seem pretty cheaply priced and I've already respec'd a few times for fun around level 45x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

and you get to look amazing in white and purple

Hell yeah, Justice Ministry looks rad as hell.