Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Truths

http://i.imgur.com/p8SVaWV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

"Like"
"+1"
":yeah:"

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
If only Jay let Barry loiter in the future about 8 seconds longer, he would have seen the headline "City still cleaning Kid Flash's remains off of street."

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I like that Barry's tactic is to just run in a straight line toward Grodd. This episode was kind of fun but bogged down by some just really dumb poo poo.

Apes are expensive, let's spend 15 minutes dealing with a "nuke". Boy, Barry brute forcing a keypad sure is heroic. Every time he does that trick I'm like "There is no way that hardware can process entries that fast, my garage door screws up if I input my code too fast at a non-meta-human speed."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Whoever made that is fantastic :allears:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

:allears:

EDIT: there should be a Flash version of :eng99:?

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 1, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I have enjoyed how in the intro Barry says he's the only one fast enough to save Iris when the plan to save her hinges on Wally being faster.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Fru Fru posted:

It was explained (poorly) that she was the only one who knew where Solovar was. It was not explained how she knew. Maybe Grodd made her hide him on yet another Earth.

Well poo poo that just opens even more questions. Like why would Grodd keep him alive? Especially after they drove it in over and over how it's all life or death when dealing with gorilla politics.

:speedforce.gif:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Came here to post this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know, I do kind of wish that Flash and the other Arrowverse shows would do the occasional self-aware opening narration like Mick's "WHO WRITES THIS CRAP?!" intro over on Legends.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Barry: "Guys, punching every number in sequence isn't working."
Everyone: "Well it's all we've got keep doing it."
Barry: "No seriously this isn't working come up with a new plan."
Everyone: "Got nothing keep going."
Barry: "WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ELSE OR PEO- oh hey it worked."

Also it's really lucky for Barry's plan that Solovar tossing Grodd some twenty stories to the street didn't kill him.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Also it's really lucky for Barry's plan that Solovar tossing Grodd some twenty stories to the street didn't kill him.

I mean Barry's plan wasn't just to not kill Grodd. The part of the plan that required Solovar to defeat Grodd and reclaim the loyalty of his soldiers would have worked.

I think they've handled it clumsily, but I don't think Barry - a step-son of a detective who works for the police and dated another police officer - has a problem with lethal force when there is no other option. What he was struggling with is deciding whether to murder Grodd as an easy way to win and keep him from being a threat in the future.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Barry's morality is basically "Look, if a homicidal super villain puts me in a situation where I kill in self defense or to save people or he/she dies because of his/her own actions, than I can live with that. But I don't want to execute anyone."

As said, they've done a clumsy job with it leading to all the jokes about Barry being a serial killer but it's a defensible moral code and fits well with his familiarity with law enforcement. And I think acknowledging that Barry's fights sometimes end in death is a more or less logical move when the show exists in the same world as Arrow. Otherwise the joke would be "its hilarious that Oliver is a serial killer when Barry always manages to magically save the day without killing anyone."

GobiasIndustries posted:

I really like that Harry's 'I'm dying' plot would have actually worked, but nope he was just being his typical rear end in a top hat self :allears:

I love that it wasn't even a plot by Harry, its just something that Wally kind of accidently walked into and Harry was just like "eh, this could maybe work... why not?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I love that it wasn't even a plot by Harry, its just something that Wally kind of accidently walked into and Harry was just like "eh, this could maybe work... why not?"

No he definitely did it on purpose. He said something first and Wally interpreted it as "Don't worry we will visit you a lot" and then Harry tried again and Wally took the bait.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No he definitely did it on purpose. He said something first and Wally interpreted it as "Don't worry we will visit you a lot" and then Harry tried again and Wally took the bait.

That's not how I read it. I saw it as Harry just saying something totally innocent and ambiguous like "time I have with her" and Wally misinterpreting it. Then Harry realized what had happened and leaned into it and led Wally further down the path with intentionally ambiguous language. He purposely mislead Wally, but it wasn't his intention when the conversation started. It just started to happen and he ran with it.

Which is totally the hilarious way because Harry's less of the guy who steals money so much as he's the guy who realizes that they accidently under charged him for something so then buys a ton more of it and re-sells it for a profit.

tldr; it was deliberate on Harry's part but it wasn't pre-meditated.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

STAC Goat posted:

Otherwise the joke would be "its hilarious that Oliver is a serial killer when Barry always manages to magically save the day without killing anyone."
Except that Barry pretty much should be able to avoid killing people, whereas Ollie's power is "shoots arrows", which is hard to do non-lethally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yeah, that's how I saw it too.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I was kind of under the impression that post-Flashpoint reboot Flash was supposed to have been less murdery in this timeline. I don't think he's killed anyone this season, and they don't have their inhumane solitary confinement meta prison anymore. I guess they never officially established that, but that's why I figured everyone was all "mustn't kill."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Knormal posted:

I was kind of under the impression that post-Flashpoint reboot Flash was supposed to have been less murdery in this timeline. I don't think he's killed anyone this season, and they don't have their inhumane solitary confinement meta prison anymore. I guess they never officially established that, but that's why I figured everyone was all "mustn't kill."
I don't think this has ever been confirmed. They really never commented on just how much the timeline changed between S2 and S3 because of Barry loving up. What I remember is:

-Caitlin has powers now
-Cisco's brother died in a DUI and Barry (of this current timeline, not the one we know) refused to go back in time and save him.
-Julian has been working with Barry on CSI for roughly a year or so, and hated his guts.
-Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother being alive and dying, and she only learned about it because Wally suddenly appeared. Because of this Iris has refused to communicate with him one-on-one for many months.
-There is a speed lab where Barry trains to be a better speedster. No word when this was made, but it's not recent.

Additionally neither Harry nor Jesse were affected by the Flashpoint changes because they were on E2, and are just as surprised to learn all this as Barry.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spergatory posted:

:allears:

EDIT: there should be a Flash version of :eng99:?

we have :zoomed:, it's not quite the same but ehn

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anybody ever asked the show's writers, say at a convention panel or FAQ session, why Barry seemed to kill all his bad guys in season two?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Cause Barry is a bad man. Don't let his petulant whining dissuade you.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

lotus circle posted:

I don't think this has ever been confirmed. They really never commented on just how much the timeline changed between S2 and S3 because of Barry loving up. What I remember is:

-Caitlin has powers now
-Cisco's brother died in a DUI and Barry (of this current timeline, not the one we know) refused to go back in time and save him.
-Julian has been working with Barry on CSI for roughly a year or so, and hated his guts.
-Joe didn't tell Iris about her mother being alive and dying, and she only learned about it because Wally suddenly appeared. Because of this Iris has refused to communicate with him one-on-one for many months.
-There is a speed lab where Barry trains to be a better speedster. No word when this was made, but it's not recent.

Additionally neither Harry nor Jesse were affected by the Flashpoint changes because they were on E2, and are just as surprised to learn all this as Barry.
I think there was some line in one of the early episodes this season that metas are confined in some prison now (Blackgate? Iron Heights? one of the standard DC names), so presumably they're not in the basement anymore. Hell, maybe they even actually got a trial! But yeah I guess it's never been clearly defined if that was just from some point on, or if they transferred them all there, or what.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

I think there was some line in one of the early episodes this season that metas are confined in some prison now (Blackgate? Iron Heights? one of the standard DC names), so presumably they're not in the basement anymore. Hell, maybe they even actually got a trial! But yeah I guess it's never been clearly defined if that was just from some point on, or if they transferred them all there, or what.
I think that was actually last season. I remember them still locking people up in their own private prison even after the authorities gained the ability to deal with metas. :shrug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I think that was actually last season. I remember them still locking people up in their own private prison even after the authorities gained the ability to deal with metas. :shrug:

Yeah they first mentioned it last season and everyone was hopeful that it would nix the use of the no-lunch supermax, but then it didn't. This season they've dropped the name several more times and it seems like the procedure is to only hold people when they need to (Julian when he was possessed by Alchemy, Caitlin when she was Killer Frost, Gypsy when she was possessed by Grodd --- so uh basically possessed people I guess??)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, at some point they seemed that shift from kidnapping everyone to kidnapping just the people who they don't want to put in jail because either they're friends, have some value to them, or know Barry's identity.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
My one question is what happened to Tokamak (the not firestorm guy)? They threw him in no-lunch supermax for being angry and threatening to tell on them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The Flash Season 3 - The writers don't care about continuity and neither should you

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Knormal posted:

Yeah all metas are now kept in Iron Heights, but the pipeline prison still clearly exists so that didn't change with the timeline.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Isn't Earth 2 Laurel still in no lunch supermax?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, but she seems to fall into the "knows Barry's secret identity (and everyone else)" category. That's seems to be the primary reason they permanently unlawfully hold people these days.

Of course she's also from a parallel universe so her rights probably aren't technically being violated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MooselanderII posted:

Isn't Earth 2 Laurel still in no lunch supermax?

She got sprung and was on Arrow a few weeks ago.

Spergatory posted:

The Flash Season 3 - The writers don't care about continuity and gently caress you

FTFY

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Of course she's also from a parallel universe so her rights probably aren't technically being violated.
I don't think it's legal to hold people prisoner just because they happen to be foreign.

Rhyno posted:

She got sprung and was on Arrow a few weeks ago.
And then she was recaptured and sent back, wasn't she?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought she got away with Prometheus?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I like that Barry's tactic is to just run in a straight line toward Grodd. This episode was kind of fun but bogged down by some just really dumb poo poo.

So we ran the drawing of a face through EVERY database, the guy is a ghost (but we'll still show the search happening on screen for some reason).
Then HR noticed something - that they guy had a short haircut.
So we ran the drawing of the face through the Department of Defense database... (showing the search and result on screen for some reason)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Rhyno posted:

I thought she got away with Prometheus?
I didn't watch the episode but from what I saw she got one hit punch by Felicity (which is really an apt metaphor brought to life for how Laurel has been treated in comparison to her) and now she's in ARGUS custody (which really may as well be the new SuperMax Prison because almost everyone just gets whisked away there and is never seen again.)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CW released a synopsis of the musical, and I'm a little bummed

Barry and team are surprised when Mon-El and Hank Henshaw arrive on their Earth carrying a comatose Supergirl who was whammied by the Music Meister . Unable to wake her up, they turn to Team Flash to save her. However, the Music Meister surprises The Flash and puts him in a similar coma, one that Team Flash can’t cure. Kara and Barry wake up without their powers in an alternate reality where life is like a musical and the only way to escape is by following the script, complete with singing and dancing, to the end. Dermott Downs directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#317). Original airdate 3/21/2017.

Having it all be a dream takes some of the fun away. That said, still looking forward to it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's an alternate reality!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I don't think I'm going to watch that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

howe_sam posted:

CW released a synopsis of the musical, and I'm a little bummed

Barry and team are surprised when Mon-El and Hank Henshaw arrive on their Earth carrying a comatose Supergirl who was whammied by the Music Meister . Unable to wake her up, they turn to Team Flash to save her. However, the Music Meister surprises The Flash and puts him in a similar coma, one that Team Flash can’t cure. Kara and Barry wake up without their powers in an alternate reality where life is like a musical and the only way to escape is by following the script, complete with singing and dancing, to the end. Dermott Downs directed the episode with story by Greg Berlanti & Andrew Kreisberg and teleplay by Aaron Helbing & Todd Helbing (#317). Original airdate 3/21/2017.

Having it all be a dream takes some of the fun away. That said, still looking forward to it.

So this version of the Music Meister has the power to give people musical dreams?

That sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
How does this alternate reality square with the Music Meister headline we saw?

• Locked thread