Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

My Amazon order for Wii U finally updated from 'possibly never' to 'Expected to Ship March 3rd, Arriving Tuesday'. I guess it's better than nothing, but what the gently caress Amazon. That's not release date delivery.

That's when you contact support and ask what the gently caress happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm sure they'll ship soon. My switch says shipping now and Zelda says shipping today.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

8-bit Miniboss posted:

That's when you contact support and ask what the gently caress happened.

I'm still at "I dunno, check back later." I should probably do that though really I'm not going to finish Skyward Sword by Friday at this rate so it doesn't really matter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

RCarr posted:

Please ship my Nintendo Switch and Zelda game Amazon. I'm tired of F5ing...

It says "will be arriving by Friday" for my order but it still hasn't shipped. I get the feeling that not all Amazon buyers are going to be getting it when they were promised.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

pentyne posted:

It says "will be arriving by Friday" for my order but it still hasn't shipped. I get the feeling that not all Amazon buyers are going to be getting it when they were promised.

Or people such as me live so close to distribution points that they won't ship until Thursday night and show up on Friday just fine.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
According to UPS tracking my Wii U will be delivered tomorrow so that gives me time to set it up before BOTW drops on Friday. As for the game itself, I'm just going to buy a digital code from Amazon.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/837031535152771072

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

The Legend of Zelda: Independence Day.

I'd play it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They have finally returned.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

This Golden Sun esque log puzzle has gotten me even more turgid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

They have finally returned.

Oh please no

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"What did you learn at GDC?"

"That white male cis abled characters don't have to be the default choice for main characters. What did you learn?"

"Ganondorf was gonna be a burnt out old dude wearing a metallica t-shirt in one concept of BOTW."

Edit: A snap of the slide for reference:

https://twitter.com/juanjimver/status/837036378802241536

I would give anything for this to make into the DLC, Link gets the Switch shirt and Ganon gets the Metallica shirt.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I'm certain Amazon and the Nintendo store are shipping all their Switches tomorrow for next-day delivery. Haven't found anyone who ordered from either who's had theirs shipped, but Nintendo told me it's still set for Friday.

In my experience Amazon (Canada) ships it few days ahead of time, but doesn't give you a shipping notice until the day before. When Amazon uses UPS I usually get an email from UPS a full day or two before Amazon sends one. That said I haven't gotten anything yet for BOTW :f5:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Asking this for when the second dlc pack dungeon turns out to be related to the INVASION:

Yo there was sci-fi poo poo throughout series like Ultima right?

Not to go too off topic I'm just wondering if any of that ever seriously broke nerd immersion back in the day when the games were new and if people actually got upset about that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:siren: Preorders for the Special Edition appear to be back on Walmart.com. I just ordered one a couple of hours ago, and they're still showing up as available as of right now.

Only problem is it won't be delivered until March 13th, but I don't have the console yet and will be out of town for awhile between Friday and then anyway, so it works for me.

Now let's just hope this isn't a glitch.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Asking this for when the second dlc pack dungeon turns out to be related to the INVASION:

Not to go too off topic I'm just wondering if any of that ever seriously broke nerd immersion back in the day when the games were new and if people actually got upset about that.
it's fairly new to the series afaik, other than the aliens in Majora's Mask the weird sci-fi stuff first started hitting in Skyward Sword with sword AIs and robots

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's been bits of machinery around in Zelda for a while now. Seems like hundreds of years prior there was some sort of industrialized civilization but they all got borked up and now it's back to faeries and medieval stuff.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Skyward Sword was actually Metroid 5

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

There's been bits of machinery around in Zelda for a while now. Seems like hundreds of years prior there was some sort of industrialized civilization but they all got borked up and now it's back to faeries and medieval stuff.
absolutely but I think Skyward Sword definitely shifted the balance from "ancient machinery" to "actual futuristic computers" and now BotW starts with Link being given a free iPad so hey

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

absolutely but I think Skyward Sword definitely shifted the balance from "ancient machinery" to "actual futuristic computers" and now BotW starts with Link being given a free iPad so hey

He clicked the link on the website and got the free ipad.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cojawfee posted:

He clicked the link on the website and got the free ipad.

:golfclap:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The ipad is always getting new drops of water put in it in this game

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh my god there's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrFqFQobdN8

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The first trilogy featured a lot of sci-fi. They have space travel, time travel and spoiler alert one of the bosses of the game is an evil computer.
The second trilogy purged these elements, but there were some callbacks in the third trilogy.

Illithid Activity
Sep 5, 2015

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

:siren: Preorders for the Special Edition appear to be back on Walmart.com. I just ordered one a couple of hours ago, and they're still showing up as available as of right now.

Only problem is it won't be delivered until March 13th, but I don't have the console yet and will be out of town for awhile between Friday and then anyway, so it works for me.

Now let's just hope this isn't a glitch.

I ordered one as well this morning. Originally the page for preordering said "this item no longer available," and then the page itself disappeared from existence. I searched later and the page was remade/relisted (which is when I ordered) so I'm hopeful that can't be an accident or glitch.

Also, my delivery date said March 9. But I'm doing in-store pickup so I don't know if that's the difference.

I may have missed this earlier in the discussion for trying to avoid spoilers, but are there any benefits to pre-ordering the Expansion Pass? Or are the perks the same regardless of when you order?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"The Legend of Zelda, Breath of the Wild: Every Pre-Order We Paid Up Till Now, It Was All For Nothing"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't think it matters when you buy the DLC, I think you always get all the stuff. I think they just mean that starting March 3rd, you will get access to the treasure chests.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Viewtiful Jew posted:

That was kind of common back in the day for 'fantasy' RPG franchises. Early Ultima was full of it, Might & Magic eventually went pretty hard on the sci-fi stuff, there's things like WARMECH in Final Fantasy. I think Wizardry had some sci-fi stuff here and there?

Honestly it's kind of surprising that Zelda took this long to really start dipping into it.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I didn't get my first rupee until 2-3 hours in...
I almost forgot this series had them. There's so many wtf and holy poo poo moments. There's guidance, but no hand holding. I haven't had this much fun since the 1st time I played Symphony of the Night.

This game,

is good...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Goddamn, give it more puzzle mechanics and enemies and that would make an amazing zelda-maker.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

I didn't get my first rupee until 2-3 hours in...
I almost forgot this series had them. There's so many wtf and holy poo poo moments. There's guidance, but no hand holding. I haven't had this much fun since the 1st time I played Symphony of the Night.

This game,

is good...

That reminds me during E3 they said you wouldn't find the usual stuff by cutting grass and what not and just had the realization that means the little sprites guys from the Minish Cap are probably dead. :smith:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dexie posted:

That was kind of common back in the day for 'fantasy' RPG franchises. Early Ultima was full of it, Might & Magic eventually went pretty hard on the sci-fi stuff, there's things like WARMECH in Final Fantasy. I think Wizardry had some sci-fi stuff here and there?

Honestly it's kind of surprising that Zelda took this long to really start dipping into it.

Pretty sure Wizardry 8 or 9 had you straight up dropping out of an alien spaceship and fighting against an alien space wizard., IIRC.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wizardry 6 went full Sci fi at the end and 7 and 8 continue from there with you visiting contested planets to stop Darth Vader amidst an intergalactic war, yeah. Fairly similar trajectory to m&m, but over the course of one storyline, whereas m&m did it every game

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 2, 2017

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Very interesting to see all the curiosity about reviews of this game and the critical reaction to it. I don't remember the last time there was so much energy around what *other* people or publications felt. My personal theory is that for all the great games the last few years, it's getting harder and harder for a given game to enter into the canon of all-time classics and to differentiate itself as worthy of that praise, and that this has a chance to do that has given it a certain type of buzz that other awesome games (GTA5, Witcher 3, whatever) didn't have.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

sigmachiev posted:

Very interesting to see all the curiosity about reviews of this game and the critical reaction to it. I don't remember the last time there was so much energy around what *other* people or publications felt.

I think there's a special circumstance here as well. Nintendo is basically relying on BotW to move hardware on a level I don't think they've asked of any other Zelda game, ever.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
is this not on the WiiU eshop yet or what

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

sigmachiev posted:

Very interesting to see all the curiosity about reviews of this game and the critical reaction to it. I don't remember the last time there was so much energy around what *other* people or publications felt. My personal theory is that for all the great games the last few years, it's getting harder and harder for a given game to enter into the canon of all-time classics and to differentiate itself as worthy of that praise, and that this has a chance to do that has given it a certain type of buzz that other awesome games (GTA5, Witcher 3, whatever) didn't have.

People have always cared, I remember the exact same "Famitsu gave it a 40/40!" hubbub when Windwaker was coming out. Before Giant Bomb, Jeff Gerstmann was infamous for giving Twilight Princess "only" an 88.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

I think there's a special circumstance here as well. Nintendo is basically relying on BotW to move hardware on a level I don't think they've asked of any other Zelda game, ever.

TP was their big Wii system seller.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Anyone know where I can buy a copy of the regular BotW? Everywhere I'm looking (Game, Argos, Amazon) are sold out of the regular copies and only have the Limited Edition in stock. I was hoping to grab the game so I could play it on release, but I straight up can't find anything other than Limited Edition and Download codes (gently caress that, same price as the physical game without the physical stuff that I prefer having).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, even though I had a gamecube that staggered release date made TP a major selling point for me as a kid. Nintendo Power had articles every month leading up to it for a while.