Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Flaggy posted:

200 tops? I know that isn't alot for a good chair. I just looked at Steelcase and holy hell thats alot of money for a chair.

You could consider the Autonomous Ergochair. It gets good reviews based on its price. It's basically a knock-off of much more expensive and much better chairs, but it delivers well for its price point. It's either that or get a Steelcase off craigslist. Anything under 200 is basically the same old garbage to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

signalnoise posted:

You could consider the Autonomous Ergochair. It gets good reviews based on its price. It's basically a knock-off of much more expensive and much better chairs, but it delivers well for its price point. It's either that or get a Steelcase off craigslist. Anything under 200 is basically the same old garbage to me.

Another option is the IKEA Markus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Flaggy posted:

200 tops? I know that isn't alot for a good chair. I just looked at Steelcase and holy hell thats alot of money for a chair.

Look for them at an office liquidator. You should be able to get a steelcase leap for ~300 in perfectly serviceable condition.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

When I got my first summer job in high school, the "dumb" extravagant purchase I made with my first paycheck was a $500 desk chair, and I have never regretted it.

Except maybe for the fact that, because sitting for 5+ hours is way more comfortable, I do so more frequently than I should.

What I'm saying is invest heavily in a good good chair.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Scholtz posted:

When I got my first summer job in high school, the "dumb" extravagant purchase I made with my first paycheck was a $500 desk chair, and I have never regretted it.

Except maybe for the fact that, because sitting for 5+ hours is way more comfortable, I do so more frequently than I should.

What I'm saying is invest heavily in a good good chair.

Hell yes, I work from home and if my chair broke today I would have no problem buying a 500-600 dollar chair to replace it, since I have experienced them.

A good extra cushion, too.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

That is a good point. Once you experience one your back/butt will be forever spoiled.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I desperately want to get a better computer chair, but first I need to get a proper desk as my current one is an old sewing machine table, which means I can't get my legs all the way underneath it due to the mechanism.

Sitting at it for more than an hour or two loving kills my back, which I guess sort of works out as this way I don't spend a lot of time farting around online.

In any case, anyone have a desk that they love? I'm looking for something with maybe 4 to 5 feet wide and 3 to 3 1/2 feet deep. I would like drawers on the left-hand side and preferably a pull out writing tray thing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

In any case, anyone have a desk that they love? I'm looking for something with maybe 4 to 5 feet wide and 3 to 3 1/2 feet deep. I would like drawers on the left-hand side and preferably a pull out writing tray thing.

That's insanely deep, man. You really need a 40 inch deep desk?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My desk is a piece of project board (stained with Minwax) from Home Depot with IKEA legs on it. Cost about $30 to make and works wonderfully.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

That's insanely deep, man. You really need a 40 inch deep desk?

That's what I have now, due to it being an old sewing machine table. I guess I could go shallower but right now it puts me nicely in line with a window so I can stare out into the woods, which I like.

I also find that having all that extra depth helps me keep my desk cleaner, there is a lot of room to move stuff around so I can dust and such without unhooking everything.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

It is warm this week. It is going to be warmer soon. Anyone got a good rec for undershirts?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

That's what I have now, due to it being an old sewing machine table. I guess I could go shallower but right now it puts me nicely in line with a window so I can stare out into the woods, which I like.

I also find that having all that extra depth helps me keep my desk cleaner, there is a lot of room to move stuff around so I can dust and such without unhooking everything.

Have you considered getting a monitor mount instead?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Nephzinho posted:

It is warm this week. It is going to be warmer soon. Anyone got a good rec for undershirts?

Uniqlo Airisms are great, I like the mesh ones for when it gets hot. Unfortunately they've been out of stock for the winter but I expect they'll be available soon.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

bongwizzard posted:

I desperately want to get a better computer chair, but first I need to get a proper desk as my current one is an old sewing machine table, which means I can't get my legs all the way underneath it due to the mechanism.

Sitting at it for more than an hour or two loving kills my back, which I guess sort of works out as this way I don't spend a lot of time farting around online.

IKEA kitchen counter top + drawers as legs + another single leg in the middle for stability.

I opted for the KARLBY which is only 98x25" since I wanted the extra horizontal space. They have another KARLBY kitchen island version which is 74x42".

This is my setup: for the most part

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

signalnoise posted:

I read this as a response to the undershirt post. :downs:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Nephzinho posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this advice, but... ditch the undershirt? It doesn't look good with unbuttoned dress shirts and it looks even worse under polos. You can remedy that with a deep enough V-neck but, looks aside, I always find them counterproductive in the summer months. I live in central TX and the thought of actually adding layers -- even one made of a technical fabric -- as the weather warms up... Yeesh.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just weird and don't sweat enough to need/appreciate undershirts.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Etrips posted:

IKEA kitchen counter top + drawers as legs + another single leg in the middle for stability.

I opted for the KARLBY which is only 98x25" since I wanted the extra horizontal space. They have another KARLBY kitchen island version which is 74x42".

This is my setup: for the most part

If you'd like the desktop that is designed for those drawers, it's a line called LINNMON and the drawer unit is the ALEX.

I have used this setup to various effect over the years...

... what do you mean, "Ikea problem"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Trabant posted:

I'm probably in the minority with this advice, but... ditch the undershirt? It doesn't look good with unbuttoned dress shirts and it looks even worse under polos. You can remedy that with a deep enough V-neck but, looks aside, I always find them counterproductive in the summer months. I live in central TX and the thought of actually adding layers -- even one made of a technical fabric -- as the weather warms up... Yeesh.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just weird and don't sweat enough to need/appreciate undershirts.

Letting that hair fly is the right answer. I'm right with you man

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Good set for learning lockpicking?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

M42 posted:

Good set for learning lockpicking?

SouthOrd ST-23 is what I used. Massdrop has it a bit cheaper pretty regularly. It's on my desk at work and about a half dozen of my co-workers can reliably do 3 pins, a few can do 4, and one or two can do 5. The pick set that comes with it is fine for starting out, you'll probably want to upgrade (or at least plastidip the handles) if you stick with it.

Lawen has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Mar 2, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Not sure I understand you. My issue is that I can't get my legs fully under my desk because of the mechanism for concealing the sewing machine gets in the way.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bongwizzard posted:

Not sure I understand you. My issue is that I can't get my legs fully under my desk because of the mechanism for concealing the sewing machine gets in the way.

No I mean if you're going to get a different desk, maybe instead of getting a 3 foot deep desk, get a desk that isn't 3 feet deep but get a monitor mount so your desk real estate isn't taken up.

You were talking about getting a different desk, right? Am I misremembering?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I need some new nonstick frying pans and saucepans. Nothing Michelin-rated, but I don't want department store crap, either.

Also, kitchen knives. Same deal as above--I'm not Anthony Bourdain, just a guy who wants something nicer than what's at the store.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

No I mean if you're going to get a different desk, maybe instead of getting a 3 foot deep desk, get a desk that isn't 3 feet deep but get a monitor mount so your desk real estate isn't taken up.

You were talking about getting a different desk, right? Am I misremembering?

Ah, I got you now.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I need some new nonstick frying pans and saucepans. Nothing Michelin-rated, but I don't want department store crap, either.

Also, kitchen knives. Same deal as above--I'm not Anthony Bourdain, just a guy who wants something nicer than what's at the store.

Your best bet is to hit a local restaurant supply store (not a fancy rich white people kitchen store, a place restaurants go to buy 30 fry pans).

If that's not an option, can't help with pans but for knives check out Victorinox; best value for low price, you'll find them in pretty much every restaurant kitchen.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Just buy a T-Fal. If you want a non-stick frying pan, expect to have to replace it. That's just the way it is. I see no reason to buy a nonstick saucepan though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I believe the Tojiro DP Gyutou is the current goon choice for an entry level knife. Or the Victorinox 8" Chef's.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

George H.W. oval office posted:

I believe the Tojiro DP Gyutou is the current goon choice for an entry level knife. Or the Victorinox 8" Chef's.

Tojiro DP is a fantastic introductory line. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojirodpseries.html

Get their bread knife by the way. It is so good it will cut clean slices of bread without making crumbs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

signalnoise posted:

Just buy a T-Fal. If you want a non-stick frying pan, expect to have to replace it. That's just the way it is. I see no reason to buy a nonstick saucepan though.

Just FYI, you can't use a T-Fal around birds. This is real.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Yes you can, and T-Fal is just one brand. Any pan that uses a Teflon coating will kill birds if you've allowed it to reach the burning point of Teflon, which ruins the pan and is like twice the boiling point of water. If you kill a bird with broken down Teflon gas, it's you that hosed up. Nonstick pans are not for high heat applications. If you must have a high heat option for nonstick, pretty much your only real option is cast iron.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

This is a pretty cool feature, it's high time that someone is standing up to the bird menace.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

signalnoise posted:

If you want a non-stick frying pan, expect to have to replace it.

Uh, not really, you just have to hand wash it, and be very careful if you use metal utensils.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Uh, not really, you just have to hand wash it, and be very careful if you use metal utensils.

Oh for gently caress's sake, can you point me to a thread where you have something worthwhile to say or do you do things like defend the durability of 15 dollar aluminum frying pans in every thread? I'd really like to change my opinion of you. Buying a high end non-stick pan is stupid. Assuming that the only reason you'd replace a non-stick pan is because you're a complete dumbass is also stupid. A piece of aluminum with teflon over it has more to its durability than the teflon, and should know that if you are going to stick your nose in with a "well ACCCCCCtually..." Hand-washing cookware and not using metal utensils on a teflon surface should not have to be even mentioned.

You could have just as easily said "why do you say that?" or "you could get non-teflon hard-anodized aluminum, what's your opinion on that" or "what's up my dude" and any of those would have added more to the conversation.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

signalnoise posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, can you point me to a thread where you have something worthwhile to say or do you do things like defend the durability of 15 dollar aluminum frying pans in every thread? I'd really like to change my opinion of you. Buying a high end non-stick pan is stupid. Assuming that the only reason you'd replace a non-stick pan is because you're a complete dumbass is also stupid. A piece of aluminum with teflon over it has more to its durability than the teflon, and should know that if you are going to stick your nose in with a "well ACCCCCCtually..." Hand-washing cookware and not using metal utensils on a teflon surface should not have to be even mentioned.

You could have just as easily said "why do you say that?" or "you could get non-teflon hard-anodized aluminum, what's your opinion on that" or "what's up my dude" and any of those would have added more to the conversation.

You're awfully defensive about Teflon coatings, you should chill out

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

You're awfully defensive about Teflon coatings, you should chill out

ACCCCCCtually you're just an incredibly lovely person still

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I was going to make a joke about them being Roy J. Plunkett Jr, but apparently Roy didn't have any kids.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
America's Test Kitchen says under normal wear and care, Teflon only really lasts 6 months to a year.

The only thing I truly need non-stick for is eggs, so I just buy a small 6 or 8" frying pan once a year simply for eggs. Anything else I just properly grease or season a cast iron or stainless steel pan for.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

signalnoise posted:

ACCCCCCtually you're just an incredibly lovely person still

He's right. I have a T-fal and I just use it to cook eggs, and between hand washing, low heat use, and no metal utensils it is like brand new after almost 2 years.

Also why are you so mad about this topic?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

He's right. I have a T-fal and I just use it to cook eggs, and between hand washing, low heat use, and no metal utensils it is like brand new after almost 2 years.

Also why are you so mad about this topic?

2 years is basically nothing in cookware, but also I don't think anyone actually gets mad at forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Teflon is for lazy people that can't maintain a properly seasoned cast iron.