Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, and I consider that to be a far more interesting origin story than the xenos merely being some kind of biological weapon. I'm fairly sure that the creature in the trailer is the protomorph as well, and that they're keeping the reveal of the classic xenomorph that David creates for the climax of the film. It's going to be fascinating to see how Walter plays in to this as well, if the leaked script is true with David being killed but Walter continuing his work and taking an egg on to the colony ship where thousands of colonists are in stasis.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is how it plays out because it closes the loop :haw: on the 'covenant' theme. I didn't really notice it the first time, but if you go through the latest trailer you see wedding rings--a lot, usually on a close up of a hand while one partner is dying. Obviously they come out and say its a ship full of couples right up front but then that also singles Walter out as not only synthetic but single...until they come across David. It actually being a commitment of their 'marriage' to bring the bring the classic Xenomorph into the world as you describe would be a fitting ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

If that spoiler ends up being the case, it makes you wonder where the Aliens in the first two movies came from, since their eggs were from a Derelict ship that had been sitting on LV-426 for seemingly millennia.

Your comment and my reaction gave me serious deja vu and sure enough I gave a similar response to a near-identical post from you a couple months ago, but watch the "derelict" (I guess that should be in quotes if it's not actually ancient) crash only like a year before the Nostromo finds it.

Edit: What I'm curious about now is how an engineer ends up piloting the ship the Nostromo finds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope it's David.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I'd like to think that the answer to both questions is that this isn't the first time these kinds of things have happened in the history of the universe. Like, this whole thing is new to humanity but the Engineers and their ancestors or whoever created them or whatever have been dealing with this poo poo since the beginning of time. It's xenos all the way down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think this movie is going to be too violent and sad for me to enjoy. Watching a bunch of innocent loving couples off to settle a new world killed by horrible monsters in graphic detail doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

On the other hand, I desperately want to see Danny McBride die.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Baronjutter posted:

I think this movie is going to be too violent and sad for me to enjoy. Watching a bunch of innocent loving couples off to settle a new world killed by horrible monsters in graphic detail doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Ah, one day, you'll be married and you'll fully embrace it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wuffles posted:

I'd like to think that the answer to both questions is that this isn't the first time these kinds of things have happened in the history of the universe. Like, this whole thing is new to humanity but the Engineers and their ancestors or whoever created them or whatever have been dealing with this poo poo since the beginning of time. It's xenos all the way down.

Yea, we know so little about what the black goo is capable of and what its origins are. The Engineers clearly work with biomechanical technology, and I don't think its a stretch to theorize that the goo's effects are not random. The traditional xenomorph may be an inevitable conclusion to the mutations caused by the black goo, with David just happening to be the first being from Earth to have discovered that fact.

Its also pretty likely that the black goo is something the Engineers discovered in a not too dissimilar way as the Prometheus did, not something they themselves created. Their experiments may be an attempt to understand it better, but there's nothing we've seen that proves that they invented it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

my mother, an otherwise lovely and overwhelmingly pleasant woman, loved the original alien so much that she went to see it six times in the cinema

also said "the surgery scene" in prometheus was the best bit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
ARGUABLY the best 3D cuttlefish alien laser c-section sequence in cinema.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Should've been obvious from the title but it's really funny that this is movie is explicitly about loving and making babies. Was NOT expecting that from Prometheus 2.

Makes sense to me. He's just working his way through the whole reproductive cycle in horror movies.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

Ah, one day, you'll be married and you'll fully embrace it!

And here I was excited about my wife liking the trailer...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

Have.... have you seen an Alien movie before? :raise: "Bad things happen to good people" is the modus operandi of over half of them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

In my day they used to keep the monsters secret in till the movie comes out, but they gotta show it in the trailer because they gotta confirm an alien is in the movie this time.

Why does Jurassic world logic have to be so true?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 1, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Real monster is old David. Also someone get that alien a coat

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Movie looks really good, sorry miscellaneous fucker idiots in this thread.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tenzarin posted:

In my day they used to keep the monsters secret in till the movie comes out, but they gotta show it in the trailer because they gotta confirm an alien is in the movie this time.

Why does Jurassic world logic have to be so true?

The first poster released confirmed that.

And also it's an Alien. Everyone knows what it is.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The only real complaint might be it looks too much like the original

*Liked Prometheus*

Also its been almost 40 years, people know what an alien looks like, not a lot left for the imagination.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

miscellaneous fucker idiots

i like this phrase.

Like Prometheus I plan to buy the most expensive movie ticket the high end theater near me offers for Alien Covenant.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They showed the dang Queen descending from the airship in the '84 Aliens trailer. Not much point in keeping a monster hidden when the movie only exists as a vehicle for it and your target audience is people nostalgic for said monster.

The Godzilla 2014 trailers tried to be coy about him at first, but ended up showing a lot before release and then lots of people complained there wasn't enough Godzilla in the actual movie anyway. Jaws-like pacing & withholding just isn't the blockbuster tone du jour for they money they're hoping to make I guess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Going into a movie blind is cool but the goon obsession with trailers ruining stuff that is already super obvious anyway is hilarious. Like, the movie has Alien in the title.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

Going into a movie blind is cool but the goon obsession with trailers ruining stuff that is already super obvious anyway is hilarious. Like, the movie has Alien in the title.

That's what's so funny. Like, what, it spoiled the Xenomorph? Pretty sure you knew, guys.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

[CineD]But but but the COMMON MAN will have the experience ruined for them I mean of course I wasn't actually spoiled!!!!!![/CineD]

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Hey guyz wut Alien???

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I hope this movie is better than Prometheus

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I hope this movie is better than Prometheus

two great alien movies by Ridley in the 2010s would be pretty dope

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MacheteZombie posted:

I agree

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

oswald ownenstein posted:

word on the street is that xenomorphs as we know them and basically everything in both movies were created by David

This makes no sense because then how is there a frozen queen on earth in the first Alien v Predator? This directly contradicts Alien v. Predator canon!!!

But seriously, I loving hate this plot development why can't they just be loving aliens. We don't need a loving origin story that they're biological weapons or whatever. This is some midichlorian poo poo

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What if Xenomorphs could use the Force?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

What if Xenomorphs could use the Force?

Isn't that Vader?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Jagermonster posted:

But seriously, I loving hate this plot development why can't they just be loving aliens. We don't need a loving origin story that they're biological weapons or whatever. This is some midichlorian poo poo

Agreed. It feels similar to Interstellar, the universe is incomprehensibly wondrous/terrifying, wait nope, it's just future humans/an android that did everything. No mysteries here, move along.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Woah woah woah ... there's an alien in ... Alien? Was this directed by Shyamalan or something jeez who saw that coming

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

IMB posted:

Woah woah woah ... there's an alien in ... Alien? Was this directed by Shyamalan or something jeez who saw that coming

Maybe we were the true aliens the whole time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The cgi alien looked really good in the trailer, I hope they didn't blow the load on the trailer.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

MacheteZombie posted:

When did Ridley confirm that he's doing another one?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I'm usually very good at remembering stuff like this and I'm kinda drawing a blank. I can name like a half dozen individual stories that have some elements of what you're describing (catacombs, PTSD, endless Aliens) but none that check every checkbox.
Hm, maybe minus the PTSD.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Monglo posted:

When did Ridley confirm that he's doing another one?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ridley-scott-alien-covenant-is-first-3-films-before-linking-up-original-alien-844051

quote:

Ridley Scott confirmed that he is planning another two Prometheus sequels to follow Alien: Covenant before the Prometheus storyline meets up with the original 1979 Alien.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ridley is doing a trilogy to show up James Cameron. He hates the navi and wishes he used them for the design of the alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

According to the trivia on IMDB, Covenant, like Blomkamp's now on hold/cancelled Alien "3," is an amalgamation of "real Alien 3" ideas Scott had after seeing Alien 3 and disliking it. Is there any truth to that? If it is true will CineD survive?