Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Teeter posted:

I caught this gem in an article about an Uber driver arguing with their CEO after giving him a ride.

Yes, let's take out a nearly 6-figure loan in order to become a chauffeur then blame the CEO when plans don't pan out!

Uhh, to drive for Uber Black you have to do what that dude did and buy a late model luxury car, that's the price of entry. I'd never do it because I wouldn't rely on those promises for my income.
And he's complaining to the CEO that he was swindled by the company, because they cut fares to where he can no longer make money. A fair complaint, and directed specifically at the guy who runs the organization responsible.

The CEO is essentially saying "you got hustled, take responsibility for your own life" :capitalism:

Nail Rat posted:

He's an idiot, but the Uber CEO is still a piece of poo poo and Uber is a terrible company taking advantage of poor people who are desperate.

Also, :lol: at "two female friends."

Reminder, this is the guy who called Uber "Boob-er" because he gets so much tail when people find out he's the Uber CEO :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I still don't understand how anyone could think it through all the way and conclude "yes, I will surely make sufficient profit over the 96000+interest driving for uber over the lifetime of this single luxury car". What did he think his probability of success was? His estimated yearly income after loan payments/expenses? That's insane.

As far as I can tell, nobody takes uber black on purpose, they just con people at the airport who see "uber" on the sign and assume a normal taxi rate, missing the word "black" in tiny letters meaning you're about to get hustled. Maybe they get businesses who want to appear fancy to their clients, but I find it a little hard to believe that calling a "nice" uber is going to look anywhere as good as calling a normal car service to have a car/limo waiting.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I used to take Black because I thought they were still making decent money. I have been disabused of that notion.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I used to take Black because I thought they were still making decent money. I have been disabused of that notion.
May as well take regular uber and hand the driver money directly, it's win-win that way.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I sell homebrewing supplies and I actively discourage people from getting into it because they think they'll save money. I recommend they get into it because it owns though.

I have to admit to making some amazing beer at university. We didn't save money because we drank more but we were drinking good beer at higher percentages. Better than the cheap lovely beer we'd be drinking for years.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

You can make decent money and still not be able to afford a $100K car. You can make really good money and not be able to afford a $100K car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

May as well take regular uber and hand the driver money directly, it's win-win that way.

Yeah, but I rarely carry cash.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I still don't understand how anyone could think it through all the way and conclude "yes, I will surely make sufficient profit over the 96000+interest driving for uber over the lifetime of this single luxury car". What did he think his probability of success was? His estimated yearly income after loan payments/expenses? That's insane.

Because they spend a lot of money on marketing trying to convince people that they WILL make money. You and I wouldn't fall for it, but somewhere they will find someone who will, especially when the rates they were paid initially were 9 times what they are now.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Maybe there are tax benefits for the depreciation on your vehicle. But that also assumes you're making enough to deduct beyond your standard deduction. Maybe you need to incorporate to get the full benefit.

I would say you're better off driving for a real taxi company, but I don't think those are doing that well.

Nail Rat posted:

Because they spend a lot of money on marketing trying to convince people that they WILL make money. You and I wouldn't fall for it, but somewhere they will find someone who will, especially when the rates they were paid initially were 9 times what they are now.

You absolutely do make money. Just not enough to cover long term expenses.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People should still look before they leap. Can't put all the responsibility on the CEO for that situation. At the end of the day there was still a guy that looked at ~$100k loan paperwork on a car and said, "This is worth the risk" to himself as he signed.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Right, especially when there's this other form in which you get a loan for a $10000 2008 honda or whatever instead and make less money per mile. Something tells me "driving for uber" is simply the bare rationalization that guy used to buy a $96,000 car that he wanted anyway.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I can't be assed to care about the driver's 90 grand personal loan when the passenger is burning a cool 2 billion VC a year to expand their terrible company.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Soon you'll be able to write off car depreciation because people will be treating their cars like houses

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, by sleeping in them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GWA(lcohol): cheap gin. $15 for a handle of something that doesn't taste like pine scented furniture polish or gasoline, $0.38 per standard drink.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

22 Eargesplitten posted:

GWA(lcohol): cheap gin. $15 for a handle of something that doesn't taste like pine scented furniture polish or gasoline, $0.38 per standard drink.

Cheap drinkable vodka can be had for :10bux: a handle though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's why I said something that doesn't taste like gasoline. Gilbey's is $15, you can get other stuff I've never tried for $12.

I think prices might be a bit higher around here since liquor stores have to be small independent businesses.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

As far as I can tell, nobody takes uber black on purpose, they just con people at the airport who see "uber" on the sign and assume a normal taxi rate, missing the word "black" in tiny letters meaning you're about to get hustled. Maybe they get businesses who want to appear fancy to their clients, but I find it a little hard to believe that calling a "nice" uber is going to look anywhere as good as calling a normal car service to have a car/limo waiting.

Tons of people with expense accounts or after hours commute allowances take Uber Black

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Maybe there are tax benefits for the depreciation on your vehicle. But that also assumes you're making enough to deduct beyond your standard deduction. Maybe you need to incorporate to get the full benefit.

I would say you're better off driving for a real taxi company, but I don't think those are doing that well.

You absolutely do make money. Just not enough to cover long term expenses.

The depreciation and expenses on a livery vehicle are deductible against your gross business income in the United States; it has absolutely nothing to do with your personal standard deduction

The only thing worse than driving for Uber is driving for a taxi company

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Only one thing can save us from Uber-chat: weddings!

We all know how to be GWM at your own wedding, but what about someone else's?

Barudak posted:

Friends wedding had very little food for the tapas style infinite appetizers so the friend ripped into the catering company. Turned out distant family she had not wanted to invite but was pressured into ran a rotation where they stood by the kitchen door, took all the food, slid it into plastic bags, then took those full bags in their oversized purses before one by one going to the car to dump them into a waiting cooler. All told probably 20-30 odd pounds of food was taken this way. When confronted they stated it was a wedding and if she wanted everyone to eat it was her fault for not getting more food.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Not everything in this article is BWM, but there are a few that kind of kill me. Here's one:

A Very Wealthy Person posted:

Another tech worker feeling excluded from the real estate market was 41-year-old Michael, who works at a networking firm in Silicon Valley and last year earned $700,000. Sick of his 22-mile commute to work, which can sometimes take up to two and half hours, he explored buying a property nearer work.

“We went to an open house in Los Gatos that would shorten my commute by eight miles. It was 1,700 sq ft and listed at $1.4m. It sold in 24 hours for $1.7m,” he said.

Although he said his salary means he can afford to live a decent life, he finds the cost of living, combined with the terrible commute, unpalatable. He’s had enough, and has accepted a 50% pay cut to relocate to San Diego.

“We will be unequivocally better off than we are now.” He said he won’t miss some of the more mundane day-to-day costs, like spending $8 on a bagel and coffee or $12 on freshly pressed juice.

He has some reasonable complaints and the Bay Area is insane, but uh :psyduck:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
That guy doesn't sound bwm, he sounds smart and can have a better life even while making less (and still making a ton of money).

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mike- posted:

That guy doesn't sound bwm, he sounds smart and can have a better life even while making less (and still making a ton of money).

what about it is a better life when your complaints are about bagel prices and housing costs, both of which are are solved and then some by being paid twice as much? buy the 1.4MM house, buy the $8 bagel and stop thinking about it, and you still have more money at the end of it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

paragon1 posted:

Between this and what I hear about tech startups I'm starting to think banks are just lending to anything with a pulse and SSN

Pretty much. I'm disabled and make about $10k (CDN) a year. Every few months my bank was sending me a pre-approved VISA application, but I thought you couldn't get approved for a CC unless you made at least $13k a year. So eventually I went ahead and filled out the application and the online form was all, "woah, you don't make 13k, are you sure you filled this out right?" So I figured it would be denied and they'd stop bugging me. Then a couple weeks later they told me I was approved with a $2,000 limit. :what:

Fine. Whatever. Now I can buy things online without a hassle and apparently I'm earning some kind of points. Then 8 months later they call me offering to double my credit limit because I'm such a responsible customer making large payments on time every month. Really leaning on how I "earned" this. LOL, no thanks. I"m BWM but not that BWM. I can manage the credit I have, but if I let them keep upping my limit eventually I'd get myself into trouble.

So, yeah, they are willing to lend to basically anyone. And then if you don't immediately start missing payments they are happy to keep upping your limit to ludicrous levels for your income.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's why I said something that doesn't taste like gasoline. Gilbey's is $15, you can get other stuff I've never tried for $12.

I think prices might be a bit higher around here since liquor stores have to be small independent businesses.

Costco is your liquor friend. And I don't think you even need a membership to buy the hard stuff.

Although not all locations sell liquor.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Blinky2099 posted:

what about it is a better life when your complaints are about bagel prices and housing costs, both of which are are solved and then some by being paid twice as much? buy the 1.4MM house, buy the $8 bagel and stop thinking about it, and you still have more money at the end of it

the bwm is coming from inside the thread!!

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zo posted:

the bwm is coming from inside the thread!!
He makes seven hundred thousand dollars a year. If you have to choose between buying (or renting) a $1.4MM house and taking a three-hundred and fifty-thousand dollar pay cut to move, "don't buy a house ever" is not GWM advice

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Blinky2099 posted:

I don't get complaining about an $8 bagel. I just paid $15 for my lunch and $15k on a preferential share offer. Lunch is a drop in the bucket. Although if $8 bagels are a problem there's always toilet wine, so long as your horse doesn't drink it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

mike- posted:

Yeah, you're right: he'd still be making a ton of money that could afford him a very comfortable life in San Diego. But $350k/year is enough to live comfortably in the Bay Area, too. And I think it goes deeper than his salary.

I mean, sure, he'd still be making bank. But he'd be making considerably less in a region that isn't dramatically cheaper than the Bay Area and it sounds like he still wants to live the same lifestyle but maybe hopefully pay a little less for it. However, if he can't comfortably live in the Bay Area on $700k/year and not have to worry about the cost of an occasional bagel/juice, then I'm guessing that taking a 50% pay cut to move to a slightly less expensive part of the state might not work out very well for him. His lifestyle must be pretty intense.

And this obviously isn't perfectly accurate, but:

Hopefully the move does work out for him, though!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
The dev seems weird to have taken a $350,000 salary cut, but may he will just be genuinely happier in San Diego. The weather is better even if SF isn't bad.

It came from Facebook:

BUY FROM MLMs BE A GOOD FRIEND CONSUME SUBPAR GOODS

Plus your friend owning a bakery != your friend selling Mary Kay.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It is a particular treat when an obvious fancy uber black car rolls up for your normal uber ride. Life hacked!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I sold Cutco knives to all my mom's friends as a teenager and that's all the MLM exposure I ever want to have

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

At a previous employer I did a little bit of software consulting work for a well-known cosmetics MLM company. Everything about the company, the business, the people, and the work was awful. I hated it so much.

Not only is their software and security absolutely, laughably terrible but I regularly got a peek into their database (because lol what's anonymized/generated test data). There's perhaps a few hundred people out of tens of thousands making any significant amount of money out of the whole scheme. Of those few hundred, a very small handful of people making six-seven figures while the others were typically in the five figure range. All the rest of the thousands of "consultants" are regularly losing money, sometimes enormous amounts of it.

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir in this thread, but MLM is way up on the top of the list of BWM things. Unless you're at the top of the pyramid, obviously.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

paragon1 posted:

Between this and what I hear about tech startups I'm starting to think banks are just lending to anything with a pulse and SSN

Pretty much. 6 months ago, just for kicks, I applied for the AmEx Gold Card. I'm a full-time college student making about $14k a year on paper, and they approved me.

I tried to cancel it last month and they gave me a $75 statement credit. :shrug: It's a charge card with a decent points system, and I'd keep it, if it wasn't for the $200 annual fee.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Guinness posted:

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir in this thread, but MLM is way up on the top of the list of BWM things. Unless you're at the top of the pyramid, obviously.

If you want to be even more horrified read the saga of billionaire hedge fund dude being unable to force regulators into declaring Herbalife a pyramid scheme despite spending millions on the campaign.

A pyramid scheme so old there are regular jokes about it in episodes of MST3K from 1992.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love politely declining invitations to "parties" where they sell this crap, too. The new thing is where they invite you to host it! No shame. You turn them down and they have the gall to ask why. By that point I usually tell them why, usually along the lines of "I'm not paying to drop ship merchandise for a corporation."

I figure if people are going to leverage their social connections for business purposes, I'm going to treat it like business.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I just slowly but gradually cut people like that out of my life

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
in a rare GWM / BWM combo, the secretary who runs our employee appreciation committee decided that for our fundraiser for last quarter we were going to sell scentsy to the employees. She is a scentsy distributor and sold them to the party planning committee and then resold them to the employees.

Through a combination of social pressure to fund the employee appreciation event and lots of BWM middle-aged ladies working there, the employee appreciation committee actually made a couple hundred dollars profit from this.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KingSlime posted:

I just slowly but gradually cut people like that out of my life

It's pretty much only second- and third-tier Facebook acquaintances who do this anymore. I treat the others like they're just business contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

in a rare GWM / BWM combo, the secretary who runs our employee appreciation committee decided that for our fundraiser for last quarter we were going to sell scentsy to the employees. She is a scentsy distributor and sold them to the party planning committee and then resold them to the employees.

Through a combination of social pressure to fund the employee appreciation event and lots of BWM middle-aged ladies working there, the employee appreciation committee actually made a couple hundred dollars profit from this.

Wow. Does your company not have a rule against hawking poo poo to other employees at work?

• Locked thread