Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Manitoba has a huge surplus of power and Ontarians pay out the rear end for it, why have our provinces not worked something out?

Aside from the huge amount of power loss over lines that long, anyway.

That is a good question. Ontario actually has a huge surplus of power. We signed a lot of contracts guaranteeing wind turbines 10 cents a kwh for all the power they could deliver. When we don't need it which is pretty much all the time, we sell excess to the US for 1.5 cents a kwh. The 8.5 cents gets added onto our global adjustment which is part of why our power is so high, it adds up to hundreds of millions a month. There's all kind of other deals like that also in the global adjustment, I'm not singling out turbines but the jist is that our power is expensive partially because of our excess. Here's an article on it, https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2014/01/20/ontario_paid_1_billion_to_dump_excess_electricity_in_2013_ndp.html

Skippy Granola posted:

Look pal I appreciate the attempt. I also appreciate the liability issue if someone slips trying to lift their leg into a sink.

However, this isn't a matter of compromise. This is folks immediately reacting with disgust to a different cultural practise.

That mindset is hosed up and tragically common in "multicultural" canada.

So what? Some practices are objectively disgusting, why is it special if it's cultural? I can think truck nuts are gross despite it being an Alberta cultural practice. Chinese people shouldn't poo poo everywhere even if it's practiced where they come from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Yes, making GBS threads in the street is exactly the same thing. Cogent point.

vyelkin posted:

I think it might say something about this thread that our collective response to a story about domestic terrorism was to have a long debate about how appropriate washing your feet in the sink is.

I think we all agree that threatening Muslims is bad. However there seems to be contention on some of the finer points of multiculturalism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

all sorts of crud from the cuff of your leg all over the counter top.

What the gently caress is wrong with your legs and/or pants that they regularly have crud on them?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

They would hit the finance towers you dolts no one cares about the cn tower

Doesn't seem like a great target. There wouldn't be that many people in it at any given time, it's a narrow target so you might just shear a wing off instead of landing a direct hit, and to get it to fall on other stuff you'd have to hit it low and from the right direction because a significant portion needs to topple over to do any damage considering the tower is somewhat isolated from other big buildings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

EvilJoven posted:

No, sorry, in the west public sinks are for washing hands.

Washing your feet in the sink is gross. It means you have to hike your leg up and rest it on the rim of the bowl and get all sorts of crud from the cuff of your leg all over the counter top. It's something that's just not done here. In Japan you shower before you bathe, in India and most of Africa and the Middle East you only eat with your right hand and in western countries you keep your loving feet out of god damned sink.

And this is different from when youre wiping your rear end and some poo poo gets on the side of your finger and then you go use the taps.

Bullshit

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vintersorg posted:

And this is different from when youre wiping your rear end and some poo poo gets on the side of your finger and then you go use the taps.

Bullshit

Human poo poo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Washing your feet in the sink, whatever.

But I once saw a dude giving himself an upper half sponge bath in an office bathroom and that's too far. Like seriously dude put your shirt on I know you're one of the lawyers from the next floor up you can afford a home with a real shower.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Pretty good ad imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqjjiUaAy1w

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Also on that note, prediction markets for the BC election are open as of today for any degenerates who want their gamble on this election season or just want to keep an eye on something likely more accurate than polls.

https://predictionmarkets.ca/home.php

edit: actually after looking at some historical data, I take back the likely more accurate bit. I think that can be true of larger markets with higher participation rates, but the UBC one might be too small fry. Called both last provincial and federal elections incorrectly and moved pretty close in line with polling.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 1, 2017

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Washing your feet in a sink in the bathroom is gross from the perspective of anyone involved. Not artisanal bomb gross though. The University should have a multi faith room available with a place to wash feet though.

You say that as if campus conservatives wouldn't have a fit about that

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

does hootsuite news (and if this doesn't count as news, what does) go here or in the real estate thread

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

vyelkin posted:

I think it might say something about this thread that our collective response to a story about domestic terrorism was to have a long debate about how appropriate washing your feet in the sink is.

You can't seriously expect people who spend all day every day posting in this thread to ever discuss a topic that requires any kind of research, thoughtfulness or nuance. They simply don't have the time.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

You can't seriously expect people who spend all day every day posting in this thread to ever discuss a topic that requires any kind of research, thoughtfulness or nuance. They simply don't have the time.

I'd like to hear your thoughtful, nuanced take on a racially motivated bomb threat that specifically focuses on sweaty feet and handcrafted artisanal explosives.

What is the other side of that story? How should the perpetrators be punished if caught? Do you think the threat is credible or is it extremely ham fisted satire? What are the layers to this matter?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A lot of my colleagues are pretty shaken up about this. My friend had her 1 year old with her in the EV building when the evacuation began. :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
if caught, send them to gitmo imho

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Skippy Granola posted:

I'd like to hear your thoughtful, nuanced take on a racially motivated bomb threat that specifically focuses on sweaty feet and handcrafted artisanal explosives.

What is the other side of that story? How should the perpetrators be punished if caught? Do you think the threat is credible or is it extremely ham fisted satire? What are the layers to this matter?

The purpose of the threat is presumably to take away the feeling of safety and security that most people on a campus take for granted, and to heighten awareness among both Muslims and non-Muslims that they are different from one another, thus fomenting other divisions. I'm sure that they've succeeded in that goal to some degree so in that sense the threat is credible whether or not any bomb ever existed.

We could look at other incidents of terrorism or terrorist threats in Canada and abroad, or what's happening at Carlton specifically, or how this relates to the right-wing mobilization of anti-Muslim sentiment, etc. But instead we're gonna get a lot of people just posting variations on "this is a bad thing", which is hard to argue with but hardly needs to be stated again and again and again so that for every interesting post containing some new information you have to wade through two dozen hot takes because people essentially use this thread to just blow off steam regarding whatever topic has them peeved at the moment.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

No, sorry, in the west public sinks are for washing hands.
Policing arbitrarily selected "western" values and habits. This is effective left activism. Totally unlike right wing trolling because

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

if caught, send them to gitmo imho

At least they'd be able to wash feet comfortably

quote:

Brown & Root’s standard-issue Gitmo cell is a faded green metal box a little larger than a king-size mattress: 54 square feet. Next to the narrow wall-mounted bed is an Asian-style toilet, a hole in the floor, facing the open grille of the door. The guards, some of them women, are supposed to pass by the cell every 30 seconds. Next to the toilet is a small sink and a faucet, so low that the only way to use it is to kneel. It produces tepid water from a desalination plant. Like all the water at Gitmo, it’s a pale shade of yellow. (The Pentagon says the low faucets are designed to “accommodate foot-washing for Muslim prayer needs.”)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look at fuckin walking talking foreign policy magazine over here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm trying to imagine how stupid you would have to be to write that. I mean beyond the hubris of publishing a racially motivated terrorist manifesto online nowadays, the use of language is grade school level at best. If this is from a student at Concordia, it doesn't bode well for their admissions criteria.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2017

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Helsing posted:

The purpose of the threat is presumably to take away the feeling of safety and security that most people on a campus take for granted, and to heighten awareness among both Muslims and non-Muslims that they are different from one another, thus fomenting other divisions. I'm sure that they've succeeded in that goal to some degree so in that sense the threat is credible whether or not any bomb ever existed.

We could look at other incidents of terrorism or terrorist threats in Canada and abroad, or what's happening at Carlton specifically, or how this relates to the right-wing mobilization of anti-Muslim sentiment, etc. But instead we're gonna get a lot of people just posting variations on "this is a bad thing", which is hard to argue with but hardly needs to be stated again and again and again so that for every interesting post containing some new information you have to wade through two dozen hot takes because people essentially use this thread to just blow off steam regarding whatever topic has them peeved at the moment.

Seriously man, every time you post I want to argue with you but I can't. That was a good explanation and I'm grateful.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Look at fuckin walking talking foreign policy magazine over here

This is the cruelest burn.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

If this is from a student at Concordia, it doesn't bode well for their admissions criteria.

No joke: I was in a 3rd year International Relations poli sci class, and a kid put up his hand and asked where he could buy a 'political science dictionary' because he didn't understand the words the teacher was using.

The word he wanted to look up? 'Coercion'

English was his first language.

lol 'admissions criteria'

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just lol if you have to settle for Concordia :smug:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This site is “taking the edge off rant mode” by making readers pass a quiz before commenting

NRKbeta posted:

Two weeks ago, NRKbeta, the tech vertical of the Norwegian public broadcaster NRK, published an explainer about a proposed new digital surveillance law in the country.

Digital security is a controversial topic, and the conversation around security issues can become heated. But the conversation in the comments of the article was respectful and productive: Commenters shared links to books and other research, asked clarifying questions, and offered constructive feedback.

The team at NRKbeta attributes the civil tenor of its comments to a feature it introduced last month. On some stories, potential commenters are now required to answer three basic multiple-choice questions about the article before they’re allowed to post a comment. (For instance, in the digital surveillance story: “What does DGF stand for?”)

I bolded and selectively quoted certain lines so you don't have to read the whole article.

Did Lobok bold and selectively quote certain lines in the article he posted?

[_] Yes
[_] No

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's a gently caress sight more clever than trying to keep things civil by making people use their real names. I'm looking at you, CBC, you morons.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

We don't want to hurt Muslims we are targeting Moslems! completely different libtrads! - a white supremacist as they are being arrested

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Implementing that sort of system would require the people running the site to actually read the article or what ever regurgitated wire story they're throwing up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lobok posted:

This site is “taking the edge off rant mode” by making readers pass a quiz before commenting

I bolded and selectively quoted certain lines so you don't have to read the whole article.

Did Lobok bold and selectively quote certain lines in the article he posted?

[_] Yes
[_] No

Thanks Lobok, you really improved my reading experience.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Baronjutter posted:

Implementing that sort of system would require the people running the site to actually read the article or what ever regurgitated wire story they're throwing up.

Sounds like a good idea from all angles

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Until of course somebody puts out a chrome extension that fills the quiz for you

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Patrick Spens posted:

Interesting reflection from a black professor who moved from Halifax to Pennsylvania on the differences between Canadian and American racism.

http://puritan-magazine.com/invidious-comparisons-thoughts-home/

Canada is a nation where the "white moderate" Martin Luther King warned against is seen as an ideal citizen.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/Abbynews/status/837071374644436994

guys, we need to open a dialogue with the working class white trash because

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/fabulavancouver/status/837080019734310913

:lol:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Good. The logo controversy is dumb as poo poo and unimportant as gently caress.

namaste faggots posted:

The Ironworkers donated $190 in January to the BC Liberals.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 2, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/survey-says-quebecers-want-to-close-the-border-1.3306022#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=MCElEwV

quote:

Survey says Quebecers want to close the border

A poll shows most Quebecers don't want to take in any more immigrants.
The SOM poll conducted on behalf of Cogeco News in the wake of anti-immigration measures attempted by U.S. president Donald Trump shows that 55 percent of Quebecers think Canada should stop accepting immigrants.
36 percent of Quebecers believe Canad should continue to accept immigrants, while nine percent are undecided.

The majority viewpoint is even stronger when it comes to illegal migrants: 75 percent of those polled believe border patrols should increase in order to stop illegal migrants from entering the country.
The poll also asked people about Montreal's new status as a sanctuary city. (That means anyone can receive municipal services without being asked if they are a citizen, and Montreal police should not advise Canada Border Services of the location of any illegal residents.)
A plurality, 41 percent, opposed the measure, while 36 percent approved the status.
23 percent were undecided.
Overall, the younger and more educated a person was, the more they supported sanctuary city status.
The poll surveyed 1010 people from Feb. 24 to 27. It has a margin of error of 3.4 percent, 19 times out of 20.

oh quebec

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
what do those quebecers think of the investor immigrant program tho

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the federal governments admitted plan is to break our secessionist movement by flooding us with immigrants..... that and devaluate wages. Most of us probably oppose immigration for racist reasons tho im not gonna lie

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
cool story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

namaste faggots posted:

Unions are getting to be as useful to the NDP as "Reagan republicans" were to Hillary