Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
who cares

people should spend their money on whatever makes them happy

why are you worried about peoples' money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
People who "live to travel" are probably just as annoying as anyone else who defines their entire self by 1 activity or hobby. There is a difference between that and blanket stating that any desire to travel is "childish" though.

Those are basically the extremes on either end of that "do you like traveling" spectrum. Combine with the fact that homie doesn't even want to go on a hike or really do anything other than watch TV until death...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm not worried, i'm just pointing out that people often turn a travel hobby into a way of validating themselves as worldly, cultured people to others. it's the same as buying a nice handbag or luxury car to persuade people that you're valuable because you are rich

there was a dude i knew who traveled seemingly for the only purpose of telling people constantly, unceasingly, about the place he had just gotten back from, and the place he was going to next. travel was definitely his hobby

if you identify with that dude and my posts make you irritated then that's on you, brother

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I [35M] am in a 2 year relationship with my GF [25F]. We've broken each other's trust and need some advice on how to rebuild it.

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for a little over two years. We love each other very much but our situation has been complicated to say the least. We've done some things neither one of us are proud of. Let me start by saying where I messed up.
My mess up. I cheated on her twice. Once with a random girl and with my ex. This sounds terrible, I know. However, she told me I could sleep with other women. She even knew I stayed the night at the random girls house. The only thing she asked me to do was tell her and my dumb rear end didn't. I have a kid with my ex so this situation is even worse. So I messed up and she doesn't trust me anymore. Everyone on reddit knows this is wrong and I do to, so let's not beat a dead horse on this one because I'm paying the price on this mess up to this day. However, it's just not as simple as I cheated is all I'm saying. I did break her trust, so that's the screw up bottom line. I get it.
Her mess up. She's lied to me repeatedly at the beginning of our relationship. Small lies and some big ones. The first big one was when she went out with her friends one night and we were talking on the phone. She suddenly hung up on me and didn't pick up any of my calls all night. She said she was going home prior to hanging up on me. She didn't call me back til the afternoon the next day. Months later she admitted to hanging out with some guys and her friends but she said nothing happened. I believed her and moved on. Not too long later she was out with her friends at a hotel bar. They drank a lot and ended up getting a room. I asked are there guys there, and she said yes. I wasn't comfortable with this and asked her to go home. We argued for a bit and she finally agreed, but she didn't. She didn't pick up my calls for an hour and this went on for a few hours. I finally came to get her at 5 am only to realize that she lied about which hotel she was at. A few months later she went out with her friends and said she was going home but didn't. She went out til 6 am with her friends and some guys to a karaoke. She calls me at 6 am and passes out on her floor. I drive to her apartment, and she is passed out on the floor. She gets a text message from the guy she was talking to and I find out everything from him basically. She maintains nothing happened and she was just drinking in all three cases. I'm sure everyone on here is thinking some pretty bad things, and I am too as I am typing this. However, the first two cases were not as simple as that because we were together but not together. I didn't know where things were headed with my ex so I couldn't completely commit. I was honest about this so I expected her to be honest with her where abouts and who she was with. I wasn't with my ex but I didn't know if we would get back together or not. The last incident however we were together. I committed to her by then, so this lie hurt me really bad. There was one more incident of her calling her ex and not picking up her phone til 2 am. She lied about not calling him. Her mess ups happened before mine just as a FYI if it matters.
So there you have it. We both messed up. Fast forward a year and a half from her last mess up and almost a year from mine. We are struggling at some points to say the least, but we are trying. I am not here to ask reddit to judge us on our mistakes. We've chosen to forgive and try to rebuild trust. How to rebuild trust is our argument today, specifically the find my friends app on the iphone.
So we started by trying to always answer each others calls, especially at night. We both have been very good at that and responding to text messages. We've also given the other person complete access to our phone records. We started using snap chat to help as well. Although she gets mad when I ask sometimes because she responds with why you don't think I'm home. So to combat that she offered to use the find my friends app on our iphones. I didn't say yes right away but asked her to use it a few days later. This happened a few months ago. We've gotten into some fights where she turns it off and breaks up with me. However, this last big fight she turned it off and refuses to turn it back on. She says it's creepy and possessive. I say it's helping me rebuild trust.
My philosophy on this is that once trust is broken it has to be earned back. Earning it back comes with a loss of privacy. I'm willing to do whatever she needs to get her trust back. I mean anything. I even offered to sync my text messages to her computer and I don't have any problem with her tracking me.
She says it's been a year and a half and she's proven enough. I don't know what's right here, but I still have some lingering bad thoughts every now and then. So it helps to know where she's at without having to call. So what do you guys think? Should we keep the find my friends app on or off? I mean if she wants off then there's nothing I can do about it, but she posted a thread earlier talking about this with no context and it made me look like a psycho.
Tl;dr My girlfriend and I broke each other's trust and want to know how to best fix it. We started using the find my friends app, but now she thinks it's creepy and possessive. However, given what we have been through it is helpful to me.

And a deleted update that's title says it all
I [35M] am in a 2 year relationship with my GF [25F]. We've broken each other's trust and need some advice on how to rebuild it. (Part II)My SO other posted a thread without context and now everyone is bashing me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just break up wtf

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
My dog has me in a chokehold
Backup needed to punch and suplex my dog

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I hate travel and I don't get people who enjoy it. Come at me

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Cool, find a person who agrees with you for your long term partner. Also consider their feelings on children, housing, and social activities. Then ignore all of them, try to twist them into who you wish them to be while they do the same to you while both of you slowly become desparately unhappy and then never ever break up.

Then have a kid anyway.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

Cool, find a person who agrees with you for your long term partner. Also consider their feelings on children, housing, and social activities. Then ignore all of them, try to twist them into who you wish them to be while they do the same to you while both of you slowly become desparately unhappy and then never ever break up.

Then have a kid anyway.

You forgot trying to open up the marriage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love travel and snorkeling and hiking my and eating weird food and all that poo poo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

You're wrong of course (:)), but the OK Cupid stats also are far from an unambiguous endorsement of independent foreign travel as the key to a successful marriage- matching your partner's status is the important correlation. It's a straightforward question that doesn't have a bunch of social pressure around an "ideal" answer, so it works as an accurate proxy for revealed preferences relating to attributes that most people want to share with a partner (even if they'd never admit it- who doesn't want to self-describe as "adventurous" or would openly say they're more likely to pursue marriage with someone from a similar class background?).

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Travel is mostly fun for me because of the people I travel with. Like, okay, a cool museum in a new city, that's great, but, at the end of the day, the human connection with the people I'm with is the part that's lasting and valuable. I travel regularly because people I care about do, and, say, Prague is a beautiful city that I liked hanging out in, but I think I'd get 95+% of the value by just staying in NYC and hanging out with those same people here. I'm always a little suspicious of the "I live to travel" folks, simply because I do interesting things regularly where I live and I think if you're not regularly doing that, you have a serious problem that you should address rather than finding your only solace during rare times you travel.

Frankly, the time I went to visit old friends in ohio and sat and his house smoking weed and reminiscing was a lot more fun than watching the sunset over Mayan temples in Guatemala on a school trip with people I was mostly ambivalent toward.
This is me for sure, I mean don't get me wrong it's kinda cool to see important sights and go 'man can you believe humans did that' but for me so if my best "trips" have just been "hey guys lets drive a couple hours and go eat bad chinese food in a town we've never been", it's the trip itself that's fun not really where you go. And this circles back around to why I'd much rather drive for 6 hours than take a 2 hr flight, airports and planes suck balls and it's hard to enjoy the experience when you have to deal with all the poo poo rather than just driving on empty highways.

also all the stuff boner said but I'd rather focus on the positives than my general misanthropy

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I like to travel but I don't like using up fossil fuels for tourism because of climate tipping points. When ocean acidification destroys half the marine food web I hope your trip to the Root Beer capital of the world will be worth it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Louvre: stupid
Video games: worth large proportions of my life and income

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I travel everyday when I watch Travel Channel!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
Genuine human experiences: stupid
taking a selfie at machu picchu: worth large proportions of my life and income

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I never thought I'd find people who hate....going places, but here we are I guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Psycho Society posted:

I like to travel but I don't like using up fossil fuels for tourism because of climate tipping points. When ocean acidification destroys half the marine food web I hope your trip to the Root Beer capital of the world will be worth it

Look, going to the Dr. Pepper Museum taught me that a ton of advertising went into trying to get people to drink Dr. Pepper hot, which was a major revelation as to the horrifying nature of this world and the blessing that is the imminent collapse of our society

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

boner confessor posted:

yeah, if you're ok with pinching pennies and living like a monk so you can go to paris twice a year and talk about how transcendent it is to people watch in montmartre you're just showing off

same as east coast people who hit all the west coast music festivals and burns, you're trading dollars for the left leaning equivalent of a rolex

Agreed, people who try to show things off to gain validation are awful, no matter how they do it, Rolexes or festivals (more like a druggy, escapist weekend than travel, nothign wrong with that though) This really has nothing whatsoever to do with travel and whether it's a fun/good thing.

I'm also irritated when people seem to think having visited places for a weekend on their parents dime makes them more wordly or cultured. But that is really a tiny portion of people who simply love travel for the new experiences, new sights, and new perspectives it can give them.

I'm detecting a hint of projection here. It's okay man, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to travel or never having been anywhere, that's no cause to despise those who have had the opportunity.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

I never thought I'd find people who hate....going places, but here we are I guess.

I just take a couple tabs and go to space

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

Genuine human experiences: stupid
taking a selfie at machu picchu: worth large proportions of my life and income

In the running for the stupidest thing ever posted here. No one ever presented this as some retarded dichotomy except for you. Going to Macchu Picchu cost me a couple hundred bucks when I was doing foreign exchange in South America during high school, and it is one of the coolest places ever. Didn't take a selfie there though, should've to amp up my douche points

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

zakharov posted:

Being at places is fine, it's the going there part that sucks.

Though I for one prefer to contemplate the meaninglessness of human existence. Don't need to go anywhere or spend anything for that.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Also raging against selfies in the year 2017 makes you sound about 95 years old

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Play posted:

In the running for the stupidest thing ever posted here. No one ever presented this as some retarded dichotomy except for you. Going to Macchu Picchu cost me a couple hundred bucks when I was doing foreign exchange in South America during high school, and it is one of the coolest places ever. Didn't take a selfie there though, should've to amp up my douche points

I was making fun of pick's dumb argument not actually presenting one myself.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArbitraryC posted:

I was making fun of pick's dumb argument not actually presenting one myself.
you need to be an actually good poster to pull that level of irony off

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

zakharov posted:

Like do people not realize human beings have been doing this forever? If anything it's gotten better considering the rich would dress in their finest silks or whatever, surround themselves with all their treasured possessions and stood still for hours to be painted. So heaven forbid we can take pictures of ourselves easily now

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
The earth is a bountiful garden, and if you look hard enough I'm sure you will find something to appreciate in your region without needlessly liberating carbon from millennia ago in order to check out Shakespear's Birthplace to give yourself the memory of drunkenly puking out the door of your tour bus

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antivehicular posted:

Look, going to the Dr. Pepper Museum taught me that a ton of advertising went into trying to get people to drink Dr. Pepper hot, which was a major revelation as to the horrifying nature of this world and the blessing that is the imminent collapse of our society

Oh god :gonk:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pick posted:

Louvre: stupid
Video games: worth large proportions of my life and income

I've seen the pictures/videos of the place. Is neat, 0 need to physically put myself near/in it is all.

I'm weird I know.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

but video games tho, man are those uncommon among literally every demographic in 2017

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Searched for arranged marriages, was trying to find a trainwreck.

My [28M] friends/co-workers [20s M/F] are mocking my wife [22F] and our arranged marriage, not sure how to address or deal with this?

quote:

My wife and I have been married for close to a year now. She was born and raised in India her entire life, while I have been raised here in America since I was four years old. As you all saw in the title, this was an arranged marriage, and I met her around two weeks before the wedding. Despite not knowing each other for a longer period of time, we have grown very close and I care for her deeply.

My main group of friends, however, many whom I have known since college, have joked and made fun of our marriage, and my wife. For example, we were at a dinner party a couple months and my friends were talking about something. My wife then commented, but because she has a pretty pronounced Indian accent, she butchered a few words, and everyone laughed and began to impersonate and make fun of her. I could see how much this hurt her, and for the rest of the night she was silent and later on asked to leave early. This was the only time this occurred in front of her, but many times when I have gone out with my buddies they casually make fun of her accent, or her confusion when it comes to American traditions and customs, and every time I tell them enough, they say "I'm just joking man, chill out", or "Don't take it so seriously".

In addition, there have been a few times when I've gone out or talked with co-workers, and when they begin to talk about or complain about their relationships and I chime in, they basically ignore or make snide remarks regarding what I have to say. I specifically remember one time where a co worker said "What do you know about marriage? Yours is not even an actual marriage".

I suppose I'm asking for help on how to deal with these sorts of comments, as I'm sure more will come throughout my marriage. My wife is naturally just very shy, so I know she won't try and defend herself when poo poo like this happens. She hasn't been able to make any friends since coming here, and refuses to come out with me because of my friends. I know she feels home sick at times, and I really want to help her come out of her shell because she's a wonderful person and her happiness is extremely important to me. So I suppose I have two questions, how can I deal with my friends and co workers? And how do I help my wife gain more confidence and come out of her shell?

tl;dr: My wife and I are in an arranged marriage, my friends and co-workers have mocked and made fun of both her, and our marriage, how can I deal with this? while also helping my wife feel better and more confident?

[Update] My [28M] friends/co-workers [20s M/F] are mocking my wife [22F] and our arranged marriage, not sure how to address or deal with this?

quote:

Previous Post:https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/3sx3rk/my_28m_friendscoworkers_20s_mf_are_mocking_my/

tl;dr: My wife and I are in an arranged marriage, my friends and co-workers have mocked and made fun of both her, and our marriage, how can I deal with this? while also helping my wife feel better and more confident?

After reading through the comments on my previous post, it really surprised and shocked me how many people thought my friends were racist, bigots, or assholes. It struck a chord deep in me with how many outsiders had such a different perspective on the issue, where I thought I wasn’t being firm enough and my friends were just ignorant in terms of the ramifications of their actions, whereas the vast majority of commentators thought they were just plain assholes and racists. I guess I was hoping if I was simply firm in my resolve, and told them in no uncertain terms if their disrespectful behavior were to continue we could no longer continue socializing, they would see the error in their ways and hopefully apologize to my wife.

So yesterday, I asked them if we could all meet up to discuss something important, and after work we all went for drinks. Once we started talking, I told them how disrespectful they were being towards both my wife and I, and addressed how much it had hurt my wife to be made fun of just because of her accent and ignorance when it comes to American customs. I continued by saying that I understand we usually joke about these sorts of topics, such as race, but that I now realized how wrong it was and it all needed to stop. They did not take me seriously at all. Immediately everyone began commenting on how much of a “bitch” I’d become since getting married, and I was always so prissy and sensitive about poo poo we’d used to laugh about all the time. They continued by saying I never enjoyed myself anymore, and how I’d basically abandoned our group because I was always spending time with my wife. I was constantly trying to respond, or defend myself, but the fuckers kept interrupting me and wouldn’t let me say anything. They also said I stopped partying like I used to, like what the gently caress? Sorry I’m not interested in getting shitfaced at the club every Friday night, we’re not in college anymore. Then one of the guys says, “Are you being all uptight because you’re not getting laid anymore? I’m surprised man, if my wife was as hot as (my wife’s name) I’d be banging the poo poo out her everyday.” Then all of them loving laughed like he’d made a hilarious joke instead of being a massive douche bag. After that I was done with them, and told them they I no longer wanted to socialize with people who were being completely disrespectful and held bigoted attitudes towards my wife, then left.

Once I got home, my wife immediately asked what was wrong. I suppose I must’ve still looked pissed off over what transpired. I told her how sorry I was over the way I handled the situation, and she would no longer have to deal with their mocking and bullying. She looked extremely guilty that I said this, and told me I didn’t have to sacrifice my happiness and friendships just to please her, and I should continue hanging out with them if I really wanted to. I don’t know, I’m kind of embarrassed to admit it but I started crying like a baby. This women, who’d left everything behind, her life, family, friends, to travel halfway across the world to a completely different country all on the promise that I would provide her with a better life, thought this entire situation was her fault, and was saying I should prioritize my happiness over her own feelings or well-being. It broke me, and made me realize what a selfish prick I was. So I spent over an hour convincing her this wasn’t her fault at all, and that she should never believe my feelings are more important than her’s, and whenever she is feeling hurt, or angry, she should express those feelings without ever thinking it was wrong to do so. I’m very saddened by how long I had allowed this to transpire, and have a ton of making up to do.
Also, I just wanted to express my thanks reddit. This was the main reason I posted an update, your guys’ comments really helped take the wool off my eyes and understand the reality of the situation. We’re in a much better place now because of it, and I truly do appreciate everything, thank you.

tl;dr: Got rid of my friends, you were right they are bunch of assholes

I thought it was kinda sweet by the end. Sucks that it took him almost a year, and a post on Reddit, to figure it out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Topical:

I [30F] found out my boyfriend [31M] has planned a couples trip [30M/33F] (which includes camping, hunting and a NASCAR race; I hate all of these activities) around the time of our 3 year anniversary.
submitted 4 hours ago * by jezzimlosingg

quote:

I am absolutely furious right now, so I apologize in advance for any poor grammar and/or formatting.

To give some backstory, I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend Colin [31] for almost 3 years now (hence the title). I met Colin during a period of my life, where I was working on my MBA and putting my life together (26 at the time). I was working hard to get my poo poo together, especially after loving around for a couple years post high school (floating around, not serious about my health, school, and having good people around me). So, when I met Colin at the time, things were going really well for me (and still are). At that time, Colin and I started seeing each other on a very ‘casual’ level. I was pretty busy with my MBA, and Colin was busy with his job (works in finance; still does). It wasn’t until around 6 months of constant hooking up, which led to us developing “serious” feelings for each other. So, this upcoming May (end of the month), it will be our 3 year anniversary. I know this may sound cheesy, but we originally had plans to do a little trip. This is why I am so furious right now.

A little over a year ago, we met this couple; Jacob [30M] and Sierra [33F], when we got seated at the same table during this ‘work conference’ for Colin. Jason and Colin work in the same industry, expect they work for different firms (from what I know about him). Over the last 6 months; specifically, they have been inviting us out a lot for dinner, drinks, and game nights. While all of this stuff has been fun, I wouldn’t consider myself “tight” or “close” with these people. That being said, Colin and Jacob have really got along well. I think that Jacob might be one of Colin’s “new” best friends. I know that Colin has hung out with both of them more then me. Some days I have been invited out, but I either had plans, was too tired from work, or I was flat out not interested. Well, this weekend, Colin brought some news to my attention, which we have been talking about for the last 3 or 4 days now.

Colin told me Saturday morning, that Jacob got invited (via one of his clients, with the opportunity to invite two other guests) to go out to North Carolina for the end of May. Apparently, we would be spending 4 (or 5?) days staying at a lake/in the woods (in a cabin), going hunting and/or fishing, and then going to the big NASCAR race that weekend. I, was not impressed with this at all. My boyfriend knows me too well, and he especially knows that NONE of this stuff interests me/ever has interested me. We ended up getting into an argument that morning, mainly because this was the time that we were going to plan a little getaway for our 3 year anniversary. Colin tried to plead with me to tell me that all of this stuff would be taken care of, and all we had to worry about was out flights and rental car. But, that doesn’t matter to me. I want to spend that time with my boyfriend, just him and me. I don’t want to go away and do activities that I’m not interested in, with people I don’t have “high on the list” to travel with. Colin has said that I am being selfish and rude towards the fact our ‘friends’ (using this loosely here) invited us on this great opportunity.

I broke down the situation to Colin like this: 1. We were already making plans to go away for our 3 year anniversary at that exact time, 2. I don’t have anything against Jacob and/or Sierra, but I don’t know them well enough to do a trip with them, 3. I appreciate their lovely offer and the fact the thought of us, but go pack to point 1. , and 4. Why don’t we do something else with them that doesn’t involve a week trip, especially during the time we were planning our trip (i.e. wine tour, nice dinner, day trip down the coast, etc.. [We live in Northern California]). But, Colin was unsatisfied with my explanations/re-buttle to him on the situation. We basically heard each other out on our points, but still, we aren’t on the same page. Yesterday afternoon, I received a text from Sierra mentioning that she “hopes” I consider coming with them on the trip. This made me even more upset because Colin ended up telling them that I wasn’t interested since it was our 3 year anniversary, and we originally had other plans. So basically, I look like “the bad guy”, or “the crazy bitch”.

I’m upset about this whole offer that Jacob proposed to Colin because they are all so set on it. We were making plans to go to Maui for a week in a half, since my parents are friends with a couple people who own timeshares. We had a couple stunning offers that were/ARE too good to pass up. I would rather pay a little extra money, and do something that we were already planning, rather then going somewhere for 5 days to do activities I have NO INTEREST in. I know that I am looked at as the “bad guy” here, but I don’t even care at this point. Colin is upset with me because he thinks that I will really enjoy these activities, and the fact that we can make time to go for dinner to celebrate our 3 year anniversary. I’m not asking for a lot here, but what I am upset about is the fact our plans our now derailed because we got invited to go on a trip with another couple. I’m sorry, I just don’t get it..

I really need help here, trying to approach Colin on a statement regarding this situation. Honestly, I am just upset that our plans are going out the window, and he doesn’t seem to understand this at all. Jacob and Sierra really want us to take advantage of this opportunity, travel with them, and do activities together (fishing, hunting, camping, NASCAR race/events, etc). No offence to them, I am not interested in this trip or the activities at all. How can I talk to Colin about this? To add on to that, how can I politely excuse myself out of this trip to Sierra (specifically) and Jacob? From getting to know these people on an okay level, they are definitely the ones that will get “butt hurt” if I don’t go. I’m getting pressured from Colin, and now from the couple (specifically Sierra) on swinging with this trip, and doing something for our 3 year anniversary on this trip.

Please, outside perspective?

Thank you for reading through my easy, I’m sorry for the length.

EDIT: He wants to make this trip our anniversary trip..

TL;DR: I [30F] found out my boyfriend [31M] has planned a couples trip [30M/33F] (which includes camping, hunting and a NASCAR race; I hate all of these activities) around the time of our 3 year anniversary. We were already planning to go on our own trip, and when this came up on Saturday, I seem to be in a losing battle (between my SO and the couple). I’m not interested in this trip, but my boyfriend wants me to take advantage of this opportunity since everything is pretty much paid for, and we get to hang out with “friends” (Work friend from a different company for my SO/I’m not that close with these people/couple).

I enjoy traveling, but "let's spend five days in the middle of nowhere with people you don't know, doing things you dislike, and it's for our anniversary" is pretty poo poo and I can't blame the OP for being mad

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehhh maybe he made a mistake going for it so quickly but she's being the wettest of blankets. Why not switch things around and make time to do both? And her insistence that she couldn't POSSIBLY have a good time enjoying nature, hiking, fishing, whatever would be pretty irritating to me. Doubt she's ever tried many of those things. Maybe I'm just a bit more easygoing but I'm not a hunter or fisher or NASCAR watcher and I would really love getting that opportunity, plus the chance to socialize with some nice people who could become close friends. She's being very stubborn, and she's right she does look like the bad guy and she knows it, reason alone to give the trip a chance.

Also a wine tour sounds like a loving poo poo vacation so there's that too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Llab posted:

My [28M] friends/co-workers [20s M/F] are mocking my wife [22F] and our arranged marriage, not sure how to address or deal with this?

[Update] My [28M] friends/co-workers [20s M/F] are mocking my wife [22F] and our arranged marriage, not sure how to address or deal with this?

I thought it was kinda sweet by the end. Sucks that it took him almost a year, and a post on Reddit, to figure it out.

I refuse to believe reddit led to some good in the world.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Play posted:

Ehhh maybe he made a mistake going for it so quickly but she's being the wettest of blankets. Why not switch things around and make time to do both? And her insistence that she couldn't POSSIBLY have a good time enjoying nature, hiking, fishing, whatever would be pretty irritating to me. Doubt she's ever tried many of those things. Maybe I'm just a bit more easygoing but I'm not a hunter or fisher or NASCAR watcher and I would really love getting that opportunity, plus the chance to socialize with some nice people who could become close friends. She's being very stubborn, and she's right she does look like the bad guy and she knows it, reason alone to give the trip a chance.

God could you imagine the headache from drinking wine all day?

Hunting is kinda dumb, target shooting and fishing are pretty cool and good.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Psycho Society posted:

Back to D&D with you (and I say this as a D&D reader and occasional poster)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Llab posted:

Aren't the stats on arranged marriage counter intuitively that they work out better than most relationships?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

Aren't the stats on arranged marriage counter intuitively that they work out better than most relationships?

Yeah because they live in cultures where they beat the gently caress out of the women if they do anything out of line and they're completely financially dependent and can't leave.

Good low divorce rate though!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Play posted:

I know what I just posted to make some people twitch cause it's funny, but seriously this trip sounds absolutely dreadful to me to. There is a million other things I could do what you're saying far as play along and make nice. I wouldn't even be arguing like this lady I'd be asking my SO if their brain had taken a vacation for even thinking I'd want to do any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'd be pissed about that trip, he's putting his needs first, no compromise. To the point where the other girl is texting saying she hopes OP will join them which, forgive me if I'm incorrect, it sounds like dude is planning on going with or without her.

If they already had plans and she has already expressed little to no interest in being around this couple, why would he go ahead and commit to a week of travelling with them? That's super inconsiderate.

Oh, and

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah because they live in cultures where they beat the gently caress out of the women if they do anything out of line and they're completely financially dependent and can't leave.

Good low divorce rate though!