Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
gently caress all these half assed wonky sequels. Aliens was the last Alien movie, everything else is just revisionist garbage Star Wars prequelsesque fan fiction. #NotMyAlien :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
I was sold at "Danny Mcbride in a hat" dont know all your probs

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The only reason to ever make this Blomkamp project is if

A) Covenant and the unnamed sequel are poorly received enough that the studio decides to let the franchise cool off for a while. Which means it probably never gets made with Blomkamp involved or more likely not at all. If Blomkamp actually ends up doing it we'd be talking about like 10 years from now, so that's another decade or so of people giving less and less of a poo poo about Newt and Hicks with each passing day.

or

B) Covenant and the unnamed sequel are hits and make lots of money, but Ridley decides that he's done with the franchise and decides to voluntarily pass the torch. At which point Blomkamp would proceed to make a movie that by all accounts would come off as an embarrassing fan fiction imitation of Ridley Scott/James Cameron.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

I feel like by the time Ridley's prequel saga finally chronologically connects directly to Alien I will be as old as that movie.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

According to the trivia on IMDB, Covenant, like Blomkamp's now on hold/cancelled Alien "3," is an amalgamation of "real Alien 3" ideas Scott had after seeing Alien 3 and disliking it. Is there any truth to that? If it is true will CineD survive?

Scott tapped Joss "Bane of CineD" Whedon to script the next movie. Confirm/deny?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

Isn't that Vader?

Nah, his helmet's too short.

Here's some interesting Covenant trivia from a set visit posted over at Joblo.

quote:

Ridley Scott decided to come back to the world of ALIEN after being let down by the AVP films. Moreover, he listened to the fans who craved aliens in Prometheus hence why Prometheus 2 goes back to ALIEN territory even down to its title. As Scott said while I was on set: “They want Aliens, I’ll give them f*cking Aliens”.

With this film popping up and embracing the ALIEN universe and Blomkamps impending ALIEN 5 aka ALIEN 3 "for real", they had film researchers create a 10-page rule-book for the series. First time that happens in the franchise's history.

ALIEN COVENANT is meant to be the second film of a trilogy. Of course if money talks, there may be more, but I got the sense that would happen without Ridley Scott.

It will be the goriest and scariest of the franchise thus far (we kept hearing that from everybody).

The infamous operating table unit from Prometheus will be back!

This film will lead up to the H.R. Giger vibe in terms of the creature design. So expect the bio mechanical look that the creature had in ALIEN to surface here!

One piece of art that I kept going back to was a Giger-esque drawing of Shaw’s head (Noomi Rapace) surrounded by bio-mechanical tubes, as if she was mutating into something (I thought the first Xenomorph from ALIEN perhaps?). I was surprised they would let such a picture out there for us to see – so keep that in mind, it may be sly misdirection on the Studio’s part.

THE HYPERSLEEP CHAMBER: On my way down the corridor, I fell upon the “HYPERSLEEP CHAMBER” set. The place was disheveled, trash and clothes were on the ground. I eventually learned that Shaw locked herself in there, she used the area as a refuge. Refuge from whom? Not sure. But my money is on her and David not getting along too well, especially in light of his new “creator” ambitions.

THE CREATURE SHOP: After the WAR ROOM we were taken to the Creature Effects shop! What a trip that was! I felt like a kid in a candy store as I witnessed some familiar creatures and new ones! We got to see a Facehugger blasted out of a canon (that’s how they execute the leaping effect – old school baby) and a hero Alien with a jaw that springs out.

More at the link. Really hope there's b-roll footage of cast members being knocked the gently caress out by the facehugger cannon.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!

SUNKOS posted:

“They want Aliens, I’ll give them f*cking Aliens”.

Were just simple people with simple wants

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"They want Aliens, I'll give them Aliens f*cking."

LMAO I finally watched this trailer, looks awesome, but due to my forgetting to turn off other music first this song began playing a few seconds before, I just rolled with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoNZRDHHPxc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jagermonster posted:

gently caress all these half assed wonky sequels. Aliens was the last Alien movie, everything else is just revisionist garbage Star Wars prequelsesque fan fiction. #NotMyAlien :colbert:

Alien 3 is good because it killed Hicks and Newt. Killed them deeeeaaaddd.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It probably would have been better received if Clemens and Andrews weren't killed off so early on. They both get the most development in their own way and then both get wasted in rapid succession. The theatrical version kind of falls apart after that point and becomes unnamed bald dudes running around in the dark for its remainder. When the movie first came out a lot of the talk about it was less that it was horrible Newt and Hicks got killed and more that the movie lacked distinction without them. But the loving awesome "Assembly Cut" has so much more going on in it, and delivers on the movie's spirituality much more effectively too.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Jagermonster posted:

This makes no sense because then how is there a frozen queen on earth in the first Alien v Predator? This directly contradicts Alien v. Predator canon!!!

But seriously, I loving hate this plot development why can't they just be loving aliens. We don't need a loving origin story that they're biological weapons or whatever. This is some midichlorian poo poo

It doesn't contradict anything because David is actually a predator, and the Predator reveal is the actual big twist in Covenant. They're messing with us by showing a xeno. Predators have had the ability to produce queens since forever. And predators also walk among us as androids programmed to seek out and fill plot holes.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lampsacus posted:

Hm, maybe minus the PTSD.
Aliens: Backsplash sounds like a good contender, it was a prelude story for 'Aliens: Labyrinth' and shows a Colonial Marine experimental weapons test gone wrong. Does this art style look familiar?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
God, labyrinth was my loving jam when I was like 10. Loved that book.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

dont even fink about it posted:

On the other hand, I desperately want to see Danny McBride die.

Him and Waterston have a bunch of action-y looking scenes to themselves spread throughout the footage so far, so I'm pretty sure they're your surviving two.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ridley is trying to start the alien film franchise, next summer we have a movie only about Hicks joining the space marines.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Kingtheninja posted:

Alien: Resurrection is a bad Alien film but a terrific Dark Horse Comics film. So I like it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kingtheninja posted:

Labyrinth is still awesome, I'd love to see Blomkamp take a swing at that rather than his Alien3 fanfiction idea.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Zeris posted:

It doesn't contradict anything because David is actually a predator, and the Predator reveal is the actual big twist in Covenant. They're messing with us by showing a xeno. Predators have had the ability to produce queens since forever. And predators also walk among us as androids programmed to seek out and fill plot holes.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8sDW-5b5abk

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Merci Xeno.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm afraid Ridley will die before he can make all these movies (knock on wood) but he seems to work really fast so hey, let's hope!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I'm afraid Ridley will die before he can make all these movies (knock on wood) but he seems to work really fast so hey, let's hope!

He is by all reports in remarkably good health for his age and more energetic and active than directors half as old.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Guy has put out a movie every year or two since 2000, so we'll probably get another couple of Scott joints at least.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Labyrinth is still awesome, I'd love to see Blomkamp take a swing at that rather than his Alien3 fanfiction idea.

My quick fan script I posted a few pages back hinted at a Labyrinth esq sequence. The flashback scene with Chruch.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

That was the stuff nightmares are made of.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Thirsty Girl posted:

Alien: Resurrection is a bad Alien film but a terrific Dark Horse Comics film. So I like it.

What an interesting take. I appreciate that movie slightly more now.

...slightly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Here's some interesting Covenant trivia from a set visit posted over at Joblo.

why did you leave out the best part?

quote:

I spied an alien with a face shaped like a butt-hole

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really enjoyed that Prologue and think it's a great direction for movies to go in

James Franco is dead as gently caress. I'm leaning towards hypersleep complications due to his cold or whatever

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

why did you leave out the best part?

quote:

I spied an alien with a face shaped like a butt-hole

Didn't want to ruin the surprise of why the xenomorph behaves in this manner

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Thirsty Girl posted:

:agreed: It really is like any number of the Dark Horse Aliens comics coming to life.

It seemed like at least half of those things had the same premise: mad scientist in space tries to create/control xenomorphs; things go badly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Guy has put out a movie every year or two since 2000, so we'll probably get another couple of Scott joints at least.

Yea, when someone brought up Cameron earlier it occurred to me that Ridley Scott has been working non-stop the entire time it took him to do Avatar so I looked at their wiki pages. In the time its taken Cameron to make Avatar and its sequels, Scott has made 14 films. Even if only half of those are good(personally I think its more than half), that's still 7 good films that Ridley made during a time when Cameron has produced 3, and that's if we're including the two Avatar sequels.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Dude it takes a long time to get lowered to the bottom of the ocean and then you gotta come back up too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just wish he could work at an at least semi-normal pace. He could have made two Avatar sequels between 2010 and 2015, and we could be sitting here now anticipating his next big project but instead we're stuck in Avatar limbo for years to come. He's a perfectionist though so I get that this is just the way he works, doesn't make it any less frustrating as a fan.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Didn't Cameron only just recently finalize the script for the first Avatar sequel? I think his aim is still to film 3 or 4 sequels back-to-back before he even releases one of them, so the whole project sounds like it's going to be stuck in production hell for a very long time. I get the impression he desperately needs someone to reign him in and get him back on track, which isn't ever going to happen because of who he is.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Basebf555 posted:

and that's if we're including the two Avatar sequels.

Why would you include films that are never coming out though?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

Why would you include films that are never coming out though?

I'm trying to be generous. Take those away and Scott has made 14 films to Cameron's one. And that includes 26 Oscar nominations(not for Scott personally). He's showing the guy up at this point.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 2, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The alleged plan is:

On April 14, 2016, Cameron confirmed that there were now plans for four sequels. Avatar 2 is scheduled for release in December 2018, with the sequels following in December 2020, 2022, and 2023, respectively.

...they also just announced an Avatar game yesterday, and Disney is opening an Avatar-themed park area in May. It seems like they're still aiming for full speed ahead.

e:

Basebf555 posted:

He's showing the guy up at this point.

That's a weird way to think about things. Cameron has spent a lot of his time on environmental efforts and exploration in the past decade, and seems to use his movie projects in part to fund that. I don't think film quantity is a concern to him. (Plus the 1 movie Cameron made in that time got 9 nominations to Scott's 26 across 14 movies so it seems like a meaningless comparison, my personal feelings about Avatar aside).

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its shock and awe tactics I guess. Just carpet bomb the entire country with Avatar related media and we'll have no choice but to convince ourselves we like it. It will probably work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

That's a weird way to think about things. Cameron has spent a lot of his time on environmental efforts and exploration in the past decade, and seems to use his movie projects in part to fund that. I don't think film quantity is a concern to him. (Plus the 1 movie Cameron made in that time got 9 nominations to Scott's 26 across 14 movies so it seems like a meaningless comparison, my personal feelings about Avatar aside).

My personal feelings about Avatar definitely color my opinions on the subject, no doubt. If the situation was reversed and the one Ridley Scott movie was like, Blade Runner, I'd be arguing that quality is more important than quantity. So there's definitely some bias here.

Still, Cameron's environmental efforts are nice and to be commended, but not really related to a discussion of his filmmaking accomplishments over the past decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thirsty Girl posted:

The Dark Horse Comics adaptation of it is by default better than the movie since it's fully illustrated by Eduardo Risso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Avatar stuff kind of mystifies me because I have no sense of whether people actually care about it as a "franchise." Personally I only saw it once back when it was in theaters (which was 8 years ago) and at the time I was taking medication that severely dried out my eyes so the 3D didn't exactly wow me. I've thought about rewatching it, but... why?

Clearly the suits are excited by the prospect of another mega-bucks franchise but I think it's a possibility the entire thing will collapse spectacularly.