Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Asymmetrikon posted:

nobody praises java's syntax, it's a bog standard ALGOL-like

the selling point of java is its mature ecosystem and easy package management through maven, which help make up for the shortcomings it has on the purely language level

yeah. it's boring, stable, and has a library for everything. the language itself is even getting pretty good since java 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nobody praises Java, but it gets the job done reliably.

It's unexciting and doesn't foist many surprises on you. The tedium of working with it is also massively overstated by its detractors. Its community also has a fairly strong consensus on how to get poo poo done. One Java codebase looks much like any other, especially if it uses Google's frameworks which afaik are becoming fairly ubiquitous these days. So you don't have to indoctrinate a new contributor into your organization's house variant of whatever language you're using, they can jump in, start exploring the relationships between types, and get straight to work.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Doom Mathematic posted:

A code snippet which properly supported human names would be appallingly complex no matter what programming language it was written in.

Yeah but you could do a lot better by combining the "first name" and "surname" fields into just one "name" field in the JSON.

Edit: picking on the name thing was stupid though, and I should have just left it at "that Haskell is actually pretty readable".

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

Sapozhnik posted:

One Java codebase looks much like any other, especially if it uses Google's frameworks which afaik are becoming fairly ubiquitous these days.

one of the problems i think is that people my age learned java almost a decade ago. back then it was not very good, not just from a language standard but from a community standard. times have changed though, for the better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I decided long ago that I just have a 'name' field and an 'address' field. They're both too complicated for my weak mind.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

java will never cause me grief because of anything in the nature of the thing itelf. the implementation and ecosystem are well-known and rock solid, you can scale and monitor and generally *work* with it, it neither falls in the trap of being a configurable mess where every site has a special snowflake setup, nor is it a black box that cannot be twisted a bit if the need arises

more fundamentally than that though; server java development is the one role in which i think even i am competent enough to hire some programmers for with a reasonable expectation that the right thing will eventually get built, and that what is built is likely to be something that can to some extent be maintained and tweaked (this to a great extent is down to the standard style of java enforcing very small units of abstractions which makes it possible for less skilled programmers to get useful things done without putting the overall project at risk)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doom Mathematic posted:

A code snippet which properly supported human names would be appallingly complex no matter what programming language it was written in.

can confirm, our name formatting code is a behemoth, especially since we have to support dutch and danish names too.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doom Mathematic posted:

See also:
http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

java will never cause me grief because of anything in the nature of the thing itelf. the implementation and ecosystem are well-known and rock solid, you can scale and monitor and generally *work* with it, it neither falls in the trap of being a configurable mess where every site has a special snowflake setup, nor is it a black box that cannot be twisted a bit if the need arises

more fundamentally than that though; server java development is the one role in which i think even i am competent enough to hire some programmers for with a reasonable expectation that the right thing will eventually get built, and that what is built is likely to be something that can to some extent be maintained and tweaked (this to a great extent is down to the standard style of java enforcing very small units of abstractions which makes it possible for less skilled programmers to get useful things done without putting the overall project at risk)

the jvm is one of the better aspects of the platform imo, in that the same code does run on quite a few platforms without much tweaking. i write code that i expect to run on windows, linux, several variants of unix across intel and power, as/400, and z/os, but am able to catch the vast majority of bugs just by testing regularly on linux with less frequent checks on those other platforms.

java will never be great, but it's far from the worst out there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Asymmetrikon posted:

one of the problems i think is that people my age learned java almost a decade ago. back then it was not very good, not just from a language standard but from a community standard. times have changed though, for the better.
my employer has to accommodate major corporations that still run on JRE 1.5

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Asymmetrikon posted:

thing is though, when it gets to this, that rob pike was right: you need to design a lot of programming languages with a mind towards people who will work 9-5, being professionals, but not being interested enough to be fantastically knowledgeable or up to date about every matter of it. java 1.4 was certainly not a pleasant place to be, but it was very much already in that building block zone, where many people could rather safely collaborate on some ambitious project, while individually not being too bothered when they or a colleague had to duck out early to pick up the kids

overall this thread is very weird in that it tries to merge these things into one whole, because a lot of what is discussed here will never get into that situation, but a lot of code will have to get written in precisely that way

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

that article is pretty drat stupid, if you ask me. outside of the obvious stuff like "use Unicode" and "don't try to do dumb validation on names", that stuff might be nice to talk about, but at some point you need to actually create a thing and I'm pretty sure that most people would rather use a program or, lets be honest, website that exists but doesn't perfectly handle their "unusual" naming conventions (just like 99.9% of things in the world) than creating the perfect website through pure force of will. Like, if you ask people to enter a separate first and last name and store them as arbitrary Unicode code points, you've done your due diligence.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nah the takeaway is pretty straightforward, just have a name field that is a kilobyte blob of unicode and don't use it internally for anything important. dont try to sanitize it, dont use it as a key, dont split it up, just leave it alone

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
i think the point of the article is that it's futile to attempt to handle names "intelligently" in most cases, and that you're better off just asking the user for a blob to call them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sinestro posted:

Like, if you ask people to enter a separate first and last name and store them as arbitrary Unicode code points, you've done your due diligence.
what meaningful things are you going to do with those 2 separate blobs? where does my middle name/initial go? where does "the sixth"/"VI" go?
ucode is like grabbing the opcode wires of a 5-stage pipelined RISC and treating them as a meaningful language

it's like the Underneath of x86, you'd sorta recognize things like RAX but they've been perverted and abstracted a few times

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

JawnV6 posted:

what meaningful things are you going to do with those 2 separate blobs? where does my middle name/initial go? where does "the sixth"/"VI" go?

ucode is like grabbing the opcode wires of a 5-stage pipelined RISC and treating them as a meaningful language

it's like the Underneath of x86, you'd sorta recognize things like RAX but they've been perverted and abstracted a few times

you'd have like a { first_name: "poo poo", last_name: "rear end-Fuckson VI" } kind of thing, where you have "what you use when you say "hey, <person>!" and "the other part".

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The problem with that article is that it's not a spec. It's just a list of terrible things which you mustn't do because it means you're a failure. It gives very few clues as to what you should actually do, and it isn't even clear that it's possible to completely satisfy anybody. Like false assumption number 11, "People’s names are all mapped in Unicode code points." What's the correct way to solve that problem?

Plus, the list itself claims to be incomplete, which means that even if you satisfy everything in the list you've probably still failed for some other reason which you were too stupid to anticipate. It's weirdly passive-aggressive.

Bloody posted:

nah the takeaway is pretty straightforward, just have a name field that is a kilobyte blob of unicode and don't use it internally for anything important. dont try to sanitize it, dont use it as a key, dont split it up, just leave it alone

Falsehood #41: a person's name takes up less than a kilobyte of Unicode. Gotcha!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Bloody posted:

seriously. many many things don't need anything more than a full name (for official communications) and a preferred name (for informal communications).

job done unless there's a reason to pull apart someone's name, in which case you try to match the locale standards the best you can.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doom Mathematic posted:

The problem with that article is that it's not a spec. It's just a list of terrible things which you mustn't do because it means you're a failure. It gives very few clues as to what you should actually do, and it isn't even clear that it's possible to completely satisfy anybody. Like false assumption number 11, "People’s names are all mapped in Unicode code points." What's the correct way to solve that problem?

Plus, the list itself claims to be incomplete, which means that even if you satisfy everything in the list you've probably still failed for some other reason which you were too stupid to anticipate. It's weirdly passive-aggressive.

Falsehood #41: a person's name takes up less than a kilobyte of Unicode. Gotcha!

Uhh that's the point though. This is a battle you cannot win. A name is a black box. It may have spaces, it may have special characters, it may have any number of parts.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sinestro posted:

you'd have like a { first_name: "poo poo", last_name: "rear end-Fuckson VI" } kind of thing, where you have "what you use when you say "hey, <person>!" and "the other part".

names of people are very complicated, and it is vaguely charming that they are, since it seems like it'd be tarnishing the humanity of the situation to have quick and easy fields to explain it fully to a computer

notably the above rather misses the fact that in some cultures it is very contextual whether you may use the "real" first name, or whether you are on an initials basis only

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

a lot of hacker news posters in this thread right now

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Sinestro posted:

well, other than completely missing the middle name, making the suffix VI part of "last_name" so that it'd cause alphabetization weirdness, and the fact that neither of those is what I'd like to see inside "Hey, $user"...

so 0/3 on the specific questions while adding some wholly new fuckups just because you want two fields instead of one opaque blob, gj

Doom Mathematic posted:

why do you need my name? why is an email/username insufficient?

you'll gently caress up, don't try

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Uhh that's the point though. This is a battle you cannot win. A name is a black box. It may have spaces, it may have special characters, it may have any number of parts.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

i'd imagine it would look like some weird stepping-specific VLIW monstrosity if anything

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sinestro posted:

we have a seperate field for dutch people to specify their van/von/whatever because like 90% of dutch people have that and they don't like it to affect alphebatization.

the approach we've taken is simply to when we sign someone in a new country work with them to develop support for their name-related needs. so sure we don't have support for vietnamese names right now, but we have arabic script and name support. in an ideal world you support more name-related needs as they come, but a lot of programmers want to poo poo-it-and-forget-it with their products and never support them once they're done.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The Chicago manual of style has a full section on name sorting for indexing and that stuff is batshit confusing. Here's a short extract:

poo poo is hard.

Moreleth
Jun 11, 2001

lego my eggo

MononcQc posted:

Programming is hard.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

why do you need my name? why is an email/username insufficient?

Can you seriously not think of a single instance where a human might want or need to enter their actual name into a computer?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Doom Mathematic posted:

Can you seriously not think of a single instance where a human might want or need to enter their actual name into a computer?

avoid if possible

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
i make the pizza delivery man refer to me by my unicode code points

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I legally changed my name to a sequence of bits which is not valid UTF-8

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
let's be real here: no one in yospos is breaking into any markets where a simple first/last name pair won't suffice

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

wouldn't surprise me to learn that most people who use the internet have figured out a way to work with the anglosphere's first/last name convention

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think the correct conclusion is that if you aren't going to make an ongoing effort to handle names correctly you probably should at least not constrain or lecture people on how they should enter stuff. probably pretty reasonable to just have "full name" and "what should we call you?" without trying to interpret beyond that

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

redleader posted:

wouldn't surprise me to learn that most people who use the internet have figured out a way to work with the anglosphere's first/last name convention

except for the people who only have a single name sure.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

I vaguely remember that some people with a single name just double it up for places that demand two

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
then the question is why not do this?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i think the correct conclusion is that if you aren't going to make an ongoing effort to handle names correctly you probably should at least not constrain or lecture people on how they should enter stuff. probably pretty reasonable to just have "full name" and "what should we call you?" without trying to interpret beyond that

because it honestly feels like white apathy/supremacy to hold on tight to first & last name as an input method unless you genuinely require further localisation of input formats, at which point you should probably still boil down to full & preferred name, with localised forms per nationality as required.

if you're gonna get it structured 'right' the only way to do it is to acknowledge that one form isn't enough to do structured name input.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

redleader posted:

I vaguely remember that some people with a single name just double it up for places that demand two

ugh i hate being forced to input wrong things because whoever gently caress made the system is dumb as hell

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powaqoatse posted:

ugh i hate being forced to input wrong things because whoever gently caress made the system is dumb as hell

i have a capital letter in the middle of my surname (McG), and for the longest time even our product couldn't handle it and would auto capitalise the M and lowercase everything else.

it still can't handle the more traditional McG though
e: SA can't handle the unicode superscript c either lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gonadic io posted:

i have a capital letter in the middle of my surname (McG), and for the longest time even our product couldn't handle it and would auto capitalise the M and lowercase everything else.

it still can't handle the more traditional McG though
e: SA can't handle the unicode superscript c either lol

i have a dash in my name and loving google won't let me use my actual name in my email address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I have four names. putting my legal name on american forms that expect exactly one middle initial was fun. and that's just within white anglo-saxon naming conventions.