Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Lobok posted:

Loving that Canada doesn't get separated out but Bolivia gets its own line.

Canada and the US have been counted as the same for box office purposes since the 1930s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sbaldrick posted:

Canada and the US have been counted as the same for box office purposes since the 1930s

Oh I know but I've always figured that was mostly because our box office didn't add much relative to the States' total so it's funny seeing Bolivia adding a cool $100 G's.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey, sometimes a dick-bug rapemonster is just a dick-bug rapemonster.

I won't get into it for the sake of brevity, but I really think that Ridley Scott is trying to rewrite the whole franchise at this point. You know how a lot of people discount the Alien series starting with Alien 3? Scott basically wants to do that, but with Aliens. Cameron and Aliens ended up creating the whole lifecycle of the Xenomorphs that have followed through most of the films. Scott basically wants to go back to include that "Dallas turning into an egg" deleted scene from the first film and overwrite the whole "there has to be something laying these eggs" Queen concept.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, War Machine is by David Michod. Yeah, sorry "test audiences", it will probably be good.

Considering the reaction to The Rover, you're right. That film wasn't particularly deep, but the reaction to most filmgoers you would think that it was some sort of unfathomable deep movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had my problems with The Rover (I'm looking at Robert Pattinson here), but #1 - it doesn't waste your time with expository dialog and #2 - I really love the punchline of the film.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Rirse posted:

All these people and no mention of Billy Zane. From Titanic to Ansem the Seeker of Darkness.

Billy Zane was also cast as the main human villain in a scam production company's attempt to hold onto the adaptation rights to the Wheel of Time series. I still haven't watched it, but the director died of exhaustion and the production company apparently lost the rights immediately thereafter in a legal action.

I gotta think he showed up just for the catering table on that one.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 2, 2017

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I had my problems with The Rover (I'm looking at Robert Pattinson here), but #1 - it doesn't waste your time with expository dialog and #2 - I really love the punchline of the film.

I had a problem with Pattinson, too, until I realized his character is supposed to be mentally retarded. Like legit mentally handicapped, either from substance abuse or whatever. I don't like volunteering this, but I was in a bad place a couple years ago and went to respite to get myself together and there were guys like that in there.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
My dad forces himself to watch every Australian film that gets made. The rover is one of like 4 from the last 5 years I've been able to sit through whenbive visited.

We make lovely, pretentious, unfunny dreck in this country.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The Square is a fantastic Australian film that needs more love.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

the director died of exhaustion

Wait wait, this part is new to me, even if I don't imagine he died filming that debacle. Got a link on this or should I just go searching later?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hiddenmovement posted:

My dad forces himself to watch every Australian film that gets made. The rover is one of like 4 from the last 5 years I've been able to sit through whenbive visited.

Expand your scope to Oceania and you'll at least get to watch some Taika Waititi.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, War Machine is by David Michod. Yeah, sorry "test audiences", it will probably be good.

Both of David Michod's movies are loving great but I will say I can't picture a comedy by the dude.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
saw an early screening of skull island; it was dumb but not bad. the production team seems to have taken the lessons of Godzilla 2014 to heart and the movie doesn't shortchange us on monster action, though they still seem to have trouble with having more than a few characters be anything but cardboard cutouts. Sam Jackson's character is well-done, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

END ME SCOOB posted:

Wait wait, this part is new to me, even if I don't imagine he died filming that debacle. Got a link on this or should I just go searching later?

The Facebook post on his death was taken down, but the man was James Seda (name legally changed from James Howell) and the entire 'pilot' was produced in 2 weeks.

https://twitter.com/sedavision?lang=en

He died days later in a car accident.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gotcha. Yeah, I followed the rest of that but somehow that detail had escaped me until now. What a poo poo show.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Gonz posted:

I'm interested to see how this is somehow worse than A Sound of Thunder.

I always get this film mixed up with The Butterfly Effect.

HannibalBarca posted:

saw an early screening of skull island; it was dumb but not bad. the production team seems to have taken the lessons of Godzilla 2014 to heart and the movie doesn't shortchange us on monster action, though they still seem to have trouble with having more than a few characters be anything but cardboard cutouts. Sam Jackson's character is well-done, though.

Is there a lot of humour? The trailers made it seem like a pretty lighthearted film, which I could go for.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Having spent a lot of time with people with mental handicaps, I can tell you Robert Pattinson knocked it out of the park.

Also, the entire movie being the set up to a joke is indeed great.

hiddenmovement posted:

Australia has some of the most interesting cinema outside of the US.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Particularly in the short-film space, there's a lot of really good, interesting shorts being made every year.

Yes, there is a lot of 'grizzled country folk crying over their deceased spouse' films being made, but no, that's not all we're producing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Having spent a lot of time with people with mental handicaps, I can tell you Robert Pattinson knocked it out of the park.

Young Freud posted:

I had a problem with Pattinson, too, until I realized his character is supposed to be mentally retarded. Like legit mentally handicapped, either from substance abuse or whatever.

I know, that's just one of those things that always seems distasteful to me as "proof" you can "really act". It's so bizarre that it's a shortcut to acclaim, it's like whenever you read about Lionel Barrymore playing one HELL of an Uncle Tom or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know, that's just one of those things that always seems distasteful to me as "proof" you can "really act". It's so bizarre that it's a shortcut to acclaim, it's like whenever you read about Lionel Barrymore playing one HELL of an Uncle Tom or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-n_zk7e0ZU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Also, the entire movie being the set up to a joke is indeed great.

I liked how Master and Commander did that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It may take a while for me to try and take Pattinson seriously after that movie where he was killed off in the World Trade Center on 9/11 at the end for no reason other than "We couldn't think of a better emotional punch with which to end our film"

If you haven't seen it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4uZlN5v4Oc

It comes completely out of left field and is one of the worst endings to any movie I've ever seen. Or the funniest?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It comes completely out of left field and is one of the worst endings to any movie I've ever seen. Or the funniest?

It's actually laid out throughout the film (the time the story takes place) but it's still hilarious to see he payoff actually happen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hiddenmovement posted:

You made Wyrmwood though.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Red Bones posted:

Is there a lot of humour? The trailers made it seem like a pretty lighthearted film, which I could go for.

There's definitely a good bit of comic relief, both intentional and (possibly?) unintentional. A few characters are played straight though, especially Sam Jackson, but also a few of his grunts.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's actually laid out throughout the film (the time the story takes place) but it's still hilarious to see he payoff actually happen.

Really? Besides a few "This is not present day!" references? Because those could have gone anywhere.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Alien:Covenant went to one of those films this year I will now actively avoid. I mean, that comment about everything being completely quiet when it shouldn't should provoke a Rick & Morty "cob planet" reaction and everyone scrambling back into the ship. I can already see it's going to be the worst elements of Prometheus on display.

I watched the full intro posted elsewhere and thought "McBride and Franco in the same film and nobody's made a cumshot joke yet?" Five seconds later, McBride busts out a cumshot joke.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The creature supervisor for Covenant said he used more fake blood for the movie than he did for Saving Private Ryan.

Also:

quote:

The approach Ridley wanted was more of a naturalistic [design]. It’s still based on the [H.R.] Giger original design. We wanted that flavor, that sort of art nouveau-y, unusual, erotic design.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I don't really see his performance as 'proof' he can act nor am I calling for acclaim, he's just really good in the role.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't really see his performance as 'proof' he can act nor am I calling for acclaim, he's just really good in the role.

Yeah, I know. I just mean that's why I was immediately turned off by his performance.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

ruddiger posted:

It makes that country look thirsty af though.

The funny part is Glorious Middle Kingdom keeps 75% of all Box Office.

It used to be 90%.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yeah, I know. I just mean that's why I was immediately turned off by his performance.

Fair enough.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Really? Besides a few "This is not present day!" references? Because those could have gone anywhere.

I mean it's loving called Remember Me. I'm not positive, but I'd bet it was supposed to be reminiscent of "never forget."

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

I feel like Sam Jackson's character is a little overbaked. Very, this is a metaphorical character, this is the metaphor we are working with. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but an awful lot of it comes from this on-the-nose dialog. That said, Jackson does a lot with it, he's perfectly cast.

In general, though, I'd say it suffers from thinner characters than Godzilla, both for the humans and the monsters.

Red Bones posted:

There's a bunch of jokes, though the film doesn't always navigate the tonal shift from, like, a giant burning ape skull to a wisecrack as smoothly as it could. but if you want humor it's got humor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Sir Kodiak posted:

In general, though, I'd say it suffers from thinner characters than Godzilla

I like when you chum the waters like this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Animal Kingdom was my favorite movie of the year it came out.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like Sam Jackson's character is a little overbaked. Very, this is a metaphorical character, this is the metaphor we are working with. Which isn't necessarily a problem, but an awful lot of it comes from this on-the-nose dialog. That said, Jackson does a lot with it, he's perfectly cast.

In general, though, I'd say it suffers from thinner characters than Godzilla, both for the humans and the monsters.

There's a bunch of jokes, though the film doesn't always navigate the tonal shift from, like, a giant burning ape skull to a wisecrack as smoothly as it could. but if you want humor it's got humor.

Uh than these characters are invisible b/c there was nothing to the characters that Bryan Cranston didn't bring to it.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 2, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Uh than these characters are invisible b/c there was nothing to the characters that Bryan Cranston didn't bring to it.

I can't think of a bad performance in Godzilla, though I accept I might be forgetting someone. But, like, Aaron Taylor-Johnson has a well-defined character. It's a restrained performance, not a non-existent one.

But Skull Island is definitely built for you if you were frustrated with Godzilla. There's a bunch of people cranked up to eleven. I'm guessing it will be well received (and I did like it too, it looks amazing).

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

I won't get into it for the sake of brevity, but I really think that Ridley Scott is trying to rewrite the whole franchise at this point. You know how a lot of people discount the Alien series starting with Alien 3? Scott basically wants to do that, but with Aliens. Cameron and Aliens ended up creating the whole lifecycle of the Xenomorphs that have followed through most of the films. Scott basically wants to go back to include that "Dallas turning into an egg" deleted scene from the first film and overwrite the whole "there has to be something laying these eggs" Queen concept.

As much as I like Aliens as a movie in hindsight it really made the alien mundane in a way the franchise has been grappling with ever since. Prometheus was "ok" and we'll see if this one is any good but I like the effort to make the alien weird again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If you want to see something funny pause at the exact frame that alien jumps out of the egg in the new trailer. Giger would be proud.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

So it's OK for all those Michael Bay movies and whatnot to give sloppy blowjobs to the US government and military, but it's a travesty the moment it's another country instead?

lolling forever

Every time someone complains about the horseshit people do for the ccp some one cries about america in retaliation. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, there's a big difference in a domestic film production making overly patriotic cheese for its home country versus sterilizing the content and shoehorning in CCP propaganda into a movie to get permission for a run in china. China is free to do that for themselves they don't need us to ruin our own movies to protect the sensibilities of the communist party of china

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always kinda figured that even if its done purely for money, or whatever, it's probably a solid idea to actually include non-American counties into American works. So Iron Man goes to China for a while. Or the Chinese help bring that dude from Mars back. It's hardly ruining things.

• Locked thread