Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Did anyone get a lot of use out of poison shurikens?

Poison shuriken was nerfed severely from the alpha/beta. They are largely useless against bosses even humans.
They are really good versus Tengu though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Okay, got home and beat her in a couple of tries. Kunai in the air helped a good bit. For whatever reason I was a lot better at reading the tells for the spin move this time. I was often able to dodge it given that, but blocking it probably won the fight for me. Thanks everyone!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I just started Nioh, and I've played through the prologue and the tutorial. I haven't made it off the beach yet, but I managed to beat one of the demon guys from the red glowing swords.

Do the weapon options you select at the beginning heavily affect what you can use, or does it only determine your initial stats?

Additionally, is there any benefit from grinding for levels? I was trying Dark Souls 1 beforehand to see if I'd like Nioh or not, and one of things I was curious about in that game is if you could make things easier by sticking close to bonfires and respawning enemies in order to grind souls and improve your stats before attempting the next section. I imagine in either game, it's only helpful up to a certain point, but in Nioh, it seems like you also have the chance to get some equipment drops to improve your gear.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Max Wilco posted:

Do the weapon options you select at the beginning heavily affect what you can use, or does it only determine your initial stats?

Initial stats. It's good to try other weapons, partly to find what works for you and also to learn the movesets of human enemies.

quote:

Additionally, is there any benefit from grinding for levels?

Definitely, but after a while you get diminishing returns on most missions. Much more important is skill choice and learning enemy patterns.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Much like with dark souls, you do not need to grind at all.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So is there anyway to infuse weapons with like lightening or fire? To be honest I don't use the blacksmith that much and honestly, I don't really understand it. I've watched a few youtubes on it but don't grasp it.
Do you even need to use the blacksmith?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

You can either use a talisman to temporarily infuse a weapon with an element or you can reforge a stat to an elemental stat.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Does agility bonus damage stack? Like if I have it on a weapon and the guardian spirit?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Does agility bonus damage stack? Like if I have it on a weapon and the guardian spirit?

I know Change to Attack stacks if you have it on both an armor set and a weapon. Should be easy to test at least: check your damage with and without Aya-Komori.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Pro-tip: You can just have the agility bonus on your ranged weapon and it works for your melee weapon too. Agility bonus on both the ranged and melee weapon doesn't stack.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Pro-tip: You can just have the agility bonus on your ranged weapon and it works for your melee weapon too. Agility bonus on both the ranged and melee weapon doesn't stack.

1. Huh, that's pretty sweet. Does it stack with Familiarity Bonus on a weapon?

2. I guess that probably means Aya-Komori's Agility bonus won't stack with a weapon, then. I suspected that "Damage Boost" might work differently than "Change to Attack" because it's percentile, while Change to Attack is just a flat number based on your stat, so stacking can't get quite as out-of-control.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

1. Huh, that's pretty sweet. Does it stack with Familiarity Bonus on a weapon?

Yes it does. I have agility bonus on my bow and familiarity bonus on my dual swords (and +20% close combat damage on my 1kat, but that's incredibly hard to get).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Yes it does. I have agility bonus on my bow and familiarity bonus on my dual swords (and +20% close combat damage on my 1kat, but that's incredibly hard to get).

poo poo, I gotta step up my min-max game.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Harrow posted:

poo poo, I gotta step up my min-max game.

I'm in the 4th region and I've been trying to min-max with forging and stuff.

Then in a mission I come across this revenant killed by a yokai. Normally I don't bother with revs, because if they died they must suck. This guy however was 30 levels higher with all purple gear and a 4 cross difficulty rating.

I got 4 pieces of warrior of the west, including the sword with a purple damage bonus from heart. It's like 150 more attack than anything else I've seen.

The moral of the story is let somebody else do it. Also, no NPC can deal with high axe quick, quick, strong.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Min-Maxing before NG+ is a waste of time. After that I've seen a lot of people with OK gear, but nothing even close to perfect. I'm pretty much done with reforging my main weapons now:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Superschaf posted:

Min-Maxing before NG+ is a waste of time. After that I've seen a lot of people with OK gear, but nothing even close to perfect. I'm pretty much done with reforging my main weapons now:

How much glory can you get in NG+? I want some of those sweet teahouse emotes and transformations, but not at 40 glory per revenant.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Can I ask what your stat spread is like to get about equal damage with both sword types? I assume having the heart scaling on the duel swords is a big part of it.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

How much glory can you get in NG+? I want some of those sweet teahouse emotes and transformations, but not at 40 glory per revenant.
I think around 100? I don't know exactly, I bought all the emotes and don't care about transformations.

MMF Freeway posted:

Can I ask what your stat spread is like to get about equal damage with both sword types? I assume having the heart scaling on the duel swords is a big part of it.
I have 99 Heart and a little bit of Skill.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel really dumb just realizing because of this discussion that having "Change to Attack <stat>" isn't just for the weapon it's on. Ditto for familiarity damage bonus.

edit: I usually get over 100 glory per revenant. I like 120-150. For enemy revenants. I only bother killing friendly revs if I feel like it, since they give half as much.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Snak posted:

I feel really dumb just realizing because of this discussion that having "Change to Attack <stat>" isn't just for the weapon it's on. Ditto for familiarity damage bonus.

I'm pretty sure only agility bonus works for other weapons, but I haven't tested it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Superschaf posted:

I'm pretty sure only agility bonus works for other weapons, but I haven't tested it.
Ah. I would guess that Onmyo Damage Bonus works the same way then.

..Which means I should equip it as my off weapon all the time...

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Am I right to assume that it's always better to equip an armor set rather than mixing and maxing gear as you find it? Been going through most of the game in Warrior of the West stuff and soul matching when it starts to lag behind and it just seems like the benefits of using half the random gear I find never outweighs the loss of the WotW set bonuses themselves. At this point new armor drops just feel like materials waiting to be disassembled unless it's something for a different set I might want to use later

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sets are overrated. Good, but overrated.

That said, my next build is going to use the raging bull set.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Davos posted:

Am I right to assume that it's always better to equip an armor set rather than mixing and maxing gear as you find it? Been going through most of the game in Warrior of the West stuff and soul matching when it starts to lag behind and it just seems like the benefits of using half the random gear I find never outweighs the loss of the WotW set bonuses themselves. At this point new armor drops just feel like materials waiting to be disassembled unless it's something for a different set I might want to use later

Yes and no.

In NG, it's not really worth it to worry about armor sets. Soul matching is prohibitively expensive in the later game and you're better off just wearing what you can find--set bonuses are nice, but when they hold you back from wearing better armor, just wear the better armor. In NG+, though, sets are great, because soul matching divine gear is much more affordable (and something you're actually supposed to do) and you can get an accessory that makes it so you need one fewer piece to activate any given set bonus.

Risky
May 18, 2003

How do I get the old man blacksmith to forge stuff? Does it all just go through the one-eyed girl or am I missing something since you can negotiate with both of them on patron price reductions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Risky posted:

How do I get the old man blacksmith to forge stuff? Does it all just go through the one-eyed girl or am I missing something since you can negotiate with both of them on patron price reductions.

They offer different discounts. It's all one business.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I disagree that sets are overrated. Once you get the accessory that basically gives you +1 to the number of a sets item's you're wearing, you can easily stack the bonuses from two sets. Generally this will mean an extra ~10% damage bonus and additional damage reduction, as well as any other passive bonuses there are.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Here's an interview from the director who gives away his secret to making a great game: Don't listen to the whiners.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/02/nioh-notes-team-ninja-details-lessons-learned-from-development/

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Belzac posted:

Here's an interview from the director who gives away his secret to making a great game: Don't listen to the whiners.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/02/nioh-notes-team-ninja-details-lessons-learned-from-development/

quote:

Rather, the experience of our past failures was the guiding force behind this position. You see, I was the also the director in charge of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, two projects where I learned very difficult and valuable lessons.
And based on those experiences, I reminded myself from the beginning of Nioh’s development that I should never compromise our core audience and the integrity of our work.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to see this.

I hope we get an Ninja Gaiden 4.

Also find it kind of neat that it was mostly the japanese players that complained about the difficulty.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Snak posted:

They offer different discounts. It's all one business.

Thank you, also I remember seeing something about how they made it to where if you had a surplus of rifle ammo/hand cannon projectiles in your storehouse that you can visit a shrine mid-mission to refill them. I have no idea how to get it to do it though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Also find it kind of neat that it was mostly the japanese players that complained about the difficulty.

I've always found it strange that there is the idea that Asian gamers prefer extremely challenging games and will reject easy ones. By far the most popular games (In Japan at least) are turned based Rpgs.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Unfinish3d posted:

I disagree that sets are overrated. Once you get the accessory that basically gives you +1 to the number of a sets item's you're wearing, you can easily stack the bonuses from two sets. Generally this will mean an extra ~10% damage bonus and additional damage reduction, as well as any other passive bonuses there are.

Right, but until you get that, they aren't necissarily better than non-sets.

For example there is no Onmyo Magic set. But there is Onmyo Magic gear.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Snak posted:

Right, but until you get that, they aren't necissarily better than non-sets.

For example there is no Onmyo Magic set. But there is Onmyo Magic gear.

Maybe one of the DLCs will let us beat up Tenkai and steal his gear.

I'm still new to NG+, but I'm caring more about sets now just because it seems like divine gear still leaves a slot open even with an inheritable, whereas set gear can fill out the whole listing (with the last bonus being the set name). So, purely going by quantity, filling your gear with sets will provide more bonuses than the best generic gear. I do agree that generally it's not as important as some people make it, it's more of a minmax thing

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah chiming in t say, don't even loving worry about min-maxing in NG. Just equip the most powerful stuff that's dropped for you.

What happens is, even if you get a max level item in NG, it's going to be an exotic. And eventually everything exotic or less rare is trash.

There is a new category that unlocks after you beat the game; Divine items.

They get ONE more extra perk over exotic stuff, and can be fused together to make +1, +2 and all the way up to +10 versions which are significantly more powerful. And you get to use Divine fragments to roll for even better perks on reforging. It's a waste to think about min-maxing, forging, rerolling or getting armor sets (you can still get smithing texts which will help out later).

I just finished Nioh and got the platinum yesterday. Maybe completed 33% of NG+. I'm gonna put it down for now and let the DLC come out. I can't imagine they'll make the DLC very hard from the start, but they could make up the challenge for it on hard mode DLC missions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Blister Beetle powder is a lot more powerful than I expected, if you're into poison. It's fairly easy to trick the AI into staying stationary long enough for it to proc.

What are all the things you can stack to up your poison damage?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Anyone having luck with the password or friends features? My friend and I are trying and the only thing I can do to get summoned is to do the "Random Encounters" with the same password. We try the friends option or the password option with either one of us waiting and searching and nothing ever connects. I'd like to do missions with him as a cooperator who can loot chests and open doors but we just can't seem to get it to work.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Whichever one of you that is getting summoned has to have beaten the mission they are being summoned to.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
quote is NOT edit

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Whichever one of you that is getting summoned has to have beaten the mission they are being summoned to.

We are doing it that way, I think. We each set our online settings to the same password. My friend goes into his next main mission, goes to the shrine, and offers a cup.

He is doing main missions so there is no question I have already beaten it. But unless I go to the "Random Encounters" option, my search always fails. You're saying you've done this with a friend and you go into the cooperative option, he can summon you, and you can open doors, search corpses, etc?

We also tried the "Friends Only" option without the password, but when we did that not even the random encounters option worked. I tried waiting and he tried searching, vice-versa, no dice. He went into a mission and offered a cup and I then tried both the search and waiting options to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The person who wants to summon goes into the level and offers a cup. The person who wants to be summoned goes to Torri Gate>Yokai Realm With Companion and sets it to the correct level. Once the person offers the cup the other person should hit search. The other night trying to co-op with a friend this is the only method we could get to work. If you time it right it works like 90% of the time.