Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
You could use a MLM to launder money, but that's the only useful purpose it could serve. Everything else is just a flat-out scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

therobit posted:

Wow. Does your company not have a rule against hawking poo poo to other employees at work?

We're actually a government agency! We can't use any public money for employee events, so they have to raise money from employees throughout the year to pay for our Christmas party.

Employees have to fund 100% of the cost of any employee appreciation event or food. The employee appreciation committee is exempt from the rules about hawking poo poo to other employees.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 2, 2017

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What can you tell me about converting a bread starter to use with homebrew?

Sent you a PM

Devian666 posted:

I have to admit to making some amazing beer at university. We didn't save money because we drank more but we were drinking good beer at higher percentages. Better than the cheap lovely beer we'd be drinking for years.

Its possible to save money but unlikely for the reasons you've stated, plus people become interested and buy more expensive beers to try commercial examples and its just a huge rabbit hole that never ends. :homebrew:

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 2, 2017

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

therobit posted:

Wow. Does your company not have a rule against hawking poo poo to other employees at work?

The big advantage to working for a monolithic F500 is they've seen all these problems a million times and have put blanket "do not solicit your coworkers" policies in place to avoid these issues.

You take the bad with the good :shrug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guinness posted:

Not only is their software and security absolutely, laughably terrible but I regularly got a peek into their database (because lol what's anonymized/generated test data). There's perhaps a few hundred people out of tens of thousands making any significant amount of money out of the whole scheme. Of those few hundred, a very small handful of people making six-seven figures while the others were typically in the five figure range. All the rest of the thousands of "consultants" are regularly losing money, sometimes enormous amounts of it.

MLMs are actually required to release this information publicly and it's astonishing the first time you look at it.

Last year sometime I posted about my bf whose relative suckered him into an MLM. I found their income disclosure and no-poo poo 80% of their marks Independent Representatives don't see a dime and something like 98% make a few hundred bucks a year.

Like I knew they were bad investments but that just blew me away. Luckily that (combined with his preexisting unease about his relative telling him to trick people into hearing his pitch by calling up old friends and pretending he wants to just get coffee and catch up, then selling them) was enough to get him to back away.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Of course, MLM's try to skirt this requirement. Here's a particularly egregious example:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Konstantin posted:

Of course, MLM's try to skirt this requirement. Here's a particularly egregious example:

If you don't cross post that in the Bad/Funny Graphs thread, I'm going to.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Its possible to save money but unlikely for the reasons you've stated, plus people become interested and buy more expensive beers to try commercial examples and its just a huge rabbit hole that never ends. :homebrew:

Mix that in with living in a city that is a craft beer hub. It's getting really expensive to drink at the pub and after a few 6-8% beers walking gains a few challenges. I was going to become a private investor in one company but missed the deadline, there's a lot of exporting going on now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BigDave posted:

You could use a MLM to launder money, but that's the only useful purpose it could serve. Everything else is just a flat-out scam.

Do you think the mobster that has to sell Cutco to launder the money ever gets made fun of by the other mobsters?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do you think the mobster that has to sell Cutco to launder the money ever gets made fun of by the other mobsters?

Depends if it cuts into their profits.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe the Cutco knives fell off the truck.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Only once. :ese:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

We're actually a government agency! We can't use any public money for employee events, so they have to raise money from employees throughout the year to pay for our Christmas party.

Employees have to fund 100% of the cost of any employee appreciation event or food. The employee appreciation committee is exempt from the rules about hawking poo poo to other employees.

Our employees association just charged people :20bux: at the door. No fuss, no fundraising, just straight cash.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, by sleeping in them.

Daaaaaaamn

potee posted:

The big advantage to working for a monolithic F500 is they've seen all these problems a million times and have put blanket "do not solicit your coworkers" policies in place to avoid these issues.

You take the bad with the good :shrug:

Do they have an exemption for Girl Scout Cookies? Those seem to be the only thing that people genuinely want in the "please buy my poo poo" category.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I still don't understand how anyone could think it through all the way and conclude "yes, I will surely make sufficient profit over the 96000+interest driving for uber over the lifetime of this single luxury car". What did he think his probability of success was? His estimated yearly income after loan payments/expenses? That's insane.

As far as I can tell, nobody takes uber black on purpose, they just con people at the airport who see "uber" on the sign and assume a normal taxi rate, missing the word "black" in tiny letters meaning you're about to get hustled. Maybe they get businesses who want to appear fancy to their clients, but I find it a little hard to believe that calling a "nice" uber is going to look anywhere as good as calling a normal car service to have a car/limo waiting.

you used to be able to only drive uber black or uber xl but uber changed the rules so now black/xl drivers have to also take x (and maybe pool?) customers. i dunno about the last few years but i knew people in los angeles making six figures (grain of salt, before expenses) driving black/xl. from what i've heard you're lucky to make $10/hr driving x

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Senf posted:

Yeah, you're right: he'd still be making a ton of money that could afford him a very comfortable life in San Diego. But $350k/year is enough to live comfortably in the Bay Area, too. And I think it goes deeper than his salary.

I mean, sure, he'd still be making bank. But he'd be making considerably less in a region that isn't dramatically cheaper than the Bay Area and it sounds like he still wants to live the same lifestyle but maybe hopefully pay a little less for it. However, if he can't comfortably live in the Bay Area on $700k/year and not have to worry about the cost of an occasional bagel/juice, then I'm guessing that taking a 50% pay cut to move to a slightly less expensive part of the state might not work out very well for him. His lifestyle must be pretty intense.

And this obviously isn't perfectly accurate, but:

Hopefully the move does work out for him, though!

Yeah, the guy is a moron. If he doesn't think San Diego has expensive juice and bagels, lol

But somehow he's not even the most egregious unsympathetic character in the article. Remember that a woman in a couple that makes $1m a year was quoted as saying "‘The American dream is not working out here" because they can't afford a house. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I feel for the people who get their first six-figure deal and want to feel like they hit some huge successful life milestone but don't "feel rich" because they can't afford to live on their own in the city. Yeah, it probably sucks. But, everyone knows what the deal is in SF and have known for years. It was stupid expensive 10 years ago and it's only gotten worse. And, that article is also cute in that tech workers are suddenly concerned about displacement and housing costs and losing their place in their community because they're now the victims and not the perpetrators.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

How do you even repo a funeral? I mean maybe if they're buried but what are you gonna do if they're cremated, go out and collect the scattered ashes?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ate all the Oreos posted:

How do you even repo a funeral? I mean maybe if they're buried but what are you gonna do if they're cremated, go out and collect the scattered ashes?

Raise the dead?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Senf posted:

Not everything in this article is BWM, but there are a few that kind of kill me. Here's one:

He has some reasonable complaints and the Bay Area is insane, but uh :psyduck:

I took a 75% comp cut to move from the Bay Area back to Toronto. I don't regret it at all.

E: more, actually. hmm!

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 2, 2017

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Subjunctive posted:

I took a 75% comp cut to move from the Bay Area back to Toronto. I don't regret it at all.

Somehow I think your particular situation was orders of magnitude above the "$100k to $25k" that people would envisage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Weatherman posted:

Somehow I think your particular situation was orders of magnitude above the "$100k to $25k" that people would envisage.

Not orders of magnitude, but more than that, yes. Certainly not orders of magnitude above the guy being discussed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BigDave posted:

Pretty much. 6 months ago, just for kicks, I applied for the AmEx Gold Card. I'm a full-time college student making about $14k a year on paper, and they approved me.

I tried to cancel it last month and they gave me a $75 statement credit. :shrug: It's a charge card with a decent points system, and I'd keep it, if it wasn't for the $200 annual fee.

There are no differences in qualifying for a green/gold/plat card with amex. It's just a difference in annual fees/card features. For example, I pay the outrageously high $450/year for a platinum card for myself because of my travel patterns. Between the precheck/global entry credit and lounge access it makes up for that insanity. Should my travel pace change I'll be switching that thing back out to a green card ($95/year) before the next annual fee.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

There are no differences in qualifying for a green/gold/plat card with amex. It's just a difference in annual fees/card features. For example, I pay the outrageously high $450/year for a platinum card for myself because of my travel patterns. Between the precheck/global entry credit and lounge access it makes up for that insanity. Should my travel pace change I'll be switching that thing back out to a green card ($95/year) before the next annual fee.

If your spend is high enough, and some smooth talking, they might give you a year for free when you go to do that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

My parents just called me to ask how much vacation time I have. They went on a vacation to a timeshare presentation in Hollywood, Florida just to get the free rooms and not buy anything.

They bought a timeshare.

They can't use it this year, so they wanted to let me use it. I probably will out of guilt and to make their BWM move seem less BWM to them.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 2, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

My parents just called me to ask how much vacation time I have. They went on a vacation to a timeshare presentation in Hollywood, Florida just to get the free rooms and not buy anything.

They bought a timeshare.

They can't use it this year, so they wanted to let me use it. I probably will out of guilt and to make their BWM move seem less BWM to them.

Might not be too late to be able to cancel it, try and persuade them.

If not, look up the rules about refusing an inheritance when the time comes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BarbarianElephant posted:

Might not be too late to be able to cancel it, try and persuade them.

If not, look up the rules about refusing an inheritance when the time comes.

Bonus potential BWM: My mom signed up for a credit card while on the flight to get a discount on her next ticket purchase. I have no idea what card it is, but it does have an annual fee of about 100 bucks.

She is in her early 60's and this is her first credit card that offers rewards and they were on a flight to a "free" hotel stay, so I think she was in a bargain euphoria and just went with it.

I'm going to talk to them about the card, but not the timeshare. They liked it there and want to use it when they retire. I'm not going to be able to convince them.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
It's a lot easier to get rid of a credit card than a timeshare.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's a lot easier to get rid of a credit card than a timeshare.

Agreed, but they are all in for the timeshare. The first thing I said when they told me was that they said they weren't going to buy anything and that timeshares are almost always more expensive than they are worth.

But they want a place to vacation when they retire and you can only access this specific beach and place as a timeshare member, blah blah.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

They bought a timeshare.

My wife was a collections agent for a huge Mexico-based timeshare company. The amount of bullshit fees that even trying to use a vacation week anywhere, the blackouts, the maintenance fees that you're on the hook for regardless... I can only imagine the people who buy into that are also those that think buying an RV or a trailer-able boat for use twice a year is a good idea.

We got married on the beach in Hollywood, FL and I can't think of a reason to buy some ratty timeshare for what amounts to a stay in the Setai. I'd much rather stay in a resort where your plate from the buffet is brought to your table for you. I felt so stupid for not being able to carry my own plate of eggs. No wait, I want to spend a week in a motel with moldy blue carpet and buy oreos and cheez-its from Publix to eat because the timeshare took all my money.

I hope I don't inherit my Grandparents' timeshare.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

the talent deficit posted:

you used to be able to only drive uber black or uber xl but uber changed the rules so now black/xl drivers have to also take x (and maybe pool?) customers. i dunno about the last few years but i knew people in los angeles making six figures (grain of salt, before expenses) driving black/xl. from what i've heard you're lucky to make $10/hr driving x
(Low) Six figures is not sufficient to reasonably buy a 96k car, but certainly not unheard of either. (Surely we've heard enough stories of people buying cars that cost more than they make each year in this thread, I'm unsurprised.)

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Glad it worked out for you then!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My aunt impulsively bought a timeshare yesterday while on her vacation to mexico but her son talked her out of it before the cooloff period ended.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My grandparents own several time shares, I do not envy the headaches that will cause for my mom when they pass.

They did use them multiple times a year at least, but still there's no way to be gwm with timeshares (unless you own the timeshare company)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Motronic posted:

FYI it's increasing to $550/year

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Krispy Kareem posted:

You absolutely do make money. Just not enough to cover long term expenses.

That's not making money though. That's losing money.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

That's not making money though. That's losing money.

But it looks like you're making money. It'd be like a MLM that deferred all your startup costs for a year. Look at all this money I'm making!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

How does one liquidate a timeshare? Do you have to go out and con someone else into taking yours?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

El Mero Mero posted:

How does one liquidate a timeshare? Do you have to go out and con someone else into taking yours?

It probably varies from con to con but basically, is my understanding.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sounds like selling real estate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

brugroffil posted:

My grandparents own several time shares, I do not envy the headaches that will cause for my mom when they pass.

They did use them multiple times a year at least, but still there's no way to be gwm with timeshares (unless you own the timeshare company)

You can disclaim an inheritance. Since most timeshares are hard to sell and cost a lot per year, it may well be worth it for your mom to look into this. And you, too, in case you get them!

• Locked thread