Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'M MIHU, WHO WANTS TO LICK A RED PANDA'S BUTTHOLE?!?? OWO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
BOYMEAT

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JUGGERNAUT LONELY

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
IT LOOKS LIKE POO-POO! :chef:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I spell Dollars DOL'LAR$ and no one ever gets it but I laugh.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Grondoth posted:

I spell Dollars DOL'LAR$ and no one ever gets it but I laugh.
OK, but how do you spell Da'LER$?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

OK, but how do you spell Da'LER$?

wrong apparently

fuckin I can't even do my own in joke right what use am I

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
HE IS COMPLETELY WRAPPED IN CLINGFILM!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You don't wanna know about crowning?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
What is happening to my ears!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't make these posts, goodbye!

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
Today I overheard someone say "Romantic attraction and sexual attraction are totally different", and it took me a second to realize why that sounded so familiar.

e: holy poo poo that episode was nearly 5 years ago

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with Internet Comment Etiquette, but I think f+ fans will appreciate the weird internet poo poo he brings up

He definitely touches the poop, but it's funny as hell.

edit: just realized, he's this guy

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 1, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Benny the Snake posted:

The hell is "California woke" supposed to mean?

For me it means they preface everything that could be construed as sensitive with fifteen minutes of falling over backwards to show how totally uncomfortable they are instead of just getting it and mocking the thing for what it is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The phrase puts me in mind of one time when I was listening to some gaming podcast, and they were talking about all the evil things you can do in a spy RPG called Alpha Protocol- "you can smash a bottle over this guy's head to make him talk, you can murder this guy's friend and gloat about it to him, you can brutally assault-rifle this guy in the face" but then they have to include a disclaimer that of course they're not the kind of person who'd do that in real life. This weird fear that the things you do in a game or watch in a movie or read in a book will be used to judge you and you have to make sure you're absolutely clear that you don't endorse them. The F Plus mostly doesn't do this, which is something I like about it- in the Men's Rights or PUA episodes it's understood that these are loathsome people without Lemon saying "I do not endorse the content of what I have just read"

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

For me it means they preface everything that could be construed as sensitive with fifteen minutes of falling over backwards to show how totally uncomfortable they are instead of just getting it and mocking the thing for what it is.

Or they genuinely find it uncomfortable, and recognize that their audience may not want to listen to something involving rape, or sexual assault, or whatever.

I don't get why people are so stuck on this bullshit """"virtue signaling"""" garbage.

Also, it's not the fplus, so maybe there is another thread to bitch incessently about this??????

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Or they genuinely find it uncomfortable, and recognize that their audience may not want to listen to something involving rape, or sexual assault, or whatever.

I don't get why people are so stuck on this bullshit """"virtue signaling"""" garbage.

i'll give you a hint

it's because they're massive loving baby idiot morons who can't stand anyone having politics they don't agree with

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

The phrase puts me in mind of one time when I was listening to some gaming podcast, and they were talking about all the evil things you can do in a spy RPG called Alpha Protocol- "you can smash a bottle over this guy's head to make him talk, you can murder this guy's friend and gloat about it to him, you can brutally assault-rifle this guy in the face" but then they have to include a disclaimer that of course they're not the kind of person who'd do that in real life. This weird fear that the things you do in a game or watch in a movie or read in a book will be used to judge you and you have to make sure you're absolutely clear that you don't endorse them. The F Plus mostly doesn't do this, which is something I like about it- in the Men's Rights or PUA episodes it's understood that these are loathsome people without Lemon saying "I do not endorse the content of what I have just read"

Exactly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
except when Lemon literally opened a podcast by saying 'hey we actually don't want people to be unhappy' and everyone in this thread thought it was fine.

If your only lens you can view saying 'that was fuckin gross though' from is 'fear that the things you read in a book will be used to judge you' then I don't really know what to say honestly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Alaois posted:

i'll give you a hint

it's because they're massive loving baby idiot morons who can't stand anyone having politics they don't agree with

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Goon doesn't understand how to interact with others and is mad about something dumb, news at 11. :foxnews:

I wouldn't mind having the next MRA-adjacent episode having more women involved though, it just seems silly to have a pack of dudes making fun of people who want the world to be a pack of dudes.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I think Lemon said that they're pretty much done with MRAs, but that PUAs might happen again at some point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Famethrowa posted:

I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with Internet Comment Etiquette, but I think f+ fans will appreciate the weird internet poo poo he brings up

He definitely touches the poop, but it's funny as hell.

I know I wasn't, but I am very glad you linked it because this is some of the funniest poo poo I've seen in a while.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

The hell is "California woke" supposed to mean?

It's like regular woke, but with avocado on top.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

he did it, the only actual funny response!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

he did it, the only actual funny response!

M V P! M V P! M V P!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

2house2fly posted:

I hate this garbage, since it's encouraging the bullshit witch-hunt culture that's ruining everything today. Just because a certain segment of angry idiots like to pretend that all people are actually five year olds with no ability to tell fiction and reality apart doesn't make it true.

steinrokkan posted:

I listen IDEOTV with my best friend, who is an actual survivor of sexual abuse and mysteriously doesn't like the poo poo that happened to them being used as an excuse for two dudes to jerk themselves off for fifteen minutes about how wonderful they are. Yeah, people abuse the concept of virtue signaling to mean "not hating women or minorities" but there is an actual problem there, especially when it's two thirty-something-ish white dudes taking actual poo poo and using it for some grand show of how great they are.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

I personally fell off the IDEOTV truck because I was getting maybe 1 in 8 music references they were making, and they were making a lot of them. Also a bit too smug about music for me, but I get where J comes from on that, what with music being his profession

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

hoobajoo posted:

Like regular woke, just more self-absorbed and worse traffic :ca:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i can't believe all of these podcasts have become infected with Cultural Marxism

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Alaois posted:

i can't believe all of these podcasts have become infected with Cultural Marxism

Go on...:allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

A Meat posted:

I personally fell off the IDEOTV truck because I was getting maybe 1 in 8 music references they were making, and they were making a lot of them. Also a bit too smug about music for me, but I get where J comes from on that, what with music being his profession

I had a similar feeling, although I got back on later out of boredom at work. If they're talking about a book by someone who's a celebrity in a field you don't know, then you suddenly won't get pretty much all of the episode. The only exceptions to this I've heard so far are the book by Morrissey (I don't even know a single note by the Smiths but that episode was hilarious), and the one with Lemon about Corey Taylor's book.

I think I side with them about being touchy on approaching certain subjects, though, ar least in theory. They're talking about books that are often known in part for their unhealthy politics, or are presented in such a way that those politics would be impossible to ignore. It's something they have to address at some point when talking about it, and that requires them, as non-lovely human beings, to address it in a way more sensitive way than the book does. I think they best handled it when talking about Hammer of the Gods (the Led Zeppelin 'tell-all'), when they addressed it existing and then didn't talk about it, in large part because the book was terrible in tons of other ways that were more worthwhile to dig into than that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tatum Girlparts posted:

except when Lemon literally opened a podcast by saying 'hey we actually don't want people to be unhappy' and everyone in this thread thought it was fine.

Once. It isn't like it's a recurring thing in the podcast.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

I hate it when people try to be good people more than I think they should
:goonsay:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I believe it may have been a joke, as strange as it might seem in this trash heap

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I never really thought they were trying to show how aware they were or whatever I just wished they'd day it at the start instead of spending ages sidestepping it awkwardly before talking about whatever thorny issue it was when it came up. The Lemon thing isn't comparable anyway because he was making it clear that the people they make fun of they don't wish ill on. The IDEOTV thing is whether or not the thing they're discussing will upset people no the author.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If J.W. didn't whinily pitch the end of every other sentence up and Chris didn't smugly pitch the end of every other sentence down, it would be much easier to hear them talk about that crap. I honestly think that's where most of these impressions are coming from.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 2, 2017

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I think the big difference is that when the F Plus runs into assholes like the MRAs or whatever, they acknowledge that the people are bad by mocking them and making jokes rather than just groaning, sighing, and apologizing constantly. It's like yeah, we know these people suck and we're having fun at their expense, there's no need to agonize over it or attempt to reinforce that HEY WE AREN'T LIKE THESE GUYS because yeah, obviously you're not like them. It just feels unnecessary.

Also the jingles. gently caress the jingles.

The F Plus readers never take themselves too seriously, and that's why they're lovable dorks.

Bunnybread
Feb 16, 2012

HoboTech posted:

The F Plus readers never take themselves too seriously, and that's why they're lovable dorks.

I'm more of a fuckable meathead, but sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

HoboTech posted:

I think the big difference is that when the F Plus runs into assholes like the MRAs or whatever, they acknowledge that the people are bad by mocking them and making jokes rather than just groaning, sighing, and apologizing constantly. It's like yeah, we know these people suck and we're having fun at their expense, there's no need to agonize over it or attempt to reinforce that HEY WE AREN'T LIKE THESE GUYS because yeah, obviously you're not like them. It just feels unnecessary.

Also the jingles. gently caress the jingles.

Judging by the ideotv Facebook group, their audience is very different and tbh probably doesn't really overlap with fplus listeners. I don't think I blame them for playing to their audience :shrug:

Different strokes and all that.