Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jay Rust posted:

I bet Everett True punches nazis all the time.
October 1, 1917

Mr. True would also punch ethnic Germans and draft dodgers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jedit posted:

Talk to ISIS or the Taliban, I understand they always have vacancies for IUD makers.

poo poo man, ISIS did a real 180 on womens reproductive rights.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Don't we make fun of other artists for building up a strawman just to knock it down? I like Bors, but this is a miss.

See, it seems strange to me that you would call this a strawman. In my view, it's not about conservative people being weird about eating well-done steak. It's about a certain brand of conservatism, which pre-dates the alt-right, whose main ideological inclination seems to be things perceived to make liberal elitists upset.

A few years ago, people were taking the mufflers off their trucks just to pollute more. Others were replacing CFL bulbs with traditional incandescent because some liberal elitist tried to make a change. Fast forward to 2016, we have Young Republicans inviting that Milo to speak on college campuses. Deliberate provocation is the name of the game. Now I get to make fun of you for being upset. I swear, the slightest things sets you snowflakes off. People doing dumb things, like polluting more or (saying that they are) charring their steaks and eating them with ketchup, just to try and get a rise out of people. That's not new.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nenonen posted:

October 1, 1917

lol @ the beer, pretzels, and sausage in kaiser bill's pain-cloud

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

lol @ the beer, pretzels, and sausage in kaiser bill's pain-cloud
A fine tradition of stars replaced with ethnic stereotypes continued by the 2009 game Punch Out

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Ashrik posted:

See, it seems strange to me that you would call this a strawman. In my view, it's not about conservative people being weird about eating well-done steak. It's about a certain brand of conservatism, which pre-dates the alt-right, whose main ideological inclination seems to be things perceived to make liberal elitists upset.

A few years ago, people were taking the mufflers off their trucks just to pollute more. Others were replacing CFL bulbs with traditional incandescent because some liberal elitist tried to make a change. Fast forward to 2016, we have Young Republicans inviting that Milo to speak on college campuses. Deliberate provocation is the name of the game. Now I get to make fun of you for being upset. I swear, the slightest things sets you snowflakes off. People doing dumb things, like polluting more or (saying that they are) charring their steaks and eating them with ketchup, just to try and get a rise out of people. That's not new.

Yup. That comic in no way has a strawman, it's a very accurate take on the "HEH, TRIGGERED MUCH LIBERAL CUCK?" kind of conservative. They're the kind of people who would literally eat poo poo if the MSM ran a story saying "Eating poo poo is bad".

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rest In Peace, Bobby McGee :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yup. That comic in no way has a strawman, it's a very accurate take on the "HEH, TRIGGERED MUCH LIBERAL CUCK?" kind of conservative. They're the kind of people who would literally eat poo poo if the MSM ran a story saying "Eating poo poo is bad".

Michelle Obama should have campaigned against jenkem.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm glad literally the only thing that you need to be a great President is one semi lucid speech. I'm sure retroactively all these right wing cartoonists will agree on how awesome Obama was.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Radish posted:

I'm glad literally the only thing that you need to be a great President is one semi lucid speech. I'm sure retroactively all these right wing cartoonists will agree on how awesome Obama was.

Obama used teleprompters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Teleprompters are great now this checks out.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Obama used teleprompters.

Did anyone say he didn't? Lol

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Ramirez's first unambiguously pro-Trump cartoon?

Am I the only one who sees a (brown) ball firmly wedged in the catcher's mask, right underneath the catcher's nose? I don't see what else that round brown object could be.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neige posted:

Am I the only one who sees a (brown) ball firmly wedged in the catcher's mask, right underneath the catcher's nose? I don't see what else that round brown object could be.

I saw that as well.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neige posted:

If you look closely it appears to even have stitching on it, outside of the standard hatch-shading.
I guess the coloring ruined the joke?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Neige posted:

Catcher's masks have significant chin padding. Ramirez can't draw.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I think you might mean IED. Those two things are not very similar.

Someone hasn't played Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

santanotreal posted:

Did anyone say he didn't? Lol

The point is that Obama giving good speeches "doesn't count" to Republicans because he has teleprompters. That's a real talking point, by the way, not a joke: there were plenty of cartoons about how the only reason Obama is such a good orator is teleprompters.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Xenoveritas posted:

The point is that Obama giving good speeches "doesn't count" to Republicans because he has teleprompters. That's a real talking point, by the way, not a joke: there were plenty of cartoons about how the only reason Obama is such a good orator is teleprompters.

And Trump is almost mediocre at best, even with teleprompters. It's not a good talking point.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Trump is a fat gently caress AGC

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
it would have been so easy to make the baseball more obvious and also the right color

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

it would have been so easy to make the baseball more obvious and also the right color

There's a baseball?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I think that blob is supposed to be part of the catcher's mask, honestly.

But yeah, that it's so up for debate is proof positive that Michael Ramirez might not exactly be a master of his craft. Two Pulitzers.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

The McCoy "Trashing Betsy DeVos" cartoon controversy is on the front page of Wikipedia.

The poop is spreading....

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

IUD's are kinda like IED's for sperm

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nenonen posted:

October 1, 1917

WW1 germans weren't nazis tho...and draft dodging is a good thing, i thought he was a good guy :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vib Rib posted:

I'm going to blame autocorrect and casually gloss over the fact that I wasn't using my phone to post.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Well that's super depressing to watch a smaller nation make the exact same mistake we've already made on a much grander scale. If America can't be good, at the very least it'd be nice to act as a cautionary tale.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

mandatory lesbian posted:

WW1 germans weren't nazis tho...and draft dodging is a good thing, i thought he was a good guy :(

He just loves to punch. Politics are irrelevant

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Titus Sardonicus posted:

And Trump is almost mediocre at best, even with teleprompters. It's not a good talking point.

It never was a good talking point, but it's not about comparing Obama to Trump. It dates to the 2008 election and was a racist dog-whistle to suggest that Obama wasn't really an excellent speaker, he only sounded that way because of the teleprompter. It's way a certain cartoonist (McCoy, I think?) would always show Smug-bama with teleprompters: the dog whistle is that Obama can't possibly really be a great speaker, it must be the technology.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's been running a lot more both-sides lately. But I'm not disagreeing.

Discendo Vox posted:

I've just checked. It's in response to a specific USA Today article. I knew Doug, and I'd be astonished if anyone related to him was to the right of Trotsky.
Man, we just had this conversation about Marlette yesterday. I swear the dude is shining boots for the administration way more than never! I'm not crazy :shobon:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man, we just had this conversation about Marlette yesterday. I swear the dude is shining boots for the administration way more than never! I'm not crazy :shobon:

It's...not a positive account of the president.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Ashrik posted:

I can agree with this explanation.

I guess I just saw this one as different because I have seen actual Trump supporters saying wtf about the steak thing instead of embracing it as Donald owns those lie-beral idiots with one simple trick: burning the poo poo out of meat, whereas the other things are actually a thing that happens.

But yeah I'm not going to double down on this, Bors is good. He's not being literal with the person, just pointing out the dumb lengths people will go to stick it to The Other.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 2, 2017

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

D.N. Nation posted:

I think that blob is supposed to be part of the catcher's mask, honestly.

But yeah, that it's so up for debate is proof positive that Michael Ramirez might not exactly be a master of his craft. Two Pulitzers.

Yeah I thought that it too, but it does make more sense given Ramierez's current stance: Either the message is that the speech was good, or that the speech was passable, but the media is also bad and embarrassed.

You see because they expected him to not hit the ball which is why they weren't ready to catch it and got hit in the face and um... no that doesn't work either.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I guess I just saw this one as different because I have seen actual Trump supporters saying wtf about the steak thing instead of embracing it as Donald owns those lie-beral idiots with one simple trick: burning the poo poo out of meat, whereas the other things are actually a thing that happens.

Conservatives should all start eating their steak well-done in solidarity with their Dear Leader.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

people who care about other people's steak are weird. don't give two beans about steak, or eating an onion like an apple, or ketchup on hotdogs, or rhode island putting sauce on cheese-less breadsticks and calling it party pizza

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
That baseball comic would make more sense if you could see the T-ball stand right in front of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

oddium posted:

people who care about other people's steak are weird. don't give two beans about steak, or eating an onion like an apple, or ketchup on hotdogs, or rhode island putting sauce on cheese-less breadsticks and calling it party pizza

Pizza strips are traditionally made with no cheese (though sometimes a bit of Parmesan cheese is sprinkled on) or toppings and are served at room temperature.

what the hell

• Locked thread