Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

UmOk posted:

Dark Knight Rises is the best comic book movie and Bane is the best comic book movie hero.

It's telling that the TDKR version of Bane has left a definite influence on subsequent depictions of the character, something that the Nolan movies only otherwise achieved, obviously to a much greater extent, with Joker (though I guess the general atmosphere and tone of modern Batman is absolutely filtered through the Nolan lens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Martman posted:

I thought DKR was shockingly mundane and un-bizarre for a lot of it.

The climax of the movie is basically "sometimes... you have to make a leap of faith! Literally!" Like, a guy jumping without a rope supporting him is not exactly the most "comic book" way to present what could have been a really exciting bit of development for Bruce.

While that is A climax, it is not "the" climax. Plus the more important part of the leap of faith is the application of the lesson later on in the film.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

The MSJ posted:

I like that during the Oscars when they show the montage of people around the world saying what 2016 movies they like, 4 teens mention Suicide Squad.

I think some people in this thread need to remember that there are people who like movies that you don't, and vice-versa. It is OK to like Batman v Superman, and it is just as fine to not like it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I really liked the "leap of faith?" More and more as we get into extended universe stuff in cinema I admire the Nolan trilogy for willing to break Batman conventions to keep it a self-contained story, and outright saying that Batman's philosophies on fear were wrong was pretty bold.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The best part of Rises is that if you're ever injured in such a way that a vertebrae has literally pierced your flesh and is protruding out of your back all you need is to get a doctor that's angry and drunk enough to punch it REALLY hard and you're good.

Also going in blind the twist regarding Miranda followed by Bane getting blown away followed by the immediate Road Warrior-esque breakaway of the truck all in rapid succession was a very very awesome poo poo just got real moment. All three Nolan Batman movies are really good.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 2, 2017

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
"You know how to fight 6 men. I will teach you how to engage 600."

Then Batman fights Bane and his crew and RUNS STRAIGHT AT HIM! Never changes tactics and is a godamned moron who deserved to have his back broken. Between that and him and Catwoman punching people while surrounded with a bunch of dudes with guns who never fire are my least favorite moments of TDKR.

The movie needed him to beat the poo poo out of Bane in a mudpit, but they failed on that. :(

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
TDKR wasn't very good

But then i thought TDK was pretty mediocre apart from the Joker as well

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

"You know how to fight 6 men. I will teach you how to engage 600."

Then Batman fights Bane and his crew and RUNS STRAIGHT AT HIM! Never changes tactics and is a godamned moron who deserved to have his back broken. Between that and him and Catwoman punching people while surrounded with a bunch of dudes with guns who never fire are my least favorite moments of TDKR.

The movie needed him to beat the poo poo out of Bane in a mudpit, but they failed on that. :(

The line is that he'll teach him to "lead" 600, not engage. But Batman charging and then getting almost shotgunned is fine. People getting owned or/and clowned on because they didn't mind their surroundings is a recurring thing basically every named character across all three movies suffers from (multiple times in Batman's case).

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Dark Knight Rises is explicitly about Batman never learning a goddamn thing.
"Mind your surroundings" is the first thing Ra's teaches him, with that fight on the ice.
And Bane seems generally surprised that Batman thought he was the kid that escaped from the pit, even though he had told Batman in their first fight he hadn't seen the light of day until he was already a man.

Someone recently said to me the "twist" that Talia was evil didn't really hit, but I don't think it was ever meant to, just another in the list of Batman being stupid.
The unifying theme of the Nolan trilogy, Batman is a big stupid baby.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thruline of Bane being impressed by Batman is really good and pays off when he realizes it was misplaced and Batman is an idiot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thruline of Bane being impressed by Batman is really good and pays off when he realizes it was misplaced and Batman is an idiot.

Bane: So, you came back to die with your city.
Batman: No... I came back to stop you.
Bane: ...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The climax of Dark Knight Rises is "Somedays you just can't get rid of a bomb." It's hilarious.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MrJacobs posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

The line is that he'll teach him to "lead" 600, not engage. But Batman charging and then getting almost shotgunned is fine. People getting owned or/and clowned on because they didn't mind their surroundings is a recurring thing basically every named character across all three movies suffers from (multiple times in Batman's case).
Part of this is because of Keysi Fighting Method, the gimmicky ad-in-Black-Belt-magazine fake martial art they insisted on using.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That has to be part of the joke on how crappy Batman is or who wants to be him. Nolans knew what they were doing incorporating comic book stuff I will say

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Everytime I think of TDKR I remember Nolan during shooting rhapsodizing about it basically being an Occupy Wall Street movie, and that he also heartily likened the movie to all the greatest epics in cinema history.

The poor thing never had a chance to be good.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cvnvcnv posted:

Everytime I think of TDKR I remember Nolan during shooting rhapsodizing about it basically being an Occupy Wall Street movie, and that he also heartily likened the movie to all the greatest epics in cinema history.

The poor thing never had a chance to be good.

haha, the only characters who expressed these kinds of sentiments were the villains, and it turned out it was just a cover for their real motivations. The message of TDKR is that the status quo is fine.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
DRK is probably my fav Batman after Returns.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zzulu posted:

TDKR wasn't very good

Same, and I like most comic book movies too (even the 'Bad' ones).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FabioClone posted:

haha, the only characters who expressed these kinds of sentiments were the villains, and it turned out it was just a cover for their real motivations. The message of TDKR is that the status quo is fine.
Yeah, this is why I want to go back and read the original threads.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i dunno if i'd say tdkr had much of a 'message' involving the occupy movement, it just kinda used ripped-from-the-front-page trappings to tell a story about naive but well-meaning people being duped about what's really going on(which is also basically batman's whole deal in the movie)

that being said the 'now it's everybody's home!' line was awful, just total garbage

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

David S. Goyer wrote almost the exact story for Black Ops 2 which hit around the same year. The villain is the "hero of the 99%" but oh wait his real goal is to nuke a city and people who want to change the status quo are naive sheep.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

Everytime I think of TDKR I remember Nolan ... heartily likened the movie to all the greatest epics in cinema history.

Really?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FabioClone posted:

They became villains when they betrayed the ideals of the cause which permitted the status quo returning to be acceptable. Batman was weak before they revealed their true intentions but after, strong.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The "message" of TDKR re: Occupy, etc. is that disaffected people often look for heroes and are often fooled by demagogues who use rhetoric that appeals to those disaffected people, only to really be manipulating them for their own ends and being the opposite of what they're preaching. And that well meaning liberals can get too much up their own rear end and help hurt society by doing so at the same time.

Bane was all about the "little person" and taking down the "fat cats" and giving the power (bomb) to the "people" while actually being backed by the elite (Talia) who really held the power for her own destructive goals.

Nobody paid attention to that point, though, and then people elected Trump.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

TDKR wasn't very good

That's good since TDK is basically Joker: The Movie.

Darko posted:

The "message" of TDKR re: Occupy, etc. is that disaffected people often look for heroes and are often fooled by demagogues who use rhetoric that appeals to those disaffected people, only to really be manipulating them for their own ends and being the opposite of what they're preaching. And that well meaning liberals can get too much up their own rear end and help hurt society by doing so at the same time.

Bane was all about the "little person" and taking down the "fat cats" and giving the power (bomb) to the "people" while actually being backed by the elite (Talia) who really held the power for her own destructive goals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hIxu4WCmM

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Never meet your heroes, kids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Darko posted:

Fitting, then, that the only answer to the dilemma in DKR is Man of Steel.

In retrospect, my favourite "quiet" scene from these films is in TDK, when Alfred explains that the bandit--who was obviously fed up with his country being ruled by greedy warlords and British imperialists--was of course just an irrational unhinged psychopath.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Fitting, then, that the only answer to the dilemma in DKR is Man of Steel.

In retrospect, my favourite "quiet" scene from these films is in TDK, when Alfred explains that the bandit--who was obviously fed up with his country being ruled by greedy warlords and British imperialists--was of course just an irrational unhinged psychopath.

Its a great scene once you just think about its implication. Like to just take what Alfred says at face value as some kind of paralel with the Joker. But the real attitudes of both himself and batman are revealed once you take into account the history of what alfred is talking about.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SleepCousinDeath posted:

DRK is probably my fav Batman after Returns.

I was fine with the Joker never having to urinate or defecate, having invented the hamburger, and upon his birth having a new star form in the heavens and the seasons spontaneously switch from Winter to Spring. But a double rainbow celebrating his birth? Not My Joker.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 2, 2017

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darko posted:

It's full of very cynical messages like that. You can't trust anyone who speaks out against the system, it's wrong to punish the rich for their crimes, and a billionaire is the only one who can save you by keeping everything the same as it was before.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darko posted:

The tell is that your Trumps type faux populist demagogue promises that HE will solve these problems and stick up for YOU, using the tools of strong man autocracy for the benefit of the weak. The real deal insists, almost to the point of protest, that the real work and power have to come from the bottom and she can't ever be more than a figurehead.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Catwoman weren't in the movie, not to mention the three movie-long subtext of Bruce needing to grow the gently caress up, the reading of DKR being an anti-Occupy Wall Street movie would make any sense, but they are and it doesn't.

The Gotham City of the beginning of Batman Begins and the one at the end of DKR are also very different, both literally and figuratively. Nolan imagines a universe where Batman actually succeeds and doesn't become a grumpy old man surrounded by a fundamentally unchanged city from when he started, unlike pretty much every other Batman story ever.

Bad actors co-opting revolutionary movements goes back a lot further than Occupy Wall Street, and OWS is not by any means a clean fit in DKR or for that message.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
How come there isn't a thread for Logan? I went to see it yesterday and it was surprisingly thoughtful although it had a few plot points which never seemed to go anywhere.
It's a super personal story and having the world just happen around him and Xavier was such an interesting choice.

It's got to be the only trilogy where the first film was poo poo, the second film was okay and the third was really good, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

dont even fink about it posted:

If Catwoman weren't in the movie, not to mention the three movie-long subtext of Bruce needing to grow the gently caress up, the reading of DKR being an anti-Occupy Wall Street movie would make any sense, but they are and it doesn't.

The Gotham City of the beginning of Batman Begins and the one at the end of DKR are also very different, both literally and figuratively. Nolan imagines a universe where Batman actually succeeds and doesn't become a grumpy old man surrounded by a fundamentally unchanged city from when he started, unlike pretty much every other Batman story ever.

Bad actors co-opting revolutionary movements goes back a lot further than Occupy Wall Street, and OWS is not by any means a clean fit in DKR or for that message.

Plenty of other characters speak out against the system but they don't count because reasons

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've just tried watching doctor strange and I've given up, it's so loving boring, got as far as him fighting the villain in the house and realised I just don't give a poo poo.
Maybe i'll finish it another time.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I've just tried watching doctor strange and I've given up, it's so loving boring, got as far as him fighting the villain in the house and realised I just don't give a poo poo.
Maybe i'll finish it another time.

The visuals are pretty and that's about it. Everything else about it is so goddamn boring. The worst part is Benjamin Bratt's all too little screen time.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Jose Oquendo posted:

The visuals are pretty and that's about it. Everything else about it is so goddamn boring. The worst part is Benjamin Bratt's all too little screen time.

I was going to say It's the first marvel movie I've just turned off in disappointment,but I stopped watching the first thor movie about ten minutes in.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I was going to say It's the first marvel movie I've just turned off in disappointment,but I stopped watching the first thor movie about ten minutes in.

Well you totally missed the Thor cameo in the post-credits scene!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Taear posted:

How come there isn't a thread for Logan?

Because you haven't made one yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Really the part that kicked me out of DKR is when after living in a literal hole in the ground for months, fed whatever leavings Bane's forces dropped in, the entire police force was in fighting trim and wearing intact clothes.

• Locked thread