Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Seasons averaging 35+ minutes per game:

code:
Player 		 Seasons
Karl Malone	 16
Jason Kidd	 15
Kobe Bryant	 14
Wilt Chamberlain 14
Elvin Hayes	 14
LeBron James	 14
Hakeem Olajuwon	 14
Oscar Robertson	 14
A testament to LBJs durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Zogo posted:

The correlation this season between WP% and ORB% is .11 (barely significant). The correlation between WP% and DRB% is .02 (no correlation).

Back in 2007 the correlation between WP% and DRB% was in the .5 range (very significant). In 1997 it was even more important at .65

Back in the 1970s both sides of rebounding were important to winning. Then offensive rebounding became less relevant and now in the last twenty years defensive rebounding has followed suit.

Why was there this change?

Did players learn to outlet pass over time? I kind remember in the 90s, announcers talked about fast break points all the time.

Or maybd teams just get better at offense so that getting multiple chances in a possession didn't matter as much?

Or was it your thing about big men not mattering much, thus good teams not concentrating resources on them?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Femur posted:

Why was there this change?

Did players learn to outlet pass over time? I kind remember in the 90s, announcers talked about fast break points all the time.

Or maybd teams just get better at offense so that getting multiple chances in a possession didn't matter as much?

Or was it your thing about big men not mattering much, thus good teams not concentrating resources on them?

Getting back on defense is more important than offensive rebounds. Defensive rebounds im not sure what happened.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Strawberry Panda posted:

Getting back on defense is more important than offensive rebounds. Defensive rebounds im not sure what happened.

The other team started getting back on defense, I'd figure.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
warriors were outrebounded in all their losses :smugdog:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Bashez posted:

The other team started getting back on defense, I'd figure.
lol true

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Zogo posted:

The Warriors and Cavaliers are below average rebounding teams. Meanwhile teams like the Pistons, Nuggets, Hornets, Bulls and Thunder are the elite rebounding teams.

The correlation this season between WP% and ORB% is .11 (barely significant). The correlation between WP% and DRB% is .02 (no correlation).

Back in 2007 the correlation between WP% and DRB% was in the .5 range (very significant). In 1997 it was even more important at .65

Back in the 1970s both sides of rebounding were important to winning. Then offensive rebounding became less relevant and now in the last twenty years defensive rebounding has followed suit.

I agree it may not be as important as it was in the past, but saying rebounding barely matters is insane. Just because two of the best teams to ever play in the NBA, currently happen to be weak at rebounding (while being historically great at every other aspect) doesn't mean rebounding is worthless.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Avery Bradley for DPOY
https://streamable.com/xhumi

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Impressive stuff there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Okafor making a late surge for consideration though

https://streamable.com/bs7nm

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I'm so glad he's back from injury and I can stop bitching about how he's not back from injury.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was a fun NBA season

Looking forward to the draft :)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

There was a possession a minute or so before that where he 1-on-1 guarded Kyrie with a similar intensity except there was a bailout foul call.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

euphronius posted:

That was a fun NBA season

Looking forward to the draft :)

It's so bad that the Sixers won't really know anything about Simmons going into the draft.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Really good team defense after the ball gets kicked out to Lebron, too.

Watching teams that aren't the knicks is so nice :sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Great job on the wide open corner three, Deron

IcePhoenix posted:

Okafor making a late surge for consideration though

https://streamable.com/bs7nm

Even Harden is calling that lazy D

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

quote:

“Is there such a thing as too many three-point attempts in a game?” he was asked on Wednesday morning, hours before his Rockets dominated the Clippers 122-103 at the Staples Center.

D’Antoni, without an ounce of shame in his voice, replied like a man whose team is well on its way to shattering the league’s record for three-point attempts and makes in a single season.

“Well, we’ll see,” said D'Antoni, the former Phoenix Suns mastermind who is enjoying a renaissance with the Rockets after failed stops with the Knicks and Lakers. “You know, I don’t know. It just seems like the more we (take), the better we play. So, so far I don’t think we’ve hit that limit.”

:getin:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I haven't finished my drat analytics season yet

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think there's a real chance the Rockets hit 30 threes in a game this year if they decide to be utterly shameless in a blowout (like they tried to be last night)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

What's the rough theoretical ceiling on 3PA in a game?

75-80?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Rockets are utterly shameless in their jacking and still barely top 50 so I can't imagine a game with 75

I was thinking something in the low to mid 60s

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Eltoasto posted:

What is the timeline for Embiid's injury, did the front office know how bad it was while trading away Noel?

I knew and posted that he was iffy; Pepperidge Farms remembers.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha you have to scroll down to like #46 before you get a solid influx of Chinese guys

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao I just read that George Hill thinks he's a max player and should get $132 mil over 4 years. Yeah right.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

pubic works project posted:

Lmao I just read that George Hill thinks he's a max player and should get $132 mil over 4 years. Yeah right.

Let's wait to laugh until we hear what Teague wants :ohdear:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eltoasto posted:

Let's wait to laugh until we hear what Teague wants :ohdear:

Teague's worth more than Hill though. But yeah... :negative:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure George Hill is better than Jeff Teague.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Pretty sure George Hill and Jeff Teague's agents looked at Mike Conley's contract.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
On a per-minute basis, Hill has definitely been max-y this year. Injuries are real, though, and I wouldn't be excited to give him a lot of money for 4 years.

Jeff Teague is an average starting point guard.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You guys laugh but have we all forgotten last free agency so quickly?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

You guys laugh but have we all forgotten last free agency so quickly?

I think it's reasonable to assume teams will be more conservative this year. not ever team is going to have capspace like they did last year and the cap rise is not as large as previously estimated. Also teams now have a ton of bad contracts on their books to deal with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd go 4/100 ish for Hill

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

I think it's reasonable to assume teams will be more conservative this year. not ever team is going to have capspace like they did last year and the cap rise is not as large as previously estimated. Also teams now have a ton of bad contracts on their books to deal with.

Dirk might take a pay cut and we can all watch the Mavs fail to get their number 1 fa again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

I'd go 4/100 ish for Hill

You'd put 25% of your cap towards George Hill? He's been having a real good year but I would expect for a 30 year old he won't ever play this well again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The PG market is really bad if the all-stars re-sign with their team, and basically all of them are in a situation where they'll get maxes because their teams are capped out.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I think the last offseason reaffirmed that no matter how bad a contract is given out, a decent amount of people will find a way to defend it. Even Noah was getting people defending his contract a little talking about how it's okay because the new CBA will have an amnesty.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It really shouldn't be a tradition in my team that we wait for the next CBA amnesty.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah I thought the CBA would have an amnesty. So yeah whatever.

Noah if he stayed healthy is almost a perfect fit for the triangle.

So I get rolling the dice. But yeah figured there would be an amnesty to bail out bad decisions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

You'd put 25% of your cap towards George Hill? He's been having a real good year but I would expect for a 30 year old he won't ever play this well again.

If you didn't have a pg why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

There are two superstars in the league: LeBron and Curry. Maaayyyybe KD

• Locked thread