Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

AvesPKS posted:

Ha yeah it was not fun. What was fun was finding out where each and every slight incline existed at a light where I'd never noticed them before. And stalling out a bunch. Fortunately I was also borrowing a car and had 2 weeks to practice before I started driving it daily.

Another reason why I like hill start assist.

Hill start assist would be indispensable to New Manual Driver Me. Now I find it kind of annoying but maybe I wouldn't if I was driving around San Francisco or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Wow that's Maaco level orange peel. Did they use single stage paint?

The shop that resprayed mine did a better job than the factory paint imo. Which insurance paid for this again?

There's definitely clear on there because there are a ton of finger smudges in some layer of it! I knew about orange peel issues on the hood(that one pic does a really good hob of showing them!), what you can kind of see in those pics are the stripes from paint application. Those dark side to side lines across the hood are not an issue with your monitor. I'm pretty sure they just did a single lovely layer of paint and called it a day. I actually compared it to a Maaco level job when describing it to my insurance company, who is AAA. They've been great so far. I'm gonna run by the only preferred shop in the KC area that looks like it's worth a drat tomorrow and let them take a look at it. Odds are I go to the shop from today. They do a lot of work on higher end cars and a friend that has a past in body work got some work done on an M3 of his a few years back and liked them.

AvesPKS posted:

It felt more than slight to me, but all I really have to compare it to was my Speed3. It may have also been more attributable to the taller gearing of the manual on the GTI and different expectations in response i.e. having nothing down low but knowing anything above 3k results in instant throttle vs actually having usable power from 2-3k with power building but no real surge.

My other car is an s2000 with a throttle cable and instantaneous response. There's definitely a little lag with the GTI but I find it more than passable. I test drove a Mazda 3 2.5i 6MT and it was significantly worse, pretty close to as bad as my TDI.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Haha, I just thought those stripes and weird lines were the lighting. How does a shop let that poo poo go and not think the owner is going to raise hell? I mean I can understand small stuff like the little ding in my door sill they painted over, but it's something I'll end up covering with a sill plate so who care. But even I can lay down paint better than that in my garage.

At least it's red and not metallic pearl like the grey and black. I'd love to see a metallic paint job that came out of that shop.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Haha, I just thought those stripes and weird lines were the lighting. How does a shop let that poo poo go and not think the owner is going to raise hell? I mean I can understand small stuff like the little ding in my door sill they painted over, but it's something I'll end up covering with a sill plate so who care. But even I can lay down paint better than that in my garage.

At least it's red and not metallic pearl like the grey and black. I'd love to see a metallic paint job that came out of that shop.

Metallics actually can hide paint imperfections somewhat well, but nothing would hide this.

My favorite auto story regarding metallics: A guy owned a "classic" car. I can't remember exactly what, but I think it was a 70's Olds 88. The paint job on this car was the remnants of multiple batches of paint from his buddy, who painted cars. His buddy saved some of the remaining paint from customers and combined them into some sort of light metallic green.

It was impossible to match.

The entire car eventually got resprayed after multiple painters couldn't get it right. I think that was the guys angle originally. He ended up painting it a different color because his friend didn't have stuff approximating the prior color.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't paint shops have computerized scanners that can duplicate just about any color?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

Don't paint shops have computerized scanners that can duplicate just about any color?

Good luck trying to match different paint colors from different brands, with different types of metallic flake.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Good luck trying to match different paint colors from different brands, with different types of metallic flake.

You can get really, really close on most things but it still won't be perfect.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hill start assist would be indispensable to New Manual Driver Me. Now I find it kind of annoying but maybe I wouldn't if I was driving around San Francisco or something.

Even as an experienced manual driver I like it. I've never really found it annoying, but I turned it off for a week or so a while after I got my Fiesta just because so many people complained about it. I can't say I noticed any benefit from having it off, and I realized how often it's nice when I found myself rolling back and having to catch myself.

I'm really happy that Ford makes it something that can be toggled. That way everyone can be happy.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

Even as an experienced manual driver I like it. I've never really found it annoying, but I turned it off for a week or so a while after I got my Fiesta just because so many people complained about it. I can't say I noticed any benefit from having it off, and I realized how often it's nice when I found myself rolling back and having to catch myself.

I'm really happy that Ford makes it something that can be toggled. That way everyone can be happy.

Yeah, you can toggle it on the FoST as well. It's the most minor thing in the world but I can never tell when it's gonna really kick in and I'd rather know exactly what's gonna happen when I take my foot off the brake and try to get going.

Still probably a good feature on the balance but yeah I'm glad I can turn it off.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I turned it off immediately, didn't like it. I'm a crusty grognard and don't like that it exists at all tbh.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

I turned it off immediately, didn't like it. I'm a crusty grognard and don't like that it exists at all tbh.

I've never driven a manual before my RS, so the fact that it exists probably stops me from rolling backwards into the cars that decide to sit 4 inches behind my rear bumper every single day. Be happy you can turn it off but some of us need it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How is that possible? Before hill-holder everyone learned how to drive a fuckin car without it rolling backwards like crazy.

I have hillholder off and I don't roll back because it's really not that hard.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because I picked it up 2 days ago and I still stall out in the middle of intersections on occasion. I'd rather it be there to save my rear end on the off chance I gently caress it up. You can think less of me all you want, but if you're the car behind me, just be glad I have it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've never owned an automatic and don't mind Hill assist at all. I don't even notice it most of the time and it's really easy to disengage by merely touching the gas pedal.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

fknlo posted:

Got a quote from the shop I'm probably going to want my car to go to. $4500. :lol:

They did notice a couple things I hadn't. From the right angle you can tell that they either didn't paint the drivers side door at all or they just did another terrible job of blending it. The light was just right that you could also see the spray lines on the hood!

So bad.

That's so bad. When you first posted I thought it might be fixable with some wetsanding, but this is just insane.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

That's so bad. When you first posted I thought it might be fixable with some wetsanding, but this is just insane.

I think this is what the adjuster from my insurance company was thinking too. Pretty sure the whole front end needs to be repainted now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Did you guys just use the e-brake when you were learning hill starts? I've been learning stick shift on my wife's car that doesn't have hill assist and hill starts make me super nervous.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah at the very beginning. After a day or two you don't really need it. You just have to roll on to the gas or heel-toe a bit while letting the clutch out to its friction point before you release the brake pedal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look at all these poor people who can't afford to live in a boring flat state.

Hills. How silly.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've driven manuals without hill hold for years but I barely notice it (and also don't have an aesthetic objection to it) so I leave it on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Never wound up doing the e-brake thing. Never been on so steep of a hill that I couldn't just transfer from brake to gas quick enough to avoid rolling backwards more than like a couple inches or something.

But I learned in a v flat state so ymmv

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

prom candy posted:

Did you guys just use the e-brake when you were learning hill starts? I've been learning stick shift on my wife's car that doesn't have hill assist and hill starts make me super nervous.

Not just when learning, that's the correct way to do a hill start.

Anyway if you have an electronic parking brake then you kinda need it (still not convinced these are a good idea either)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

Look at all these poor people who can't afford to live in a boring flat state.

Hills. How silly.

True story, living in northern Indiana its like lol what elevation changes? When I was 15 and was learning to drive stick my dad took me to a reservoir boat ramp, backed up so the rear end end of the car was towards the water about 10 feet away, and put the parking break on. He told me to get in the driver's seat and drive up the boat ramp and to not put the car into the water. Nothing will teach you how to balance the throttle and clutch faster than the fear of putting your car into a large body of water.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Or you could just use the handbrake?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm terrible and new at manual so I just use the ebrake on most hills. I've tried cars with hillholders and would really love if my manuals had one but I can see it being less and less useful as I get faster. I still have huge anxiety about hills though because one car is crazy fast with a touchy clutch and the other's ebrake currently isn't attached to both mounts so it doesn't consistently engage or un-engage. The first time I drove a 996TT I stalled backing out, then stalled starting out in 1st, then my next stop was a very steep hill at a light with a guy on my bumper. I roasted all 4 tires to avoid a stall but it was the worst feeling waiting for that light to turn.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

dissss posted:

Not just when learning, that's the correct way to do a hill start.

Anyway if you have an electronic parking brake then you kinda need it (still not convinced these are a good idea either)

Are you from Europe? When watching Youtube videos on how to drive stick it seems like Europeans always do handbrake hill starts, and North Americans hardly ever do. Some guy in YouTube comments from Brazil said if you use the handbrake on your driving test for anything other than parking it's an automatic fail (although that's a youtube comment so who knows if it's true).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FWIW, my car's manual says the proper way to do a hill start is to use the handbrake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

prom candy posted:

Are you from Europe? When watching Youtube videos on how to drive stick it seems like Europeans always do handbrake hill starts, and North Americans hardly ever do. Some guy in YouTube comments from Brazil said if you use the handbrake on your driving test for anything other than parking it's an automatic fail (although that's a youtube comment so who knows if it's true).

New Zealand.

When I took my licensed twenty odd years ago you'd fail the test if you did a hilstart without using the handbrake. Not sure how it relates to modern manual cars with hilstart assist and most people are probably doing their tests in an auto these days anyway.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

FWIW, my car's manual says the proper way to do a hill start is to use the handbrake.

I learned stick on a 67 bug. Back in the old days the gas pedal and throttle were a lot closer, because people couldn't get away with the "oops i hit the gas when i meant to hit the brake" bullshit excuse. Cars now have the brake pedal so much higher than the throttle that you almost have to use the parking brake while learning. The R has the electric brake on it so theres an extra button that lets you turn hill assist on and off right next to the parking brake.

Fun things happen when you hit the parking brake before stopping :) Luckily the only time I've done it was on ice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

prom candy posted:

It was a requirement in driver's ed in VT.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pretty interesting split. My wife says she's never used the handbrake for starts, my cousin said I should definitely use it. I'm gonna try it out anyway, one more tool in the belt doesn't hurt. Maybe I'll actually be good enough at driving stick to test drive some hot hatches soon!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've noticed that fellow Americans have a lot of poor manual trans habits, like holding the car on a hill with the clutch, and leaving the car in gear with clutch depressed when stopped at a light (for example).

So it's not surprising to me, that parking brake hill starts aren't common here. Of course, the US has generally gotten rather torquey options for engines, compared to Europe and elsewhere that may have options with less power even in heavier sedans, where it's not as easy to avoid rolling backwards.

I know in my XRS with no low end torque and a very grabby clutch, using the parking brake is a necessary skill if I don't want to slip the hell out of the clutch on a steep hill. Edit: I have DD'ed a manual for almost 20 years and drive a commercial truck. I had a bmw with hill assist and I loved it. Kind of mind boggling to me that someone would dislike that feature.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 2, 2017

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I dislike hill assists. Have kept them turned off on my WRX and R, since they sometimes kick in on slight inclines and make you jerk the car as you compensate with more throttle unexpectedly.

Drove around SF for years in a manual with no hill assist and never needed to use the parking brake. Is not having enough power to hold the car still when you switch from brake to gas a thing? Never experienced that, but then again I don't drive slow cars.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 2, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I don't even have a working handbrake :unsmigghh:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
If you can't stop on a decent incline in a manual car using only your brakes and the clutch, and then take off again without rolling back less than six inches you really shouldn't be driving one. You get some leeway if you've been driving a manual for less than six months. After six months you should be plenty proficient to take off without using a hill holder or a parking brake.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I usually let the car roll back just a bit if I'm already stopped on an incline just to let people behind me know that I'm driving a manual. Not sure if they even notice.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I usually let the car roll back just a bit if I'm already stopped on an incline just to let people behind me know that I'm driving a manual. Not sure if they even notice.

The best is when they still crawl up your rear end.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds like an invitation to use their bumper to assist your hill start?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm not sure too many people "get" manuals anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

If you can't stop on a decent incline in a manual car using only your brakes and the clutch, and then take off again without rolling back less than six inches you really shouldn't be driving one. You get some leeway if you've been driving a manual for less than six months. After six months you should be plenty proficient to take off without using a hill holder or a parking brake.

:golfclap:

Rolling back *any* is a driving test fail in most of Europe (or so I've heard). It's a skill you should have even if you have manual that is not difficult to modulate.

But I also think you should know how to shift up and down without the clutch (in case of clutch hydraulics failure), but I'm probably not very proficient with a manual in your esteemed opinion.