Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Rahzmataz posted:

What's the general opinion of Bills fans around Tyrod? I find it hard to keep up with the whims of other fanbases lately.

Some people don't like him, but most feel that he's the best option for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

You need a competent veteran who can run the offense while Mariota is out. He's probably going to miss all of spring and time in the summer too. Can you think of anyone better?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diqnol posted:

Mariota gets hurt because of his small frame maybe? Love or hate him Cassel is better than most backups.

He's not, though. I earnestly believe he's as good as like, Cardale Jones. Just draft a rookie late in the draft if you're satisfied with Cassel-level play as a backup.

Rahzmataz posted:

What's the general opinion of Bills fans around Tyrod? I find it hard to keep up with the whims of other fanbases lately.

It was pretty split at the end of the season for some reason, but I think after really letting things settle for a few months, most of the fanbase now wants him back. Still some people who legitimately believe there's no reason to pay a quarterback unless they are likely to be top 5.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

latinotwink1997 posted:

So $15m for the GOAT while Andrew luck gets nearly $25m? That's $10m extra they have for paying other players while still having the GOAT. I don't know how they'd enforce something like that, but it does seem to give an advantage to them.

A stronger union would heavily lean on players to not take these deals. the NFLPA is not a strong union.

Beats the 80's when the NFL paid off the top QB's to union bust.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Kalli posted:

A stronger union would heavily lean on players to not take these deals. the NFLPA is not a strong union.

Even with a lean, it's tough to argue against "I want to stay with the only team I've ever been on, with the only coach I've ever had, on a winning team" regardless of what they offer. I mean, the money saved on Brady's deal went to other players in the NFLPA; if the Patriots were sitting on a boatload of cap space & not spending it, that'd be a different story.

Rahzmataz posted:

The feeling I get is that they'd absolutely love him if he were white, but since he's not he's OK at best despite being the best at the position since Flutie.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Demon Of The Fall posted:

You need a competent veteran who can run the offense while Mariota is out. He's probably going to miss all of spring and time in the summer too. Can you think of anyone better?

Rusty Smith is better than Cassel

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalli posted:

Why not? Their power base, the average NFL player, profits from the top talent taking less money, because it means the broader middle gets more. In the end the amount of money that all players collectively get is fixed anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Metapod posted:

Rusty Smith is better than Cassel
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

latinotwink1997 posted:

So $15m for the GOAT while Andrew luck gets nearly $25m? That's $10m extra they have for paying other players while still having the GOAT. I don't know how they'd enforce something like that, but it does seem to give an advantage to them.

Brady is also like 12 years older than Luck. That's a crazy age disparity in the NFL. In 99% of the circumstances you'd expect the 40 year old to be paid way less than the 28 year old in the NFL no matter how good they were the year before because you'd normally assume their career collapse is imminent. There is kinda no way to legislate against that.

Brady could probably get a 1 year deal for some insane sum from like half the teams in the league, absolutely - but nobody with even half a brain would give him a much longer deal that's also for elite money. Even if he has Favre's literally unprecedented durability he's only got one more top season before he hits the wall.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GaussianCopula posted:

In the end the amount of money that all players collectively get is fixed anyway.

If the NFLPA had a stronger union this would not be the case.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay, I'm an rear end in a top hat and wanted to see if I could name 64 quarterbacks that are legitimately better than Matt Cassel.

Obviously better 27 names
Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Derrick Carr, Trevor Siemian, Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Colin Kaepernick

Still pretty obviously better 11 names (38)
Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Garappolo, Josh McCown, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, AJ McCarron, Nick Foles, Derek Anderson, Charlie Whitehurst

Probably better and more upside 12 names (50)
Mike Glennon, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tom Savage, Paxton Lynch, Cardale Jones, Bryce Petty, Chase Daniel

Probably better 8 names (58)
Luke McCown, Case Keenum, Thad Lewis, Matt McGloin, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton, Colt McCoy, T.J. Yates

Not sure if they're actually better, but I'd still rather have them as a backup 3 names (61)
Jacoby Brissett, Trevone Boykin, Joe Webb

Teddy Bridgewater? 1 name (62)
Teddy Bridgewater

About Matt Cassel Tier
Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, Bruce Gradowski, Ryan Mallett, Kellen Clemens, Scott Tolzien, Landry Jones, Dan Orlovsky, Josh Johnson

So, I guess there's a case for top 64, but there are so many cheaper options out there that are at least as good!

(Also, of course, I'm sure I missed promising third stringers on teams I don't follow, who I would likely also prefer over Matt Cassel.)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

drat are you low on Bort

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Raiders fans are going to be pissed about the "About Matt Cassel" tier. And the rest of us will continue to wonder why.

I say this as an avowed Matt Cassel hater by the way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Vollmer to be released by the Patriots.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/report-patriots-will-release-sebastian-vollmer/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fsif posted:

Okay, I'm an rear end in a top hat and wanted to see if I could name 64 quarterbacks that are legitimately better than Matt Cassel.

Drew Brees just got pissed off and he doesn't know why.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

fsif posted:

Obviously better 27 names
Tom Brady, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Tannehill, Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Andrew Luck, Alex Smith, Derrick Carr, Trevor Siemian, Philip Rivers, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Kirk Cousins, Carson Wentz, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer, Colin Kaepernick

Still pretty obviously better 11 names (38)
Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mark Sanchez, Jimmy Garappolo, Josh McCown, Chad Henne, Matt Moore, AJ McCarron, Nick Foles, Derek Anderson, Charlie Whitehurst

Probably better and more upside 12 names (50)
Mike Glennon, Cody Kessler, Matt Barkley, Blake Bortles, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Tom Savage, Paxton Lynch, Cardale Jones, Bryce Petty, Chase Daniel

Probably better 8 names (58)
Luke McCown, Case Keenum, Thad Lewis, Matt McGloin, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton, Colt McCoy, T.J. Yates

Not sure if they're actually better, but I'd still rather have them as a backup 3 names (61)
Jacoby Brissett, Trevone Boykin, Joe Webb

Teddy Bridgewater? 1 name (62)
Teddy Bridgewater

About Matt Cassel Tier
Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden, Bruce Gradowski, Ryan Mallett, Kellen Clemens, Scott Tolzien, Landry Jones, Dan Orlovsky, Josh Johnson

So, I guess there's a case for top 64, but there are so many cheaper options out there that are at least as good!

(Also, of course, I'm sure I missed promising third stringers on teams I don't follow, who I would likely also prefer over Matt Cassel.)

And then a few tiers below there's Osweiler

latinotwink1997 posted:

There's no reason to enforce something like that. If a player wants to take less money it should be his right, just as it's his right to leave the team for more money

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Why are the Saints trading their best playmaker?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

So they're just going full firesale now?

Granted, Vollmer became less of a concern once Marcus Cannon started playing well, but still...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/837384153385615361

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I despise Matt Cassell but if you think Mark Sanchez is better you need to get your head examined.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

So they're just going full firesale now?

Getting an early start on the :siren: LOST SEASON :siren: talk, eh?

This is the kind of move the Patriots make every year. He's 32 and has a substantial injury history, so they're not paying him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ulmont posted:

Drew Brees just got pissed off and he doesn't know why.

Oops, add another number to that list!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Getting an early start on the :siren: LOST SEASON :siren: talk, eh?

This is the kind of move the Patriots make every year. He's 32 and has a substantial injury history, so they're not paying him.

This move doesn't bother me nearly as much as letting Donta Hightower hit the open market. Hell, they supposedly got rid of Jones and Collins so they could pay him.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

This move doesn't bother me nearly as much as letting Donta Hightower hit the open market. Hell, they supposedly got rid of Jones and Collins so they could pay him.

They might not like their odds on Hightower and like their odds on Bennett.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They might not like their odds on Hightower and like their odds on Bennett.

Really? I'd think Bennett would have offers pouring in from every TE-starved team out there. Even with Hightower not getting tagged I'd put his odds at returning higher than Bennett's.

Which sucks, because Marty was amazing and Gronkowski is too busy deadlifting train cars to stay healthy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

This won't end well.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

sean10mm posted:

Ha ha the joke is Brady is gay, how droll.

Fruit spotted

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

latinotwink1997 posted:

Its almost as if the Israelites who run the NFL have conspired with Robert Kraft to allow his team to run roughshod over the league, cheating in any way they feel like.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Really? I'd think Bennett would have offers pouring in from every TE-starved team out there. Even with Hightower not getting tagged I'd put his odds at returning higher than Bennett's.

Which sucks, because Marty was amazing and Gronkowski is too busy deadlifting train cars to stay healthy.

Bennett is almost 100% gone, so yeah. He's openly said he wants a big payday.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

oldskool posted:

The feeling I get is that they'd absolutely love him if he were white, but since he's not he's OK at best despite being the best at the position since Flutie.

:rolleyes:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Bennett is almost 100% gone, so yeah. He's openly said he wants a big payday.

How's the draft look for TE prospects?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

How's the draft look for TE prospects?

I think there's multiple strong prospects, one or two that might be first-rounders but unlikely to drop to the Patriots unless they actually trade Jimmy G for a first.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I mostly keep hearing this draft is super deep for TEs, CBs and safeties

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DNS posted:

Fruit spotted

Nah, it's not spotted, my fruit is fresh. :quagmire:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trade tom brady to the browns for first overall or the niners for second over all, plus gary barnidge or vance mcdonald, plus some extra picks. Superbowl 2017 with Jimmy Garoppolo

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Intruder posted:

And then a few tiers below there's Osweiler

There's no reason to enforce something like that. If a player wants to take less money it should be his right, just as it's his right to leave the team for more money

Yea, but like everyone except Pats fans, I'm tired of every other SB being the Pats, and being able to make deals like this only perpetuates the dynasty. It'd be nice to see more variability in teams.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Brb just going to go barf

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/837355041157701632

e: unless they mean as a backup I guess.
That would be less dumb than some of the things they could do. But it would still be really dumb unless they see him as a back-up.
Also, I can't believe we actually got a draft pick out of the Cowboys for Matt Cassel. This is your reminder that Matt Cassel lost the back-up job to E.J. Manuel.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

latinotwink1997 posted:

Yea, but like everyone except Pats fans, I'm tired of every other SB being the Pats, and being able to make deals like this only perpetuates the dynasty. It'd be nice to see more variability in teams.

I got tired of seeing the Spurs in the loving Finals, that doesn't mean Duncan should have been forced to be paid what he's worth if winning is more important to him

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
One day when Brady is traded, it's gonna be the super trade of a lifetime. The Patriots just constantly trade off good players and let players walk for compensatory picks. In 2020 when Brady is traded to the Browns, Bellichick will end up with picks #1-#10 in the first round and will win the Super Bowl with the ridiculous Super Team. And then he'll have a bomb attached to himself on the podium as Gooddell is handing him his 10th Super Bowl trophy.

He'll smile at the camera.

And then the feed goes black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Intruder posted:

I got tired of seeing the Spurs in the loving Finals, that doesn't mean Duncan should have been forced to be paid what he's worth if winning is more important to him

The Patriots pay him outside of the salary cap. He's not getting less money than Andrew Luck because winning is more important to him than it is to Luck, he's doing it because he and the Patriots are getting away with fraud.

• Locked thread