Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

fadam posted:

I love the art in The Wasp so much. I just wish I didn't find the writing so obnoxious :(

Read The Infinite Loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rhyno posted:

They are implying that he's now going to be the son of Ego in the comics as well as the film.

Ego, as in Ego the Living Planet?

How the gently caress?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cabbit posted:

Ego, as in Ego the Living Planet?

How the gently caress?

volcanos, if I had to guess

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Clearly it should become canon that Ego lives a double life as Ego, The Living Planet and beloved actor, Kurt Russell. It will be revealed that the last thing Walt Disney ever said was that he knew who Kurt really was.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well you know guys with big egos are making up for tiny shortcomings.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Art Adams cover for next week's Stever Rogers

:swoon:

edit: The signature lets you know it's an homage to this:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 2, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

It's also the same guy that's writing the really great Black Widow that is ending soon. :saddowns:

The difference is that those are people in their Thirties, which is less "now" and something feeling less inauthentic coming from the mind of a mid-Fifties guy than writing teenagers. Of course Twenty- and Thirtysomethings judging the authenticity of fictional teenagers might be a lot of pot calling the kettle black.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember a lot of people getting extremely angry at the video game Life Is Strange for having teenagers act and talk like teenagers.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
belated to the star-husband discussion, but you know what it sounds like when you complain about marvel changing aspects of characters, right

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

I remember a lot of people getting extremely angry at the video game Life Is Strange for having teenagers act and talk like teenagers.

These people were hella dumb though.

LiS would have been my GOTY 2015 if there weren't the little game called Witcher 3.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I do volunteer work with a lot of teenagers and I've never heard anyone use the phrase "tasty plasma" before.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Art Adams cover for next week's Stever Rogers

:swoon:

What is this, the 90s? Even Cap's motorcycle has pouches!

(Super rad cover)

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Human Torch low-key thicc

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It just hit me but is that nazi trying to hit Namor with a M24? That does not seem like a good idea.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It just hit me but is that nazi trying to hit Namor with a M24? That does not seem like a good idea.

You run out of good ideas real quick when some slippery Spock-rear end dude with wings on his feets pops out of the ocean and starts tearing apart your GIANT ROCKET SHELLS with his bare hands.

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
LiS's teen talk is miles ahead of Champions because it isn't boring as gently caress

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

LiS's teen talk is miles ahead of Champions because it isn't boring as gently caress

I'll give Champion's dialogue one thing, it makes me want Marvel to make a Blue Beetle/Booster Gold dynamic buddy book starring Spider-Man and Nova.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so there's a one-page preview ad for a upcoming boom series at the back of brave chef brianna and, well... it looks like there's a bit of an easter egg??

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Waid's still doing goo teenagers at Archie. I think it's just that the man has good ideas he can't deliver on from time to time, like his Hulk run.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gonna have some duds in your career eventually.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

Gonna have some duds in your career eventually.

He wrote a bunch of X-Men comics that tied in with the Onslaught storyline 20 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mark Waid is a usually A List writer but he has turned out some lovely comics during his time as a pro writer.

His Deadpool mini.
The last year of his second run on Captain America.
His Kazar run had potential but quickly became a pointless mess.
His run on JLA (the regular book) is a goddamned nightmare.
The Kingdom is widely hated by anyone who breathes oxygen.
Gatecrasher was not good.
He was 50/50 on his Crossgen work. Ruse = good, Sigil = BAD
Hunter Killer was garbage from the first issue.
He wrote a bunch of Farscape comics but it was as if he'd never watched the series. He couldn't get a handle on a single character's voice or personality.
Everything he wrote at BOOM other than Irredeemable.
He also did a bunch of comics clearly for the paycheck like Ash and Painkiller Jane.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked the Queen of Fables story he did in JLA.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked the Queen of Fables story he did in JLA.

Eh, it's okay I guess. Tower of Babel is horrible and just fed the fire of NOBODY CAN BEAT BATMAN that people latch onto.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Mark Waid is a usually A List writer but he has turned out some lovely comics during his time as a pro writer.

Everything he wrote at BOOM other than Irredeemable.

Actually Incorruptible was better than Irredeemable. The Traveler was real good too, though nobody read it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

Actually Incorruptible was better than Irredeemable.

This comment shines with the piercing light of Truth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Actually Incorruptible was better than Irredeemable. The Traveler was real good too, though nobody read it.

I'll give you the first one but I thought the Traveler was pretty bad. And it still doesn't balance out the 30 or 40 weird mini series he wrote that were garbage YES STEED AND PEEL I AM LOOKING AT YOU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Eh, it's okay I guess. Tower of Babel is horrible and just fed the fire of NOBODY CAN BEAT BATMAN that people latch onto.

I think Tower of Babel is fine. It was a novel enough concept at the time and I don't think it's Waid's fault what it led to.

I also liked Heaven's Ladder (regret never having owned it in the tabloid-size release it got or whatever it was).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

X-O posted:

Irredeemable is the Supermanish guy and incorruptible is his villain who gets tougher the longer he is awake right? The former had an OK start and some interesting story beats but the latter was definitely way better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nevvy Z posted:

Irredeemable is the Supermanish guy and incorruptible is his villain who gets tougher the longer he is awake right? The former had an OK start and some interesting story beats but the latter was definitely way better.

That's correct yes. They were both really good but Irredeemable was like the event/team comic that drove the narrative and Incorruptible was more a character study on a guy that was really bad and tried as much as could to make up for it. When Irredeemable ended I thought it was a good ending to a good story. When Incorruptible ended I was sad because I really wanted to read more with that character. To me that made it the better book.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So in other news, Gavok somehow got a cosmic cube.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Bendis do that in Mighty Avengers?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Not really.

e: holy poo poo that's Poison from What If? The Other in the back right

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's also Venom: The Madness up front.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't Bendis do that in Mighty Avengers?
Yes he did, except I remember it was happening almost in the background and nobody really paid attention. It was like a crossover to an event that wasn't actually coming out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So looking at that dug up a deep memory of a series from the 90s called Venom: The Hunted that involved a ton of symbiotes running around and there was like one guy who had like 8 symbiotes or something crazy. When i jumped back in last year there was flash space knight around so i know there's a planet of symbiotes that are peaceful and stuff, but i was wondering what was up with that whole 90s storyline, how it ended etc if anybody remembers.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Wheat Loaf posted:

He wrote a bunch of X-Men comics that tied in with the Onslaught storyline 20 years ago.

Whaaaaaat

20 years ago....I mean, I've been reading comics for a long time but the realization that it's been more than 20 years is quite a thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Whaaaaaat

20 years ago....I mean, I've been reading comics for a long time but the realization that it's been more than 20 years is quite a thing.

Yeah, about 20. I think Onslaught was 1996-1997.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also liked Heaven's Ladder (regret never having owned it in the tabloid-size release it got or whatever it was).

I got mine autographed. That large format really makes the story larger than life, like the opening scene in Half Baked. I'd also recommend Justice For All and Captain America: Bicentennial Battles. Also, Superman/Spider-Man, and the Star Wars treasury edition deserve to be mentioned.

Venomverse sounds awesome. I don't have Gavok's dedication, but I love me some crazy Venom stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Two Venom-Wolverines in that picture. Someone knows what they're doing.

• Locked thread