Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like selling real estate.

Except it's a lot easier to unload a house, at worst there's someone who will buy it cheap to do a teardown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Subjunctive posted:

I took a 75% comp cut to move from the Bay Area back to Toronto. I don't regret it at all.

E: more, actually. hmm!

Isn't Toronto real estate approaching SF Bay/Vancouver craziness?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My parents started doing the time share hustle back when I was in middle school. They've probably sat through 6-7 time share presentations through their lives, ultimately saying no to the time share but saying yes to buying a deeply discounted trip somewhere where they sit through another time share pitch, continuing the cycle.

I worry that one of these days they'll actually buy the timeshare. :ohdear:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

majestic12 posted:

Isn't Toronto real estate approaching SF Bay/Vancouver craziness?

Close, but not quite.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

My parents started doing the time share hustle back when I was in middle school. They've probably sat through 6-7 time share presentations through their lives, ultimately saying no to the time share but saying yes to buying a deeply discounted trip somewhere where they sit through another time share pitch, continuing the cycle.

I worry that one of these days they'll actually buy the timeshare. :ohdear:

I've never sat through a time share presentation. Just how hard of a hard sell is it?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never sat through a time share presentation. Just how hard of a hard sell is it?
Enough that they continue to take people on cheap vacations in exchange for giving it.

I've always wondered how they enforce decorum, is it just social norms or is there a contract involved? Do you have to pay a large amount and only get it refunded if you sit through the thing and behave? I'll never attend one of these, but man, I'd toe the line so hard. Fake cough and sneeze and poo poo without covering my mouth, making everyone else feel uncomfortable, ask awful questions, etc. I'm guessing they've thought about all this though and have it on lock.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 3, 2017

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I sat through one on my honeymoon to get a $65 discount off a helicopter ride. We watched a half hour video begging us to have an open mind before we got started and then we probably sat with an agent for an hour or so as he showed us pictures of all the places they were associated with. I imagine it depends on the salesman, this was clearly a guy doing this as a job with zero intention of making a sale so he didn't push us hard at all. It just ended up taking 2 hours overall, I guess it was worth it? I wouldn't do it again though haha.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FateFree posted:

I sat through one on my honeymoon to get a $65 discount off a helicopter ride. We watched a half hour video begging us to have an open mind before we got started and then we probably sat with an agent for an hour or so as he showed us pictures of all the places they were associated with. I imagine it depends on the salesman, this was clearly a guy doing this as a job with zero intention of making a sale so he didn't push us hard at all. It just ended up taking 2 hours overall, I guess it was worth it? I wouldn't do it again though haha.

Two people for two hours to save $65? That's $16.25/Hr.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

On their honeymoon. That could have been spent drinking in a hot tub followed by public sex in a changing room.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Solice Kirsk posted:

I sat through one or two back when I was younger and I remember them trying super hard to sell it, going down to a fraction of the original ask, with the presentations taking ~3 hours or so.

FateFree posted:

FrozenVent posted:

Two people for two hours to save $65? That's $16.25/Hr.

Yeah $65 sounds like a terrible deal. I remember one time my parents got 3 or 4 nights in a 2 bedroom condo in Orlando for ~$500, which seemed like a decent tradeoff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's keeping you from just standing up and walking out of the meeting? I'm assuming you have to pay everything upfront if you leave right? Thats how they keep you in the chair?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I went to one when I was a student with my then gf where they promised us plane tickets from Bellingham to Disneyland just to sit through the presentation. We were determined to just sit there a few hours then get the tickets and go but at the end of the presentation it was actually very tempting to sign up. We really felt like we would be missing out on a great opportunity that would pass if we didn't sign that afternoon.

Luckily we went together with the same intention so we were able to rely on each other to stick to the plan, but if I had gone alone or with someone that already wanted a timeshare I probably would have been trapped.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

On their honeymoon. That could have been spent drinking in a hot tub followed by public sex in a changing room.

Recall that these are BFC goons we're talking about.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's keeping you from just standing up and walking out of the meeting? I'm assuming you have to pay everything upfront if you leave right? Thats how they keep you in the chair?

My parents sat through one in the 90s in exchange for Disney World tickets for four and a weekend motel room. You didn't get the vouchers for any of it until the end of the presentation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I went to Cabo once. Of course, like any sane human being, I stayed in an apartment complex six minutes walk from the beach that was cheap enough our next-door neighbors were out-of-town construction workers there on a job. But everyone who looks white enough gets stopped at the airport by people trying to get you to promise to go to some resort for their timeshare presentations. These touts get paid per head, not with a salary, so they want everyone to go, including people who they know for a fact will never buy a timeshare. The one who talked to me said, listen, if you're up for it, you can get a free brunch, but you'll have to tell them you spend way more for your vacations than you actually do, or they won't pay us.

I thought it was an excellent backup sales strategy. Or at least "please pretend you're actually a lead and help me scam timeshare-sellers" was a pitch that worked on me personally. I got the brunch (not that great naturally), took the tour (maybe 20 minutes), laughed off the sales pitch (maybe another 20), then stayed the rest of the day on the resort's private beach. Maybe not the best overall use of my time, especially since you can bluff your way into most resorts , but way easier and less high-pressure than I was led to expect.

There was no deposit that I remember, they were holding out the promise of my choice of activity coupons.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah $65 sounds like a terrible deal. I remember one time my parents got 3 or 4 nights in a 2 bedroom condo in Orlando for ~$500, which seemed like a decent tradeoff.

I don't know, it might have been reducing the ride down to $65 from something else. We were both getting bummed out by how expensive Hawaii was that it sounded like a good idea at the time. Also we got free snacks soo, factor that in.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FateFree posted:

I don't know, it might have been reducing the ride down to $65 from something else. We were both getting bummed out by how expensive Hawaii was that it sounded like a good idea at the time. Also we got free snacks soo, factor that in.

This is the saddest humblebrag ever :smith:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

I went to Cabo once. Of course, like any sane human being, I stayed in an apartment complex six minutes walk from the beach that was cheap enough our next-door neighbors were out-of-town construction workers there on a job. But everyone who looks white enough gets stopped at the airport by people trying to get you to promise to go to some resort for their timeshare presentations. These touts get paid per head, not with a salary, so they want everyone to go, including people who they know for a fact will never buy a timeshare. The one who talked to me said, listen, if you're up for it, you can get a free brunch, but you'll have to tell them you spend way more for your vacations than you actually do, or they won't pay us.

I thought it was an excellent backup sales strategy. Or at least "please pretend you're actually a lead and help me scam timeshare-sellers" was a pitch that worked on me personally. I got the brunch (not that great naturally), took the tour (maybe 20 minutes), laughed off the sales pitch (maybe another 20), then stayed the rest of the day on the resort's private beach. Maybe not the best overall use of my time, especially since you can bluff your way into most resorts , but way easier and less high-pressure than I was led to expect.

There was no deposit that I remember, they were holding out the promise of my choice of activity coupons.

Activity coupons and brunch is kind of what happened to my husband and I. We booked the bulk of our honeymoon travel and lodgings through a travel company and they offered a presentation the morning after we arrived with the promise of breakfast and some chintzy tote bag. We're like whatever, free breakfast and maybe they have activities we didn't think of or we'll find a discount on something we already intended to do.

So we get there and we are the youngest couple by DECADES. Proceed to have scrambled eggs delivered from the buffet while politely listening to no poo poo, the lamer version of literally everything we had already planned. My husband then insists on staying another 10 minutes after to redeem this coupon for a plasticized tote bag we could have got from Target for 99 cents. He wanted that bag, man.

I just busted his balls over it and he insists it fits all the games we take to friends houses perfectly. I'm looking at it right now.

E:

H110Hawk posted:

Only this thread can pass judgement on the bag. Get to posting.

lol here you go

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 3, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I just busted his balls over it and he insists it fits all the games we take to friends houses perfectly. I'm looking at it right now.

Only this thread can pass judgement on the bag. Get to posting.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

We did the free 3 day vacation for a timeshare presentation thing and then my parents got suckered into buying one so after that every single time we went on a trip it started with "ok lets plan our route so we can stay at hotels that are a member of the timeshare network" :sigh:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I remember getting steeply discounted trips to some hotel as a kid where they had a sweet arcade for you to play at while your parents sat through 2 hours of timeshare pitch. I think we took the trip 4 times until when the person said let me show you to the arcade, I said no thanks I've been here before I know where it is. We never went back to that hotel.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My wife and I got suckered into a presentation but got the last laugh. We were Peace Corps volunteers in the Dominican Republic and took a few day break from our impoverished backwater to stay at a resort. It was one of the cheapest all inclusives but still quite nice. I guess they make it cheap by hawking their memberships/timeshares to guests. Some slick talking guy with a golf cart was like, "let me give you a little tour of the grounds and a welcome gift while they get your room ready."

Next thing we know we're in some sales floor and have been handed off to another guy who is talking up their packages.

He notices that we speak Dominican-flavored Spanish and soon learns that we are living in a god forsaken corner of the country that even locals don't really visit. Then he learns that we make a measly few pesos a monthand live in a shack without electricity. You could see the switches suddenly flip in his head as he realized that there was zero chamce we'd ever buy anything. He was kind of irritated with the initial guy for luring us in there in the first place. It was over in about 5 minutes.

Fortunately Dominicans are laid back, so he laughed it off and we got our complimentary bottle of herb infused rum and were on our way to gorge at the buffet.

Peace Corps GWM was emptying the mini fridge of Presidente beers every day and stuffing them in our backpack to drink on the bus ride back to shitsville. (Also getting the resort deal ultra cheap last minute without any included flight).

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure my grandparents had at least one timeshare that got passed down when they passed away. I remember going to Las Vegas or Laughlin for vacations, because my grandparents loved gambling. But since its a shitball timeshare, we'd always be down in the summer. Las Vegas is a hellhole that smells like piss, but at least there are things to do if you are a teenager. We got stuck in Laughlin for a week once, near the end of it, my cousins and I were ready to set the place on fire just for something to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

NancyPants posted:

I just busted his balls over it and he insists it fits all the games we take to friends houses perfectly.

Well? Does it?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Well? Does it?

Yup. He loves it.

Bad With Money - Bag Reviews ITT

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 3, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

NancyPants posted:

Yup. He loves it.

I don't see Settlers of Catan or Illuminati in that bag. :colbert:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Yup. He loves it.

Bad With Board Games

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

George H.W. oval office posted:

Bad With Board Games

It's always so jarring when two of the threads you read avidly collide.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NancyPants posted:

Yup. He loves it.

Get him a blue Ikea bag and better games.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just found out that my cousin has a new phone number because they had their phone repossessed and Verizon thought that they were too risky for a $30 a month phone plan based on their credit check.

I don't know how bad your report has to be for that to happen.

In bonus BWM fashion, their facebook post announcing this was complaining about having to pay $10 for a phone from Wal-Mart when all of their previous phones, including their iPhone 6 (the same one that was repossessed), were "free."

I didn't even know that wireless retailers would try to recover phones.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I just found out that my cousin has a new phone number because they had their phone repossessed and Verizon thought that they were too risky for a $30 a month phone plan based on their credit check.

I don't know how bad your report has to be for that to happen.

In bonus BWM fashion, their facebook post announcing this was complaining about having to pay $10 for a phone from Wal-Mart when all of their previous phones, including their iPhone 6 (the same one that was repossessed), were "free."

I didn't even know that wireless retailers would try to recover phones.

Yeah it seems strange that they are able (logistically, not legally) recover small items that don't have a title. Repossessing a car is hard enough and with a jet ski or a motorcycle good luck finding it, but a phone could be up thier butt for all you know. I don't doubt the GPS can play a role but still, you can't go behind a locked gate to get a car and if the motorcycle is in a garage it is as good as chaining it to a 400lb concrete block.

therobit fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 3, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

Yeah it seems strange that they arw able (logistically, not legally) recover small items that don't have a title. Repossessing a car is hard enough and with a jet ski or a motorcycle good luck finding it, but a phone could be up thier butt for all you know. I don't doubt the GPS cannplay a role but still, you can't go behind a locked gate to get a car and if the motorcycle is in a garage it is as good as chaining it to a 400lb concrete block.

Easy, someone comes in to complain about their phone not working, they hand it across the desk to the clerk and then its gone. They aren't going to send a person to get it of course, but if someone gets a text from verizon to come to the store to work out their bill, they'll do all the work for you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

NancyPants posted:

Yup. He loves it.

3/5 for fit, 1/5 for game selection.

Sever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Rick and Morty game is fun, but Munchkin is trash game design and the Exploding Kittens is just monkeycheese.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CitizenKain posted:

Easy, someone comes in to complain about their phone not working, they hand it across the desk to the clerk and then its gone. They aren't going to send a person to get it of course, but if someone gets a text from verizon to come to the store to work out their bill, they'll do all the work for you.

Assuming that they don't just immediately try to sell it before (or after) the IMEI gets blacklisted as stolen.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Exploding Kittens is just monkeycheese.

Very true, but sometimes that's all you can get people to play. Either I'm Bad With Friends, or it's impossible to get people to sit and learn Dominion or Pandemic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Sundae posted:

Very true, but sometimes that's all you can get people to play. Either I'm Bad With Friends, or it's impossible to get people to sit and learn Dominion or Pandemic.

Pandemic is trash because one guy "solves" it and quarterbacks the poo poo out of everybody's turns. I only played the version from 2010 though so maybe (hopefully?) they revised it.

People get freaked out by all the text on Dominion for sure. Best way to teach people is literally just hand them their 10 card hand and say "go". I've never seen someone take more than 3 hands to figure it out.

Dominion is fun. I want to play Dominion now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sundae posted:

It sounds like they don't like board games then and you guys should maybe figure out an activity you can all enjoy equally.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Rick and Morty game is fun, but Munchkin is trash game design and the Exploding Kittens is just monkeycheese.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pandemic is trash because one guy "solves" it and quarterbacks the poo poo out of everybody's turns. I only played the version from 2010 though so maybe (hopefully?) they revised it.

Not that I think any of these games are the greatest game ever, but man people who play board/card games a lot really hate board/card games somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Nail Rat posted:

Not that I think any of these games are the greatest game ever, but man people who play board/card games a lot really hate board/card games somehow.

Yeah, Pandemic is a good fun game just let everybody do what they want even if it's not optimal and enjoy losing.

• Locked thread