Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DapperDon posted:

Do you want to tell us where the bad video game touched you?

For most people, in their wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Meridian posted:

Remastered Homeworld collection is tempting since I never played the original. Also anyone have thoughts on GalCiv 3 and Master of Orion?

Remastered does not use the original, homeworld 1 physics based projectile system. Its RNG chance to hit and damage so it does not play exactly the same and more like your usual RTS. This has been patched since release. It now use the original, "projectiles are physics objects" system, allowing you to pull delicious physics shenanigan with mass drivers armed ships and greatly increase your scout and fighters survival if you micromanage them carefully.

You can Skip Moo1. It was very good for its time, but now tamagochi from the dollar store have more processing power that the PC it was designed for.

Moo2 is a classic that aged quite nicely. Like Alpha Centauri it need to be played by any 4X lover.

Moo3 is a special case. Some people like it, some people cant stand it. One of the complaint about Moo2 was that you had to micromanage nearly everything, one planet or fleet at a time, so past a certain point (say, 20+ systems) the game turned into a chore, making large map game boring past the first half.

They adressed this in Moo3, but went overboard, allowing you to automate nearly everything and making the scale so large that you need to use the automated system to get anywhere. You dont go to a shipyard and say "produce this ship model this turn", you instead go to your system governor, set priority to ship production via rules and look as all the shipyards in the sector begin spewing dozens of fighters that instantly set ahead to the rally point you designed. Some people want that in a 4X, other people complained the game could "play itself" once you put in a few basic rules and did not like it.

I did not have the time to play Moo4 yet.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

DapperDon posted:

I remember that story. The Case of the Fuzzy Modem.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like this part from this:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15765-Anvil-Hurricane-Q-A

quote:

DISCLAIMER
Remember: we are offering this pledge ship to help fund Star Citizen’s development. The funding generated by sales such as this is what allows us to include deeper, non-combat oriented features in the Star Citizen world. Concept ships will be available for in-game credits in the final universe, and they are not required to start the game.

Additionally, please note that all decorative ‘flare’ items will also be available to acquire in the finished game world. Also, while the Hurricane will be entering the ship pipeline now, it will ultimately be released after other concept ships have been completed. The goal is to make additional ships available that give players a different experience rather than a particular advantage when the persistent universe launches.

I know the only way they sleep at night is on a bed of money, but come on.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

But I thought they already launched the PU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
The disclaimer is longer that the entire description of some of the ships.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Meridian posted:

Hello space friends. Just dropping in to let you know Humble store currently has a sale for space games going on.

Might be some good stuff in there.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/space-week/

One of the games in that list was made by goons (aside from stellaris). Star Ruler is one of the best 4x games I have played. Limitless ship design and a way to setup interstellar logistics. The company died out because they were like 5-7 guys and were terrible at marketing.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/star-ruler

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
VENDING MACHINES IN PORT OLISAR EMIT LIGHT BUT ARE NOT LIT UP

ACTUAL RESULT
Vending machines are clearly emitting light however the texture(s) on the front are not lit.

EXPECTED RESULT
Front face/sign texture should be lit (as if from behind)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

ACTUAL RESULT
Vending machines are clearly emitting light however the texture(s) on the front are not lit.

EXPECTED RESULT

I hope they put their top men on that

As soon as he finds that perky missing seat ....

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm pretty sure every ship that was sold after Ben said not every ship would be in the game at release has either been released or has been promised to be.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

I hope they put their top men on that

As soon as he finds that perky missing seat ....

Vending machines represent the only emergent gameplay ever demonstrated in Star Citizen so they are absolutely a priority.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg28knQouFk

"trust me, you're not fine"

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They did something nice and they didn't have to. There's plenty of reasons to give CIG poo poo, but this isn't one of them.

Agreed.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Disco at Spectrum right now: "ATV is exporting now. After that, we have to upload to YT, then wait for YT to process the video. Looking at about 60-90 minutes, I'd guess. Episode is about 50 minutes long."

every goddamn week. Yea blame youtube you daft gently caress.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AP posted:

ACTUAL RESULT

EXPECTED RESULT

This is the kind of crap they should show on Bugsmashers on how to fix lighting on a vending machine.

But remember, they hired the guy that took the leaked Golden Horizons map assets (the first iteration of Star Marine made by Illfonic) and improved all the lighting before scrapping the mess. So maybe he will be tasked with this egregious flaw.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Disco at Spectrum right now: "ATV is exporting now. After that, we have to upload to YT, then wait for YT to process the video. Looking at about 60-90 minutes, I'd guess. Episode is about 50 minutes long."

Competency is not one of their core competencies.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Always enjoy the fact they are filmed a week ago or so. They need to get the video production pipeline straightened out. Speaking of which, is Money still there?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Chris Roberts Facts
Classic
thread
Yesterday at 2:57 am
Chris Roberts doesn't work with what he has, he makes everything works to what he wants.

Chris Roberts hasn't to work with Cryengine, he has made Cryengine work for him. (c) Teem1985

Chris Roberts is coding so hard, bugs get crushed immediately.

Chris Roberts has a keyboard without a backspace key because he doesn't make any mistakes.

Chris Roberts doesn't build a game, he builds a universe.

Chris Roberts refers to himself in the fourth person.

Chris Roberts doesn't have good aim, his joystick just knows better than to miss.

Chris Roberts doesn't turn the lights on, he turns the dark off.

Chris Roberts can delete the Recycling Bin.

Chris Roberts doesn't wear a watch. He decides what time it is.

Chris Roberts is always right - the only time he was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake.

Chris Roberts tells Simon what to do.

Chris Roberts coded his own DNA.

Chris Roberts multiplied by zero still equals Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts doesn't have Lifetime Insurance, Lifetime Insurance got Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts has a diary. It's called the Guinness Book of World Records.

...be free to continue

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Anyway the answer to the ~Guess the Whale~ challenge waaaas:

:siren: d. Agent_Mothman :siren:

Pm me boat girl to get the Broken Age download code for your Ouya

I don't own a Ouya, friend. So you can roll another one or let's !raffle it off!

I think in the spirit of Star Citizen: The Thread, you should give it to the next person who joins the thread who got a refund. :) (and happens to own a Ouya)

Or whatever you like!

necroid
May 14, 2009

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Chris Roberts Facts
Classic
thread
Chris Roberts doesn't work with what he has, he makes everything works to what he wants.

Chris Roberts hasn't to work with Cryengine, he has made Cryengine work for him. (c) Teem1985

Chris Roberts is coding so hard, bugs get crushed immediately.

Chris Roberts has a keyboard without a backspace key because he doesn't make any mistakes.

Chris Roberts doesn't build a game, he builds a universe.

Chris Roberts refers to himself in the fourth person.

Chris Roberts doesn't have good aim, his joystick just knows better than to miss.

Chris Roberts doesn't turn the lights on, he turns the dark off.

Chris Roberts can delete the Recycling Bin.

Chris Roberts doesn't wear a watch. He decides what time it is.

Chris Roberts is always right - the only time he was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake.

Chris Roberts tells Simon what to do.

Chris Roberts coded his own DNA.

Chris Roberts multiplied by zero still equals Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts doesn't have Lifetime Insurance, Lifetime Insurance got Chris Roberts.

Chris Roberts has a diary. It's called the Guinness Book of World Records.

...be free to continue

lol is this real? it'd be hilarious if it was chris roberts himself posting that thread

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sabreseven posted:

So basically for example, if say I ever catch an cancer or bad aids, I should give Crobblers money so he can gently caress me up the arse and laugh in my face while spending my money during my last breaths?

Does sound like one of his ideas tbh.

Do you live in Ancient Egypt? What good will riches do you in the grave? Might as well contribute to make a game that will change the world so that your life wasn't a complete waste of resources and manpower.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

cigtanic ritual abuse

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Samizdata posted:

This doesn't involve group activities with crystals does it? Because, if so, I am going to need a few more drinks first.

Bro, if you wear your crystal we can do things together. But you need to send pics of you wearing your crystal. It's a very bro thing to do, bro. They will glow as the excitement increases.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sabreseven posted:

You've been to a dark part of the internet. :ohdear:

Oh found this little snippet from 2014? I think:

Crobblers like a oval office said:
"I know some people are afraid of “feature creep” and the game never being finished as we keep adding functionality and content to the mix with increased funding. I would say that this would be fair criticism if we were delivering this game at retail and on disc. However, we are online and already pushing out builds, well before Star Citizen reaches what anyone would consider a “finished” stage. Just because we haven’t implemented a planned feature or built a certain asset yet doesn’t prevent us from sharing the game with everyone right now."

Haha. Yes, this is the exact definition of feature creep. Because it's not on disc there can be no feature creep.

Serious question :

Is there any way at all somebody or a group of somebodies can convince Chris Roberts to write a game development book?

Stroke his ego, let him know he's literally a genius and it's his duty to share his expert-level knowledge with the unwashed masses.

Please guys. If we can get this book, I would buy Star Citizen for it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Roberts Space Industries: "Delivering the Stars since 2075"

Only 58 more years of game development to go..

At least we know their estimated release date!

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

On Prototyping aircraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-cfy-k_8ew&t=3214s

Basically you can get a design generally for any system that works at ~80% of desired performance for ~20% of the cost of a system where you get 100% of desired performance.

But skunkworks doesn't understand basic design principles of course.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AP posted:

ACTUAL RESULT

EXPECTED RESULT

Ah! The new dynamic cargo is in before 3.0. They should feel blessed.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Anyway the answer to the ~Guess the Whale~ challenge waaaas:

:siren: d. Agent_Mothman :siren:

Pm me boat girl to get the Broken Age download code for your Ouya

I was going for Taka due to the sheer smugness and self-righteousness in that post. But then again, Mr. Mothman is about the same, I truly can't tell one from the other.

So I guess I fail at obsessively hating the bad video game. At the same time, I succeed in narrowing down the list of suspects, so the FYAD guys can take me to internet jail now.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MilesK posted:

The promise has been made.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pastpresentfuture/reviews/

"This is my review for this game. Don't buy it, buy Star Citizen instead!"

THESE GAMES ARE poo poo, BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

Thanks, I won't.

*Flies around in his Cobra in Elite: Dangerous while actually discovering new planets and trading and mining and helping my faction win a war while also killing space pirates and gearing up for a potential war against an alien race*

God drat inch-deep games! :argh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

I was going for Taka due to the sheer smugness and self-righteousness in that post. But then again, Mr. Mothman is about the same, I truly can't tell one from the other.

So I guess I fail at obsessively hating the bad video game. At the same time, I succeed in narrowing down the list of suspects, so the FYAD guys can take me to internet jail now.

Probably a Taka alt.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Eternator injection confirmed for 3.0. Praise the Stimperor

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

Eternator injection confirmed for 3.0. Praise the Stimperor

Amazing character creation options during AtV. It's almost like some other space game showed what they were up to a week or so ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Chris Roberts Facts
Classic
thread

...be free to continue

Hahahaha that Chuck Norris guy is funny!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Predicting AtV is getting too easy.

from discord:

quote:

I imagine they will want this episode to be a longform advertisement for the hurricane so something related to that.
longform hurricane advertisement. I bet you nailed it.
I bet it's going to be ship pipeline part 2 showing how they made the Hurricane
maybe something about character creation / customisation

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

MilesK posted:

For a company employing hundreds of scammers "developers", they could only get three people to sign it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Brownhat posted:

For a company employing hundreds of scammers "developers", they could only get three people to sign it?

I like the fact it looks weathered and beat up. Probably was a mudflap on a Porsche.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I like the fact it looks weathered and beat up. Probably was a mudflap on a Porsche.

It was probably under one of the fighter plane desk legs at CIG.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Colostomy Bag posted:

It survived a hate beating from head of marketing. good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
Plus i hope he got a refund