Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HazCat posted:

Even worse if it's a UK company, because then they have no excuse not to be aware of consumer laws involved. They just straight up tried to break the law over $40.

Again, any initial response to a refund request that even implies you can't get your money back is super scummy. Giving in and refunding once it becomes apparent your customer knows their rights doesn't get you any brownie points, because it means if they didn't, you'd be happy to exploit them.

Like I said, we don't know what the initial response said. I'm withholding judgment until I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Huh? Achtung! Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3e, and Thunderbirds Boardgame all arrived right on time for me.

Really? Mutant Chronicles 3E hit a bunch of delays from what I recall, to the point that they extended the time frame on the book subscriptions they offered at least once and I think maybe twice. I mean, they're definitely delivering and at this point most of the books are done, so I have no complaints, but I wouldn't call that "right on time".

HazCat
May 4, 2009

fr0id posted:

Like I said, we don't know what the initial response said. I'm withholding judgment until I see it.

That's cool of you to do. I'm not doing the same because this:

PST posted:

I suspect that their desperation not to give me a refund is because of worrying about the floodgates opening, but in denying it they're amusingly opening themselves up to actual legal problems because the UK/EU has consumer law that actually protects the consumer.

quote:

Edit: And amusingly 30 or so minutes after more people were asking about refunds and how to get them I was suddenly refunded and my pledge cancelled.

Is plenty for me personally to feel comfortable judging them. PST asked for a refund for a product they had failed to receive, and was denied it. I don't care what the specific wording of the denial was, because it obviously wasn't "yes, you can have the refund you are legally entitled to".

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

grassy gnoll posted:

Like, the thing's gonna come out, and they've been working on it since the funding campaign ended, but it's gonna be really late. Some people hate this, some people don't care.

I didn't hate that it was late, I hated that they repeatedly lied (and are still doing so).

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

fr0id posted:

Edit: I asked for a refund through their customer service system and then posted on the kickstarter that I was doing so:

quote:

We’ve worked hard despite a catalogue of issues - both personal problems, delays and approvals issues and when we missed the February deadline we gave everyone $40 worth of extra pdf’s - which almost doubled the value of your total pledge (which is £40). We’ve constantly been in touch about development and have delivered most of the core book in PDF which is the format you chose as your reward. As a result we could not refund you as you have actually been in receipt of part of your order, and it would be unfair on other backers. If we had not delivered updates, ignored backers and not delivered any product then according to Kickstarter terms and conditions if we cannot deliver the product then we should give refunds.

We have committed the Kickstarter funds to full time staff, to writers wages, artists fees, project management, we’ve guaranteed the print runs for the entire set of 20 books with the printer in order to avoid big price rises in paper costs thanks to brexit. As a result we’re not sitting on a fat pile of cash, we’ll likely not make money on the project until it goes in to retail since we’ve had price rises on artwork (we pay in $’s) and in shipping costs (about 20% now including last year) which we’re not passing on to backers plus extra wages covering the longer period of work. If we undertook to provide refunds we would have to start cancelling books to pay for it, which would not be acceptable to other backers. In addition those same Kickstarter Terms and Condition require us to deliver the product, giving refunds stops us from being able to deliver all the promised Stretch Goals. Many kickstarter ignore their backers and deliver late, we do everything we can to make up for delays and give us as much information as possible. We have given a bonus which was not required and have put an enormous effort in to finding additional staff to speed up the process, this will take time to show results but is partly contributing to the confidence in the end of March deadline.

I hope you can see it from our position and understand the issues we face.

Edit: I replied that It's not my problem, i'm entitled to a refund and I want one within a reasonable timespan, that they're bound by UK law on it and that I'd had enough - I pointed out all the reasons why.

quote:

We had actually thought all of wave 3 would be done by the end of 2017 at the time. I would say we’ll have delivered all of wave 2 by then (given the actual size of the team we have now working on it). Wave 3 would certainly be advanced but to be fair I’d say that would be Spring 2018.

We have had to contend with long illnesses on our side, as well as CB suddenly revealing they didn’t tell us about content for a chapter that has been written (several times) meaning we’ve had to start again, and of course simply not understanding what is in their mind about the world and so requiring re-writes. Whilst all the writing on the rules were complete and much of the initial content it ended up going through many many more iterations until CB were happy in a lot of instances.

I think you’ll find that there are clear cut instances of kickstarters not delivering making refunds, but where the projects are actively delivering the goods to customers not so. As you have already downloaded the PDF’s over the course of several months and had access to your order is it fair to expect a refund? We’re not trying to screw you over here, just to treat all backers in the same way. If we instituted refunds it would mean we couldn’t actually deliver the promised stretch goals - it simply wouldn’t be possible, and as a result we would be breaking the Terms & Conditions of Kickstarter. If you were in my position what would you do faced with the requirements to complete the project?

I'd asked for a refund, again they're not giving it and are trying to talk me out if it. I pointed out the law, and that I was prepared to go to small claims court if need be. They didn't reply to that and it was then only once people on the kickstarter comments started talking about refunds the next day after my post that they refunded me.

No email to me, just the kickstarter refund.

In the space of about 6 weeks their 'wave 3 by the end of the year' has become 'spring 2018, though that's not been communicated to backers. They've moved dates over and over and I just hit my limit for it with the bullshit, so I did what I was legally entitled to do - get a loving refund.

PST fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 2, 2017

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!

cyberia posted:

What do people think about Satanic Panic?

Satanic Panic is a tabletop roleplaying game set in the fictional 1970’s and 1980’s where players take on the role of secret government agents tasked with combating the evils of tabletop. The players work as a team with the common purpose to contain, control, and eliminate the threats to our world. They must do all this while keeping the truth from the public, lest a panic ensue.

I've backed because I am fascinated by that part of 1980s culture and hope it is worth my $25.

I don't know, At first I thought it was going to be all OW THE EDGE but the more I look at it, it just looks like someone making a slightly fun setting for their game. I want to reserve judgement for it until I see a ruleset though. Going to pledge and hope they have a playtest.

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, any love for that sweet sweet robin hood action (from the guys that did Baker Street)?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fearlightgames/hood-swashbuckling-adventures-in-sherwood/description

Druggeddwarf fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 2, 2017

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

PST posted:

[Modiphius denying a refund because they gave you a gift certificate.]

Okay, yeah, I can see how that's shady. I get them thinking that they've partially given you items already, but those aren't things that you actually pledged for. They could argue for giving you back a partial refund, but the value of a bunch of unfinished chapters is probably like 1 dollar out of the total pledge. So they should have just sucked it up right away and given the refund. Strange that they'd act that way, since they've been good at customer service otherwise from what I've seen. Sorry to doubt you, I just prefer direct quotes rather than paraphrasing about disputes like this.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

fr0id posted:

Okay, yeah, I can see how that's shady. I get them thinking that they've partially given you items already, but those aren't things that you actually pledged for. They could argue for giving you back a partial refund, but the value of a bunch of unfinished chapters is probably like 1 dollar out of the total pledge. So they should have just sucked it up right away and given the refund. Strange that they'd act that way, since they've been good at customer service otherwise from what I've seen. Sorry to doubt you, I just prefer direct quotes rather than paraphrasing about disputes like this.

A) I'd not downloaded any of the chapters along the way, nor did I use the coupon they sent out (even given I only received one).

B) The UK Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 mean that it's not until after you've received the actual product that the 'timer' starts on how long you have to get a refund, before then you're entitled at any time.

For me the reasons for getting the refund were:

A) I'd read that they'd already denied them to other people (I believe in the US) and I knew they couldn't get away with it in the UK. Denying refunds on a 15 month late project is just lovely.

B) I knew they were lying about how long it would take to get 18 books that need to be approved by CB released. Not 'hopeful for' just outright lying.

C) Chris' behaviour through the kickstarter has been dismissive of complaints throughout. He didn't apologise in his emails to me, just threw a bunch of bullshit (It's not a with profits fund, so the other backers have nothing to do with me getting a refund or not).

Ohh, i forgot he also tried telling me that if I stayed in until the end of march and they didn't release, that he'd refund me and leave my pledge intact. Problem is he'd already lost me as a customer, I now have a very poor view of Modiphius, one which has been worsening throughout the campaign.

PST fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 2, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

malkav11 posted:

Really? Mutant Chronicles 3E hit a bunch of delays from what I recall, to the point that they extended the time frame on the book subscriptions they offered at least once and I think maybe twice. I mean, they're definitely delivering and at this point most of the books are done, so I have no complaints, but I wouldn't call that "right on time".

Not from what I saw. In fact, Dark Eden is going to the printer right now and they've kept updating and releasing beta versions of the line the whole time so everybody knew where they were in the process. It's been great.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not from what I saw. In fact, Dark Eden is going to the printer right now and they've kept updating and releasing beta versions of the line the whole time so everybody knew where they were in the process. It's been great.

Mutant Chronicles Due date was July/Aug 2014 for PDF/Print

They weren't shipped in PDF or Print until September 2015...

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Druggeddwarf posted:

EDIT: Oh almost forgot, any love for that sweet sweet robin hood action (from the guys that did Baker Street)?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fearlightgames/hood-swashbuckling-adventures-in-sherwood/description

Huh, that looks pretty cool. I liked Baker Street quite a bit and I'm a sucker for anything Robin Hood.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

PST posted:

Spring 2018

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Modiphius is consistently behind release dates. That's one of the reasons I decided not to back anything else of theirs after the MC kickstarter.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Modiphius is consistently behind release dates. That's one of the reasons I decided not to back anything else of theirs after the MC kickstarter.

I've never minded kickstarters being a year or so late even without much communication--I mean back when I used to occasionally pre-order RPG books that was basically the norm. When it gets past one year I get more antsy and start making inquiries and the responses to those affect my confidence a lot more.

Of course, the only Modiphius-related kickstarter I backed was Conan and that's doing reasonably well. Dealing with them after retail is achieved has also been pretty painless, but that's when they just have to slap a label on something and ship it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

Huh? I never noticed. Guess I can be patient.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

PST posted:

Yeah. And the PDF Subscription (which I purchased) specified all books as they are released in 2014 and 2015. Since they didn't release anything at all in 2014 and only barely made 2015, it would not have been worth much if they hadn't extended it.

Mind you, like I say, I don't really care about delays. But they definitely were there.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Looks like we've got another contender coming up for "not-Far West". At least one disgruntled FW backer is posting links to it in the kickstarter comments page (where GMS recently tried to play the victim card and claim that everyone was big meanies for going through the attorney general rather than contact him for a refund; of course people who *did* contact him were told he wasn't issuing refunds).

https://brokenrulergames.net/high-plains-samurai/hpsrehearsal/

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course he's not issuing refunds, that would require him to still have any money and the fact that he wasn't able to keep an artist tells me he blew all that money on other stuff ages ago. Probably paid himself the lion's share of it for his subpar layout work and writing.

It's what I would do if I were a mildly famous writer drunk on his own ego.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Desiden posted:

Looks like we've got another contender coming up for "not-Far West". At least one disgruntled FW backer is posting links to it in the kickstarter comments page (where GMS recently tried to play the victim card and claim that everyone was big meanies for going through the attorney general rather than contact him for a refund; of course people who *did* contact him were told he wasn't issuing refunds).

This is probably a lot more work and effort than has gone into Far West so far.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hell, that description alone has more stuff in it than Far West did, which was mainly just "there are martial arts and steampunk science".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Desiden posted:

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to rip off a game that looked like it is never coming out and the customers are mad and probably still somewhat want something like they put their money down on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm scrolling through the free PDF here and there while at work, and this is already better than FW even at a cursory glance. Character creation looks like "pick where you're from, get a benefit from that; pick your Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven archetype, that gives you your code of honor and an ability.

quote:

Hunan
Unless you happen to live in Grandfather’s house or are one of his Watchdogs, your fate lies
under the warlord’s boot. Life in these streets is harsh and its people live under constant threat of
beatings, torture, poverty, and even slavery. Those who go on to make something of themselves
do so by escaping this once prosperous community and taking their chances out in the world.

Yung Zhi
Living in Yung Zhi does not grant a long life, regardless of your social status. Either you toil
in poverty and die in the slum that is the Shell or you die in a gunfight or brawl in the Pearl’s
voracious nightclubs. Those who show the most strength and ruthlessness make it to relative
safety within the gangs’ upper echelons until someone stronger and more ruthless makes a move
to take you out.

Monsoon
Buried deep within the jungle canopy exists the harmonious City of Monsoon, its people
conscripted into a life of honour and glorious battle at great personal sacrifice. This is what lies
on the surface and only those who live here know dark times have consumed their way of life.
Avoiding the General’s random accusations requires a commitment to both traditions while
keeping a keen eye on those who can be sacrificed so that others can live long enough to survive
the General’s next mission.

Khar’tep
Precariously balanced on the top of the world, the barbarians of Khar’tep have enough troubles
without Chaos’ aftermath tainting their way of life. This rugged mountainscape is not meant for
the weak-willed and that is why these barbarians feel they have been chosen to live here. Every
day is a battle, whether it is against the frigid temperature, limited air, or one’s neighbors. Never
assume peace between the tribes spells an end to the bloodshed.

The Wastes
Stories tell of mutilated nomads not only surviving in the wild desserts of the Wastes, but thriving
as a people. While thriving may not be the proper term, those called Outcasts have found a way
to make ends meet using any means necessary. Their direct exposure to Chaos’ energies have
granted many, if not all, incredible qi powers scarring them for life. No one said living out here
was easy.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
We'll all be eating humble pie once the far west pdfs drop at the end of the month.
I'm sorry, next month. His computer pooped again.
Oh jeez, another health crisis? Well, at least he's got something to show us like
huh, I wonder if he forgot to send out

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gareth said he was going to release "something" in "the coming week".

That was 5 days ago.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Evil Mastermind posted:

Gareth said he was going to release "something" in "the coming week".

That was 5 days ago.

I think you'll find that a week has 7 days :smug:
There's no way in gently caress he'll release anything

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Matthew Byers, also known as “Fez Sinister” has been terrorizing gamers since 1981 with his unique brand of storytelling. He is a collector of fezzes and is a villainous game master extraordinaire. One day he woke up and realized that in his career as a game master he has killed hundreds of player characters but that he would never be able to kill thousands of characters unless he created his own game. And so Graveyard of Heroes was born.

e:

quote:

Can my character die in character creation?
Sadly, no.

Last updated: Tue, February 21 2017 11:23 PM EST

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's been doing this since the 80s, which literally explains everything.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Why bother even having a detailed race or character creation system? Just have people roll on random tables to generate characters faster! In fact, why have players? We can just create a series of RNGs for a GM to sit in front of and watch people die. I mean, it lacks the smugness of pulling somebody's character sheet out of their hands, but you've got thousands of characters to kill off! Time to implement your therbligs and really do what RPGs are all about, producing a numbers machine to eliminate imaginary names.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If the character can't die in character creation, I am forced to assume that this guy isn't committed to his concept. :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I bet I've killed more characters with better stories in an evening of Gloom than that guy kills in a decade. :smug:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What is it with grogs and defining at least 50% of their personality through hats?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theironjef posted:

What is it with grogs and defining at least 50% of their personality through hats?

It's easier to just go and buy a prop than it is to grow a personality.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Look, as the Ushanka GM™, I can attest how a hat reflects your m-waves back into your head, improving your GMing capacity by 233%.

but my head is so hot, so hot, ugh, so very hot

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Empires of the Void II, from Red Raven Games/Ryan Laukat (Above and Below, Islebound, Eight-Minute Empires, City of Iron, etc.) just hit KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/953146955/empires-of-the-void-ii?ref=category_newest

There is one pledge - $60 for 1 copy of Empires of the Void II, Deluxe Edition. No other tiers, which is kinda refreshing. The Deluxe Version (which will be $80 at conventions only outside of KS) just has metal coins, a Making Of book, and some 30mm miniature (I don't know what it does). Retail price for the standard version (sans metal coins, book, miniature) will be $60.

I know nothing about this one. I'm definitely backing Near and Far when it comes up but I'll have to take a look at this. I like Laukat's stuff typically.
Having read the rules this seems a bit simple and bland. What am I missing?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's easier to just go and buy a prop than it is to grow a personality.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think simple and bland has described basically all the Ryan Laukat games that I've played. They look pretty, though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Why bother even having a detailed race or character creation system? Just have people roll on random tables to generate characters faster! In fact, why have players? We can just create a series of RNGs for a GM to sit in front of and watch people die. I mean, it lacks the smugness of pulling somebody's character sheet out of their hands, but you've got thousands of characters to kill off! Time to implement your therbligs and really do what RPGs are all about, producing a numbers machine to eliminate imaginary names.

Pitch it to level99: A board game based on being a DM who has to kill the most characters while not alienating their player base.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Mojo Jojo posted:

Possibly nothing, I'm not backing it. I like Ryan Laukat generally but this didn't grab me enough to get it over other things I want more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LordAba posted:

Pitch it to level99: A board game based on being a DM who has to kill the most characters while not alienating their player base.

Keep the L99 anime theme and art and we've got ourselves a Death Note boardgame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004
This is maybe only tangentially related to kickstarters, but I finally got my copy of Gloomhaven last week and I'm a little overwhelmed in terms of figuring out how to store everything. It's my first game of this order of magnitude; what do people tend to use to store all the little pieces? Right now I've got a lot of things in ziplock bags, but I'm not sure that's quite ideal. I'd also like to sleeve up the most commonly used decks, which I've never done for a boardgame before. Are there particular brands of sleeves for the mini-cards that people would recommend?