Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

The worst effect the anti-semitism furore in Labour had was that it allowed the people who only two years ago were basically saying "look at the Jew and how he's different, you shouldn't vote for him" have been able to recreate themselves as the Only Defenders of the Jewish Minority.

yeah the fact that milliband had to eat a bacon sandwich to prove he wasn't that jewish was ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I think the demographic that practices the jewish religion is too diverse to make any sort of judgement like that - they have the same proportion of idiots as the rest of the population

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard that his house has two kitchens.

These kosher types stealing spare kitchens from hard working Christians just so they don't get any meat in their dairy. Couldn't make it up.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

jabby posted:

Explains why their share of the vote actually went down. I'm sure the split of the vote by a new independent candidate had nothing to do with the result.

Their vote went down relative to the May 2016 locals.

The Tories only got 17% of the vote in the ward in 2014, for example. They then shot up like a rocket in the 2016 locals.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Trickjaw posted:

Why do the racists who pop up on QT invariably dress up like colour blind clowns?

They don't see colour innit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
Hypocrisy is, to the surprise of none of us, endemic.

Lord Tebbit relied on EU workers:https://twitter.com/makyjanka/status/837042329466859524

Even in an age of austerity, aid works. We have to keep giving -
David Cameron

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I'm saying they may not have found Shami Chakrabarti's report very convincing.

So they voted for the people who are more likely to be overtly anti-Semitic? Rather than the secret anti-Semites?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean they might still be knobheads even if they're Jewish, they might just like voting for tories.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I mean they might still be knobheads even if they're Jewish, they might just like voting for tories.
It's not an unknown thing in traditionalist religious family groupings.
They could have the older pro-business social conservative South Asian vote sewn up if they stopped being racist dicks for a moment.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

OwlFancier posted:

in the midst of all of the discussion about the improper conflation of anti-zionism and anti-semitism, has everyone forgotten that your average jewish person is probably not any more well informed than anyone else, and probably thus not really keen on the distinction?

"Israel bad" is controversial among the non-Jewish public. Do we expect it to sit well with Jewish people just because they're Jewish?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever known a tory voter I wouldn't describe as a knobhead, even entirely separately from their voting habits.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I'm going to wear my red pants tomorrow thanks to this thread.

Haters gonna hate.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 3, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

So they voted for the people who are more likely to be overtly anti-Semitic? Rather than the secret anti-Semites?

Or they voted for neither whereas in the past they would have voted for Labour.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Tbh we are like other religions where you have your ultra-religious people, the people who go to a weekly service, and then you have the huge block of people who will turn up at the synagogue for major religious things twice a year if we can be bothered. Last two groups care far far more about what's happening in the UK than they do about Israel.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

hakimashou posted:

I'm going to wear my red pants tomorrow thanks to this thread.

Haters gonna hate.

I wore red pants yesterday, but no one could tell because they were under my trousers. :colbert:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39140434/freddo-chocolate-bar-price-increases-to-30p-causing-outrage-online

This is bad for Corbyn

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Idea for the Corbyn relaunch: "Make Freddos 10p Again"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Baron Corbyn posted:

Idea for the Corbyn relaunch: "Make Freddos 10p Again"

Probably even get flaps' vote with that kind of policy!

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

Probably even get flaps' vote with that kind of policy!

No, Pissflaps principles are more important than some quick vote-grabbing.

Almost like some leader of the Labour party we all know.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/03/labour-party-lost-members-mid-2016

quote:

Labour has lost nearly 26,000 members since last summer, according to leaked data.

The apparent shedding of card-carrying supporters has led one former chairman of the parliamentary Labour party (PLP) to warn the “tide is turning”.

More than three-quarters of those to leave the party last year had joined after the 2015 general election, a period that saw membership grow rapidly under Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership.

Figures reported by the Times showed the number of resignations in 2016 was more than the previous six years combined, while more than 15,465 have left since mid-December.

Up to 7,000 members are said to have resigned last month following Corbyn’s three-line whip on MPs commanding them to support the triggering of Article 50.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at snapchat i'm sure its going to end well

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Jose posted:

lol at snapchat i'm sure its going to end well
having actual business models and profits is passé these days don't you know?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LemonDrizzle posted:

having actual business models and profits is passé these days don't you know?

clearly since they got $28 billion lol. wonder if the tech or carbon bubbles will burst first

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've ever known a tory voter I wouldn't describe as a knobhead, even entirely separately from their voting habits.

You never met my gran. Then again, she started voting Tory in the 30s because the alternative was Bolshevik Labour and stopped in the 70s because she didn't think Thatcher and her ilk were real Tories.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Wait, when did we start taking council by-elections seriously again? I missed the memo.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

mfcrocker posted:

Wait, when did we start taking council by-elections seriously again? I missed the memo.

It's taken seriously when Labour loses.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Nobody's talked about it for hours and the only person to give it much thought was a CDFer desperately attempting to mitigate the loss.

There is, however, one person wha thinks they're worth talking about.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Mar 3, 2017

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jedit posted:

You never met my gran. Then again, she started voting Tory in the 30s because the alternative was Bolshevik Labour and stopped in the 70s because she didn't think Thatcher and her ilk were real Tories.

I suppose actual conservatism (as in not changing things too quickly, maintaining the status quo) isn't inherently disagreeable. Can see why she thought the neoliberal party that they turned into is bad. Tories bad.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I only posted about it to make a joke about the Kersal Massive. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/lukemartin_dl/status/837634618891304960

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

winegums posted:

I suppose actual conservatism (as in not changing things too quickly, maintaining the status quo) isn't inherently disagreeable. Can see why she thought the neoliberal party that they turned into is bad. Tories bad.

Few political systems are really objectionable so long as the leaders know that they represent everyone and not just the monied classes. Removing that sense of noblesse oblige is what Thatcher did to gently caress everything.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

mfcrocker posted:

They aren't important in isolation but the patterns they show can tell you lots of things.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Nobody's talked about it for hours and the only person to give it much thought was a CDFer desperately attempting to mitigate the loss. about[/url].

Who reads SA outside of work hours? :shrug:

Zalakwe posted:

They aren't important in isolation but the patterns they show can tell you lots of things.

Bollocks, there's almost always local factors that just make no sense to extrapolate to the national picture. Like here with the independent vote split.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tell that to Jeremy.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

Tell that to Jeremy.

Not defending that, who the gently caress cares about a parish council election holy poo poo cmon Jezza

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837642116239093761

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
A sad day for expert Pointless players and pursuers of a 32 county antiglobalist Republic alike.

e: updated answer list (may be invalid by the end of the day)

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 3, 2017

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

mfcrocker posted:

Bollocks, there's almost always local factors that just make no sense to extrapolate to the national picture. Like here with the independent vote split.

How many local campaigns have you been involved in? I have been involved in a lot and trust me when I say people will be picking GE targets using local by-election data and they are right to. Ever a cursory look at what has happened since Christmas shows a pattern. Must be some number of local issues to be causing 20% plus Lib Dem swings half way across the country, it's almost as if a national issue is at play.

Stick your fingers in your ears if you like, there are lots of other indicators that show how terribly Labour are doing currently. What's interesting is actually where the Tories are doing badly, they will be worried about Cornwall.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

How many local campaigns have you been involved in? I have been involved in a lot and trust me when I say people will be picking GE targets using local by-election data and they are right to. Ever a cursory look at what's happens since Christmas shows a pattern

Must be some number of local issues to be causing 20% plus Lib Dem swings half way across the country, it's almost as if a national issue is at play. Stick your fingers in your ears if you like, there are lots of other indicators that show how terribly Labour are doing currently. What's interesting is actually where the Tories are doing badly, they will be worried about Cornwall.

This is the thing, Labour made a net gain of seats in England at the last election (lost some of course but gained more) and lost loads in Scotland but to the SNP, not the Tories. The Tories went from largest party in a coalition to a majority government because of the collapse of the Lib Dems (27 seats went from Lib Dem to Tory).

So the glorious #libdemfightback is a potential problem for the Tories and might even be good for Corbyn.

• Locked thread