Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Mike_V posted:

Why the gently caress are they banning outfield markers? Who cares. Is it because positioning players cuts down on offense?

Manfred hates shifts and wanted to ban them all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This is insanely cool

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

Sure they've known about it, but having his own team post how illegal it is in graphic detail is an impressive move on their part.

I highly doubt that this was the first time his delivery was ever shown in slow motion. And his delivery was explicitly approved by MLB until now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inspector_666 posted:

I highly doubt that this was the first time his delivery was ever shown in slow motion. And his delivery was explicitly approved by MLB until now.

He'd been challenged before in the minors though. Same thing needs to happen with Urias "pick off".

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I've seen the usual in-game replays of it, but nothing that close, that slow, from side on. I don't watch Marlins games though so maybe they've focused on it more.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Jason Heyward "New Swing" Spring Training Statistics:

0/8, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 2 K, .000/.111/.000

E: now 0/11 after this afternoon's game

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 2, 2017

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Edit: nvm

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CubsWoo posted:

Getting rid of all the bad swings in spring training is a pretty veteran move.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
He still hasn't recovered from being nailed in the face, has he?

Grishka
Jun 4, 2010

With the mic in my hands
I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands
I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man

Saw this guy and a few others when they were in Savannah when the Sand Gnats still existed. Very cool guy. Out of the Sand Gnats I've mostly followed him and John Mora, who had the best walkup music on the team.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

Yeah but that speech during the rain delay tho

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

Yeah. Just about everybody kicks some divots into the outfield grass while they're out there and if it's too loose a rule your going to end up penalizing guys who do it when they're bored along with guys who have a divot for every guy in the batting order.
That's not how these markers work btw. Teams mark a reference point for each of the 3 OF positions and then shift left/right/in/out some amount relative to that for each player/situation.

Popete posted:

He'd been challenged before in the minors though. Same thing needs to happen with Urias "pick off".
Urias' move is legal and good and it will haunt you for the next decade.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 3, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

It's just stunning to me how the Cubs whiffed this badly on him, when other teams didn't want anything to do with him because they knew he had a hole in his swing.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Your Taint posted:

It's just stunning to me how the Cubs whiffed this badly on him, when other teams didn't want anything to do with him because they knew he had a hole in his swing.

The gently caress? Hayward was increadibly highly regarded by a ton of teams and got a huge amount of offers. This is some of the craziest revisionist history I've ever seen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Cardinals offered him more money than the Cubs (without an opt-out). Also it's 11 ABs in spring training so I wouldn't quite jump the gun on declaring Heyward a lost cause.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Seriously, though. Didn't the Cards and Nats offer him 10/200+?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like what kind of hole did you live in that you think the Cubs were the only team chasing Hayward lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
You're so dumb GOD.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves fans would have told you that he'd go into deep slumps that would drive you crazy, especially at the beginnings of seasons, but the hot spells and the consistent defensive wizardry made it worth while. That said, he never really fulfilled the promise of his rookie year (mostly because of a steep drop in his walk rate) and the 2014 season made it clear that his inconsistency could stretch out long enough that Freeman was clearly the better bet in the long run.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint already in midseason shitposting form

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Technically Huston Street's delivery is also illegal under the new rules because his pivot foot leaves the rubber as he goes from one side of the the plate to another.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

stop listening to that idiot. seriously, ignoring him and the other three or four awful cubs fans made this thread at least checkable

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Paul Zuvella posted:

The gently caress? Hayward was increadibly highly regarded by a ton of teams and got a huge amount of offers. This is some of the craziest revisionist history I've ever seen.

He was no Torres

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

stop listening to that idiot. seriously, ignoring him and the other three or four awful cubs fans made this thread at least checkable

So like 90% of the posts in these threads are blank for you?

Oh poo poo, maybe you can't see this...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Cardinals adorable sometimes

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...aign=user-share

V: Waino. :allears:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Like all things, this story was ruined by the addition of A1 sauce.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jung-Ho Kang received an 8 month sentence in South Korea for his most recent DUI case, but apparently it's a suspended sentence (for two years) and he won't be going to jail unless he breaks the terms of his suspended sentence.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/jung-ho-kang-sentenced-in-dui-case.html

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

You're so dumb GOD.

I'm flattered. I mean, I can see how you'd think I"m god.....

Abel Wingnut posted:

Awwww... how adorable. I have a fan.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Mike_V posted:

Why the gently caress are they banning outfield markers? Who cares. Is it because positioning players cuts down on offense?

It's because the Mets are the ones who complained, and the Wilpons have a disproportionate influence in the inner circle

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

NiceGuy posted:

God I hated the loving Price deal when it was signed and I hate it even more now. Thank christ we finally blew our prospect load on another frontline pitcher in Sale or we'd be turbofucked right out of the gate. And truth be told it's not looking rosy after Sale and Porcello anyway.

I was so happy the Jays didn't blow their brains out to keep him

More so now

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jung-Ho Kang received an 8 month sentence in South Korea for his most recent DUI case, but apparently it's a suspended sentence (for two years) and he won't be going to jail unless he breaks the terms of his suspended sentence.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/03/jung-ho-kang-sentenced-in-dui-case.html

Are there any mandatory MLB penalties/suspensions for drunk driving convictions like they do for domestic violence or is Kang OK to play now?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's because the Mets are the ones who complained, and the Wilpons have a disproportionate influence in the inner circle

Didn't the Wilpons lose their shirts from the whole Bernie Madoff thing? Do they have financial influence? Because unless you've got some dirt on people it seems like that's the only kind of influence you could have on a baseball owner.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

Are there any mandatory MLB penalties/suspensions for drunk driving convictions like they do for domestic violence or is Kang OK to play now?

What a piece of poo poo. Goddamn. I hope he blows out a knee or something and goes back home, never to be heard from again.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Your Taint posted:

Didn't the Wilpons lose their shirts from the whole Bernie Madoff thing? Do they have financial influence? Because unless you've got some dirt on people it seems like that's the only kind of influence you could have on a baseball owner.

The only reason the Wilpons are still involved in baseball at all after that whole scandal is because of their connection to Selig, and Manfred is basically his puppet

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Your Taint posted:

What a piece of poo poo. Goddamn. I hope he blows out a knee or something and goes back home, never to be heard from again.

Somewhere in Florida Chris Coghlan feels a jolt of inspiration

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Popete posted:

So like 90% of the posts in these threads are blank for you?

Oh poo poo, maybe you can't see this...

like 1/4 are

and i see yours :)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
N: Greg Bird hit a 2-run shot entirely out of the stadium in Tampa today.

V: I think his shoulder is feeling pretty good.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

lol has a persons entire career been effectively ended by a rule change before? The odds of this fringe reliever dude relearning his delivery from scratch seems extremely low.

Eddie Gaedel? :cheeky:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

N: Greg Bird hit a 2-run shot entirely out of the stadium in Tampa today.

V: I think his shoulder is feeling pretty good.

The pitch right before Bird's mammoth dinger was a hanging slider that Sanchez nearly came out of his shoes swinging at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...es/201703020197
Well maybe instead of using public money to build PNC you should have used your own money that you use to buy land for ski resorts Bob

• Locked thread