Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

plus the essence cost for even one limb is pretty prohibitive.

Eh, it's fine. I'm not using my soul for anything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bad wargaming is better than no wargaming

See how this is madness?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Captain Rufus posted:

We have all the poo poo from cyberpunk dystopias but no cool Elf cyberdeckers or hot chicks in powered armor fighting evil corporate not Terminators. Basically we just got the bad parts of cyberpunk and none of the cool poo poo.

So we are all the wage slaves then? When the cool poo poo goes down our lives will briefly become exciting/terrifying and it will probably end badly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Bad Moon posted:

See how this is madness?

Drinking is far more important to life than gaming, especially when you are around an infant all day every day.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have sinned against the thread: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2017/03/warhammer-40k-kill-team.html :fail:

That's right I have been so desperate to do some hobby gaming I have now played 40K (Kill Team) TWO WEEKS IN A ROW AND AM GOING BACK FOR A THIRD NEXT WEEK.
(Where I am also giving the store money for a GW product. At 25% off but I am buying the Cheeseworld Eldar Codex. I have shared Moola's reaction video to that book with them. They were vaguely amused.)

Its almost like Kill Team is close to something good from the Workshop. Close. Other minis games are probably superior but any port in a storm dontchaknow. Also I still have my armies and it might lead to getting some to try out 2nd ed or maybe Warpath Firefight or something in the future. Yeah probably not. But I choose to live like a windrammer as I gently caress and will at least dare to dream, just a little bit. I mean we lost Private Hudson. THE WORLD OWES ME GODDAMNIT.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, apparently, Eternal Crusade is free to play now? Or something? I got a game key from them and thought i might as well give it a whirl... Well, once my lovely, Turnbull endorsed internet manages to siphon the game to my computer.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Captain Rufus posted:

I have sinned against the thread: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2017/03/warhammer-40k-kill-team.html :fail:

That's right I have been so desperate to do some hobby gaming I have now played 40K (Kill Team) TWO WEEKS IN A ROW AND AM GOING BACK FOR A THIRD NEXT WEEK.
(Where I am also giving the store money for a GW product. At 25% off but I am buying the Cheeseworld Eldar Codex. I have shared Moola's reaction video to that book with them. They were vaguely amused.)

Its almost like Kill Team is close to something good from the Workshop. Close. Other minis games are probably superior but any port in a storm dontchaknow. Also I still have my armies and it might lead to getting some to try out 2nd ed or maybe Warpath Firefight or something in the future. Yeah probably not. But I choose to live like a windrammer as I gently caress and will at least dare to dream, just a little bit. I mean we lost Private Hudson. THE WORLD OWES ME GODDAMNIT.

Kill Team is like 40k without many of the problems of 40k (huge game length, incredibly cheesy units, death stars, internet metas, etc etc). People play it and enjoy it, and some units that don't get much love in normal 40k get plenty of love in Kill Team.

I've finished painting my Carcharadons for Kill Team, and I'm 3 models off the 1000 points I need for Goon Con.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

So, apparently, Eternal Crusade is free to play now? Or something? I got a game key from them and thought i might as well give it a whirl... Well, once my lovely, Turnbull endorsed internet manages to siphon the game to my computer.

eternal crusade is one of the 3 or 4 steam refunds ive gotten. its real bad

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Oh, no doubt. I still feel like i should experience how poo poo it is, though, you know?
Like, all the videos i've seen of it points to a rather bland game, that promised a lot more than it could deliver (seems to be a trend this decade) and shoots itself in the foot with certain decisions that were made in production. The voice acting is so loving over the top and the SFX are anemic, at best and you can tell a lot of their attention went more into marines than the others.

But i'm still going to give it a go, just so i can say "I played the lovely game and it was poo poo."
Like Dark Souls 2!

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played/tested Horizon Wars?
It's another Osprey Publishing published game, alongside Frostgrave, and Bolt Action.
Anyone played a few games of it?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Same here. Hacking was rampant, game balance is poo poo.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

A while back I posted about finding a box of Epic Space Marine in the attic. I took some pictures, pm me if you're interested, otherwise I'll put it on Ebay come sunday. A bunch of minis are already masterfully pre-painted, by that I mean you have to clean them because I simply dipped them in paint as a kid.

more here http://imgur.com/a/GN558

(I'm in the EU)

Should be complete, conditions of the cardboard buildings is good, never played with those things.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know what playing Eternal Crusade reminds me of? Day of Defeat: Source. You can be dumping a full MG box into someone, who's just standing behind a knee high rock, unmoving and yet, he lives and you're the one who copped an SMG round to the noggin from down field.

You know what else? I miss Quake Wars: Enemy Territory. I loved poking around corners and building poo poo in that game. Strogg!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the best game that captures red orchestra 1/2? Steep learning curve (depth, not complex rules) and high lethality? Is it Infinity? I know all the different weapon profiles and 5 types of infiltration are fiddly but the core Price is Right style rules are extremely simple.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yeh, I'd say Infinity covers that pretty well.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the best game that captures red orchestra 1/2? Steep learning curve (depth, not complex rules) and high lethality? Is it Infinity? I know all the different weapon profiles and 5 types of infiltration are fiddly but the core Price is Right style rules are extremely simple.
Infinity is pretty much what you're looking for unless you really wanna keep the WW2 setting.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Have you considered travelling to the Mortal Realms of Age of Sigmar?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Irate Tree posted:

Lol, it's still $50 on Steam, and has a discussion forum full of people uninstalling because it runs worse than Minecraft.

Oh, god, it's even more GW than that. If I'm reading the most recent blog correctly, this game is still listing on Steam at $50, but can be picked up FTP and costs $20 in-game to upgrade to the full version.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 4, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

Lol, it's still $50 on Steam, and has a discussion forum full of people uninstalling because it runs worse than Minecraft.

Oh, god, it's even more GW than that. If I'm reading the most recent blog correctly, this game is still listing on Steam at $50, but can be picked up FTP and costs $20 in-game to upgrade to the full version.

Yep. What they've done is; as you play, you get experience, in-game minor currency and skill points to upgrade poo poo but if you're playing for free, you only get, like, a third of it. The rest is displayed prominently in a little window with a big button that says - GO PREMIUM!

Edit: I have uninstalled the lovely game. First time I left a review for anything, too.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 4, 2017

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
I got Eternal Crusade gifted to me for $7 and it is indeed an unpolished turd, I've played worse games for sure but would definitely not recommend picking it up for $20 or god forbid $50. The game can be entertaining and engaging to play, but the abundant problems (balance issues, godawful netcoding) works against what gameplay there is.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Soulfucker posted:

I got Eternal Crusade gifted to me for $7 and it is indeed an unpolished turd, I've played worse games for sure but would definitely not recommend picking it up for $20 or god forbid $50. The game can be entertaining and engaging to play, but the abundant problems (balance issues, godawful netcoding) works against what gameplay there is.

Apparently some of the true believers got in for $120 or more.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
so I guess they dropped that whole 'F2P players play as orks' thing?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Moola posted:

Well otherwise everyone would play as F2P.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Moola posted:

quote:

Ork only, with only one class available would have messed up class, faction, and matchmaking balance on an epic scale.

To quote the devs. I think they may have finally admitted that their game is poo poo enough that most players wouldn't pay a premium to play the other races as they intended.

Full blog entry below :

quote:

State of the Crusade – Free Carnage Edition
MARCH 2 - OVEUR_BHVR
Amazing how time is fun when you're having flies.

It's refreshing to see that people are looking forward to more people to shoot. It means more regions open up; it means less wait for carnage, it means it's more likely that the particular Ork game you want to join is available, and up and running in your region.

Because we aren't going “F2P P2W”, we're providing a free version of the game, which has slower progression and class limitation, exactly so that free players are valuable to paying players, and vice versa. You still have to pay to get the full game.

Ork only, with only one class available would have messed up class, faction, and matchmaking balance on an epic scale. We now allow all classes except Air Assault; all progression is at 1/3 of the paying player, and you still need to pay either $20 or 20,000 RTC to unlock the full game.

This imbalance would mean that there is no value in the free player to the paying player. The free player is diminishing the experience, instead of becoming a vital part of it.

The free player won't stay around long enough either, as playing one class of Ork in Eternal Crusade, especially with that epic imbalance, would suck for them as much as it would suck for the paying player.

That's why we redesigned Free to Waaagh. To provide value to the paying player, and make the free player experience fun, without ruining the game.

That is a fundamental rule of a hybrid business model like this. If it adds no value to the experience of everyone adding a legion of free players, there is no reason to do it.

Now, “Free to Waagh” will increase the value and fun for everyone. Even us, the developer, as revenues means more investment in the game, to reach its ultimate potential. And with the love/hate relationship, we all have for the Eternal Crusade; I think this is what we all want.

That Eternal Crusade can become the ultimate playground, for your Warhammer 40,000 fantasies.

When is this all happening?

Over the next weeks, we will be sending out soft-launch keys to the free version. You can call it closed beta if you will. They are entirely valid keys and everything you achieve during the soft-launch transfers straight into the game after we launch the free version. You are in fact playing in the same world as everybody else. There is no reset when we go live.

Alienware is our first partner for the soft-launch as well as our very own newsletter subscribers. There are more partners part of the soft launch, and it’s about 250,000 keys, to begin. How many will activate we never know, but the key is free for you to use for yourself or give to friends.

We also haven’t forgotten our current players, early access, and founders.

You are already receiving 20,000 RTC* when you enter the game today. When we launch the new free version, the new $20 & $50 packages, you will also get a Steam giftable** version of the game.

Additionally, the long overdue removal of the Venerable pack weapons in the $50 version happens now. They will be exclusive to you forever, replaced by four regular store bundles, one for each faction.

What is your priority right now?

Our priority is very much the same as the player priorities and reflected in the future updates.

Client, Network and Server performance, all of which fall under “lag” as they are all contributing factors.

Improve, Monitor and Measure the path into the game for new players. Educating players makes a better experience for paying and free players alike. That’s the new tutorial, death tips and such. I originally replied with most on this on our forums to Anvil’s post – thank you :)

You. That’s your character, the combat balancing, melee, visual customization, veterans, and elites to name a few things and features we’re expanding around character evolution (some pleasant surprises planned here).

Goals. We continue to improve the world map and campaigns. Increase player agency, variety in types of campaign goals, personal and global.
Many ask for consoles and to address that, our resources are fully committed and focused on the above. Console development is on our roadmap but on hold till this phase of Eternal Crusade, and that we have more precise answers to cross-platform play. Then we will determine where consoles land.

This ties into the fact that the more people that are in the world, the more valuable the world is to players. It helps everything from matchmaking, to faction, class and campaign balance. It ties into everything.

We thank you all for your support in getting Eternal Crusade here, hope that you continue to support Eternal Crusade that we all love, hate, or both – we all see the potential. And that’s what binds us.

Nathan and the Eternal Crusade team

Will be sent as newsletter and original forum post is here:
http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/state-of-the-crusade-%E2%80%93-free-carnage-edition.64006/

* This started with Content Update 1.3 and is not an additional 20,000 RTC on top of that. So if you received last week 20,000 RTC, you have already received it.
** Steam game giftable goes out when we formally launch later this month, not now.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

More like Free to lol

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

quote:

That Eternal Crusade can become the ultimate playground, for your Warhammer 40,000 fantasies.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*heavy breathing through vox*

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

They may be over promising here. Or at least I hope they are.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Well they did build that entire game on over-promising

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Irate Tree posted:

Even as a free game, it is overpriced.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

DO IT TO IT posted:

Well they did build that entire game on over-promising

From the newsletters I have been getting over the years they over promised big time, ran into technology restraints, blew most of the budget trying to get it working, re-started the project to build something less technically ambitious that sort of hit their minimum goals that could theoretically be 'iterated upon' over time, they then sold a bunch of early access packages to raise more capital for the new direction and now they are course correcting that to make the people who were excited for the original thing kinda happy.

Basically it is looking a lot like Dust514, the EVE-Online spin off fps. Started with huge aspirations, went into development hell when the company struggled to realise them, development quietly gets rebooted multiple times before a stripped down version shambles out the door several years past its best with the promise of meaningful ongoing development that will flesh the game out.

Fun fact; Eternal Crusades head honcho Nathan Richardsson was senior management at CCP during their 'jesus feature' era and was at one point senior producer on Dust514.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey guys I've fallen outta wargaming for a while but am trying to catch up on this here death thread since the last few have been great - I see some people talking bad about Warmachine/Hordes/PP, was there some drama there I'm unaware of? I still have a Hordes starter set like half painted. :(

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

food court bailiff posted:

Hey guys I've fallen outta wargaming for a while but am trying to catch up on this here death thread since the last few have been great - I see some people talking bad about Warmachine/Hordes/PP, was there some drama there I'm unaware of? I still have a Hordes starter set like half painted. :(

New edition dropped.

Controversy about a change in the meta again and complaints about the quality of the plastics in the new starters.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I think there were some fairly major hiccups in MKIII and also apparently Skorne got gutted, but they've been doing a lot of erratas and FAQs and I don't know much about Skorne but apparently they're OK now :shrug:

e: as a filthy casual player I've been enjoying it a lot more than MKII, and I enjoyed MKII quite a lot.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Skorne are cool and good now. Pretty good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

FrostyPox posted:

I think there were some fairly major hiccups in MKIII

From memory, I think they forgot to print books or produce models so when MKIII dropped, retail had nothing and a bunch of people were put on waiting lists.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Most of the drama seems to be people who left in MkII or who were on the fence, came back with unrealistic expectations on how much MkIII was going to change the game, and then left in a huff when it wasn't perfect out of the box. Simplifying some parts of the rules gave rise to new quirks, other parts were actually streamlined for the better. Some models rose in power, others fell, and new stuff still occasionally comes out with wonky balance. As one can expect people who had a lot invested in stuff that ended up nerfed came out bitter. In particular Skorne which, as mentioned, got a rework recently that seems to have smoothed things over some. And a recent errata that seems to prove that PP might be willing to hit problem rules outside of the more regular errata.

The complaints with regards to Grymkin (the new faction) are largely on the aesthetics as the rules only just started to come out for community testing. The initial teases were that it was Malifaux-ish, people expected more, and then were upset when Malifaux-inspired is really as deep as it turned out.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

My understanding is that it was a consequence of too much demand?

In any event, WMH is still a good game in my estimation, but the Mk3 changes led to some general lack of enthusiasm on my part because I felt like the stuff I loved playing got a slight power downgrade in Mk3 (for Legion, I felt like Ogrun were less worthwhile than in Mk2 - loved my Rhyas tier list with all those ADing Ogrun). PP did a major set of errata in response to one faction's power level issues in January, though, and did a new, more limited round of errata in Feb so I'm optimistic about stuff being brought up to par.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The other day I went into a games workshop store, only to have to leave a minute later because the employee had to go for lunch. The same thing happened the last time I went into a games workshop store 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The other day I went into a games workshop store, only to have to leave a minute later because the employee had to go for lunch. The same thing happened the last time I went into a games workshop store 6 months ago.

GW should just switch to having "bank hours" at this rate.

• Locked thread