Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Getsuya posted:

Yeah Nurse Love Addiction was horrible. The main girl was one of the worst VN MCs I've ever seen. At the very least she was by far the dumbest.

I tried to just force my way through because I liked the rest of the cast but then I got to That Scene and quit.

I was enjoying her idiocy up until she decided to demonstrate empathy by peeing in the middle of a hallway and everyone continued to support her as "our slightly dumb but well-meaning student nurse' as opposed to kicking her out of the program for being consistently terrible at everything.

I'm okay with a character being an idiot who drifts through life failing at everything and being politely ignored as long as she isn't harming anyone else. I'm okay with a character being an airhead with an inexplicable talent whose quirks are therefore overlooked because she's good at something. But when you're a total idiot, worst of the class in everything, failing every challenge, disobeying rules, etc, and you do something that bizarre, something which is held up as a big mistake by other characters so it's not like it wasn't supposed to be a problem... it bothers me that she wasn't just kicked out of the program and forced to fight her way back in, which would at least give her a chance for some development.

I am still not very far into the game so I expect poo poo to get much weirder eventually. Really, I'm here because I'm expecting the game to swerve from cute to OMGWTF at some point and I'm into that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Dd anyone play Root Double? I saw it for £15 yesterday when I was buying Yakuza 0 and wondered if I should pick it up.

If someone tells me its at least average, or that the protagonist isn't a complete dummy, I'll get it.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Not Operator posted:

Dd anyone play Root Double? I saw it for £15 yesterday when I was buying Yakuza 0 and wondered if I should pick it up.

If someone tells me its at least average, or that the protagonist isn't a complete dummy, I'll get it.

If you like sci-fi mystery/suspense it's excellent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I thought it was good and liked the protagonists.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

That's enough for me. Thanks guys, I'll pick it up on my way to work.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Not Operator posted:

I don't think Root Double is out on Vita yet, so I'm guessing you saw Root Letter, which seems less popular. (Or is Root Double out and I'm just a dummy?)

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

No, you're right.

gently caress.

Hey guys did anyone play Root Letter? I saw it for £15 yesterday when I was buying etc etc.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ripley posted:

I don't think Root Double is out on Vita yet, so I'm guessing you saw Root Letter, which seems less popular. (Or is Root Double out and I'm just a dummy?)

Root Double Vita's due out in March, so it's remotely conceivable that a retailer might have it and not care about street dates? The PC release has obviously been out for ages. (edit: nm) (edit2: And come to think of it Root Double Vita isn't getting a physical release anyway.)

I haven't played Root Letter myself, but yeah, all the reactions I've heard have been disappointed.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 22, 2017

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

Not Operator posted:

No, you're right.

gently caress.

Hey guys did anyone play Root Letter? I saw it for £15 yesterday when I was buying etc etc.

Beautiful art, underwhelming story, in my opinion.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've been really slacking about continuing Root Double...

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

I enjoyed Root A a fair bit, but I got pretty bored trying to get through Root B.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is this Shadows of Pygmalion thing that just showed up on Steam something I should know or care about? The name rings a bell, but I can't remember what context I might have heard it in.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mopping up Root Double is a lot easier with the answer system. They probably just should've had it there from the off.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/837495671556976640

Oh hell yeah

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i dunno what that is

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It was a really cool sounding VN for.. The Wii, I think. The anime Canaan was a spin-off.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a "Sound Novel"/VN using live actors instead of anime art, co-developed by Type-Moon, creators of the Fate series. It's a combination of still images with NVL-style text-based storytelling (fate/stay night, Higurashi), and live-action FMV. I don't know much about the actual story, other than it seems to be some kind of modern day detective story.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a "Sound Novel"/VN using live actors instead of anime art. It's a combination of still images with NVL-style presentation (fate/stay night, Higurashi), and live-action FMV. I don't know much about the actual story, other than it seems to be some kind of modern day detective story.
Oh so its like Phantasmagoria 2 and stuff like that then.

Well maybe not Phantasmagoria 2 specifically.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Someone LPed the prequel 'Machi' I believe, so you can read that for a good idea of the content.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Honestly never expected that to ever get localized

I think it's notable for being awarded a perfect Famitsu score before it became a joke magazine?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

Is this Shadows of Pygmalion thing that just showed up on Steam something I should know or care about? The name rings a bell, but I can't remember what context I might have heard it in.
The mystery was killing me, and rather than look for more information online I decided to just play it, because playing random visual novels that you don't know anything about is a good and smart idea that will never cause you any problems.

I lasted about 20 minutes. If I did hear about it somewhere before, it must have been a warning.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Honestly never expected that to ever get localized

I think it's notable for being awarded a perfect Famitsu score before it became a joke magazine?

Has Famitsu ever not been a joke magazine?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I just played Cyber City 2157 (fittingly enough I don't remember when I bought it). An extremely bizarre badly translated game that I could actually recommend if they had finished any of the plot points they bring up.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

CottonWolf posted:

Famitsu used to highly regarded in the west, before there were articles telling of how bad it is. I think the only thing that really has changed in the last decade is perception.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember people cared when it seemed like they rarely gave out those 40/40 scores.

My own view nowadays is that number ratings aren't very useful in criticism, at least not without any context.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CottonWolf posted:

I can't say anything about the reviews themselves but there was a period of time when an actual 40/40 score was rare and considered significant, like, spaced out by several years. The turning point was around the time Windwaker got a 40/40, then it became literally every triple A title.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Someone LPed the prequel 'Machi' I believe, so you can read that for a good idea of the content.

That was me, and I stopped fairly early because of lack of free time. I'm thinking of going back to it now that the semi-sequel is coming out in English, though. If you have archives, you can read it here.

428 (which stands for "Shibuya" in Japanese numeric mnemonics, by the way) is the games that got producer/director Jiro Ishii to prominence. He went on to produce 999 for Chunsoft (though he's not involved with the sequels) and Time Travelers, which is very much a stylistic sequel to Machi and 428, for Level 5. That style itself probably owes much more to the involvement of producer Koichi Nakamura in both Machi and 428. Nakamura was a long time Chunsoft producer who worked on everything from early Dragon Quest games to pretty much all of their prominent sound novels.

Machi and 428 are different from earlier Chunsoft sound novels (Kamaitachi no Yoru and Otogiriso) not just because they use stills of live actors instead of the abstract silhouette style of the early games. Kamaitachi and Otogiriso are highly branching games, and though they have a "winning" route (in the case of Kamaitachi, which is a mystery, it's the one where you actually solve it), the story can lead of in very different directions depending on your choices. Machi and 428, on the other hand, are very linear but contain dozens and dozens of "bad ends", which are kind of a collectible. You never stray too much away from the main story to reach them, but some of are difficult to track and require multiple specific choices to trigger. They're also all written to be entertaining in and by themselves, and the point of the game is to try and get them all. The games also make heavy use of the "zapping" system - they feature several protagonists and you can move between them as they cross ways in the story. Often making a choice with one character is the only way to avoid a Bad End for another.

mycot posted:

I can't say anything about the reviews themselves but there was a period of time when an actual 40/40 score was rare and considered significant, like, spaced out by several years. The turning point was around the time Windwaker got a 40/40, then it became literally every triple A title.

A perfect 40/40 score is still rare - there are only about 20 games in the history of the magazine that got it. What became very common in recent years, however, are nearly perfect scores (four 9s, or a distribution of 9s and 10s). I've read old and new Famitsu issues, and I don't think the reviews themselves changed that much. What did change is what the numbers mean. An average game used to get a 5 or a 4. Now it gets a 7, and they seem to be hesitant to make the score lower than that unless there's something really wrong with the game. The actual content of the reviews (which is usually just two or three sentences) is still what it used to be and usually points out the flaws.

Famitsu isn't a bad magazine, but you don't buy it for its editorial. I get it every week (digitally, because who has room for so much paper) because it's an astounding amount of weekly content for about three dollars. It's good for information, interviews, personal columns from game creators and historical articles. It's not good if you want critical opinions about new games.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Also 428 stood out because Famitsu tended to dump on VNs. Even the really famous ones tended to get pretty moderate scores, so it was surprising for a VN to get such a high score.

I'm diving back into otome games. I had an idea for a 'Brotome' blog where I review otome games from the perspective of a straight male VN fan. Should be fun. I'm mostly going to focus on PSP games since they're easiest to get a hold of and VNs are always best portable.

First up is Black Wolves Saga. Yay werewolves.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

FractalSandwich posted:

Don't leave us hangin'. What's so bad about this game? I saw it randomly pop up on Steam too and was vaguely curious.

Getsuya posted:

I'm diving back into otome games. I had an idea for a 'Brotome' blog where I review otome games from the perspective of a straight male VN fan. Should be fun. I'm mostly going to focus on PSP games since they're easiest to get a hold of and VNs are always best portable.
Would read this blog.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Crap someone already took my super original and creative blog name and are using it for a YouTube channel with a similar theme. Guess I'll have to come up with something else to call it.

M'otome (except I don't want to associate myself with the connotations of m'lady)
Reversing the Harem
Sausage Matsuri

I don't know. Hopefully I'll have something by the time I actually finish a game and start reviewing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
"Sausage Matsuri" is the worst and I love it.

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Don't leave us hangin'. What's so bad about this game? I saw it randomly pop up on Steam too and was vaguely curious.
It's nothing exciting. Its prose isn't very good, and right out of the gate it's super sexually charged in a way I'm not on board with. I bet you could play a fun game of Visual Novel Bingo with it. You'd be done in no time.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Holy crap Black Wolves Saga is awesome so far. The backstory is probably one of the best ones I've seen in a long time for a VN:

'So there are cat-people, dog-people, human people, wolf-people, rat-people and rabbit-people. The cats, wolves and humans were the top class of the kingdom (with the cats at the top of the top) until a wolf tried to cause a rebellion and got put down. Then people hated the wolves. Then a zombie disease/fantasy ebola broke out and everyone blamed the wolves so the cat-king announced a wolf genocide which still continues today.'

I like how they even call the genocide order 'Genocide Wolf' in Engrish.

I'm really enjoying the crap out of it. Half of me is worried I accidentally picked the otome equivalent of Little Busters/Fate Stay and all the games after this will be a let down while the other half of me is saying 'man if half the otome games I play have stories this rad this is going to be the best blog project ever!'

Edit: Though I'm a little disturbed by the fact that the main character's dad got her two puppies to keep her company except they're not puppies they're dog-children that can turn into puppies and she essentially keeps them as pets. She tries to gloss over it by saying her dad got them to be her 'conversation companions' but they basically refuse to take human form and the first thing she does in the game is throw a ball so that they'll run and chase it for her amusement.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 7, 2017

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

While I haven't played it yet I have heard almost entirely positive commentary from other parts of the internet, including people talking about how much it made them cry. What I do know about it is that there are almost no choices, maybe like one which-ending choice near the end, and that while there's suggestive text there's very little in the way of girls actually being romantic or loving with each other in graphics, possibly not even kissing onscreen, which disappoints some players. Considering how much yuri is just cutesy happy sweet schoolgirl stuff they may be overly generous for the change in tone, I don't know.

There's a free demo though so if you're vaguely curious you could check that.

Also, now that I have played Nurse Love Addiction, I am disappointed by Itsuki's route. After the full-blown crazy train of Nao and Sakuya's routes, I was expecting Itsuki's storyline to get into the exciting details of the newly-revived secret research projects, who's behind them, what their goal is, and finally force Asuka to unlock her secret true power and do some murdering, possibly with the aid of Firestarter, and have them really run amok and take over the government or something. Instead, Asuka doesn't even get her memories back in this one and it just sputters out.

gegi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 7, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Holy crap Black Wolves Saga is awesome so far. The backstory is probably one of the best ones I've seen in a long time for a VN

They released a fan-patch for the series a few months ago but I haven't played it since I need to set up the emulator. If you do make a blog, feel free to link it since I read VN review sites often. The downside of reviewing otoge is how you WILL run out of games unless you do mobage.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
No worries, I'm reading them in Japanese so even with limiting myself to PSP games I'll have enough games to last me for years. Pretty much every otome game ever got ported to PSP.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

gegi posted:

While I haven't played it yet I have heard almost entirely positive commentary from other parts of the internet, including people talking about how much it made them cry. What I do know about it is that there are almost no choices, maybe like one which-ending choice near the end, and that while there's suggestive text there's very little in the way of girls actually being romantic or loving with each other in graphics, possibly not even kissing onscreen, which disappoints some players. Considering how much yuri is just cutesy happy sweet schoolgirl stuff they may be overly generous for the change in tone, I don't know.

There's a free demo though so if you're vaguely curious you could check that.
I didn't find out it was supposed to be yuri until after I stopped, so that didn't affect my judgement. Like I said, I only played it for 20 minutes, so my opinion is pretty uninformed. If it sounds interesting to you, you should ignore me and play it. If it turns out it's actually good and just has a really rough opening, post about it, and I might give it another shot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

root double's half fof on steam right now

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
Area-X is on sale for -20%. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? All the steam reviews are positive..but who knows?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zaphiel posted:

Area-X is on sale for -20%. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? All the steam reviews are positive..but who knows?

That sure is a line.

The UI and some of the backgrounds look like mid-2000s Newgrounds stuff. Character art is pretty alright though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

There, finally 100% done with Root Double after 65 goddamn hours.

It was alright but much like Ever17 they repeat a lot of the same scenes way too many times for no particular reason. Could probably cut about 15 hours of reading off just streamlining that.