Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Hopefully they won't do the starter set exclusive cards again. Part of the reason starters were hard to get was that people were buying several to get the cards that weren't available anywhere else; that left fewer for people who just wanted a starter to get into the game. If they have starter exclusives again established players will want two of each starter again and it'll be just as hard for new players to buy in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
I think Starter Exclusive cards are fine, if they actually put 2 of each exclusive in the decks to avoid the issue you mention of people having to double-up on them. The bigger issue, I think, is including rares that AREN'T starter only in them, which completely sucks for people opening packs and getting stuff they already had. BB-8, Jedi Robes, and Rey's Staff are the worst things ever to see when opening stuff, and hold no value because of their fixed distribution in starters. I know, woe is me, I have too many of some cards while other people can't get any, but once availability is resolved with future releases that's still going to be an issue.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starter exclusive cards actually made it easier for me to get a workable deck

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Merauder posted:

I think Starter Exclusive cards are fine, if they actually put 2 of each exclusive in the decks to avoid the issue you mention of people having to double-up on them. The bigger issue, I think, is including rares that AREN'T starter only in them, which completely sucks for people opening packs and getting stuff they already had. BB-8, Jedi Robes, and Rey's Staff are the worst things ever to see when opening stuff, and hold no value because of their fixed distribution in starters. I know, woe is me, I have too many of some cards while other people can't get any, but once availability is resolved with future releases that's still going to be an issue.

I always just use my spare BB-8s to hand to my curious kids as they come up to the table and want to touch all the cards. Here kid, play with a BB-8 die. They're always excited because they love BB-8 :3:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Yeah, most companies that make starter decks make unique cards in them, unless they're so huge that they can afford to make a product that very few people are going to buy (Magic). The problem is that they should have just replaced the pack "rares" in the starters with duplicates of the fixed cards so no one had to buy two.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They could have padded out the starter decks with some commons/uncommons to have a working 30 card deck also

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Basically everything about this game is awful except for the game itself. :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Basically everything about this game is awful except for the game itself. :v:
Nail on the head

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

whats a good poe/rey deck?

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

banned from Starbucks posted:

whats a good poe/rey deck?
Noobrainer just lost 2 to 1 in an online tourney yesterday against ePoe/eRey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8rd7K06cY
There are 3 games to watch so you should be able to make out just about everything in that deck. Plus you get to see how it plays at a high level.

EDIT: Just checked and it's at http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/7787/ttsfebruarychampion-specialforces-1.0

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/3/7/start-your-rebellion/

Prerelease Event April 1-2. Also some new spoilers, including the first Force vehicle. Villain only, but at least we know Force will get some kind of vehicles eventually. Probably end up seeing Luke Skywalkers X-Wing at some point. Or if he has a ship in Episode 8, maybe that one.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anakin's Pod

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That Overkill card with Baze looks like a great addition to Ackbar+Guns/Troopers deck

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

canyoneer posted:

That Overkill card with Baze looks like a great addition to Ackbar+Guns/Troopers deck

Also with Awakening!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So seeing the news about a limited reprint of awakenings while I never once saw a booster and still have a box preordered from Miniature Market since December I think I'm giving up on this game cause gently caress this nonsense

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So seeing the news about a limited reprint of awakenings while I never once saw a booster and still have a box preordered from Miniature Market since December I think I'm giving up on this game cause gently caress this nonsense

Sucks to see another player quit, but i'll be perfectly honest: i've seen tons of people quit already. Saying that, people getting rid of their stuff might one day want to come back and will have to pay quite a bit more for the really solid cards from Awakenings. I can't imagine what Sith Holocron, Holdout Blaster, Jetpack and a couple other cards might be a year from now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Sucks to see another player quit, but i'll be perfectly honest: i've seen tons of people quit already. Saying that, people getting rid of their stuff might one day want to come back and will have to pay quite a bit more for the really solid cards from Awakenings. I can't imagine what Sith Holocron, Holdout Blaster, Jetpack and a couple other cards might be a year from now.

Truth. There will be more desirable Vaders printed, and a blue villain ability better than Force Choke printed, but I bet Sith Holocron is a real snowflake.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Assuming FFG keeps the Star Wars license. Weren't there a lot of issues with them and Disney this past year?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

ShowTime posted:

I got one Rey and one Kylo Ren starting set. I've never seen a booster so I haven't had any of the solid cards from Awakenings to begin with I can literally only run a sub 30 cards villain or hero deck after months still. Cause of FFGs weird choices I would literally be missing out on any kind of card from Awakenings which would handicap me going forward, assuming the next expansion doesn't have the same problem where I sit on a pre-order that never gets fulfilled cause of short supply

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I got one Rey and one Kylo Ren starting set. I've never seen a booster so I haven't had any of the solid cards from Awakenings to begin with I can literally only run a sub 30 cards villain or hero deck after months still. Cause of FFGs weird choices I would literally be missing out on any kind of card from Awakenings which would handicap me going forward, assuming the next expansion doesn't have the same problem where I sit on a pre-order that never gets fulfilled cause of short supply

I'm thinking of getting out, if I do would you like to buy my collection for what I paid, plus maybe a little to reflect all the trade work I did? (3 boxes, have to check receipts)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eMHzTQ3zz8xNcojcmONq61HcHJWJVsHtrFCW7hQhQVs/edit?usp=sharing

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Those were rumors but they've consistently renewed their license with them and it doesn't look like Disney has any interest in producing these kinds of niche games. It would be far more likely that Disney actually purchases FFG/Asmodee. Many people in the industry have been speculating on something like that ever since the merger and FFG/Asmodee snapping up so many smaller companies. Make yourself bigger and more dominant in a field and then sell to someone even bigger.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Deviant posted:

I'm thinking of getting out, if I do would you like to buy my collection for what I paid, plus maybe a little to reflect all the trade work I did? (3 boxes, have to check receipts)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eMHzTQ3zz8xNcojcmONq61HcHJWJVsHtrFCW7hQhQVs/edit?usp=sharing

I have to say I really am just not interested anymore. This whole debacle has killed my want to play the game and pretty much anyone I could play with has given up on it as well since they're in the same boat. The one FLGS that got any boosters in got in two boxes the entire run

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I have to say I really am just not interested anymore. This whole debacle has killed my want to play the game and pretty much anyone I could play with has given up on it as well since they're in the same boat. The one FLGS that got any boosters in got in two boxes the entire run

Well, okay.

Consider it an interest check if anyone else wants a just-add-water collection?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
That seems to be the commonality in a lot of people quitting, and even in other games. Communities that are able to support the game, which in turn gather more players. If a community never starts and keeps it going, there simply won't be anyone playing at that store. It's different in bigger locations, but in smaller places with only 1-2 game stores, certain games just never take off while others stay pretty consistent. As an example, my store has a really small Star Wars Destiny community, with like 10 people. Some stores don't have any, some stores have huge 30+ people communities. X-Wing is a huge game, but absolutely no one at my store plays it because no one else does.

Deviant if you are really selling your stuff, let me know a price and i'll see if anyone local is interested.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My store just got a message from someone asking if we were running the SoR prerelease (yes) so there's some interest still. I'm probably holding onto my extra Awakenings stuff because if SoR draws people in, they're going to need Awakenings cards. I'll sell at lower than eBay prices to build a local community. If SoR's supply and card pool is strong, then the game could take off despite Awakenings packs not being available. My theory for that is based on Magic. In Magic right now, the newest set is Aether Revolt. The Standard format isn't just that set, it's also slightly older sets including the one right before it, Kaladesh. New players exclusively want packs of Aether Revolt, and tend to buy singles from Kaladesh and older sets instead of buying packs, even though packs of Kaladesh are the same price as Aether Revolt.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've been trying to hold out, but after the news from the last two days (sor being on the boat already and prereleases where the send each store 3 boxes) I feel that there's still going to be too much of an issue getting product. I'm holding onto a Jango/Trooper/Trooper deck, but dumping the rest. I'll probably get rid of the deck if SOR really does end up short.

Lucky for me one of the employees at my shop really likes netrunner and would like to see if we can get a netrunner night going. That and X-wing is still good and going strong here.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Netrunner is fantastic, but again it falls into that bit about needing a community to be fun. It was here for awhile, but it died off and I stopped playing.

As for SWDestiny, i'm holding onto my set of everything, but admittedly got rid of some extras I had. I didn't want to be in too deep if the bottom drops and at this point even if it did, i've made enough back that what I have is paid for.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Netrunner is fantastic, but again it falls into that bit about needing a community to be fun. It was here for awhile, but it died off and I stopped playing.

As for SWDestiny, i'm holding onto my set of everything, but admittedly got rid of some extras I had. I didn't want to be in too deep if the bottom drops and at this point even if it did, i've made enough back that what I have is paid for.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If i sell everything, I should break even. Another regular at my shop got rid of everything but a kylo/dooku deck last week, and we spent most of our time talking about podcasts and netrunner. We played like 2 games of destiny, and it was week 5 of our 6 week league. I'm short a good chunk of cards, and can't even maintain a second deck, or really much of anything that isn't jango/red character. With 2 more months until SOR release, and my dismal 1-12 record at the league, I'm having a hard time even just wanting to play. I really like this game, but I agree with what was said earlier. Everything about this game kinda sucks, except for the game itself.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Elblanco posted:

Everything about this game kinda sucks, except for the game itself.

Good thread title

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

canyoneer posted:

Good thread title

Seconded. My store has an OK community (6 regulars and probably 6 more occasional) and I'm still having a hard time staying excited. And this is the community we managed to build with a pretty good supply from our FLGS. The complete stagnation over the past month or two is a real drag on everyone's enthusiasm.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have to travel 2 and a half hours (5 there and back) to get a decent tournament

my local store has an OK playerbase of between 4 and 10 people, it's hard to tell at the moment because the people who play X-Wing also play Destiny and they are on the same night

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

bowmore posted:

I have to travel 2 and a half hours (5 there and back) to get a decent tournament

my local store has an OK playerbase of between 4 and 10 people, it's hard to tell at the moment because the people who play X-Wing also play Destiny and they are on the same night

Same for me on the x wing/destiny split. I haven't actually been to a tournament yet. We keep pushing back doing one until we can drum up more interest, but I feel like not running one is starting to erode interest.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

thocan posted:

Same for me on the x wing/destiny split. I haven't actually been to a tournament yet. We keep pushing back doing one until we can drum up more interest, but I feel like not running one is starting to erode interest.

It's much worse to schedule a tournament that doesn't get enough players to run properly than it is to not run one at all.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only thing worse than being in a nonexistent community because you cant get product is being in a community where 70% are playing vader/raider and nothing else.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
play something that beats vader/raider

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I do its just a boring meta right now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The meta actually seems pretty diverse from reports here and other forums, especially for how small the community and release card pool is, but we don't really have regional/national statistics to back that up. Worlds will be interesting if for no other reason than seeing what decks people run and what ends up winning.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Our meta changes every week because we get bored easy

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Following up from the discussion earlier in the thread about misapplying MTG terminology to this game, the co-owner of my LGS wrote a piece on it, specifically the use of the word "control".

https://justplaygames.uk/blogs/gaming-articles/control-in-star-wars-destiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Word is that in FFG's presentation at GAMA trade show in Vegas today, they said the "limited" reprint of Awakenings does not mean a "small" reprint of Awakenings, and they are printing enough that they expect it to be in stock for a while.
Hang in there, dudes.