Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Streaming isn't about being the best it's about being entertaining. And since the target audience is typically like 8-14 year olds this guys probably fairly popular.
it is important to clarify that he was sponsored as a streamer, not as a competitive gamer. this is evidenced by the fact that he thinks domination will end up being the "competitive" mode for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Last time I watched Skys stream he was talking about how Warden isn't that good and how all his tech is "easily punished".

I was kind of baffled.

It did get patched on Wednesday. The patch didn't really do anything significant other than buffing Valkyrie though.

I mean compared to a good Conq, Warlord, or Valkyrie now, the warden Vortex is easier to deal with in comparison. Conq does way more damage off one combo than warden does in two. Warlord Is a bitch to crack their defense. And Valk has pretty good switchups into putting you on the ground for guaranteed damage. Dont get me wrong though, gently caress the vortex.

I think 100% what could balance out the bash classes is making it so you can't tech guard breaks when you're out of stamina. Right now running out of stamina has almost no negative repercussions if you're the one on the offensive which is why bashes are so good, because they put a defensive opponent out of stamina.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean you can argue about how good Warden really is but saying his tech is "easily punished" is stupid. A bunch of classes have wayyyyy bigger windows for punishment on their tech than Warden does. Vortex isn't really something most classes can even punish. You just disengage from it ASAP.

To use your own example, Valkyrie has like a billion years of lag recovery on her spear sweep. If you do dodge her sweep then you have ample time to stab her. The Warden's recovery time for a whiffed shoulder bash is incredibly short.

Nasgate posted:

I think 100% what could balance out the bash classes is making it so you can't tech guard breaks when you're out of stamina. Right now running out of stamina has almost no negative repercussions if you're the one on the offensive which is why bashes are so good, because they put a defensive opponent out of stamina.

That would make Shugoki unplayable since he runs out of stamina ridiculously easily.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 3, 2017

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am watching Streamers at the moment because I was learning the game and am now far far away from a PC I can use. A couple are useful for that since they do decent analyses and immediately learn from their mistakes.

I figure streamers have maybe 3 audiences: interested in some particular game, entertained by the streamer or their followers, like the way the streamer breaks down games in general. Only the last two are sustainable as a job.

KingRichard's stream has grown from a few hundred to a few thousand regular viewers from For Honor and he might get sponsored I would guess. I don't love the vibe of his Stream and it seems full of fanboi's, but he is usually very good at whatever game he is playing and better at For Honor than a lot of other Streamers. Peeve seems really good if you want learn Nobushi. Tru3Ta1ent is good for class comparison. That sort of thing.

I have been entertained by and been learning from watching a completely no follower recent Streamer (cookiewisp) as she has been learning Valk. I think she comes from a lot of Dark Souls play. She sort of dresses like a clown, streams from 4am-10am PT and is mostly sugary (as opposed to salty) while also pretty consistently winning in duel mode. A lot of people rage quit on her. It's an amusing juxtaposition.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Loopoo posted:

nice generalization man. I don't typically watch streams, I find it really boring. but some streamers out there are really charismatic and make watching them enjoyable. you don't need to be a kid to like watching someone funny and entertaining play a game you like. it's also handy to use as a review tool, you can watch someone play it and see whether or not the game is for you.

I was wrong anyway, average stream viewer is apparently 21.

They all suck regardless . Theyre either MEMELORDS or have some dumb gimmick or are boring outside watching them to actually improve your play. Imaqtpie is kind of entertaining because he obviously doesn't care about streaming or LoL or his viewers and just likes the fat stacks he makes playing video games 10 hours a day.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This game still hasn't gotten a patch? Lol

Not on consoles.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This evening was strange. Felt like there was an uptick in leavers for duels and brawls. 5/7 games had someone leave when they started losing.

I'm sure it's just confirmation bias.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
oh gently caress how did this SP campaign ever get released

YOU ARE A RAIDER
LEGENDARY

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Are there any pro Valkyrie strats out there? I really like the class, coming from Nobushi

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

cams posted:

it is important to clarify that he was sponsored as a streamer, not as a competitive gamer. this is evidenced by the fact that he thinks domination will end up being the "competitive" mode for the game.

The 4v4 modes are definitely more watchable, so he's probably right from that sense.

Right now in eSports, people are still trying to figure out how to even get viewer numbers - skill is a nice to have, but I can tell you that I don't care about any of the pro LoL players who just hit all the skillshots while looking like silent serial killers. Sports is entertainment first (or maybe I've just watched too much Pro Wrestling.)

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

oh gently caress how did this SP campaign ever get released

YOU ARE A RAIDER
LEGENDARY

Other highlights: The most drawn out voice acting ever and characters that can't gesture and speak at the same time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tezzeract posted:

(or maybe I've just watched too much Pro Wrestling.)

Maybe, because that's not really a sport (is athletic demanding.) Assuming you mean stuff like RAW. Like even wrestling is impenetrable in its own way.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tezzeract posted:

The 4v4 modes are definitely more watchable, so he's probably right from that sense.

Right now in eSports, people are still trying to figure out how to even get viewer numbers - skill is a nice to have, but I can tell you that I don't care about any of the pro LoL players who just hit all the skillshots while looking like silent serial killers. Sports is entertainment first (or maybe I've just watched too much Pro Wrestling.)

You need REALLY GOOD commentators for streams. Skill isn't enough because the only people who will get it are people that already know. In order to get new blood in sport-watching, you need people to tell that new blood 1) the moment when something impressive happens 2) why it was impressive 3) interesting poo poo in the meantime

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I bought this game last night! My first game I experienced three instances of the server lagging out with connection issues, then someone quit, then the entire thing crashed to desktop. All in the space of about 5 minutes.

Fun game!

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
I think I am done with this game until they fix the network problems. More of my game crash then finish.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-03-for-honor-ubisoft-answers-the-big-questions

Eurogamer just posted a good interview with the game director. It sounds extremely reasonable and I'm pretty happy with the answers. They're aware that some classes are too weak, that revenge builds and rage quitting are a problem, that the connection problems suck, etc.

I'm pretty happy with his answers. It will be interesting to see how the game changes.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I really do think that the game underneath all of these problems is unique and great. I just hope they can manage to get through all of the crap on top so it has a chance to show. Glad they know about revenge builds and debuff resistance; those are my two biggest gripes about the gear system. The rest of the stats aren't noticeable enough for me to really worry about.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

quote:

When I do it to someone it's fine, but when someone does it to me, it's not fine.

That's the core mentality of most players right there, and that's why I'll never take their whiny bullshit seriously. As wishy washy as he was on the overall issue, good on him for at least acknowledging that this stuff is in the game to be done.

Also gimme those LB buffs you sassy man.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 3, 2017

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
feels like e-sports started growing real fast and then the entire thing turned into a huge wet fart

It's still the same boring games being played and the personalities involved are poo poo all around

It's never gonna become mainstream if it's not fun to watch for Average Joe Man(child). It's more entertaining to just watch some streamer you like beat some guys and then quit the stream after a few minutes instead of trying to tune in to some huge tournament where a bunch of faceless dorks solemnly stare into their computer screens silently

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

DOTA 2's yearly International is hype as gently caress to be honest.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It's still the same boring games being played and the personalities involved are poo poo all around

Hey, it is just like physical sports! Those nerds were right all along.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zzulu posted:

It's never gonna become mainstream if it's not fun to watch for Average Joe Man(child). It's more entertaining to just watch some streamer you like beat some guys and then quit the stream after a few minutes instead of trying to tune in to some huge tournament where a bunch of faceless dorks solemnly stare into their computer screens silently

I gave the Rainbow Six Invitational a chance and I actually liked it a lot. The announcers definitely go over the top but it was fun to see all the strats develop over each round.

I definitely skipped a lot of stuff, though, so not sure about the viability of streaming it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Yeah. Right now 1v1 is pretty miserable to watch since it's just people spamming the only safe offensive moves and fishing for parries.

I think the idea of 4v4 being the competitive mode is interesting. Right now it's kind of hard because there's no spectator mode.

FunkMonkey posted:

That's the core mentality of most players right there, and that's why I'll never take their whiny bullshit seriously. As wishy washy as he was on the overall issue, good on him for at least acknowledging that this stuff is in the game to be done.
My favorite is the people that whine when you CGB them off a ledge. Seriously?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
4v4 is a lot more entertaining since you get teamplay + duels and you can't just play defensively and slowly all the time or you'll get gangbanged or waste time you could have spent capping stuff or reviving a teammate or whatever. It's just more dynamic... AND more classes are viable in 4v4 modes like dominion compared to 1v1's... Like the "worst" character the Raider suddenly becomes a monster in 4v4's and Wardens are just kind of meh

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

HOW DARE YOU SUCCEED AT THE THING I FAILED AT. YOU CANCEROUS gently caress YOU'RE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GAME.

Edit: to the above, I agree 110%. A well coordinated elimination team is far more fascinating to watch and be a part of, in my opinion.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 3, 2017

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I don't think a game that has 20k concurrent players 2 weeks from release needs to worry about esports status

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Zzulu posted:

feels like e-sports started growing real fast and then the entire thing turned into a huge wet fart

Honestly, I would be quite happy to see the death of "e-sports".

The biggest problem with it is that unlike athletics or sports, it's usually formed by the most anti-social people imaginable, all of which are pampered into thinking that it's perfectly normal to be spending up to 16 hours a day playing nothing but one video game until they reach a "professional" level for competitions. They're formed outright by probably some of the worst aspects of human society today.

"E-sports" is like the horrible mutant offspring that crawled out of the decayed corpse of the era of gamesmaster, or tv shows where random people would be ask to come and play fighting games and maybe at the end win a trophy or a case of beer. Instead of thinking "lets get together and have a laugh playing some random game" someone somewhere said "lets make this ultra competitive so that only the most grognard of people are allowed in and then we can monetise the gently caress out of it."

The sooner it dies in the gutter again and gets replaced by something fun and not serious business, the better.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Scrublord tier guide to ganking a dude-

Oh man for honor is fun and you wanna make a dude dead? With friends? Well don't shut off your friggen brain, it's time to gank without turning your target into an anime character who two shots you.

Step one- good cop bad cop (+bad +bad)

Whoever the target is locked onto is the good cop. He just wants to be your friend, come on man just give up it's a Xv1.

Your job is to play defensively and wait for your buddy to open up your target for you.

Whoever is not locked onto by the gankee stand BEHIND the target.
You never spam attacks, you almost never use side attacks.

Your job is to guardbreak the target. Just throw it out randomly. Only time you shouldn't GB them is if they attack. That's when you lay fat top heavies into them. You use top heavies because you never use side, because side attacks might hit your buddy.

If you get the GB, coordinate. Lay synchronized heavies into them. Let them stumble into a wall and then do that, ect.

Woah woah wait dudes, he just teched my GB!

Well thank God it's a gank. The recovery for teaching a GB makes them vlnerable to your buddies. Get a poke in. Get in a shoulder/shield/spear sweep, ect.

Gank mvps- anyone with a command throw/bash combo.

Shugoki is the best. You can wail on a dude for the entire hug animation.

The worst thing you can ever do is just spam attacks at them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I think Brawl will end up being the competitive mode people like.

Fight me, bitches.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I think Brawl will end up being the competitive mode people like.

Fight me, bitches.

Fight with me instead, bitch. Think you got the nuts to ride with the Cliff King?

Also, great guide on being the aggressor in multi engagements. Can't stress enough that you should be behind the target at all times, never to the side. I think a big part of the stigma is that most people aren't adept at it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-03-for-honor-ubisoft-answers-the-big-questions

Eurogamer just posted a good interview with the game director. It sounds extremely reasonable and I'm pretty happy with the answers. They're aware that some classes are too weak, that revenge builds and rage quitting are a problem, that the connection problems suck, etc.

I'm pretty happy with his answers. It will be interesting to see how the game changes.

Yeah it's really good to hear them acknowledging basically all the problems and that they are working to fix them, even if it might not happen right away.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

signalnoise posted:

You need REALLY GOOD commentators for streams. Skill isn't enough because the only people who will get it are people that already know. In order to get new blood in sport-watching, you need people to tell that new blood 1) the moment when something impressive happens 2) why it was impressive 3) interesting poo poo in the meantime

You need yipes. Yipes will bring the hype.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

WMain00 posted:

Honestly, I would be quite happy to see the death of "e-sports".

The biggest problem with it is that unlike athletics or sports, it's usually formed by the most anti-social people imaginable, all of which are pampered into thinking that it's perfectly normal to be spending up to 16 hours a day playing nothing but one video game until they reach a "professional" level for competitions. They're formed outright by probably some of the worst aspects of human society today.

"E-sports" is like the horrible mutant offspring that crawled out of the decayed corpse of the era of gamesmaster, or tv shows where random people would be ask to come and play fighting games and maybe at the end win a trophy or a case of beer. Instead of thinking "lets get together and have a laugh playing some random game" someone somewhere said "lets make this ultra competitive so that only the most grognard of people are allowed in and then we can monetise the gently caress out of it."

The sooner it dies in the gutter again and gets replaced by something fun and not serious business, the better.

Regular athletes can have "winning" personalities too. And it's a real problem with them focusing on sports to the detriment of their education and growth.
There was a lol pro that retired and is now a successful NY real estate agent.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

Loopoo posted:

https://clips-media-assets.twitch.tv/24641111488-offset-16466.mp4

This guy is just awe inspiring. Watching his clips makes me wish I was half as good. The loving mixups he did with Kensei are even better than what AlphaStrike can do.

After the dodge attack, how do Kensei's do that top attack? I can never get anything similar to come out, and it looks mad strong.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I'm okay with esports if it means more balanced games and devs that support it more. It's not something I love to watch but if it means For Honor is more balanced I'm all for it.

The problem is when devs cater to the esports crowd too much. Then you get games like Starcraft 2 that are so obtuse and difficult for new players that only the insanely dedicated keep playing it and there's no fresh blood.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ADTerminal posted:

After the dodge attack, how do Kensei's do that top attack? I can never get anything similar to come out, and it looks mad strong.

it was a bug that was patched out (on PC anyway, console can probably do it), it was only on the dodge right you could do a top 'heavy' that did light damage and was super fast and also feintable.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

This game is hard as poo poo, and i am bad at it. Every couple of rounds though, i go loving crazy and slice people apart like a Jedi, which keeps me coming back. It seems like the only place i can ever get matched with people of my skill level (poo poo tier's loser cousin) is dominion, and duels are where i go to be humiliated and executed before i can get off a swing of my sword. Rage inducing. A+

I usually get eaten by Kenseis, so I'm trying to figure out how to use him, although i keep going back to Nobushi because it's a little easier to poison people to death than actually beat them

edit and bots are disgustingly hard, though this might be a "I'm bad at this" thing.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 3, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

This game is hard as poo poo, and i am bad at it. Every couple of rounds though, i go loving crazy and slice people apart like a Jedi, which keeps me coming back. It seems like the only place i can ever get matched with people of my skill level (poo poo tier's loser cousin) is dominion, and duels are where i go to be humiliated and executed before i can get off a swing of my sword. Rage inducing. A+

I usually get eaten by Kenseis, so I'm trying to figure out how to use him, although i keep going back to Nobushi because it's a little easier to poison people to death than actually beat them

edit and bots are disgustingly hard, though this might be a "I'm bad at this" thing.

I feel like it would be a good idea and a great way to get us together to maybe set up some kind of mutual training/mentorship program, maybe as a specialist subchannel in the Discord? We have people experienced in all the classes who can set up custom matches to teach each other the ins and outs of how to fight as and beat them. I'm talking about both "honorable" and "dishonorable" play skills - dueling, brawl teamwork, 1vM combat, 4 man coordination, etc. Even if you're a staunch honor code player (God knows why) you should at least know how to handle people who aren't, and vice versa.

I feel like especially with the poor matchmaking this game has already become hostile to people fresh off the boat, and it would be good to have a more courteous, educational environment to come to grips. I'm even willing to help set this up if there's sufficient interest.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Inspector Hound posted:

There are four levels of bots that I've encountered, level 3s give me a lot of trouble and level 4s are just the biggest shitheads possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012
Valks move list suggests the spear sweep only works in those 2 combos. But what actually allows you to use it? I've randomly done it at other times but I have no idea what triggers it. I remember a video posted before the patch had a guy doing it after her dash forward light. But so far I've not managed that consistently myself. Anyone all about the spear lady know?