Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://people.com/movies/beauty-and-the-beast-disney-first-openly-gay-character-lefou/

LeFou is literally gay for gaston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

This is how I played LeFou in my high school production of BATB; I thought everyone just obviously knew this about the character

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

and this is news

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

:qq:: "no one says no to Gaston!"

:allears:: "darn right!"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Woah, woah, woah, woah. Are you telling me Rattigan isn't canonically Basil's jilted lover?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

like the first half of Gaston's song is LaFou gushing about how hot he is

they don't get into his underhanded qualities or his competitiveness until other folks start singing

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

and this is news

I guess the new part is where LeFou gets a boyfriend by the end of the film, like legitimately, that's happening in this film and didn't happen in the 90s version

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

He’s played on-screen by Josh Gad, a Tony nominee recognizable to Disney audiences for voicing Olaf in Frozen. In Beauty and the Beast, the 36-year-old will dig his teeth into LeFou’s new subplot — which includes a crush on his pal Gaston (Fast & Furious star Luke Evans) and a happily ever after moment of his own.

“LeFou is somebody who on one day wants to be Gaston and on another day wants to kiss Gaston,” Condon revealed. “He’s confused about what he wants. It’s somebody who’s just realizing that he has these feelings. And Josh makes something really subtle and delicious out of it.”

“That’s what has its payoff at the end, which I don’t want to give away,” Condon added. “But it is a nice, exclusively gay moment in a Disney movie.”

this is nice i suppose, now only if the beast stays a beast at the end...

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

This all rings a bit hollow after watching Peter Rosenthal's trenchant analysis of the original

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Woah, woah, woah, woah. Are you telling me Rattigan isn't canonically Basil's jilted lover?

He better not be because that is a Rat Fact

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gad makes an unexpectedly cute LeFou but man the direction in this is unbelievably lazy.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Gad makes an unexpectedly cute LeFou but man the direction in this is unbelievably lazy.

The reactions to all of this are incredibly hostile.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm never gonna see it because I don't have any interest in seeing it, but based on the trailer I saw before Lego Batman (what a good movie that was, btw), I'm mostly just left wondering "why are they doing this in live action if they're just going to mostly copy the animated one?"

It doesn't seem like they're doing anything majorly different with it :shrug: I'd be interested if they were trying to shake things up in how they handle the story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Well, it's 40 minutes longer than the animated version, so they've apparently added A LOT.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

FirstAidKite posted:

It doesn't seem like they're doing anything majorly different with it :shrug: I'd be interested if they were trying to shake things up in how they handle the story.

:yeah:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm never gonna see it because I don't have any interest in seeing it, but based on the trailer I saw before Lego Batman (what a good movie that was, btw), I'm mostly just left wondering "why are they doing this in live action if they're just going to mostly copy the animated one?"

Gender-swap Belle into the male equivalent, out to escape a domineering gender-swapped Gaston's attempts to ensnare him into a forced marriage.

Also, Beast remains a beast.

Wrap, print, savor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

The reactions to all of this are incredibly hostile.

That's not too surprising. Every place keeps going on about omg it's Disney's first openly gay character go Disney!!! Except that the character is the lackey of one of the grosser Disney villians and if he's anything like the animated version he's mostly a joke character. I'm not gay so I can't really comment on how the gay community feels about it, I've just seen this response on twitter a lot from gay people I follow. I think it's more people are more annoyed at everyone patting Disney on the pack for this than the actual character itself

edit: That's on top of the movie looking like an utter pile of poo poo garbage

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LeJackal posted:

Gender-swap Belle into the male equivalent, out to escape a domineering gender-swapped Gaston's attempts to ensnare him into a forced marriage.

Wrap, print, savor.

Instead, a version where Gaston gets locked up and learns to be a decent human being after seeing what he could potentially become in The Beast

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Let's go the whole nine yards: Gaston barrels in to save Belle, Belle and Beast have just been chilling together all this time, Belle shows Gaston that Beast is actually a cool dude, like really cool, Gaston and Beast end up together and Belle is the hero for saving Beast with the power of true friendship and finding him true love.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Then Gaston and the Beast do it :getin:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Let's go the whole nine yards: Gaston barrels in to save Belle, Belle and Beast have just been chilling together all this time, Belle shows Gaston that Beast is actually a cool dude, like really cool, Gaston and Beast end up together and Belle is the hero for saving Beast with the power of true friendship and finding him true love.

No stop....

Hedrigall posted:

No no no my screenplay........ :negative:

*puts script in trash, unoriginal*

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Hedrigall posted:

For the whole extra 40 mins of screen time. Just going at it nonstop.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Given that they said LeFou gets his own happily-ever-after ending, I'm just assuming that the extra forty minutes are Belle, the Beast, and all of the servants planning and then throwing an extravagant wedding for LeFou and Gaston*.

*In this version, instead of falling from the tower and dying, Gaston falls...in love!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FirstAidKite posted:

Based on Cinderella and The Jungle Book, the MO so far has been adding in a bunch of new content, but making sure to hit all the main points from the old one. That way they can press everyone's nostalgia buttons and have the movie still be a reasonable length for a blockbuster.

LeJackal posted:

This is basically what they did with The Jungle Book.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So far, all of the 'changes' as revealed really just come down to more exposition: the enchantment upon Beast always applied to the castle/servants, but now it's explicit; LeFou was always a queer-coded sycophant, but now he's explicitly homosexual; etc.

Most of that extra 40-minutes is gonna be photographs of characters talking with pathos - especially Belle, because she's the phallic-mouthpiece of the film's themes. Some of it will be, like, making the fight with the wolves 'more epic' or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should remake beauty and the beast but its a stable timeloop story where Gaston is both the cursed prince and the Beast and Belle is both his lover and the witch.

Later I will write 10,000 words about how this relates to post cold war Belarus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

This is basically what they did with The Jungle Book.

in that case it's both true to the source material (well, more or less, in a shorthand kind of way) and also really cool and good

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Barudak posted:

They should remake beauty and the beast but its a stable timeloop story where Gaston is both the cursed prince and the Beast and Belle is both his lover and the witch.

I agree: they should make the remake more like the Cocteau film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still really don't like how the "live action" Disney films look, with my sole exception being Cinderella because there's not a ton of the weird uncanny valley poo poo like there are in the others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The_Doctor posted:

For the whole extra 40 mins of screen time. Just going at it nonstop.

It's gotta have full penetration. And maybe can we get Dolph Lundgren as Gaston?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What role does the Ghost of Walt play in all of this, though?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

I still really don't like how the "live action" Disney films look, with my sole exception being Cinderella because there's not a ton of the weird uncanny valley poo poo like there are in the others.

Was Cinderella any good? Did it bring anything new to the table over the cartoon from way back? I say a few gifs of it and it looked rather pretty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drifter posted:

Was Cinderella any good? Did it bring anything new to the table over the cartoon from way back? I say a few gifs of it and it looked rather pretty.

I'm a big fan, and definitely. It's not one of the ones where they chaaaanged a bunch of things, it was more adding depth to what was going on. Good film.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In other news, there were some great Hexxus cels on eBay (I think there's one left) and I eventually decided on this one, so hello new villain cel!

I love Kathy Zielinski's work so I'm super stoked to finally have something she worked on.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I can't think about anything but DuckTales.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I believe it's FernGully

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think David Tennant's voice is too young and light for Scrooge McDuck. They should have got Peter Capaldi.

Also, the animation looks really.. pale. Where's the dark richness Disney animation used to have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

The_Doctor posted:

I think David Tennant's voice is too young and light for Scrooge McDuck. They should have got Peter Capaldi.

Also, the animation looks really.. pale. Where's the dark richness Disney animation used to have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

I think it looks fun!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Macaluso posted:

That's not too surprising. Every place keeps going on about omg it's Disney's first openly gay character go Disney!!! Except that the character is the lackey of one of the grosser Disney villians and if he's anything like the animated version he's mostly a joke character. I'm not gay so I can't really comment on how the gay community feels about it, I've just seen this response on twitter a lot from gay people I follow. I think it's more people are more annoyed at everyone patting Disney on the pack for this than the actual character itself

edit: That's on top of the movie looking like an utter pile of poo poo garbage

Yeah. If feels particularly egregious, because for all their talk of having a "gay moment" (whatever that mean), from all the material released so far, it doesn't look like it's actually doing anything different from the gay coding of villains done in the past (and in usually a much more classy manner) a la Scar, Jafar, and Ratigan. And since at least two of those guys were much more intelligent and charming than Le Fou (which means "crazy," I remind) anyway... this doesn't feel like a step up, exactly. A pink bow? Seriously?

So I probably won't see the movie because of Josh Gad. If I see the movie, it will be to see what Emma Watson can do with a character that was pretty much a cipher* in the animated movie... and because I want to see if the Beast and his relationships with people have changed. I was given some hope by the rose in the trailers, because that's from the original fairy tale, but it does look like they're cleaving close to what happens in the 1990 movie, which kinda makes me sad since there was not enough difference drawn between the Beast and Gaston for my taste. Oh, there was a difference, of course: both are portrayed initially as ravening beasts who only see Belle as a means to an end and want to trap her in a reductionist role to serve that end, but only one is willing to whip up a mob and kill people to do it.**

* Seriously, who is Belle? What does she want to do; what is her arc? The only traits that the movie ascribed to her was "likes books" and "wants adventure", without actually describing what adventure means in this instance. Is it travelling the world? Starting her own business somewhere? In fact, the only thing she does that indicates a particular intelligence is dressing the Beast's wounds, and that falls under the same feminine auspice that was "allowed" at the time; we aren't shown that she is actually smart, we are told so. Jasmine from Aladdin suffers from much the same problem, having only the trait of "not wanting to marry someone she didn't choose" as any sort of character, which is a step back if anything- such a character isn't a character, it's a polemic against arranged marriage.
** Well, okay, there are some discernible positive character changes that can be noticed in the Beast's character journey. But the change is too abrupt to be believable to me: first he's horrible to Belle, then they save each other's lives, after which everything is great? That's not enough of a contrast with Gaston to really bring home the point that the movie was very obviously going for (outward appearances don't matter); remember, in the original fairy tale, the Beast was nothing but absolutely polite and kind to Belle, he just forbade her to leave and didn't show himself- Belle had to find out that he was a Beast at all, which is a heck of a lot more agency than Belle ever got in the movie. I'm not saying that the Beast had to be absolutely nice, but there should have been something besides being a furry Gaston to get Belle to want to stay. Besides, it's always bothered me that the Beast never apologizes on-screen to Belle for his actions, for hurting Maurice or Belle's own imprisonment- the apology is meant to be implied by the wolf attack, and then the whole giving the library to her later, and Bell accepts it as such. Don't like that: an apology is an apology, is saying "I'm sorry," or it's not an apology, it's a distraction from the issue... and going through personal suffering or loss doesn't cut it, and shouldn't, and it is a disservice to say otherwise, particularly in a movie for children ("Hey Kids! if you mess up really bad, you don't have to say you're sorry: just get really hurt saving a life and shower people with presents, and you're golden!")

e: drat, thought I fixed that...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What 1996 movie :colbert:.