Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The Walrus posted:

early shrine quest question hateno fort

the dude in there gives you a clue about piercing a statue's gaze, but I can't find the statue to shoot with an arrow. assuming its something obvious I'm missing? Also while I'm asking questions has anyone found the treasure from the quest in the stable south of kakariko? I'm assuming it's in the mountains above that waterfall right there but I couldn't spot the cave after looking around a bunch

There's a creepy graveyard thing full of statues a little bit further east -- kind of in a path going into a valley off the main one you're on. To the north of the main path you're following towards the next town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

some journal entries in Hyrule Castle actually finally explain why Link doesn't speak

it's because he's an rear end in a top hat fed up with everyone heaping their problems on him and he just wants to eat things and fight

hell, me too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

my brain's broken so it bothers me that i'm not constantly pressing a to roll while moving in a 3d zelda game but other than that gameMs fuckin so bomb!!
between it being Zelda and having played a lot of Dark Souls in the last few years it's really loving me up that you can't roll at all even in combat

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
1. The towns are the best. Every town is loving gorgeous at night during rainstorms, with all the inviting warm lights shining through the squall and downpour. It's like.. my happy place

2. There's a shrine earlyish into the post-Plateau plot (if you follow the main story quest), which involves gliding and wind. I can't figure out how to get the drat chest on the solitary platform :argh: Anyone do this yet?

3. Minor-ish gameplay/enemy/geographical spoilers to do with the lead up to the Zora-related dungeon (but no story or dungeon spoilers): The run up Zora River was like a dungeon's worth of combat, and an absolutely amazing set piece. Heading along the twisty path through the pouring rain and fighting Lizalfos and Wizzrobes was amazing, reading the bits of lore inscribed on walls along the way was cool, then reaching the end and seeing Zora's Domain... holy crap that's impressive. It may be my new favourite location in any Zelda game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
4. The Zora prince is hot af

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

There's a creepy graveyard thing full of statues a little bit further east -- kind of in a path going into a valley off the main one you're on. To the north of the main path you're following towards the next town.

oh cool thanks, I ended up taking the southern path to hateno through that bobokin camp across the river from what I think you're talking about. this game is so huge it boggles the mind.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

1. The towns are the best. Every town is loving gorgeous at night during rainstorms, with all the inviting warm lights shining through the squall and downpour. It's like.. my happy place

ya. getting the clothes shop guy to give me a tour in the rain, which he reacted to and commented on, was the best.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Dear FedEx,

Please come soon. I need you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My tracker hasn't updated in almost 7 hours when it said "ready for delivery" i.e. at the delivery office but not in a van and it closes in 2 minutes hahahahaha gently caress

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

🔥*HOT* :GAMER TIP the spherical bombs and the cuboidal bombs have diffrnt cooldowns, switch to the other type and u don't have to wait. well that was my hot gamer tip, bombs away gamers!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Does the Day 1 Patch for the Wii U version help with the various slow downs?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BexGu posted:

yeah

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

BexGu posted:

The games are almost identical other than resolution wise. The day 1 patches are identical too, they do improve the framerate but in villages and heavy weather effects + explosions you might still experience some slowdowns.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

:yeah:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't you hate when more than one Keese come for you at once?

http://i.imgur.com/6paDJNf.jpg

(Mild enemy spoiler)

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

🔥*HOT* :GAMER TIP the spherical bombs and the cuboidal bombs have diffrnt cooldowns, switch to the other type and u don't have to wait. well that was my hot gamer tip, bombs away gamers!

Legit goddamn ProTip right there, as was done in days of old

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Everything about this game screams 'it's like Dragon's Dogma except Zelda', am I far off?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Everything about this game screams 'it's like Dragon's Dogma except Zelda', am I far off?
er, yeah, kind of. It's an open world and you can climb on things (the opposite of DD on that one; you can climb absolutely any scenery but not any enemies as far as I've seen), that's about it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Dodongos are weak to smoke!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

er, yeah, kind of. It's an open world and you can climb on things (the opposite of DD on that one; you can climb absolutely any scenery but not any enemies as far as I've seen), that's about it

Good cause those are the parts of DD I liked :laugh:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

RCarr posted:

ITS MOTHERFUCKING ZELDA DAY BITCHES

I can't wait for my Switch to arrive! :):)

Mine hasn't even shipped yet and it's supposed to arrive today.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So did anyone beat Ganon immediately or is that not actually possible?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

it's possible. I went straight to the final dungeon and sneaked/ran/climbed all the way through it to the first non-skippable boss (being vague but it's definitely a climactic part), but could only get him down to half health before I ran out of bomb arrows and he OHKO'd me. There are definitely more after him but there's no reason to assume that someone better than me couldn't also take them out.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teva6O6JK_M

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Hedrigall posted:

Don't you hate when more than one Keese come for you at once?

http://i.imgur.com/6paDJNf.jpg

(Mild enemy spoiler)

I ran from a group of that early on. THEN A SECOND GROUP FLEW BY AND TURNED INTO ONE MASSIVE GROUP SET TO KILL ME.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well that's pretty cool then! I thought they were bullshitting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Well that's pretty cool then! I thought they were bullshitting.
It's really impressive. I went straight to the castle because I have brain problems but it proved just how dedicated they were to the whole approaching it your own way thing; I died a lot, of course, but I was avoiding whole combat encounters, puzzles, even minibosses just by carefully sneaking around and seeking alternative paths. Not a single forced encounter or set-piece right up to the to of the castle. It's made me all the more excited for the rest of the game and for returning when I'm powerful enough to actually take on the fights.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

snoremac posted:

I love my Skyrim GTA Portal Deus Ex SotC Pokemon Snap Zelda.

:yeah:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hedrigall posted:

2. There's a shrine earlyish into the post-Plateau plot (if you follow the main story quest), which involves gliding and wind. I can't figure out how to get the drat chest on the solitary platform :argh: Anyone do this yet?

I just rode the draft until close and hard banked right. He hit the side and kicked himself up....eventually. I don't know if the loot is randomized, but I got a climbing bandana from it that made everything worth it.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you go right to the summit of the cold mountain he gives you the itchy shirt as a reward for getting up there without freezing. I just made it up by cooking some hot food and chugging it on the way up.

I wonder how many people will find that, or the fact you can show him the rediscovered recipe from the log cabin to get a cold weather shirt.

e: Really there is a metric fuckton of stuff just on the plateau, and then I look at the map and Jesus it's so big.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 3, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I bought this on the Wii U e-shop at 12:02am with no issue at all. The download wasn't fast, but downloading digital games from Nintendo never is. This morning, when I woke up, I went downstairs to see the opening, but the update took 22 minutes to install, so all I really got to do is walk down a hill and talk to a guy. Thank goodness you can save everywhere.

I'm working until 3. I have no plans for the weekend. Next week I am on-call for jury duty. I wonder how much of this I can get done...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got the climbing bandana from the shrine in the path between the duelling peaks, hm. Wonder if it's a guaranteed drop from one of your first shrines, it seems way too good a QoL improvement to be random even if it does make Link look like David Foster Wallace

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ugh Nintendo internet so slow

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I got the climbing bandana from the shrine in the path between the duelling peaks, hm. Wonder if it's a guaranteed drop from one of your first shrines, it seems way too good a QoL improvement to be random even if it does make Link look like David Foster Wallace

I hate that ugly thing but i cant not wear that, I live to climb.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Blighttown was just old fashioned bad programming, BOTW seems easily fixable. It's telling that the handheld mode has no problems at all despite having the same draw distances, grass, etc.

Great game though. It's a little thing but I love the brief slo-mo when you whack things, it makes the combat feel wonderful. I remember this from OoT way back in my childhood. So great. One of the little Zelda touches you wonder why nobody else has copied it.

bodes well for me since I plan on playing 90% of the time just on the wiiu gamepad

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Keiya posted:

Mine hasn't even shipped yet and it's supposed to arrive today.

Is this through Amazon? It says I will get mine today and it hasn't shipped either. I do live less than an hour from an Amazon Fulfillment Center, so I'm hoping that's why.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

It'll be interesting to watch the speedrun time drop from 1:30 steadily over the next several months.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is fuckin' bananas. Like, every stupid idea I come up with for tackling an encounter or puzzle ends up working because the systems are so layered and intuitive. People are going gaga over map size but the genius of what Nintendo has done here is in the balls to the wall physics, etc. Everything works like you think it should.

I don't have a WiiU, so I feel pretty justified in having picked up a Switch just for this. Also Mario, since that will presumably also be amazing.

It really says something that I've put Horizon to the side for a bit, because that game is also amazing. Zelda is just on another level though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is this game good enough for me to hunt down a switch today?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hate that ugly thing but i cant not wear that, I live to climb.

Climbing bandana? Do items give/change abilities? This is the longest two weeks if my lifer until I can play this. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is going to be a long goddamn day at work