Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cephas posted:

it's a shame because Shouta-kun's design is pretty adorable, and he would probably get along well with Kana and her giant-foreheaded friend, but he's stuck in giant Aztec titties hell.

Huh, I never realized how much I'd like to see Shota-kun interacting with the rest of the cast; it would also be a good way to grow their dynamic from where it is now. Shota being in exile from everyone else also is probably another reason I feel like his bits are from an alternate universe where the same comic got adapted, but in that world it went more toward the gag based ecchi comedy side than the endearing slice-of-dragon-life side of its parent property.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Like, I dunno. Tohru's laser beams have basically always been framed as a source of comedy and never treated seriously, even when it blows apart the house everything is fixed in an instant. Even in that scene it sends Elma spiralling off into the night sky like a cartoon villain, rather than it being a lethal and dangerous weapon.

I don't think they portrayed Kobayashi as ever being in any danger, so it didn't really bother me that they brushed over it.

I think the laser beam maybe was meant to be another small detail to show how Kobayashi and Tohru have grown closer and more in sync, to the point where Kobayashi can sense the beam almost psychically, and Tohru knows she will so she just goes for it. I'm sure it was mostly just a way to make the shot more visually dynamic, and the laser has always been slapstick, but I can see how that kind of thing would bother people at the same time.

I really appreciated we got to see an anime couple get far elong enough in their relationship to have actual couple problems, and it warmed my heart to know even perfect dragon families have their arguments. If from now on Tohru starts talking to Kobayashi more directly, or Kobayashi is more actively affectionate, I'll die of happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
http://maidragon.jp/story/episode.php#9

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

OL dragon is ... good.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Episode should have ended with Kobayashi smoking lower torso after Touru obliterated her.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I didn't think the final scene meant us to empathise with Tohru's being selfish - the way she delivered the line read to me as apologetic, that she knew she shouldn't lash out at Elma like she did, but she's just having difficulty expressing the depth of her feelings for Kobayashi. Kobayashi then comforts her by opening up about her own uncertainties or vulnerabilities.

Between Elma not being seriously hurt and the fact that nothing about Kobayashi and Tohru's previous interactions really reads as abusive to me, I didn't really get that angle out of Kobayashi having to duck under Tohru's breath. ...But that's a read that seems like it depends greatly on personal experience, so I can't really fault anyone who feels different.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cephas posted:

giant Aztec titties hell.

these words dont make sense together

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It should just be titty hell, not titties hell.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Embrace the tity

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Beasteh posted:

Embrace the tity

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Beasteh posted:

Embrace the tity

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So as far as reading too much into things goes, wasn't the shot of Kobayashi and Tohru's legs near the end framed like they were kissing off-screen, complete with Kobayashi on her tip-toes to reach?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No kissing in kyoani shows.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

chumbler posted:

No kissing in kyoani shows.

Aren't they finishing FMP later this year, though?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Sandman posted:

So as far as reading too much into things goes, wasn't the shot of Kobayashi and Tohru's legs near the end framed like they were kissing off-screen, complete with Kobayashi on her tip-toes to reach?

Yeah. It's funny how this show can be at once very chaste like that, but also had E. Honda titty slaps just moments before.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space Flower posted:

Better to reign in hell

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Sandman posted:

Aren't they finishing FMP later this year, though?

they're not involved with the new fmp

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/pikomarie_pzdr/status/837268816958636032

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Spiritus Nox posted:

I didn't think the final scene meant us to empathise with Tohru's being selfish - the way she delivered the line read to me as apologetic, that she knew she shouldn't lash out at Elma like she did, but she's just having difficulty expressing the depth of her feelings for Kobayashi. Kobayashi then comforts her by opening up about her own uncertainties or vulnerabilities.

Between Elma not being seriously hurt and the fact that nothing about Kobayashi and Tohru's previous interactions really reads as abusive to me, I didn't really get that angle out of Kobayashi having to duck under Tohru's breath. ...But that's a read that seems like it depends greatly on personal experience, so I can't really fault anyone who feels different.

I don't get how people are getting abusive out of the scene either. Kobayashi never explained that Elma was working at her office, which is why they spent time together. Tohru has been pretty consistently insecure when it comes to Kobayashi and it makes sense for her to panic if she thinks another dragon is somehow stealing her away.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Tohru is a good dragon who is on her best behavior. :colbert:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nuebot posted:

I don't get how people are getting abusive out of the scene either. Kobayashi never explained that Elma was working at her office, which is why they spent time together. Tohru has been pretty consistently insecure when it comes to Kobayashi and it makes sense for her to panic if she thinks another dragon is somehow stealing her away.

Unlike previous scenes kobayashi ducks in apparent fear and the power imbalance between a dragon and human embodied in a destructobeam creates a metaphor for say, perhaps, a gun

I'm glad most people didn't read the scene that way

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nuebot posted:

People are getting it from personal experiences that relate to what happened in the show. So I mean yeah you can see it your way, but I'm not gonna discount people who have had actual abusive relationships with similar situations or dynamics play out. The posts about it have been pretty up front that they're coming from a specific and personal place, so it's not meant to be a general criticism of the episode or show.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

UberJew posted:

Unlike previous scenes kobayashi ducks in apparent fear and the power imbalance between a dragon and human embodied in a destructobeam creates a metaphor for say, perhaps, a gun
:(

For what it's worth it did kind of strike me as a weird situation. The way kobayashi is generally taciturn made it a little hard to tell whether it was her being used to the cartoonish bizarro dragon stuff or just putting up with it, but i'd hazard a guess that Kyoani is trying to go for the 'oddball people making it together' angle.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 4, 2017

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

It's kind of interesting because in the shots leading up to the duck, kobayashi looks like she's off to the side, so a straight shot at elma would have bypassed her without needing to duck. Though I guess it was just a camera angles thing.

UberJew posted:

Not to say it couldn't be read that way, but it's worth noting that guns are not even remotely household items in Japan, so there's not really a connection between them and DV culturally like there is in a place like say the US. They may or may not have been shooting for the DV angle intentionally, but either way I doubt "gun metaphor" ever crossed their minds.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nightea/status/837884548809568257

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://my.mixtape.moe/kjmskq.webm

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

So... Bad... :suicide:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/sakuraibr/status/835653349215203330

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Please tell me that's a joke dub

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

:vince:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

please don't post fandubs unmarked

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
"This adorable child's voice isn't obnoxious enough. We can do better"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

that line doesn't even remotely fit in the scene what why

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Has to be fake. There was no "But I am in fact not gay."

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

This is utterly unacceptable.

This is funny.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
no. bad.

Comrade Kirov
Sep 12, 2012

Well that's just on a new level innit... It's a fake one right, it's not the actual dub?

It's the quality of joke lines we've writen...

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fwiw their dumb gamergate line in the Prison School dub got changed between streaming and disc, but that kicked up quite a bit of controversy. dunno how much of that is happening with the dumb decisions in this dub though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Colonel posted:

that line doesn't even remotely fit in the scene what why

that's p much exactly what she says in the original too tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

that's p much exactly what she says in the original too tho?

Slutshaming?

• Locked thread