Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Donut posted:

Would anybody like me to post a rant I've written about the Prison Service? (I work in the Prison Service and it might go some way to explain why staff have been on strike in the past and why future strikes/voluntarily withdrawing labour are probably inevitable unless Liz Truss/Conservatives get their poo poo together).

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was watching some of the election coverage on the BBC site earlier and all I can say is that I never thought I would feel sorry for Jeffrey Donaldson but Martina Anderson found a way.

It absolutely floors me that unionists are still voting DUP after what's happened. I feel like the ghost of Ian Paisley could turn up in their houses and shoot a photo of the Queen and they'd still vote DUP regardless.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not when the idiot hell fuckers voted to leave, it isn't.

Why shouldn't they have expected the current level of support to be continued outside the EU?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

It absolutely floors me that unionists are still voting DUP after what's happened. I feel like the ghost of Ian Paisley could turn up in their houses and shoot a photo of the Queen and they'd still vote DUP regardless.

Well, it's basically the same as the American Republicans who expressed distaste for Donald Trump all the way through the campaign but voted for him anyway, because no matter how much they disliked him, at least he isn't a Democrat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

Why shouldn't they have expected the current level of support to be continued outside the EU?

Because the whole reason they got those grants is because the UK Government was unwilling or unable to pay them? Why the gently caress should they be insulated from the consequences of their choice while the rest of us are going over the loving cliff?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Breath Ray posted:

Because the Leave campaign told them it would.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Disclaimer: I currently work in the Prison Service and have done since 2015 as an operational (uniformed) member of staff. Currently on night shift so I'm well aware this isn't as well written as it could be.

I'm just going to go on a bit of a rant about the state of the prison service.

There was a significant loss in the number of frontline operational staff back in 2011. This was mostly experienced members of staff. Around the same time, there was the introduction of what was called 'Fair & Sustainable'. This was the introduction of new contracts for new operational staff. These new staff were offered pay significantly less than what they would have previously received. In addition there were changes made to pensions (having to work longer for less pay). All as a result of the policies of austerity.

At the same time, various other parts of the Prison Service were privatised / contracted out. Our works department for example (works being the maintenance staff, fixing all sorts of electrical, plumbing issues etc.). One of the first things this company did when they took over was reduce the number of staff from about 40 odd down to 12 and change the way they perform maintenance. No longer do they simply go out and fix things that need fixing (how they used to operate as it was their job) but now they have to wait for us to phone in or e-mail (even though they are based on site!) so we can receive a log number which the works' staff then use to determine priority and deal with. So, no longer are they simply going out and doing their job fixing things, they have to wait, be given log numbers, priorities etc. And because of their lack of staff we have problems which have been going back months which nobody seriously expects to ever be sorted. We haven't had hot water in one of our toilets since I've worked here. All because of austerity policies.

We have had open recruitment for operational staff for as long as I have been working in the prison service. Liz Truss stating she will recruit 2500 new officers is meaningless because we were already trying to recruit, she is doing nothing new! The problem is and has always been retaining staff.

Throughout the prison service the main issue is safety. This is as a direct result of cutting down the numbers of frontline (often highly experienced) operational staff. There was also a change to the regime within prisons, where management / NOMS / Government (?) came up with the idea that you can run certain regimes at certain prisons with what is essentially a skeleton crew. In practice what this means is you can have a handful of prison officers having to deal with 100 - 300 prisoners. Due to the loss of experienced staff, these could be relatively new and incredibly inexperienced staff with no real understanding of how to de-escalate situations. In addition, due to the loss of experienced staff, you might find yourself going into situations with even fewer staff than you need - all to make the regime work and to appease management (because, if you're new, you don't know any better).

Would you want to work in an environment where you were routinely assaulted, with very little backup and where management don't give a poo poo about you? Where the blame would be placed on you for going into a situation under staffed - all because you were trying to do the right thing and make it work? Where, if you suffer a serious injury due to the poor regime and lack of support or training, due to recent changes you will more than likely not get a pay out or not be medically retired and instead be asked when you can come back into work? Oh what's that, your jaw is broken? So you're coming back into work on light duties in a week or two? Would you like to work in an environment where prisoners were routinely self-harming with very little support to deal with them? With very little meaningful intervention? It's no wonder the service can't retain staff.

Understaffed prisons leads to extra stresses and pressures on existing staff. Working yourself sick? What's that? Sickness isn't allowed? Unfortunately, the sickness policy throughout the prison service treats staff like poo poo. The current official policy is; if you take 8 days off sick throughout a rolling 12 month period you can be fired at the disgression of the governor. Oh and chemotherapy is not seen as a valid reason to be off work. In practice, at least at my prison, if you take a day off sick you are hounded by the governors and told if you take another day off you'll be fired, told you're wasting taxpayers money etc.

The recent offer of increasing the starting salary of new officers at 31 prisons is really poorly thought through and only seems to make sense if you see it as an opportunity to achieve that goal of getting 2500 new officers recruited. It's not designed to improve the prison service but is only designed to achieve a political goal for Liz Truss. The prison service needs significant and more meaningful reform but it certainly isn't going to get it under a Conservative government nor under Liz Truss (who bleats in Parliament about introducing new 'anti drone technology' - barking dogs - which apparently the prison service didn't have before and which apparently is super effective at deterring drones and drone pilots).

The Donut fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 3, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be nice if we could start having people with actual legal qualifications as Justice Secretaries again.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/02/home-ownership-in-england-at-a-30-year-low-official-figures-show

quote:

Home ownership in England has fallen to its lowest level for 30 years, while the number of people privately renting is now higher than in the early 1960s, according to official figures.
Government data reveals that the private rented sector has doubled in size since 2004, with almost half of all people in England aged 25 to 34 paying a private landlord for their accommodation.
The latest English Housing Survey, produced by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG), found that of the estimated 22.8m households in England, 14.3m – or 62.9% – were owner-occupiers in 2015-16.
It stated that owner-occupation rates “remain unchanged for the third year in a row” – but Labour and others were quick to seize on an accompanying table, which showed that the rate had slipped from 63.6% the previous year. This is down from a peak of 70.9% in 2003 and is the lowest figure since 1985, when it was 62.4%.
By contrast, the private rented sector has ballooned in size and now accounted for just over 4.5m households – double the 2.3m in 2004. The new figure represents 20% of the total, whereas in 2002 it was 10%.
Separate government data shows there were 4.377m private rented households in England in 1961.
The English Housing Survey said that, while younger people had always been over-represented in the private rented sector, over the past decade the increase “has been particularly pronounced”. In 2005-06, 24% of those aged 25-34 were privately renting. This figure has now leapt to 46%.
Over the same period, the percentage of those in this age group buying a home with a mortgage plummeted, from 53% to 35%.
It also emerged that levels of overcrowding as measured by the so-called “bedroom standard” have increased in the social rented sector. At the same time, the proportion of homes judged to be “under-occupied” that were owned by the person living there had risen from 39% (5.3m households) in 1995-96 to 52% (7.4m households) now.
The report also provided fresh evidence that, for those who can afford to buy, the traditional 25-year mortgage may be on the way out. It found that almost all first-time buyers had taken out a repayment mortgage, and that 40% had signed up for a home loan lasting 30 years or more. The average age of a first-time buyer now is 32, up from 31 in 2005-06.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

It would be nice if we could start having people with actual legal qualifications as Justice Secretaries again.

Only a blithering idiot with a case of unwarranted self-importance that is remarkable even by career politician standards would take the role since it was split out from the Home Office. It's probably the hardest job (politically) in Government - every fuckup by Plod, the Prison Service, the Probation Service, and the local park wardens is laid at your door while any improvements you make in them are either nicked by the Home. Sec. and PM or decried in the red-tops as NOT BEING TOUGH ENOUGH ON CRIMS.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Make her father Justice Secretary.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The SDLP has made a rights balls up of this. Finishing fourth on first preferences in south down, getting in last in mid ulster and SF topping the vote in Foyle by a huge margin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Only a blithering idiot with a case of unwarranted self-importance that is remarkable even by career politician standards would take the role since it was split out from the Home Office.
I agree, May should have left Gove there.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

kustomkarkommando posted:

The SDLP has made a rights balls up of this. Finishing fourth on first preferences in south down, getting in last in mid ulster and SF topping the vote in Foyle by a huge margin

This is bad for Corbyn

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, that's the problem the SDLP and the UUP have both had for close to 10 years - what can they offer their core constituents that Sinn Fein and the DUP can't?

I voted for Farry first then the UUP guys second and third (and I can't remember who came next - I think Agnew must have been in there somewhere and I know I didn't vote for the Shinner, not that they'd have a snowball's chance in North Down in any event) but they're at the point where both parties might as well pack it in.

They want to be the opposition but to be frank Jim loving Allister did a better job of that in the last Assembly, and I anticipate Long could in this one.

MikeCrotch posted:

This is bad for Corbyn

His party is winning at the moment, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

This is bad for Corbyn

Nah, it'll be nice for him to have some political allies winning an election for once.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because the whole reason they got those grants is because the UK Government was unwilling or unable to pay them? Why the gently caress should they be insulated from the consequences of their choice while the rest of us are going over the loving cliff?

We cannot know whether that is the reason they got those grants. Strange that some ppl think only the best of the EU with all the damage it's caused.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

They never made a particularly strong case for themselves other than being "not SF". If you fail to inspire the electorate you will do poorly

I hope someone can produce a version of this, but with Gerry Adams instead of Jeb!

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

What are you trying to say here

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, that's the problem the SDLP and the UUP have both had for close to 10 years - what can they offer their core constituents that Sinn Fein and the DUP can't?

I voted for Farry first then the UUP guys second and third (and I can't remember who came next - I think Agnew must have been in there somewhere and I know I didn't vote for the Shinner, not that they'd have a snowball's chance in North Down in any event) but they're at the point where both parties might as well pack it in.

They want to be the opposition but to be frank Jim loving Allister did a better job of that in the last Assembly, and I anticipate Long could in this one.

I thought Eastwood had done a better job as leader than anyone post-Hume and may of at least held their bases, as someone from Derry seeing SF break through the old defences here raises an eyebrow.

Are we sure Sugden is coming back? She didn't seem so keen about it and I can see Long taking Justice to check SF/DUP after the opposition got walked over

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Are we sure Sugden is coming back? She didn't seem so keen about it and I can see Long taking Justice to check SF/DUP after the opposition got walked over

She was on the BBC live feed last time I check it saying she was confident she'd get the transfers and that's she'd be willing to take the Justice brief back if asked so she could "finish the job".

I'm not looking forward to Monday at this point. I reckon things are going to get pretty messy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

That the leave campaign claimed the excess funds available from leaving the EU would go to the NHS instead.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ryxnf/status/837711835918893057

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Party Boat posted:

That the leave campaign claimed the excess funds available from leaving the EU would go to the NHS instead.

It's more that they suggested that they could go to the NHS.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hahahaha they actually try to shout down a little girl

guillotine

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

He's saying that Cornwall voted to spend all the money the UK sends to the EU - which is how Cornwall gets its EU funding - on the NHS instead.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lmao

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Breath Ray posted:

Would be fascinating to see what liz kendal would have achieved by this time. The food news for liz is that we now have a trailblazing childless woman PM so she will make a great alternative

We'd have had 2 years of pitiful timidity, bland soundbites delivered by robots in suits and extraordinarily contorted triangulations on every conceivable issue.

And Labour's standing in the polls would probably be better than where it is now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pistol_Pete posted:

We'd have had 2 years of pitiful timidity, bland soundbites delivered by robots in suits and extraordinarily contorted triangulations on every conceivable issue.

Instead of the strong, clear, bold leadership labour has now?

I see.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Russia Today are good people.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Party Boat posted:

So what

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

So that's why they shouldn't expect the thing they successfully voted for to not happen.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

oh my :eyepop:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

We cannot know whether that is the reason they got those grants. Strange that some ppl think only the best of the EU with all the damage it's caused.

Pretty much everyone in this country is going to be damaged by us leaving the EU. I repeat, why should an area that voted overwhelmingly to leave *even though nobody promised them that the structural grants would be covered* be insulated from that?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Some good news. The Government has dropped plans to allow local authorities to opt out of every child protection law of the last century from Children and Social Work Bill.

Guess the various companies that they are trying to sell all the Social services to have started to baulk at it. This is something that most aren't aware of as its getting almost no press, but most Social services departments are working to being merged (LA's being merged together specifically) and privatised within the next few years. Its in part why they are trying to avoid putting any money in to it, as they want to flog it off, but by all accounts nobody is really interested in taking them on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

She should've hit him over his head with that sword.

Would be even funnier.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'll go one further in fact - with a couple of exceptions the UK Government has spent nigh-on 40 years making life considerably harder for Cornish people (rural people in general but the South West and Wales in particular) through economic and social policies that overwhelmingly favour the South East. Literally the only reason Liskeard, for example, has any economic life beyond selling food to people on their way to their holiday homes is because of the CAP and the structural funding.It's not like the EU was preventing these things happening, and nobody claimed for one second that HMG would replace the EU funding after a Leave vote. If anybody can be said to have gone into the referendum with their eyes open, it was the Cornish, and they still voted Leave.

I don't pick Liskeard randomly, by the way - it;s the site of the execrable Trago Mills whose founder was a founder of UKIP and a major regional figure in the Leave campaign. Without EU money he'd still be running a junk shop out of a shed. Why the gently caress should he and his followers (and I unfortunately include my own relatives in this) get more insulation from the impact of leaving the EU than I do?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So that's why they shouldn't expect the thing they successfully voted for to not happen.

they voted to opt out of eu funding and hmg can now make up the shortfall..if they even need funding now that the fishing industry can get off its knees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm afraid I don't really have a whole lot of sympathy, to be honest.

I don't have much sympathy for people who voted for Trump and are now dismayed that they're losing their health insurance either.

:shrug:

• Locked thread