Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

fwiw the files stolen in the watergate breakin were minor and played no role in nixon's '72 win
people are focusing on it as a major reason why the democrats lost instead of a tiny insignificant drop among many fundamental flaws with the democratic party causing them to lose heavily over the last 8 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

multiple things can be correct at the same time even if you don't acknowledge them all in the same breath

hosed up I know but it's true

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NPR and other liberal media news organizations are pushing this russian hysteria poo poo HEAVILY as a major factor in the democratic loss. it's pretty tame here in comparison.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Thoguh posted:

I thought the chair was a meaningless role. Why would anything change with him being named?

You know what the chair is beneath?

~...the Butt ...~

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

comedyblissoption posted:

people are focusing on it as a major reason why the democrats lost instead of a tiny insignificant drop among many fundamental flaws with the democratic party causing them to lose heavily over the last 8 years

by people you mean JeffersonClay

because i haven't seen anyone else do that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

NPR keeps interviewing female war criminals and telling us we need to demand women in combat NOW

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

the things that russia is alleged to have done to sway the election is so loving small it boggles my mind that the media and democrats are able to run with it and then a bunch of forums posters hear about it and wave the banner in earnest itt

Right because "Russia is intervening to help their puppet trump" wasn't a core element of Clinton's campaign strategy or anything. And the dumb subset of leftists mainlining Wikileaks didn't dismiss it as a bunch of redbaiting and evidence she wanted to start a nuclear war. No, this is all post-hoc excuse making.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

except for all of the people, just now, on the last couple of pages, who said that it was flaws and russian interference and a myriad of other things

so who are you smugging at?

who, that you could possibly be arguing with ITT, is saying that russian hacking was the major reason instead of just one of a lot of loving reasons

e: well, gently caress, jeffersonclay i guess

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gringostar posted:

by people you mean JeffersonClay

because i haven't seen anyone else do that

stay out of d&d

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It's as jesus said, the broke-brained shall inherit the earth

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I couldn't care less if Russia literally went to polling places and wrote TRUMP over anywhere it said "Hillary Clinton," that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about person after person in the Trump campaign and administration being revealed to have Russian ties while the administration moves to lift sanctions and tighten our relationship with a far-right dictatorship.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Oh Snapple! posted:

stay out of d&d

i only go there for third edition games :grin:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's JeffersonClay's fault basically

JeffersonClay posted:

If you're a leftist who thinks the Russian ratfucking didn't happen or didn't matter, and you want to have any sort of influence in the Democratic Party, take note. You probably don't have much more time to get on the right side of this issue. If you don't, the centrists are going to use it to lance you like a boil, and they will be right to do so.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if trump and all of his appointees are mired in russian collaboration scandal for his entire presidency that gives leftists all the time they need to reorganize the democratic party without the looming threat of fascism ticking away in the background. people in this thread should be all for it tbh

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

JeffersonClay posted:

Right because "Russia is intervening to help their puppet trump" wasn't a core element of Clinton's campaign strategy or anything. And the dumb subset of leftists mainlining Wikileaks didn't dismiss it as a bunch of redbaiting and evidence she wanted to start a nuclear war. No, this is all post-hoc excuse making.

Clinton lost because she's a dumbass piece of poo poo you retard, lol.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I couldn't care less if Russia literally went to polling places and wrote TRUMP over anywhere it said "Hillary Clinton," that doesn't mean I'm not concerned about person after person in the Trump campaign and administration being revealed to have Russian ties while the administration moves to lift sanctions and tighten our relationship with a far-right dictatorship.
I would be supremely concerned if trump's campaign or administration made quid pro quo deals with russians to influence the election even if what the russians ended up doing didn't matter at all in the slightest

so far these are completely all allegations

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

And the dumb subset of leftists mainlining Wikileaks didn't dismiss it as a bunch of redbaiting and evidence she wanted to start a nuclear war.

question: why exactly do you care so much what some anonymous internet person apparently said somewhere at some point in time

why is this a subject of current debate ITT

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Progressive takeover is coming any minute now but frankly my jaw is starting to hurt.

It's already happening in California.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

you know how trump will literally contort in any way possible to avoid saying a negative thing about putin or russia, to the point of even making GBS threads on the US itself if a particularly vile thing is brought up to him

that's jeffersonclay, just replace "putin or russia" with "clinton or centrism"

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Venuz Patrol posted:

if trump and all of his appointees are mired in russian collaboration scandal for his entire presidency that gives leftists all the time they need to reorganize the democratic party without the looming threat of fascism ticking away in the background. people in this thread should be all for it tbh

not only that it serves as a useful distraction for establishment dems to focus on while leftists can take over the party virtually unopposed

like... the russian poo poo is pretty much the best thing to happen for leftists given everything else

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Venuz Patrol posted:

States are hosed, yo. Governors are doing a bunch of terrible poo poo right now that isn't even getting mentioned because everybody is focused on Trump.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

actually the russian poo poo will be used as an excuse to try to not move the party anywhere progressive and not analyze the real reasons the democrats having been getting loving wiped out the past 8 years

all the liberal news media is analyzing the democratic loss in this way and not focusing on why they actually lost

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I would be supremely concerned if trump's campaign or administration made quid pro quo deals with russians to influence the election even if what the russians ended up doing didn't matter at all in the slightest

so far these are completely all allegations
I don't know if it was an election influence deal or not, or even if Russia actually hacked anything. I'm just saying there's obviously a relationship between Trump's administration and Russia that goes beyond normal diplomacy. We keep finding new ties. It could be as simple as Russia just having outsized personal influence with members of the administration, but that still isn't okay.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

actually the russian poo poo will be used as an excuse to try to not move the party anywhere progressive and not analyze the real reasons the democrats having been getting loving wiped out the past 8 years

This is my concern as well.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

D&D

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ah yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know if it was an election influence deal or not, or even if Russia actually hacked anything. I'm just saying there's obviously a relationship between Trump's administration and Russia that goes beyond normal diplomacy. We keep finding new ties. It could be as simple as Russia just having outsized personal influence with members of the administration, but that still isn't okay.

I don't really think anyone ITT would disagree with this in a straight up-or-down decision, the problem is that a lot of people have been using "RUSSIA" as a buzzword to mean "HILLARY DID NOTHING WRONG please stop criticizing Democrats"

like I said before, it's bad that so many high Trump officials are doing the dirty with Russia, and it's good that we can use this to take them down, and we need a continued focus on quality-assurance of the Democratic Party to return to relevance. All of these things at once.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

hell i

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

loquacius posted:

I don't really think anyone ITT would disagree with this in a straight up-or-down decision, the problem is that a lot of people have been using "RUSSIA" as a buzzword to mean "HILLARY DID NOTHING WRONG please stop criticizing Democrats"

like I said before, it's bad that so many high Trump officials are doing the dirty with Russia, and it's good that we can use this to take them down, and we need a continued focus on quality-assurance of the Democratic Party to return to relevance. All of these things at once.
Sure, I guess I just haven't seen those people. I don't follow internal Democratic politics/commentary that closely, so it seemed to me like everyone was fighting a strawman.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

why is this a subject of current debate ITT

It was in that vanity fair article you didn't like.

Oh Snapple! posted:

you know how trump will literally contort in any way possible to avoid saying a negative thing about putin or russia, to the point of even making GBS threads on the US itself if a particularly vile thing is brought up to him

that's jeffersonclay, just replace "putin or russia" with "clinton or centrism"

Clinton was a bad candidate who ran a bad campaign and she almost certainly would have won anyway if she hadn't gotten hosed by Comey and Putin.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

Clinton was a bad candidate who ran a bad campaign and she almost certainly would have won anyway if she hadn't gotten hosed by Comey and Putin.
this is what people actually believe

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
No Russia no Russia you're the russia

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Thoguh posted:

States are hosed, yo. Governors are doing a bunch of terrible poo poo right now that isn't even getting mentioned because everybody is focused on Trump.

thats a fair point, but im inclined to believe the media would be focusing on trump anyway, so i'd rather they focused on trump flailing than on trump getting anything done

election coverage will ramp up in 2018 but it probably won't cover the primaries in 2017/early 2018 as heavily, and those are what are going to be particularly important to the leftists. fortunately even if the journalists aren't interested, there's a lot of grass roots organizations building up candidates even as we speak

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No Russia No Goblins No Cummin

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

No Russia No Goblins No Cummin

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

all the liberal news media is analyzing the democratic loss in this way and not focusing on why they actually lost

Yes, that's literally Trump's argument.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

It was in that vanity fair article you didn't like.

*that bad vanity fair article I didn't like

ok, well, I can't believe I have to type this out, but: you can find stupid people saying stupid things on the Internet in defense of literally any opinion, including, yes, all of yours and all of mine; you and Vanity Fair need to spend less time handwringing over it

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gringostar posted:

susan saranson sucks hth

Your show sucks, Chris Hayes. https://youtu.be/jRiZRMLGjCY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

John goodman was a better president than Bartlett in the the like four days he was president

He was president too? He was a good king.

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

elected democrats are going to continue with the same promises and positions they were elected with. if you want a more progressive party, movement comes from new members. if seeing a tv report about putin really causes you to forget to vote in the 2018 primaries, you're too dumb to get what you want anyway

• Locked thread