Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IqH3uliwJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

This is a joke post right?

Not at all. I should be into this. I found the X-Men movies decent enough, found Jackman's Wolverine to be the best part of all of them, it's a violent R-rated AAA post-apoc action movie and today is the day when the new movies come out... and despite all of that, I felt nothing watching the trailers and I'll be dragging myself to see it this weekend.

Me feeling little interest in this sort of movie should be a joke post. Something is wrong with the universe.

Completely unrelated, what does anyone else think of Toad Road? I watch it every year or so, and I wind up being completely conflicted over it. I really dug the concept of a person being so desperate for enlightenment/self-corruption that she finds the idea of going to Hell beautiful, being in a relationship with a druggie burnout who wants to be clean, but jesus there's a ton of still establishing shots, slow motion, languishing shots, and overwrought narration by someone dead that annoy the poo poo out of me.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MisterBibs posted:

Not at all. I should be into this. I found the X-Men movies decent enough, found Jackman's Wolverine to be the best part of all of them, it's a violent R-rated AAA post-apoc action movie and today is the day when the new movies come out... and despite all of that, I felt nothing watching the trailers and I'll be dragging myself to see it this weekend.

Me feeling little interest in this sort of movie should be a joke post. Something is wrong with the universe.

Completely unrelated, what does anyone else think of Toad Road? I watch it every year or so, and I wind up being completely conflicted over it. I really dug the concept of a person being so desperate for enlightenment/self-corruption that she finds the idea of going to Hell beautiful, being in a relationship with a druggie burnout who wants to be clean, but jesus there's a ton of still establishing shots, slow motion, languishing shots, and overwrought narration by someone dead that annoy the poo poo out of me.

These posts just sound like someone making fun of you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

These posts just sound like someone making fun of you.

God was making fun of all of us when he made Mr Bibs

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

The lead singer took the money and screwed the rest of the band.
The drummer, working as a waiter told all. Fuckin' Oregon man.

I still like that song.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

VROOM VROOM posted:

The text doesn't support SMG's interpretation. It'll have to point to some specific example from the film that there is any forcing going on or that the old people are not happy where they are..

Nobody is physically forced, but they are still forced in the same sense that nobody puts a gun to a woman's head and makes her purchase expensive breast implants. To put a finer point on it: a young photographer is not physically forced to work with a prestigious (blind) art dealer either - in reality.

It's only Chris, however, who is this stuck in this whole fantasy narrative of having his essence sapped by a shadowy cabal. The geriatrics are allowed to simply be miserable. Why is that?

And it's not just the grandparents; the dude in the straw hat acts completely uncomfortable around his wife, pauses to think whether he's actually any happier post-surgery.... And you get a pretty good sense of how the other candidates' relationships would play out. You think the wheelchair dude with the gold-digging mistress is suddenly going to feel loved and respected? The point of the film is that the new body would simply externalize his inner feelings of inferiority. The blind art dealer likewise chooses to become a 'black artist' as a way of expressing the pain from his current 'genetic affliction'. But that's not going to make him suddenly talented at photography.

The true point of the film is not only that these people are being scammed, but that Chris is more like them than he'd care to admit: pressured into life with his beautiful girlfriend, his chic apartment, the prospect of a successful career, and his prominent array of Microsoft products.... He's desperate to break free. So he pulls a Fight Club.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nobody is physically forced, but they are still forced in the same sense that nobody puts a gun to a woman's head and makes her purchase expensive breast implants. To put a finer point on it: a young photographer is not physically forced to work with a prestigious (blind) art dealer either - in reality.

It's only Chris, however, who is this stuck in this whole fantasy narrative of having his essence sapped by a shadowy cabal. The geriatrics are allowed to simply be miserable. Why is that?

And it's not just the grandparents; the dude in the straw hat acts completely uncomfortable around his wife, pauses to think whether he's actually any happier post-surgery.... And you get a pretty good sense of how the other candidates' relationships would play out. You think the wheelchair dude with the gold-digging mistress is suddenly going to feel loved and respected? The point of the film is that the new body would simply externalize his inner feelings of inferiority. The blind art dealer likewise chooses to become a 'black artist' as a way of expressing the pain from his current 'genetic affliction'. But that's not going to make him suddenly talented at photography.

The true point of the film is not only that these people are being scammed, but that Chris is more like them than he'd care to admit: pressured into life with his beautiful girlfriend, his chic apartment, the prospect of a successful career, and his prominent array of Microsoft products.... He's desperate to break free. So he pulls a Fight Club.

In part because he's afraid that his success is also the externalization of an inner truth - he's scared he's an oreo, indistinguishable from the post-op old white people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
actually wasnt the blind guy good at photography until he went blind, a thing that literally would be cured by getting a new body. also he would be able to look at the art he is selling

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

actually wasnt the blind guy good at photography until he went blind, a thing that literally would be cured by getting a new body. also he would be able to look at the art he is selling

Nah, he says he was bad at photography (sending photos to Nat Geo 'forty times' and being rejected), but turned to selling art and then losing his eyes. It makes an interesting duality behind the dude wanting Chris's eyes. He literally wants his eyes so he can see again and be able to see what he's selling, sure, but most importantly he's hoping that the little bit of Chris's brain that remain will give Blind Guy the intangible abilities Chris has to compose a shot the way that has made him, presumably, someone known a little bit in art circles

It's what makes his "Oh, I'm not with them, gently caress them" lines complete bullshit. All of them envy a trait or ability Chris has. Golf Dude envies his strength, Trophy Wife envies his dong, and Photo Guy envies his camera skills. He thinks that because his envy isn't a physical thing, he's different. He's not.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 3, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just saw Logan at the IMAX and it was absurdly dope.

Stewart and Jackman with two of the best performances of their careers. Go see this movie. However, do NOT allow children to see this movie. Do not allow any children to view this movie.

EDIT: THAT is how you do an IMAX exclusive poster. "IMAX" really small on the bottom. No need for it to be part of the main artwork or photos.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 3, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
so for some reason howling 7 has a bunch of darkly-lit square dancing scenes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TOTGpeyAkY

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 3, 2017

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The Howling films have very little continuity outside of something mind bogglingly insane happening in every one of them*

*This does not include the all time classic that is the original of course

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Watching Burton's Charlie and The Chocolate Factory and my god this CG is terrible. A good deal of cool visual imagery and a smattering of interesting sets has never looked so fugly.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OwxWPvOXgpKQ

It's bananas. I keep expecting the camera to pan over to Julia Louis-Dreyfus looking panicked because she unwittingly used the bill to pad her bra or something.

Hahaha, appreciated

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

He actually specifically said that he wasn't. He's hoping that he will somehow get the innate skill of photography, like other people are getting muscles and big dicks.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Saw Logan tonight, it was pretty well done. I'd say it's the best of the Xmen/Wolverine films though that's not saying all that much. I haven't seen them all, but I feel confident in that assertion. However, one thing bothered me: (Minor spoiler? Not really a spoiler?) Why was Laura the only child that spoke Spanish or even had an accent? My verisimilitude.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I liked Logan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I LOVE that MisterBibs watched Toad Road.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I LOVE that MisterBibs watched Toad Road.
Only because the title led him to believe it was the newest Pixar movie. Those things always make good money.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Only because the title led him to believe it was the newest Pixar movie. Those things always make good money.

Funny thing is, I can't remember where I first heard about Toad Road, because it's pretty much out of my usual sphere of interest. Probably here, if anything.

Even someone like me slums it a bit. I just do it with weird indie Sundance stuff.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I saw so many rear end in a top hat walking out with stacks of those Logan IMAX posters. They didn't have any left for the screening I attended. That poo poo's pretty annoying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

Funny thing is, I can't remember where I first heard about Toad Road, because it's pretty much out of my usual sphere of interest. Probably here, if anything.

Even someone like me slums it a bit. I just do it with weird indie Sundance stuff.

I'm proud of you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

I saw so many rear end in a top hat walking out with stacks of those Logan IMAX posters. They didn't have any left for the screening I attended. That poo poo's pretty annoying.

Gonz posted:

I just saw Logan at the IMAX and it was absurdly dope.

Stewart and Jackman with two of the best performances of their careers. Go see this movie. However, do NOT allow children to see this movie. Do not allow any children to view this movie.

EDIT: THAT is how you do an IMAX exclusive poster. "IMAX" really small on the bottom. No need for it to be part of the main artwork or photos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Considering that 50% of them end up on the drat floor, it's fine.

Only super nerds like us care about that poo poo.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

K. Waste posted:

The film isn't overly stylized, it effectively uses techniques of distanciation to provoke interpretation. The moment you mention does a very good job of contextualizing and reaffirming the psychoanalytical framework of the story: Taken separately, the two images hold completely different connotations, which arouses the confusion and distaste of the spectator. We are never being shown a contrast between 'fantasy vs. objective reality.' Rather, the parallel between the imagery violently disrupts the spectator's paradigmatic association between events which the protagonist technically isn't witnessing and the neutral ('objective,' god-like) cinematic gaze. The point is that Susan's traumatic recollection of the past and investment in a trashy crime novel by her former lover have pre-cognitively mapped this meta-cinematic/literary scene upon her reality, even though the connection between the daughter/wife dying in the novel and Susan's living daughter by a completely different man is obviously irrational.

Rather, the opposite interpretation is true.

I can't be bothered to engage with arguments couched in this language. It might be how you interact; I don't. If I get your point (which addresses only one of my concerns), you're saying that we should be even less engaged with the story in the novel (although interpretation shave, thankfully been provoked), which means that both stories are then unengaging (at least to me), and not just one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
hey k waste when does "leaf in birdbath 2" come out

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

HEY! I grabbed 3. Not a stack.

There were also about a thousand of them. For a screening that had about 500 people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dreamt that there was a real huge fat cat Garfield was based on and that I was petting it. I blame Lasagna cat and my medication.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gonz posted:

HEY! I grabbed 3. Not a stack.

There were also about a thousand of them. For a screening that had about 500 people.

Then you'd only be entitled to 2.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

therattle posted:

Rather, the opposite interpretation is true.

I can't be bothered to engage with arguments couched in this language. It might be how you interact; I don't. If I get your point (which addresses only one of my concerns), you're saying that we should be even less engaged with the story in the novel (although interpretation shave, thankfully been provoked), which means that both stories are then unengaging (at least to me), and not just one.

I at no point said we should be less engaged with the story in the novel. What I am stressing is that our perception of the novel is very straightforwardly the impression of the protagonist, colored by her troubled romantic history with the author.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

hey k waste when does "leaf in birdbath 2" come out

idk, sometime

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Then you'd only be entitled to 2.

Went with my brother, one of those belongs to him. :smug:

There were, however, people that did exactly what ruddiger mentioned. And those people are human sharts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I grabbed 3 Pacific Rim posters.

I walked away with 10. The rest were found on the floor.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Do you guys find yourselves getting into hopeless film arguments outside of here/with people who aren't film assholes like us? I try to avoid it like a boxer in a barfight but it happens sometimes and I'm always disappointed when I engage.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

weekly font posted:

Do you guys find yourselves getting into hopeless film arguments outside of here/with people who aren't film assholes like us? I try to avoid it like a boxer in a barfight but it happens sometimes and I'm always disappointed when I engage.

Knowing when to cut your losses is one of the most useful skills to have in life

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

No. I pretty much only get into hopeless film arguments here with film assholes that are like us.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

weekly font posted:

I just yell at myself in the mirror.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I get in tons of film arguments with my friends, it's just that when you're sitting face-to-face with someone it's easier for both parties to realize that there's absolutely no intended malice behind a seemingly eccentric opinion or interpretation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The whole point of posting here is so that real people don't need to hear my pointless opinions on popular entertainment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

weekly font posted:

Sometimes people tell me they like the prequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

weekly font posted:

I almost got into an argument about Rogue One with my friends after watching it. It left me pretty cold but they were super excited about it, so I was trying to explain what I didn't like. It didn't really get out of hand though. A lot of my friends are film buffs though so it's not usually a problem.

My girlfriend and I still get into heated discussions about Upstream Color sometimes. I loved it, she absolutely hated it.

K. Waste posted:

I get in tons of film arguments with my friends, it's just that when you're sitting face-to-face with someone it's easier for both parties to realize that there's absolutely no intended malice behind a seemingly eccentric opinion or interpretation.

Man, that guy in the GitS thread was pissed at you.

• Locked thread