Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
And according to google, with traffic it could be anywhere from one and a half to two hour drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

And according to google, with traffic it could be anywhere from one and a half to two hour drive.

Federal Way or Portland

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

Federal Way or Portland

I'd be driving from Olympia all the way to Redmond. So probably even more than two loving hours.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Mike-o posted:

True.

I guess you could say the best course of action is getting the most sham job in the Air Force or coast guard or something, only serve for the minimum amount of time and then get out to use GI Bill bennies.

This is what I did. 4 years in the Air Force in a position you aren't normally going to be able to find a job with on the outside. Get 10% disability when you get out, then get Chapter 31. Unlike the GI Bill, there's no upfront cost to go to school (tuition, school supplies, whatever they charge you for. they just reimburse the school for whatever your bill is), you get a stipend to live off of, and you're still eligible for Pell.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

This is what I did. 4 years in the Air Force in a position you aren't normally going to be able to find a job with on the outside. Get 10% disability when you get out, then get Chapter 31. Unlike the GI Bill, there's no upfront cost to go to school (tuition, school supplies, whatever they charge you for. they just reimburse the school for whatever your bill is), you get a stipend to live off of, and you're still eligible for Pell.

I did 4 years in the AF as a medic and had heart surgery so I got out with 70% disability. What's Chapter 31 though?

Also...not really the place to ask I guess but does everyone in the AF get a Secret clearance? I had one as a medic and have no idea why.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 3, 2017

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

GoGoGadget posted:

I did 4 years in the AF as a medic and had heart surgery so I got out with 70% disability. What's Chapter 31 though?

Also...not really the place to ask I guess but does everyone in the AF get a Secret clearance? I had one as a medic and have no idea why.

Access to personnel's medical records?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GoGoGadget posted:

i had one too as a medic in the army

its for records access

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

I'd be driving from Olympia all the way to Redmond. So probably even more than two loving hours.

Oh poo poo dude yeah you'd get stuck on 405 both ways

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadget posted:

Chapter 31 is Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, it's 48 months of benefits to be used for training/education to get a job. It pays all fees for schools and for books and poo poo, too. If you need a computer or something you can fill out a little bit of additional paperwork and they'll cover the cost. I got a nice new TI-84 CE this quarter for my business calc class, and I think Soulex got a brand new MacBook. If you're eligible for Post-9/11 you can elect to receive the BAH rate for your monthly stipend which is usually 2-3 times better than the stipend from Chapter 31. To qualify for Chapter 31 you have to have at least 10% service connected disability. Get started with the application for it, it's well worth it.

Edit: oh and if you finish school and still have benefits they'll provide up to another two months of living expenses while you job search.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh poo poo dude yeah you'd get stuck on 405 both ways

I think I'd honestly go insane or kill myself driving through the entirety of lovely puget sound traffic every day :suicide:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

I think I'd honestly go insane or kill myself driving through the entirety of lovely puget sound traffic every day :suicide:

:same:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

maffew buildings posted:

Any official link info you have, asking before Google quest

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitment-centre/can-i-join/citizenship/army/

quote:

The selection process for Overseas Lateral Transfer Officers works on a yearly cycle in order to take into consideration the processing times of the Department of Immigration, the Australian Government Security Vetting Agency, and the notification a successful applicant is required to provide to their current national service. From Expression of Interest to the first day in your new Australian unit can take between 18-24 months

There's lists of what jobs are in demand right now down the page. I know if you're a qualified drone pilot you'd walk in, we don't have the training facilities to turn out decent droners. You have to have separated before you join back to the Aus army, you can't do it on terminal leave. I assume they realise that if you're getting out in 8 months or whatever, you can start the process now.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Pesticide20 posted:

Chapter 31 is Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, it's 48 months of benefits to be used for training/education to get a job. It pays all fees for schools and for books and poo poo, too.

If you're eligible for this, don't be dumb and pick someplace like a for-profit college (ITT Tech) simply because it's close to where you live. Get admitted to the expensive school of your choice and enjoy not being drowned in loan debt like the other students when you graduate. Do your FAFSA day one to earn all the Pell and institution scholarships and grants you can. It's literally all bonus money because the VA is already paying for everything.

This is the only path I'd ever suggest to go if someone wanted to enlist.

It won't stop nefarious types like ROTC from trying to recruit you after you get admitted to a college. A recruiter called me one evening and I had to tell him a couple times that I had just gotten out and there's no way in hell I'd enlist again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Enlist, get out, get degree, enlist again!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Mike-o posted:

I was told traffic here was bad but laughed when I got here, it's not that bad. Florida traffic is much worse.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

maffew buildings posted:

Any official link info you have, asking before Google quest

You realize they have the queen too right

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

redneck nazgul posted:

Alternatively, get something with a clearance even if you have no intention of ever using it again.

Easier to get one again if you've already gotten one.

24 months later it doesn't matter anymore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

chemosh6969 posted:

If you're eligible for this, don't be dumb and pick someplace like a for-profit college (ITT Tech) simply because it's close to where you live. Get admitted to the expensive school of your choice and enjoy not being drowned in loan debt like the other students when you graduate. Do your FAFSA day one to earn all the Pell and institution scholarships and grants you can. It's literally all bonus money because the VA is already paying for everything.

This is the only path I'd ever suggest to go if someone wanted to enlist.

It won't stop nefarious types like ROTC from trying to recruit you after you get admitted to a college. A recruiter called me one evening and I had to tell him a couple times that I had just gotten out and there's no way in hell I'd enlist again.

This. I just got a brand loving new MacBook Pro this semester, new books, and 300 dollars in art supplies. Soon to be a camera (I am a visual arts major) with lenses and all this at one of the most expensive schools in the city, almost double the "big name campus" right up the road. Like 22k a semester or something.

Esit: I don't work, this is my life. It's awesome.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Think of how many promotion points that degree will be worth!!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Two Finger posted:

You realize they have the queen too right

slight step above a whore

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

I was told traffic here was bad but laughed when I got here, it's not that bad. Florida traffic is much worse.

South sound ain't too bad. It's everywhere around Seattle and the eastside if you work in those areas and are trying to daily commute from south or north.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mike-o posted:

South sound ain't too bad. It's everywhere around Seattle and the eastside if you work in those areas and are trying to daily commute from south or north.

I've been taking the ferry over in the morning to Seattle on my car and it's pretty pleasant. I drive back on the 5 to Tacoma. Considering opening up my job search to Seattle downtown because he commute is so relaxing.

Im on a boat yo.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They also serve beer on said boat

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I'M DUMB, I'M SMART. I'M DUMB AGAIN!

OH WHAT AN ARMY DAY!

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

I'M DUMB, I'M SMART. I'M DUMB AGAIN!

OH WHAT AN ARMY DAY!

Probably too long for a thread title :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mike-o posted:

Probably too long for a thread title :(

I JOINED! THEY hosed ME! I'M OUT!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

WELL HELLO THERE PONY BOY!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

That loving reason woke my family up because I snort laughed like a goddamn idiot at 1 AM.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soulex posted:

That loving reason woke my family up because I snort laughed like a goddamn idiot at 1 AM.

:tipshat:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wait is Wasabi a real brony or just ironic-pretending to be?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

Think of how many promotion points that degree will be worth!!

I loving thought about re-enlisting / going OCS after getting my degree, then I remembered that they still do all the inane bullshit selection crap instead of sending people off to do useful things and decided not to, despite having a very useful degree for both engineering and weapons work.

I guess I'm reaching the point where I've managed to forget most the lovely stuff and remember stuff with rose-tinted glasses, as I kinda miss some of the deployments. Though this was the :norway: navy, not USN, so our deployments are somewhat different (more time off, way better pay etc).

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Hahaha good lord

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Wibla posted:

I guess I'm reaching the point where I've managed to forget most the lovely stuff and remember stuff with rose-tinted glasses, as I kinda miss some of the deployments. Though this was the :norway: navy, not USN, so our deployments are somewhat different (more time off, way better pay etc).

Fuuuuuuuuclk I',m on the verge on re-enlisting right now. Honestly it's the nz Army, thy basically get the fun poo poo of playing soldier with none of tyhe daily barrack bullshit. I don't really have to worry about deployment but gently caress at least it's something to push towards and I get some sweet kit to go bush with. gently caress it's everything I said I wouldn't do but I'm tempted as gently caress and everything else seems boring a sshit.

PS. (I', a huge fuckin idiot for posterity)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I just saw one of those dumb baby gender reveal videos that involved making marines stand in an actual formation so a gunny could read a fake award citation announcing the name of this SSGT's future child and expected birth date.

It's gotta be cool knowing your command sees you as a prop for their stupid facebook video.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Internet Wizard posted:

I just saw one of those dumb baby gender reveal videos that involved making marines stand in an actual formation so a gunny could read a fake award citation announcing the name of this SSGT's future child and expected birth date.

It's gotta be cool knowing your command sees you as a prop for their stupid facebook video.

been up for less than a half hour and already my blood pressure is rising, thanks!

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:catstare: are you loving serious?

like...other than marines. who the gently caress uses edge dressing?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Some guy in A school did. "Boy are you guys dumb, wasting ten minutes polishing your boondockers with Kiwi every night. I'll just paint edge dressing on all the leather and they'll be nice and shiny forever". Two days later, they looked like the black crackle finish on a 1940s radio and he had to buy new ones.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wibla posted:

I loving thought about re-enlisting / going OCS after getting my degree, then I remembered that they still do all the inane bullshit selection crap instead of sending people off to do useful things and decided not to, despite having a very useful degree for both engineering and weapons work.

Russia.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Fuuuuuuuuclk I',m on the verge on re-enlisting right now. Honestly it's the nz Army, thy basically get the fun poo poo of playing soldier with none of tyhe daily barrack bullshit. I don't really have to worry about deployment but gently caress at least it's something to push towards and I get some sweet kit to go bush with. gently caress it's everything I said I wouldn't do but I'm tempted as gently caress and everything else seems boring a sshit.

PS. (I', a huge fuckin idiot for posterity)

China.

Anybody who thinks they're going to be playing soldier in any military in the next decade really does belong in this thread.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Russia.

China.

Anybody who thinks they're going to be playing soldier in any military in the next decade really does belong in this thread.

I'm fully aware of what's going on, heh.

We didn't exactly "play soldier" in the med after 9/11. But the north sea and russians are a few levels up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Anyone with black dress-up shoes, especially when it's part of a uniform. :confused: The little... edge of the soles or whatever always has some tiny little pattern in it that loves to attract dust and dirt that becomes impossible to get out. Once you manage to wipe off or rinse out everything you can, you run your edge dressing squirty sponge bottle around it to cover up the wear and tear and remaining dust to make it look good as new. Otherwise, you wind up with shoes that are totally black except for the ring of less black / gray around them.

e: definitely not a marine lol

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 4, 2017