Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
the choice was either invest in Cornwall and invest in the eu or invest in the eu only so cornwall qualified for eu investment. no sane govt would pay twice the taxpayers allowance would have a field day

14 AD. Mary and Joseph take Jesus to a really nice bnb near St ives and they get stuck in a big traffic jam near to stonehenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Breath Ray posted:

the choice was either invest in Cornwall and invest in the eu or invest in the eu only so cornwall qualified for eu investment. no sane govt would pay twice the taxpayers allowance would have a field day

14 AD. Mary and Joseph take Jesus to a really nice bnb near St ives and they get stuck in a big traffic jam near to stonehenge

This says nothing about where the money will go when we're outside of the EU.

The leave campaign claimed it would go to the NHS.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
that would free up the money already committed to the nhs under the brutal fascist eu

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
gently caress the Cornish

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

they voted to opt out of eu funding and hmg can now make up the shortfall..if they even need funding now that the fishing industry can get off its knees

The Leave campaign said that money would be spent on the NHS not Cornwall and they voted for it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

XMNN posted:

gently caress the Cornish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax67_yNCdWA

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i want some of whatever he's on

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

The Leave campaign said that money would be spent on the NHS not Cornwall and they voted for it.

I think the corns did the right thing and they will end up getting the money in some form or another. It's not real until 2019 so some high spirited brinkmanship is inevitable itpo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

18 months in prison for wearing a batgirl costume smh

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Breath Ray posted:

I think the corns did the right thing and they will end up getting the money in some form or another. It's not real until 2019 so some high spirited brinkmanship is inevitable itpo

Yeah I'm sure the Tory government which is so keen on reducing funding and privatising and says people on benefits are subhuman will start paying a lot of subsiahahahahahahahaha

I agree though, the real poo poo is not gonna drop until 2019.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Not sure exactly what this means or how to read it but it seems to suggest support for the unionist parties is just a hair's breadth higher than support for the parties that want Irish unification?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837746796436811777

(Assuming I'm right to think the Alliance are more or less neutral)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you're thinking of visiting the SW it's with bearing in mind that everything good associated with Cornwall: pasties, sunshine, beaches, surfing, cream teas, quaint fishing towns, ice cream, National Trust properties and so on, can be found equally in Devon. In fact, Devon invented pasties, cream tea and sunshine.

I suppose Cornwall has the lead in kitsch plaster dragons and Pendragon pewter figures, but you can get those in Plymouth these days too.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

to me Cornwall is far away country inhabited by a people of whom i know nothing

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Paxman posted:

Not sure exactly what this means or how to read it but it seems to suggest support for the unionist parties is just a hair's breadth higher than support for the parties that want Irish unification?

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/837746796436811777

(Assuming I'm right to think the Alliance are more or less neutral)

Unionists: 44.7%
Nationalists: 40%
Others: 13.5%
Independents: 1.8%

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Sinn Fein seem to have done a pretty good job mobilising younger voters this time round, either that or people are just sending Foster a protest vote. Also, y'know, memes.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

If you're thinking of visiting the SW it's with bearing in mind that everything good associated with Cornwall: pasties, sunshine, beaches, surfing, cream teas, quaint fishing towns, ice cream, National Trust properties and so on, can be found equally in Devon. In fact, Devon invented pasties, cream tea and sunshine.

I suppose Cornwall has the lead in kitsch plaster dragons and Pendragon pewter figures, but you can get those in Plymouth these days too.

Oh absolutely. I holidayed in Devon for the first 20 years of my life. Couldn't believe it when I heard they were redeveloping bantham! But latterly my family have started to prefer cornwall for some reason even though it's another hour in the car. I think the idea is there are fewer common ppl the further you go but they are making inroads even there. Also, waves.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

Oh absolutely. I holidayed in Devon for the first 20 years of my life. Couldn't believe it when I heard they were redeveloping bantham! But latterly my family have started to prefer cornwall for some reason even though it's another hour in the car. I think the idea is there are fewer common ppl the further you go but they are making inroads even there. Also, waves.

That's a really long holiday.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Mike Nesbitt off more than he could chew more like

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

That's a really long holiday.

Hahahahaaa. Anyway my guess is in 2019 the Tories will be handing out money right left and centre right so as to win an increased majority in the commons. Assumi g the Cornish vote to remain that is

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Octolady posted:

Sinn Fein seem to have done a pretty good job mobilising younger voters this time round, either that or people are just sending Foster a protest vote. Also, y'know, memes.

She kept calling it "Gerry Adams Sinn Fein". It was never "Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein" or "Gerry Adams' Sinn Fein". It was always Gerry Adams Sinn Fein.

You know, like you've got Sinn Fein The Workers' Party, Republican Sinn Fein and Gerry Adams Sinn Fein.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

GerryAdamsSinnFeinIRA

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Octolady posted:

Gerry Adams continued ability to appeal to young people amazes me

or rather, the fact that he's the only politician west of the channel who can do this, amazes me

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gerry Adams & His Radical Republican Agenda are one of the less well-known bands of the new wave era, but their 1984 performance in Brighton is today remembered for having been a real blast.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

kustomkarkommando posted:

GerryAdamsSinnFeinIRA
supporting !!! and Lemuria at an overpriced indie joint near you.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Gerry Adams & His Radical Republican Agenda are one of the less well-known bands of the new wave era, but their 1984 performance in Brighton is today remembered for having been a real blast.

I was actually really disappointed by the finale

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, at least McCausland is out.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doug Beattie rapidly being singled out to replace Nesbitt

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Is Paul Dacre okay?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doug Beattie rapidly being singled out to replace Nesbitt

He's ruled himself out for now, though. Says he doesn't think he has the knowledge or experience to lead the party. Might end up falling to him by default.

Danny Kennedy or Jo-Anne Dobson would've been the best choices but they've both lost their seats.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's ruled himself out for now, though. Says he doesn't think he has the knowledge or experience to lead the party. Might end up falling to him by default.

Danny Kennedy or Jo-Anne Dobson would've been the best choices but they've both lost their seats.

If Nesbitt was too liberal for many in the UUP Beattie seems like a hard sell, what with his stance on same-sex marriage and siding with the more liberal bloc over abortion.

Who's left for the conservatives - Swann?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Forget about all this political bullshit, freddos are 30p now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

If Nesbitt was too liberal for many in the UUP Beattie seems like a hard sell, what with his stance on same-sex marriage and siding with the more liberal bloc over abortion.

Who's left for the conservatives - Swann?

I think Beattie mentioned Swann as a possibility. I imagine the priority for them is to find someone who can give them a direction rather than someone who can win the next election, because at this stage the UUP should be more worried about staying alive. We'll see what happens. Kennedy or Dobson or one of the others might have another opportunity to get back in some time in the future.

In the meantime, it'll probably be back to Tom Elliott. :barf:

Has been observed on the BBC that Nesbitt resigned the way he led - suddenly and without warning anyone else in his party first. :v:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I don't think we're ready for a leader's debate with a Ballymena man

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose there's Roy Beggs, Jr. whose greatest claim to fame is getting Aer Lingus to remove Irish rebel songs from their in-flight entertainment systems.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Thanks for the effort post, it's always good to hear a view from the inside (uh no pun intended). What are those changes they made that make it hard to get compensation if you're hurt? Doesn't sound too legal, especially if they're putting you in more dangerous situations to begin with

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Spangly A posted:

or rather, the fact that he's the only politician west of the channel who can do this, amazes me

He's a jovial trickster with a chequered past, people love that poo poo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Octolady posted:

He's a jovial trickster with a chequered past, people love that poo poo.

oh that gerry, kneecapping folk, what a prankster, what a lad

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Not that he even stands in NI anyway

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Spangly A posted:

It's because young people have no idea what he got up to during the troubles and just see an affable old man. Same thing with people who think Guy Fawkes was a cool dude because he wanted to blow up politicians.

All it would take is a South African style truth and reconciliation commission and his political career would be berried with his admission of what he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Excuse me but Gerry Adams was never in the IRA don't you know

• Locked thread