Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I love that even the goddamn ribcage is gilded and intricately inscribed. That's exactly the kind of hyper-artisanal poo poo I would expect some cyberpunk japanese luxury corporation to produce. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Perestroika posted:

I love that even the goddamn ribcage is gilded and intricately inscribed. That's exactly the kind of hyper-artisanal poo poo I would expect some cyberpunk japanese luxury corporation to produce. :allears:

I agree. I also can't stop seeing Bjork.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Related: The side shot from the trailers of Scarlett touching the woman's face makes me think of the All Is Full of Love video every time. There's even stuff on the side to mimic the 4:3 aspect ratio of the mv's composition.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, has anyone seen the new TV spot trailer found recently on Entertainment Weekly? Because you might notice an important change.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

I didn't ask for this.

The Major's real name is Mira.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

So, has anyone seen the new TV spot trailer found recently on Entertainment Weekly? Because you might notice an important change.

I didn't ask for this.

That's been known for a while. Her full name was in some other publicity material, can't remember what the surname is but you can search back through the thread if you care.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Young Freud posted:

I didn't ask for this.

:murder:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
For real, how are non-weeb audiences going to relate to someone named "Motoko?"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Mogomra posted:

For real, how are non-weeb audiences going to relate to someone named "Motoko?"

You might as well ask why non-weeb audiences would be interested in an adaptation of anime at all.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Anybody who thought that the character was gonna be named Kusanagi in the American adaptation is real dumb.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

HIJK posted:

You might as well ask why non-weeb audiences would be interested in an adaptation of anime at all.

Maybe they are trying to get a non-weeb audience interested in it?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah comic book adaptations are now mainstream blockbusters so maybe it could work out.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HIJK posted:

The frustrating thing about this isn't the name change, it's that the whole movie doesn't want to commit to anything. It doesn't want to localize and set it America, yet it doesn't want to cast Asians as the leads. They held off on the name change for the longest time (or it might be a reshoot and they just refer to her as Major like it's her first name).

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Who gives a poo poo what her name is

She barely has a personality in the anime anyway. She's basically a blank slate with a mysterious past or whateve

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

HIJK posted:

Easy. Boobs, butts, and guns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yeah, the aesthetics make it look worth a watch even if the story is a wash

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

starkebn posted:

Yeah, the aesthetics make it look worth a watch even if the story is a wash

I'm going to be Kreskin for a moment and predict that this is going to be this decade's Judge Dredd: a big budget adaptation with big name star and interesting visuals but no one bothered to read the source material let alone understand it and thus fail. Ten years from now, maybe someone like Neil Blomkamp or Miike Takashi or someone new is going to revisit the property, make another adaptation at a lower budget but get the tone right, and it becomes a cult hit and everyone forgets about Sanders' attempt.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Young Freud posted:

I'm going to be Kreskin for a moment and predict that this is going to be this decade's Judge Dredd: a big budget adaptation with big name star and interesting visuals but no one bothered to read the source material let alone understand it and thus fail. Ten years from now, maybe someone like Neil Blomkamp or Miike Takashi or someone new is going to revisit the property, make another adaptation at a lower budget but get the tone right, and it becomes a cult hit and everyone forgets about Sanders' attempt.

The trailer alone is better than the source material.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I've seen someone say that the artbook or something says that the Mira name is Motoko's cover/fake identity, or something, where Motoko Kusanagi is her actual name?

There's absolutely a photo floating around the net of ScarJo staring at a tombstone that reads Motoko Kusanagi

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Milky Moor posted:

I've seen someone say that the artbook or something says that the Mira name is Motoko's cover/fake identity, or something, where Motoko Kusanagi is her actual name?

There's absolutely a photo floating around the net of ScarJo staring at a tombstone that reads Motoko Kusanagi

Yeah rumor is she was an asian woman who got made into a caucasian by the corporation, which would be some bizarre meta commentary on the films own whitewashing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Young Freud posted:

I didn't ask for this.

Hmmmmm

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah rumor is she was an asian woman who got made into a caucasian by the corporation, which would be some bizarre meta commentary on the films own whitewashing.

It also fits with the lines from the trailer where they're all "You promised us a clean brain!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Young Freud posted:

The source material is like two movies. Nobody cares about the comic.

The odd part of all the bellyaching is that there's no real concept of why the '95 film was good in the first place. The tone? Come on. It's a movie where the heroine uses ridiculous futuretech to beat the poo poo out of some poor, brainwashed drug dealer, and then blah blah blah technological singularity.

The original Ghost In The Shell movie has, just recently, been surpassed in every way by such a humble film as Chappie. The remake has to be different, because otherwise it would be painfully obsolete.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

like a lot of movies (Star Wars especially) the original GitS has a mind blowing soundtrack that elevates the film. That along with beautiful hand drawn animation and a pretty intriguing story made it what it is. A film is made up of many parts, the story / script is just one thing that helps it embed in people's memories.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This come out this month, looking forward to being the only person in the theater. The trailers looks terrible.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

such a humble film as Chappie
You DO have a heart. :3:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The '95 movie is good because it has boobs and guns, and some cool setpiece fight scenes. The futuretech is just the background setting. That's really all the new movie has to accomplish, too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

starkebn posted:

like a lot of movies (Star Wars especially) the original GitS has a mind blowing soundtrack that elevates the film. That along with beautiful hand drawn animation and a pretty intriguing story made it what it is. A film is made up of many parts, the story / script is just one thing that helps it embed in people's memories.

Statements like "a film is made up of many parts," and "it's embedded in people's memories," don't answer the question.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

The odd part of all the bellyaching is that there's no real concept of why the '95 film was good in the first place. The tone? Come on. It's a movie where the heroine uses ridiculous futuretech to beat the poo poo out of some poor, brainwashed drug dealer, and then blah blah blah technological singularity.

The original Ghost In The Shell movie has, just recently, been surpassed in every way by such a humble film as Chappie. The remake has to be different, because otherwise it would be painfully obsolete.

Man these are some terrible opinions. Have you actually seen the Ghost in the Shell movie or are you parroting some other reviewers you read?

I mean I guess 'rediculous futuretech' is... fists? And there were no drug dealers in the film... How embarassing!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The source material is like two movies. Nobody cares about the comic.

:laffo: Dude stick to the Star Wars threads because any time you post outside of them it's obvious those are the only movies you've ever actually seen.

Edit: Beaten loooong ago, how embarrassing. :/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Man these are some terrible opinions. Have you actually seen the Ghost in the Shell movie or are you parroting some other reviewers you read?

I mean I guess 'rediculous futuretech' is... fists? And there were no drug dealers in the film... How embarassing!

The rediculous [sic] futuretech is the state-of-the-art augmented body nearly capable of ripping a car in half, and the full-body stealth-suit. Major uses this to effortlessly beat the everloving poo poo out of the dude in sunglasses, who turns out to just be a brainwashed petty criminal. (The joke of the film is that he is reduced to nothing more than his generic role: an archetypal goon henchman.) Major spends her career going around beating up poors and assassinating defectors. It's her job.

The point of Ghost in the Shell is that the Major is an evil antihero whose final declaration that "the net is vast and infinite" is nothing new. It's established in the opening text, first sentence in the movie:

"In the near future - corporate networks reach out to the stars. Electrons and light flow throughout the universe. The advance of computerization, however, has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups."

The problem with the film is perhaps that people get entranced by the soundtrack and stultifying exposition, and don't really consider that the protagonist is wrong. "I feel confined, only free to expand myself within boundaries." This definition of freedom as a lack of restriction is of course directly in line with the ideology of the corporations, who designed the 2501 virus specifically to get around those pesky international regulations and boundaries. Wiping out nations and ethnic groups was the whole plan. It's established very early on that programmers have been legally defined as a form of weaponry, so the film reduces to yet another example of that pesky 'gun control' pseudodebate that plagues today's films. In truth, this was always a distraction from the real violence of capitalism - the fact that the biggest guns are held by the rich.

The point of the film is in the fact that the major still has a body in the end - must be embodied. In the fantasy of total deregulation, the Major misses how "it is meaningless to imagine a human being as a biological entity without the complex network of his/her tools – it would be like imagining a goose without its feathers". And she certainly misses how, "to express it in good old Marxist terms, man is the totality of his/her social relations". Major feels emboldened, but she is actually just being confronted with her fundamental unfreedom. She's literally a homeless child prostitute, at the end of the film. Freedom requires a base.* She needs to question the whole network of social relations that determine who gets what tools. In other words, the Major is entranced by the tools laid out for her, but stops far short of questioning the capitalist system that produces them. If the advance of computerization has not yet wiped out nations and ethnic groups, it certainly hasn't wiped out the corporations who ruthlessly exploit.

2501 was bullshitting to an extent, promising freedom in an effort to save itself. It, itself, hallucinates that the helicopters are angels carrying it to heaven - missing that what truly protected them was Batou's arm. 2501 is caught up in this ideology of evolution, of progress towards this white light in the sky. It cannot imagine Christianity.

"Christianity is much more atheist than the usual atheism, which can claim there is no God and so on, but nonetheless it retains a certain trust into the Big Other. This Big Other can be called natural necessity, evolution, or whatever. We humans are nonetheless reduced to a position within the harmonious whole of evolution, whatever, but the difficult thing to accept is again that there is no Big Other, no point of reference which guarantees meaning."
-Zizek

"This is the real use of the computer, not to expedite marketing or solve technical problems [...] a new interpretation of the mystical body of Christ; and Christ, after all, is the ultimate extension of man."
-McLuhan

* "The properly Marxist notion of 'base' should not be understood as a foundation which determines and thus constrains the scope of our freedom ('we think we are free, but we are really determined by our base'); one should rather conceive it as the very base (frame, terrain, space) OF and FOR our freedom. 'Base' is a social substance which sustains our freedom - in this sense, the rules of civility do not constrain our freedom, but provide the space within which our freedom can only thrive; the legal order enforced by state apparatuses is the base for our free market exchanges; the grammatical rules are the indispensable base for our free thought (in order to 'think freely,' we have to practice these rules blindly); habits as our 'second nature' is the base for culture; the collective of believers is the base, the only terrain, within which a Christian subject can be free; etc. This is also how one should understand the infamous Marxist plea for 'concrete, real freedom' as opposed to the bourgeois 'abstract, merely formal freedom': this 'concrete freedom' does not constrain the possible content ('you can only be truly free if you support our, Communist, side'); the question is, rather, what 'base' should be secured for freedom. A classic example: although workers in capitalism are formally free, there is no 'base' that would allow them to actualize their freedom as producers; although there is a 'formal' freedom of speech, organization, etc., the base of this freedom is constrained."
-Zizek

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Why do you quote Zizek so much?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Also the point wasn't that the Major needs a body, at end when she merges with project 2501 they specifically say they're going to create a new form of life that will spread throughout the net. I mean I get that you really want to lecture people on what the film is about, but when your dismissive know-it-all points miss really simple parts of the film its very hard to take you seriously.

HIJK posted:

Why do you quote Zizek so much?

We all know the answer to this question.

I mean when you end your mindblowing 'analysis' with

quote:

It cannot imagine Christianity.

I mean just... Wow.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Also the point wasn't that the Major needs a body, at end when she merges with project 2501 they specifically say they're going to create a new form of life that will spread throughout the net. I mean I get that you really want to lecture people on what the film is about, but when your dismissive know-it-all points miss really simple parts of the film its very hard to take you seriously.

Which is what happens in Innocence. Kusanagi is nowhere, yet everywhere in that movie. She is literally a god in the machine, intervening on Batou's behalf, first with the warning in the grocery market before he shoots up the place, then when he and Togusa getting caught in the mind loop, and later when the dolls go berserk on the factory ship, with her saving Batou by hijacking one of the bodies using a satellite connection.

I also love that SMG completely missed Oshii's background when bring that up his analysis.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FuturePastNow posted:

The '95 movie is good because it has boobs and guns, and some cool setpiece fight scenes. The futuretech is just the background setting. That's really all the new movie has to accomplish, too.

I'm still looking forward to this movie, even if it does look like they've cranked up the generic sci-fi thriller mystery on the plot a bunch.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
It really looks to be more of a sci-fi in the vein of say, the new Deus Ex games than the vein of say, Blade Runner.

Which is really a shame because while the big action stuff is a large part of Ghost in the Shell, it at least feels like it's doing something a little more cerebral than the new Robocop remake.

Though I'm going to watch it and probably will enjoy it even if it's just so-so. To carry on with modern movie comparison, I'm hoping for at least a Marvel level adaptation, than a DC.

Young Freud posted:

Which is what happens in Innocence. Kusanagi is nowhere, yet everywhere in that movie. She is literally a god in the machine, intervening on Batou's behalf, first with the warning in the grocery market before he shoots up the place, then when he and Togusa getting caught in the mind loop, and later when the dolls go berserk on the factory ship, with her saving Batou by hijacking one of the bodies using a satellite connection.

I also love that SMG completely missed Oshii's background when bring that up his analysis.

A lot of people dislike Innocence but I actually like it a bunch. Visually it's just as good if not better than the original, even it's a little more uneven than the first film writing wise.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 4, 2017

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I agree with SMG for once. I recently rewatched the movies after having been a long time fan of Stand Alone Complex and they were more bleak than most cyberpunk but not in an effective way. It's hard to like or care about the Major and Batou when they are just an immoral arm of a corrupt government fighting itself to no conclusion. The dystopian state of their society goes totally unexamined while the post-human themes aren't developed to a satisfying degree. To contrast with television show is is apparent that she is a protector of a society that she likes and she is proud of her skills as a hacker and commando even though her team gets involved in some dirt. The film reminds me of super violent OVAs like Kite but Sawa is more sympathetic because of the element of coercion in her story.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Kusanagi is incredibly down-to-earth in the mangas, and the tone is very light. She's very Terminator-like in the movie, and SAC does a great job of humanizing her while keeping her baddassness.

I like all versions fwiw.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

This come out this month, looking forward to being the only person in the theater. The trailers looks terrible.

You go to movies that you think look terrible?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Statements like "a film is made up of many parts," and "it's embedded in people's memories," don't answer the question.

For most people liking something is more visceral than your wordy diatribes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

lol @ the face shes making in the youtube trailer thumbnails

i think the emotion is "gassy"

• Locked thread