Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harrow posted:

Do you want the Switch for anything other than Zelda for the next, oh, six months?

If yes, try to get your hands on a Switch. If no, jump in on the Wii U.

(Believe me, I'm having the same dilemma, right down to the "keep playing Horizon" part)

Nope! Everything except for one detail says the Wii U version is the better buy for me; that detail is a pending hospital stay on the 31st for a day or two post-thyroidectomy. I'm either gonna be bored out of my mind or stoned asleep, so if I don't get a switch I'm gonna have to gamble on the latter :v:

Went ahead and bought the Wii U version on the basis that I played Horizon for about half an hour before getting :geno: about the whole thing, which is never a good sign for a game for me. So we'll see how BotW does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
How early do you get to repair weapons? I'm running around with four weapons nearly broken and the next best are the lovely ~4 damage starting ones lying around. Just got through Kakariko so I'm not too far in. Do I use any of the mining material to repair them or something? Having durability in a game that came out in 2017 is really weird and it's stressing me out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So... how do you get Ruppees? Is it strictly by selling poo poo? I haven't found anything in the wild and have only gotten some via selling poo poo. I ask because I need to buy some real armor because Link takes damage like a fuckin' bitch and getting OHKO'd by these electro-sniping Lizafols is becoming tedious.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I accidentally made the ball go flying and it landed in the right place somehow.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see how people who have spent the last decade or so saying, "You know what they should do? Go back to the beginning. Just do Zelda 1 again but make it as next-gen as you can get." handle this game.

Have people been saying this? If so, I too would like to see that.

Edit: I mean I really like the first game, and I'm pretty sure my plan is going to be
1. Start the game up.
2. Squeal with joy until I faint from lack of oxygen.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
So is there a different game you would rather be playing fresh than this? Super Metroid for the first time? I dont even think so?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mr E posted:

I accidentally made the ball go flying and it landed in the right place somehow.

I think I dropped the controller for my win.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Ciaphas posted:

Nope! Everything except for one detail says the Wii U version is the better buy for me; that detail is a pending hospital stay on the 31st for a day or two post-thyroidectomy. I'm either gonna be bored out of my mind or stoned asleep, so if I don't get a switch I'm gonna have to gamble on the latter :v:

Went ahead and bought the Wii U version on the basis that I played Horizon for about half an hour before getting :geno: about the whole thing, which is never a good sign for a game for me. So we'll see how BotW does

For the record, Horizon doesn't really come into it's own till it lets you loose. Get past the stupid child poo poo, it gets better.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Despera posted:

So is there a different game you would rather be playing fresh than this? Super Metroid for the first time? I dont even think so?

Honestly my only answers would be Dark Souls 1 or like, Minecraft 6 years ago

This is a very good game

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dimo ArKacho posted:

For the record, Horizon doesn't really come into it's own till it lets you loose. Get past the stupid child poo poo, it gets better.

Oh yeah I mean half an hour tonight. I just got done learning how to mount 'bots, for reference.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can someone help me out with this photo stuff? I found one of the locations in the important photos and I'm standing in the same spot- I've even replicated the photo perfectly and nothing is happening. Is uh, something supposed to happen? Whats the point of these locations?

s.i.r.e. posted:

So... how do you get Ruppees? Is it strictly by selling poo poo? I haven't found anything in the wild and have only gotten some via selling poo poo. I ask because I need to buy some real armor because Link takes damage like a fuckin' bitch and getting OHKO'd by these electro-sniping Lizafols is becoming tedious.

Smash Barrels, shoot the blue god rabbits hopping around, defeat Yiga clan members (there's always one posing as a NPC near Kakiriko.)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2017

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah I mean half an hour tonight. I just got done learning how to mount 'bots, for reference.

Ok yeah, nevermind...that's the game. If you don't like that, get your Zelda on.

:ninja:: I mean, more poo poo happens and it really opens up, but you're past the point where gameplay changes much.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can someone help me out with this photo stuff? I found one of the locations in the important photos and I'm standing in the same spot- I've even replicated the photo perfectly and nothing is happening. Is uh, something supposed to happen? Whats the point of these locations?

Smash Barrels, shoot the blue god rabbits hopping around, defeat Yiga clan members (there's always one posing as a NPC near Kakiriko.)

Oh, you're supposed to shoot those? I've been wondering if they were for a sidequest or something, didn't wanna shoot them since they seem kinda nice and spirity.

By the way I just saved up 3000 rupees, anyone know if the house is worth buying? I'm not sure what advantage having a house in this game would even have but...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

There'll be a glowy circle on the ground to stand in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How early do you get to repair weapons? I'm running around with four weapons nearly broken and the next best are the lovely ~4 damage starting ones lying around. Just got through Kakariko so I'm not too far in. Do I use any of the mining material to repair them or something? Having durability in a game that came out in 2017 is really weird and it's stressing me out.

You're very much meant to just toss weapons and find more as you go. If you run out, use some arrows or some bombs or something creative (magnetism) to kill people, then take whatever weapons they have.

I hope there is weapon repairing, but if there is you're not gonna get it anytime soon. I don't think anybody in thread has it yet.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I've spent half my day dicking around in Gerudo Desert, not even accomplishing much of anything except a few shrines. It's cool to think that while I've gone this way other people are exploring places I've never seen like Zora territory or Death Mountain or this island people keep mentioning. It feels special.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's no weapon repairing in this game. Stuff just merely gets a better "build" quality. You're swimming in swords and bows so seriously don't stress too hard.

Infinitum posted:

There'll be a glowy circle on the ground to stand in.

Not seeing anything so maybe the story isn't progressed enough. Ah well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

snoremac posted:

I've spent half my day dicking around in Gerudo Desert, not even accomplishing much of anything except a few shrines. It's cool to think that while I've gone this way other people are exploring places I've never seen like Zora territory or Death Mountain or this island people keep mentioning. It feels special.

Yeah totally, I went to a super frozen mountain that I don't see anybody else talking about. I looooove how free the game is.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah totally, I went to a super frozen mountain that I don't see anybody else talking about. I looooove how free the game is.

Mount Lanayru? Froze my rear end off there

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Ciaphas posted:

How bored of horizon are you? My wife won't let me get a switch and I need a new ps4 game...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Despera posted:

I was so happy I'd bought two pieces of clothing from the town, I was worried I'd need a third.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Despera posted:

I just blasted a corrupted dragon spirit up there with some bullet-time glider shots

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I wandered into some wasteland and now after a long battle I have a goddamn laser sword. :black101: The stats are silly, but low durability.

This game owns hard, I won't be playing anything else for like the next year with how little I've accomplished in 6 hours. Makes Witcher 3 feel tiny.

According to some Rito this is set like 10,000 years after OoT/ TP :stare:

Nintendo knocked this one out of the fuckin' galaxy.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 4, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played this on wiiu gamepad since 7, I love it. feels like Journey mixed with Shadow of the Colossus. Being able to climb anything everywhere is beyond brilliant. Only just got the parachute thingy and set off looking for a village but I do love how nice the game looks and feels. Everyone screaming about unplayable sub-20 FPS is confirmed lying pissbitch because I hardly see anything gamebreaking.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I went there and got my teeth kicked in by some centaur thing, so I decided to go elsewhere.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Infinity Gaia posted:

By the way I just saved up 3000 rupees, anyone know if the house is worth buying? I'm not sure what advantage having a house in this game would even have but...

I've no idea, but I want that house so bad. Who do I talk about buying it?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

played this on wiiu gamepad since 7, I love it. feels like Journey mixed with Shadow of the Colossus. Being able to climb anything everywhere is beyond brilliant. Only just got the parachute thingy and set off looking for a village but I do love how nice the game looks and feels. Everyone screaming about unplayable sub-20 FPS is confirmed lying pissbitch because I hardly see anything gamebreaking.

It definitely lags like CRAZY in some of the villages, but it never really bothers me. The game is so pretty anyways, and its not like you need split-second FPS reactions in this game, so its really not at all bothersome.

I'm sure switch would be nice though, and I'll get one eventually.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I've no idea, but I want that house so bad. Who do I talk about buying it?

At some point (maybe just during the day?) people are there starting to demolish the house. Talk to all of them, the boss man says he'll sell it to you instead.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaVwwuErmU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

s.i.r.e. posted:

Some enemies drop them (it's really rare). Some chests have them. Today I found a 100 rupee chest and a 300 rupee chest, both guarded by really loving hard gauntlets of enemies.

For those electric Lizalfos, make some electric-weakening elixirs. Their attacks will become paltry.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

At some point (maybe just during the day?) people are there starting to demolish the house. Talk to all of them, the boss man says he'll sell it to you instead.

Ohh, thanks! I only saw/talked to one guy. Gonna do that tomorrow!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can change the color of your outfits?!?! :stare:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Something like 18 different colours too

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Turns out most of the time Zelda is good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So who else is loving that the story is Avatar: The Last Airbender meets Mecha Anime??

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I visited one village so far and have spent the rest of my time exploring shrines. It's amazing how much freedom you get with this game. This is an open world game that respects you. No enemy leveling with you, no bullshit to access new zones, no screaming arrow at the top of the screen directing exactly where to go. It's just you, alone, deciding where you go. If you are skilled or equipped enough, nothing stops you. Most open world games I feel the map is indispensable because of how things just kinda revolve around quest markers, but turning the HUD off for this game has made the experience all the better. Well done Nintendo

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Whats with Links very modern reebok looking boxer briefs? He should be wearing a goatskin loincloth or something when he got out of that pool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just got to Kakariko and this Impa reminds me of Maz Kanata. Sounds like her too. The NPCs in the village are all great and hilarious as well. I love the guy that's so obsessed with cuccos that his wife left him.

The introduction of the first Great Fairy was amazing. I love her design.

I love the game so far but I'm going to take it slow. I feel like I can easily get overwhelmed going forward. I need to start stamping poo poo on my map.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
How the hell do I find and catch crickets in this game? I can hear them, but never see them and it's driving me crazy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could someone point me to where the DLC chests are in the Plateau? only got the one next to the first shrine.

Also, while I have a billion amazing stories already, my favourite thing is still my Dad deleting his save and restarting because he thought "Sheikah Slate data is damaged" was referring to his save game.