Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon now has an option to upgrade early to device payment. You could go in now, pay 30% down towards the Pixel (about $200), and start payment plan early. 30% down goes towards monthly payment of phone.

So if you were wanting to pay $200ish already towards it, you could just get phone immediately.

When you do this early upgrade, your line charge would stay at $40 a month until the contract end date just like normal, then will auto go down to $20 once the contract expires.

Cool, thanks for the reply!

I'm a little confused though. Mostly because I'm stupid.

You're saying that the $200 will make the monthly price of the phone go down, or will it just let me skip a few weeks waiting to upgrade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

Cool, thanks for the reply!

I'm a little confused though. Mostly because I'm stupid.

You're saying that the $200 will make the monthly price of the phone go down, or will it just let me skip a few weeks waiting to upgrade?

Both.

Example: pixel is $27 a month = $650

If you pay $200 down to upgrade early, you get the phone early, phone payment is $450 over two years (because you paid $200) so it's like $19 s month.

So you don't lose out money wise.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

hotsauce posted:

Concept: enjoy the event you paid to attend and stay off your phone? I know posting that clutch pic/video is super important, but you'll probably be fine. Calls and messages still work when data is overloaded so little Timmy's emergency can be triaged.

What if the event you attended USES your phone? I remember bringing down the entire cellular infrastructure of at least two major cities back when I played Ingress and attended their events.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
With the announcement of the Nokia 3310 I'm wondering if I can finally do something I've been wanting to do for years; hotswap my SIM between two phones. I'd like to keep a barebones device for activities prone to phone damage then pop my SIM back into my smartphone for work/general use. Is this something even remotely possible with Verizon?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:same:

I was just thinking about that too.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Uh I swapped my SIM between two smartphones with no apparent problems... :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, if your sim card fits both phones, there shouldn't be any issues. Worst case scenario, you restart you phone after plugging it in.

Just be careful not the mess up the card itself in the transfer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unless I missed something major, the Nokia 3310 isn't going to work on Verizon.

It's 2g GSM only.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Unless I missed something major, the Nokia 3310 isn't going to work on Verizon.

It's 2g GSM only.

This.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Anyways, there are plenty of smartphone options in the "don't give a gently caress" range on the used market.

The $50-$70 US price range will buy you:

Galaxy S3
Droid Ultra
Droid Maxx
HTC One M7
Moto X 2013

Any one of those are infinity more usable than a 2g dumbphone.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Does Verizon support the older Motorola DynaTAC phones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's analog and the analog network has been shutdown for years.

Other limitation is a phone has to be e911 capable to be activated on the network.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Does Verizon support the older Motorola DynaTAC phones?

Why would someone want to activate a phone like that ?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Duckman2008 posted:

Why would someone want to activate a phone like that ?

Hipsters.

That being said, I'd totally activate and use a Motorola StarTAC if I could. I thought those were the coolest phones back in the day.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
Motorola e815. That was a fun time.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
LG VX8300 (aka best phone ever made).

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

terrible reception and no way to get rid of that ugly vcast menu overhaul!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

bull3964 posted:

Any one of those are infinity more usable than a 2g dumbphone.

the thing is that 'usability' is a non-issue here. I need the ability to have a phone ring in my pocket/be able to read and type short replies to texts and that's it. the less screens to get cracked, components to get damaged by water/humidity, distractions from what I'm doing the better

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Got one of these when they first came out. Dat EVDO plus airtime data, am I right

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

The best phone was the one you got a $430 check from the class action law suit even though you only paid upgrade price. I lived like a king that week of college!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

JayKay posted:

Hipsters.

That being said, I'd totally activate and use a Motorola StarTAC if I could. I thought those were the coolest phones back in the day.

I could see people recycling those phones to use like a Bluetooth remote of sorts. So you could still send and take calls on it and dial but it just talks to your smartphone

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BREW phones were terrible across the board. A few of them were slightly less terrible, but none of those were on Verizon.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the thing is that 'usability' is a non-issue here. I need the ability to have a phone ring in my pocket/be able to read and type short replies to texts and that's it. the less screens to get cracked, components to get damaged by water/humidity, distractions from what I'm doing the better

Buy any cheap, used Verizon Android phone with the same SIM card size, a decent case, turn off mobile data, and disable apps like Chrome if you really want it to be annoying to get to those things). You could disable every app except the dialer, contacts, and Google Maps and you would get what you want. Trying to get a dumbphone is really making this harder than it needs to be.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

king of the bongo posted:

Motorola e815. That was a fun time.

My man.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey, so I bought a pixel regular flavor via the verizon wireless online website about two months ago. Love the phone, but it has been recently been giving me a lot of problems with sound. Recently I wasn't even able to take a call because I had no sound when I answered! I tried updating to the 7.12 beta, i tried a factory reset, nothing has fixed the issues. At this point I suspect its the hardware. Can I just go to a corporate store and get it replaced there? Or will I have to wait for them to send the phone to wherever to get it replaced?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argona posted:

Hey, so I bought a pixel regular flavor via the verizon wireless online website about two months ago. Love the phone, but it has been recently been giving me a lot of problems with sound. Recently I wasn't even able to take a call because I had no sound when I answered! I tried updating to the 7.12 beta, i tried a factory reset, nothing has fixed the issues. At this point I suspect its the hardware. Can I just go to a corporate store and get it replaced there? Or will I have to wait for them to send the phone to wherever to get it replaced?

They'll have to send out a replacement either way, COR stores don't carry replacements. Verizon Warranty is 866-406-5154.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Thanks to a corporate store screw up, I unknowingly activated a new line of service. I returned the phone and had them take the line off but I'm still showing an activation fee on my bill. I was within my 14 day return window when I returned it.

Is this an easy customer service call to remove the activation fee?

edit: Backstory- I was planning on leaving my company, and I had a second home hotspot on my account that's under contract to May. Rather than ETF the contract customer service sent me a iPhone 7 Plus that I didn't care for. I returned it to my local store to swap it for a Pixel. The store rep was unable to replace the iPhone 7 with the Pixel and created a new line after I repeatedly told him I didn't want a third line on my account. He said everything was taken care of and a few days later, sure enough there was a 3rd line on my account. Ultimately I ended up staying with my company and returned the Pixel since I didn't need it any more (company phone).

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 9, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The war of soft caps has started as I have hoped. Today, T-Mobile has increased theirs to 30gb from 28gb. Now, T-Mobile always had a higher cap which Verizon didn't feel compelled to match, but now T-Mobile has made it a marketing point so we'll see if other carriers start responding.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Thanks to a corporate store screw up, I unknowingly activated a new line of service. I returned the phone and had them take the line off but I'm still showing an activation fee on my bill. I was within my 14 day return window when I returned it.

Is this an easy customer service call to remove the activation fee?

edit: Backstory- I was planning on leaving my company, and I had a second home hotspot on my account that's under contract to May. Rather than ETF the contract customer service sent me a iPhone 7 Plus that I didn't care for. I returned it to my local store to swap it for a Pixel. The store rep was unable to replace the iPhone 7 with the Pixel and created a new line after I repeatedly told him I didn't want a third line on my account. He said everything was taken care of and a few days later, sure enough there was a 3rd line on my account. Ultimately I ended up staying with my company and returned the Pixel since I didn't need it any more (company phone).

Yeah, that's calling care or escalating with a store manager. In theory it's a low credit so I don't think you'll get a lot of pushback, but it sounds like the store you went to is kind of lovely if that is a normal practice.

For the record, I'll glad activate as new lines of service, but what you posted wouldn't make sense to. It's just too obvious that the customer (you) would come back and cancel the line anyway, so it wouldn't be worth the time (reps at full charge backs on new lines cancelled within 6 months).

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Confession: I'm not going hog-wild until I verify that the unlimited billing is all good (it does show in my Verizon as on unlimited plan right now but just want to be sure.) So I'm capping myself around 16GB but projected to use eight. :shrug:

Has anyone had billing problems after switching to unlimited or am I just crazy?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 9, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three-Phase posted:

Confession: I'm not going hog-wild until I verify that the unlimited billing is all good (it does show in my Verizon as on unlimited plan right now but just want to be sure.) So I'm capping myself around 16GB but projected to use eight. :shrug:

Has anyone had billing problems after switching to unlimited or am I just crazy?

No billing issues. Just remember if you back date it'll charge appropriately. I backdated my plan and it charged me the extra for the iPad on my account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you are on the unlimited single line plan, is a tablet an additional $20/ month for access?

I know you can add devices to the single line plan, but I cannot find info on the site as to the breakdown of those costs. Confusing things further, I saw mention on one article about the first device besides the phone having a discount, but I don't know how true that is.

You'd think they would be more in your face about it. I would expect to log into my account and have it say "add a hotspot for X, add a tablet for y, add a watch for z." But I don't see the info anywhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So who would I call/see about getting a subsidy that should be in place added to my bill? Call, or go to a corporate VZW store with a billing department?

I'm currently paying ~$58/month for a Pixel and Pixel XL 128, when the cost *should* be around $31-33/month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

If you are on the unlimited single line plan, is a tablet an additional $20/ month for access?

I know you can add devices to the single line plan, but I cannot find info on the site as to the breakdown of those costs. Confusing things further, I saw mention on one article about the first device besides the phone having a discount, but I don't know how true that is.

You'd think they would be more in your face about it. I would expect to log into my account and have it say "add a hotspot for X, add a tablet for y, add a watch for z." But I don't see the info anywhere.

$20 a month for a tab or watch on unlimited data. $10 on any not unlimited data plan.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So who would I call/see about getting a subsidy that should be in place added to my bill? Call, or go to a corporate VZW store with a billing department?

I'm currently paying ~$58/month for a Pixel and Pixel XL 128, when the cost *should* be around $31-33/month.

Call customer care.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

$20 a month for a tab or watch on unlimited data. $10 on any not unlimited data plan.

That's what I thought, though I could have swore seeing that watches were only $5 (not that I really give a poo poo about LTE connected watches.)

So, really, tethering remains the best option to provide data to a tablet unless you are a heavy user month to month. I kinda wish there was a tethering boost option or something. For like 10 or 11 months out of the year, i'd use very little tethering. But the months where I take a vacation and travel somewhere could be a lot heavier in data. Giving a $20 option to push tethering to unlimited for a month would be nice. Just make it so you can't activate it for more than two consecutive months to prevent people from using it as primary internet.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

That's what I thought, though I could have swore seeing that watches were only $5 (not that I really give a poo poo about LTE connected watches.)

So, really, tethering remains the best option to provide data to a tablet unless you are a heavy user month to month. I kinda wish there was a tethering boost option or something. For like 10 or 11 months out of the year, i'd use very little tethering. But the months where I take a vacation and travel somewhere could be a lot heavier in data. Giving a $20 option to push tethering to unlimited for a month would be nice. Just make it so you can't activate it for more than two consecutive months to prevent people from using it as primary internet.

Watches are $5 a month, that is correct.

Yeah, it technically adds 10GB of high speed data to hotspot usage (you get 10 for the phone, 10 for the tab, 3G speeds after that), but otherwise I hear ya. You can always activate and deactivate, but Verizon charges a $30 activation fee every time you throw it on the account (unless you can get them to waive it).

I'm a bit luckier, I get enough of a discount where I just leave it on their and it's nice to have when I need it. I used to use my phone, the biggest gripe I had was Apple has the iPhone time out really quickly if you stop using it, so I found myself constantly reconnecting the hotspot on my iPhone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, the post LTE tethering speeds should be enough most of the time anyways. 600kbps isn't very fast and responsive, but it's still useful.

Netflix just showed off new compression that has a very watchable video at just 100kbps, so things can still work very well.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I love the unlimited but it feels kinda weird. I had a program installed that meticulously monitored cellular data usage that I tended to check almost constantly, and had overage alerts and whatnot set up, and I just uninstalled it.

Kinda like a rehabilitated wild animal climbing out of the transport crate and the humans are all like "GO! SHOO! BE FREE!" but it's kinda scared and confused at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

I love the unlimited but it feels kinda weird. I had a program installed that meticulously monitored cellular data usage that I tended to check almost constantly, and had overage alerts and whatnot set up, and I just uninstalled it.

Kinda like a rehabilitated wild animal climbing out of the transport crate and the humans are all like "GO! SHOO! BE FREE!" but it's kinda scared and confused at first.

Sorry about your OCD.

• Locked thread