Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is definitely in discussions for GOAT and like 100% the best open world game ever. It takes all the great bits from Skyrim, Far Cry 3 onwards, Phantom Pain, and SO MANY MORE and improves upon them while cutting out all the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Escobarbarian posted:

This is definitely in discussions for GOAT and like 100% the best open world game ever. It takes all the great bits from Skyrim, Far Cry 3 onwards, Phantom Pain, and SO MANY MORE and improves upon them while cutting out all the bullshit.

Add Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Journey and even Portal to the list of things this game apes and does magnificently all together at the same time. Its straight bonkers.

And it does it all while looking like Ni No Kuni but better.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, the game is ace, actually having an open world game where you can theoretically just run to the last boss from the start (without glitches) is refreshing.

Though I will say that this game did include crafting and I hate crafting in any game, it gives you a ton of stuff to collect but it becomes too much and really, I don't care about hoarding up different recipes, just give me potions to buy and that's enough.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Add Assassin's Creed, Dark Souls, Journey and even Portal to the list of things this game apes and does magnificently all together at the same time. Its straight bonkers.

And it does it all while looking like Ni No Kuni but better.

I think stealing the portal colors for the portal rooms was a little much . Though if theres anyone out there who deserves to steal gaming ideas its nintendo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Despera posted:

I think stealing the portal colors for the portal rooms was a little much . Though if theres anyone out there who deserves to steal gaming ideas its nintendo

Ha, I can't believe I didn't notice that. That's the ultimate homage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Despera posted:

To be fair, blue and orange are the most popular colors in use today period. Almost every Hollywood film is filtered to be some degree of blue and orange in like half its shots, because they have strong contrast and look way more pleasing than other strongly contrasting colors, and orange matches human skin and blue matches sky, so its a really common pairing of colors.

Lots of multiplayer games have even taken to making the teams Blue vs Orange instead of the classic capture the flag colors of Red vs Blue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kirios posted:

Lmfao at ever playing a Bethesda open world ever again. I feel like I wasted my time with Fallout and Skyrim.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Don't sell your Ancient materials right away

they can upgrade your Sheikah Slate and runes; 3 Ancient Screws lets you upgrade the Sheikah Sensor to look for items/monsters/equips that you've snapped pictures of!

E: oh my god I just realized this thing is the loving Scan Visor with bonus functions, it's Metroid Prime all over again :haw:

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 4, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, blue and orange are the most popular colors in use today period. Almost every Hollywood film is filtered to be some degree of blue and orange in like half its shots, because they have strong contrast and look way more pleasing than other strongly contrasting colors, and orange matches human skin and blue matches sky, so its a really common pairing of colors.

Lots of multiplayer games have even taken to making the teams Blue vs Orange instead of the classic capture the flag colors of Red vs Blue.

There specifically light blue and neon orange in gray room and in breaths case the contrast isn't really necessary. If this isn't a love ode to portal I don't know what is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Despera posted:

There specifically light blue and neon orange in gray room and in breaths case the contrast isn't really necessary. If this isn't a love ode to portal I don't know what is.

A colour palette going from angry cursed orange to a calming friendly blue.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
So uh anyone else get the spa plan :stare:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Is there anyway to climb faster? I'm going to be in retirement by the time I climb all of these towers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Despera posted:

They stole them from Darksiders who stole them from Portal.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Honestly the skyrim influence is more interesting. Parts of the map and many of the towns are near identical.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The game on its own is amazing. The fact that its in my hands, or on my big screen TV, makes me want to say this game alone was worth the price of admission.

Can't wait for mario kart 8 multiplayer races on this thing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is there anyway to climb faster? I'm going to be in retirement by the time I climb all of these towers.

Stamina upgrades will let you use the jump up more often at least.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

s.i.r.e. posted:

There's a set of climbing gear (though I've yet to find the pants).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

It's all personal taste, but I do find taking down an encampment in MGSV to be more thrilling than doing that in this. But that's not the point of this game, where as that's the bread and butter of MGSV. Just saying for me, no one game does it all the best, and I don't find this game does everything better than everybody. But I don't really generally go in looking for a comparison, I just take each game for what it is. I agree it's a lot better than Far Cry 3/4 though for the record, and I'm not a Skyrim fan myself. While MGS5 is one of my top favs.

But anyways, I'm really digging this game, fun stuff! Played probably 8 hours today, and I only got out of the plateau recently. It's cool. Doesn't wow me like Ocarina of Time did (when I played it in 2004), but what does. It'll be cool if it's GOTY, I'm not quite at a point of looking at is as GOAT, but maybe I'll get there when I see some later stuff. I actually liked aspects of FF 15 better than this right off the bat, that felt a bit more addictive to me, but goes to show, it's all personal taste. There being a unanimous pick for best game doesn't really make sense. But this is for me the best Zelda in many years, and off to a good start, I look forward to logging a lot of hours in this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Despera posted:

This the greatest game of all time? seems like it

Played it for 5 hours tonight. I think it just might be

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just turned it off for a bit and immediately thought of something I now can't be bothered to check: if you drop something on the ground and take a photo, does it count towards the photo thing? It counted stuff I was holding when I was taking selfies and stuff, so I guess so, right?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Escobarbarian posted:

Just turned it off for a bit and immediately thought of something I now can't be bothered to check: if you drop something on the ground and take a photo, does it count towards the photo thing? It counted stuff I was holding when I was taking selfies and stuff, so I guess so, right?

Yes.

E: No, it doesn't if you drop it. Weird.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 4, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

LionArcher posted:

Played it for 5 hours tonight. I think it just might be

Have you played Quest for Glory? The early 90s VGA remake of that especially, wandering around a forest, finding unexpected interesting things, becoming a hero, bit of a classic. That just came to mind when I was wandering around the forest in this, making a hand-drawn map of that QfG forest as a kid. There are a lot of quality choices for best game ever, and I can dig that this is some people's choice for that.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Someone already mentioned stamina boosts but you can also get speed boosts from some recipes. I know rushrooms (which are generally found on large mountains) increase speed when cooked.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rip Master Kohga, I hardly knew ye

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Guys guys guys, climb to the very top of the Great Deku Tree for the cutest sidequest

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

El Burbo posted:

Rip Master Kohga, I hardly knew ye

Threw boulders that did 2 hearts of damage. His grunts with giant samurai swords do 9+ hearts and have a billion HP. If he really wanted to kill you he would have just summoned those guys.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Have you played Quest for Glory? The early 90s VGA remake of that especially, wandering around a forest, finding unexpected interesting things, becoming a hero, bit of a classic. That just came to mind when I was wandering around the forest in this, making a hand-drawn map of that QfG forest as a kid. There are a lot of quality choices for best game ever, and I can dig that this is some people's choice for that.

I have not. I have wind walker HD (just got to the forest) and an unopened TP HD (got it last week for the Wolf amiibo) and while at some point I look forward to going back to those games... this is just so much... better. So much my jam. And it looks great on a Wii U.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Haven't played a Zelda esque game in a long time

Spent way longer in the first "dungeon" Oman Au Shrine than I care to admit trying to use the blocks and the platform to get the chest, then the blocks on the other side where the monk is to get onto those platforms around the room.... whice lead to no where and no treasure

:downs:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just played for 11 hours straight, jesus.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

s.i.r.e. posted:

:rip:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Lightning can hit (and kill!) you

E: Whoa, the Lost Woods have a serious Darkroot Garden kinda thing going on

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 4, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Decided to do a stupid thing and kamikaze the bokoblin treehouse.

Landed on the treetop completely by accident and killed most of them with bomb drops. gently caress yeah!

Then jumped off the plateau because why not, and ended up rafting along, scaring ducks and being shot at by octoroks. God alone knows when I'm going to get around to actual quest stuff; Zelda's been waiting 100 years, she can wait a bit longer.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You know, that mercy quarter heart is kind of a waste when you decide to steal it from me anyway when I roll on the ground, game.

Literally got knocked on my rear end and link barely moved but it was enough to push me into game over state. That's loving stupiddd. If I had to voice 2 complaints it would be that the hill damage is really un-needed and stupid and that weapons break way too loving fast. Fought the Lynel the story wanted me to for the Zora's and broke like 5-6 weapons and a bow just to down it. I didn't feel a rush at all or in danger because it's easy as hell to get rushes on them so all it was was a resource drain.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Chances are high someone will die playing this. Stay safe livestreamers!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

(First village spoilers)
Does anyone know how to get the big glowing ball out of Impa's house? I've already found the socket for it in the forest above the town, but Impa stops me whenever I have to take it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
this might actually be my new favorite game ever made

holy poo poo

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Is there any sort of NG+ in this? It's pretty ridiculous to even think about an ending that's several dozens of hours away for me, but I'm curious just because I know I'll replay this once I finally get a Switch.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

breathe in the breath of the wild and go nuts.

you can do anything you want! Anything single thing. gently caress the map. just go wherever. you'll get there.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

They stole them from Darksiders who stole them from Portal.
Way before Portal became Portal, it was a student project at DigiPen - which Nintendo has close ties to. A set of irrelevant circumstances, but still - there's your Nintendo-Portal connection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just met Hestu.

This just might be the best zelda game ever made.