Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Kingdom. I can't speak for the other two, but Kingdom works pretty well for what it sets out to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Also made for annoying google searches where you'd get results for cognitive behavioral therapy and cock and ball torture.

Both of which may be more beneficial to the consumer.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So most Catalyst era Shadowrun art I see is dudes in leather jackets and drab AAA gaming asthetics, why aren't they going full neon again when people are into Perturbator and Drive and all that?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

So most Catalyst era Shadowrun art I see is dudes in leather jackets and drab AAA gaming asthetics, why aren't they going full neon again when people are into Perturbator and Drive and all that?

RPG's are at least 10 years behind the culture curve. When did the OSR start? That was us hitting 70's nostalgia finally. I started gaming at a local store pretty recently and aside from having better phones, these folk are making the same jokes and telling the same gaming stories I heard a decade ago. They were playing the same games too, D20 everything.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 3, 2017

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
So this is a fairly idle question. When games have print-and-play items like decks of cards, how do you handle producing those? Do you print them out on normal paper and glue them carefully to a normal deck of cards, or some other solution? I guess this would also be a question for things like P&P boardgames with boards, do you paste those to posterboard? I know posterboard printers exist but my recollection of them is that they're a bit expensive. I guess for a game you plan to use a few times it might be worth it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

So this is a fairly idle question. When games have print-and-play items like decks of cards, how do you handle producing those? Do you print them out on normal paper and glue them carefully to a normal deck of cards, or some other solution? I guess this would also be a question for things like P&P boardgames with boards, do you paste those to posterboard? I know posterboard printers exist but my recollection of them is that they're a bit expensive. I guess for a game you plan to use a few times it might be worth it.

It depends on the size. For example, I have a ton of bulk Magic cards so if the cards are that size, I print them out on regular paper, then cut them out. Then I take those Magic cards, put them in sleeves and then slip the printed cards in front of the Magic card. I've never printed out a gameboard so you'll have to ask someone else about that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

The vaporwave aesthetic sucks

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Plutonis posted:

The vaporwave aesthetic sucks

It's way better than whatever the gently caress Catalyst calls their aesthetic (and your posting, but that's neither here nor there)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

What I do is get cheap packs of normal playing cards (like from a dollar store), print the cards on regular paper, then use penny sleeves to put the playing card and the printed card together so it has backing. It's a little work-intensive but it's relatively cheap.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 3, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

What I do is get cheap packs of normal playing cards (like from a dollar store), print the cards on regular paper, then use penny sleeves to put the playing card and the printed card together so it has backing. It's a little work-intensive but it's relatively cheap.

Yeah, I was just going to suggest the same thing, except that instead of getting a pack of cards I go to the game store and just grab a handful of Magic basic land cards since most stores are swimming in those things.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I was just going to suggest the same thing, except that instead of getting a pack of cards I go to the game store and just grab a handful of Magic basic land cards since most stores are swimming in those things.

Many stores don't just hand out lands, they'll only give them to people who are actually playing. Some even ask people to put them back after they're done. It's not a limitless resource.

Just buy packs of standard playing cards if you don't have a million cards banging around. Your average sleeve is poker card sized anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I got a nice bonus at work this week and went on a little shopping spree on DTRPG's sale to make me feel better after a bad day.

I now own every game by Covok, and also picked up Patrol and Hell on Treads from Newstand Press.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I got a nice bonus at work this week and went on a little shopping spree on DTRPG's sale to make me feel better after a bad day.

I now own every game by Covok, and also picked up Patrol and Hell on Treads from Newstand Press.

If you wanted to feel better after a bad day, buy my games were a poor choice.

I joking, of course, and thanks for buying them: I hope they make you feel better. Sorry to hear you had a bad day today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

If you wanted to feel better after a bad day, buy my games were a poor choice.

I joking, of course, and thanks for buying them: I hope they make you feel better. Sorry to hear you had a bad day today.

You're welcome! It was mostly of my own doing - I had an important meeting at work that I just plum slept right on through so I had to spend the rest of the day picking up after myself and catching up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're welcome! It was mostly of my own doing - I had an important meeting at work that I just plum slept right on through so I had to spend the rest of the day picking up after myself and catching up.

Oh, that's rough. I hope things worked out afterwards.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I came close to losing my job once because my boss missed his most important meeting of the year. Turned out the organizer never contacted me about it at all.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I'm playing a greek mythology inspired Pokemon Tabletop United game as a Scythian mounted archer girl who rides a skiddo and an onix.

how is ptu in play? i've tried skimming through the rules but surprisingly it comes off rules-dense enough that i doubt i'll ever power through it unless i was actually gonna play it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

how is ptu in play? i've tried skimming through the rules but surprisingly it comes off rules-dense enough that i doubt i'll ever power through it unless i was actually gonna play it

It's surprisingly rules-dense because the videogame is surprisingly rules-dense as well. I had fun gming it a few years ago and this game is actually pretty fast-paced and so, it's not that hard to memorize some stuff, although I have to keep some charts at hand with me all the time alongside the sheet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i mean yeah there is the video game origin aspect, it was just weird at first glance for a franchise for kids to have a fangame that's not more easily approachable

but whatevs, it seems like it knows it's audience is gonna be mid-20s nerdos at least semi-into pen & paper stuff and i can't fault it for that

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Plutonis posted:

It's surprisingly rules-dense because the videogame is surprisingly rules-dense as well. I had fun gming it a few years ago and this game is actually pretty fast-paced and so, it's not that hard to memorize some stuff, although I have to keep some charts at hand with me all the time alongside the sheet.

Yeah, I've ran it and played in it and actually enjoyed it a fair amount. It helps the revisions they've put out tend to be actually pretty big improvements. It's insanely crunchy, but surprisingly balanced. It ports enough of the video game logic that a lot of the competitive Pokemon strategizing from the games ports over.

That said, the revisions resulted in the amazing bit where after the campaign I played in my character (an in-universe rules lawyer) won second place in the World Tournament, the next version removed or changed everything that made the build work. Queue jokes the League immediately changed all the rules to prevent a travesty like their tournament run ever again.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yesssssss... there's coming an African Bush Wars expansion soon. Co-written by me. :3:

Thank you for showing interest in PATROL! You're awesome!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i mean yeah there is the video game origin aspect, it was just weird at first glance for a franchise for kids to have a fangame that's not more easily approachable

but whatevs, it seems like it knows it's audience is gonna be mid-20s nerdos at least semi-into pen & paper stuff and i can't fault it for that

It's a fangame! Also unrelated but I really wish someone did one for Fire Emblem.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

It's a fangame! Also unrelated but I really wish someone did one for Fire Emblem.

i spent like 5 years of my teenagedom on a fire emblem message board where we did little fights with OCs using the in-game stat calculations and using random.org for all our attack rolls and level-ups

so yeah, :same:'d in a way i've never :same:'d before

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

wondering what game to run next?

Here you go:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=827628497

Yes that is a Mi-go with a braincase.

There are MORE!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It feels to me almost like something that was created as a parody. I know it's not, but...

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Really want to start a thread to explain rīchi mahjong/convince goons to hop on Tenhou and play a game of magic, mystery, and seemingly impenetrable rules. TG feels somewhat appropriate, but I have no idea if anyone wants to bother actually looking at another giant wall of text about an arcane gambling game.

Either way, I have been playing the gently caress outta some mahjong again, and learning how to properly score hands in rīchi is basically diving into wizardry mixed with tiny tiles. Especially with removed limits for practicing why there are limits - aoutenjou scores can require scientific notation to properly list, so things get hilarious.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

Kingdom, a later game by the same author, happens in linear time.

You might also want to have a look at Questlandia or Downfall.

Thanks! I think Downfall is the one I was aware of, the others do sound cool.

We played Microscope and royally hosed up the world, so fun to see what happens next.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hedningen posted:

Really want to start a thread to explain rīchi mahjong/convince goons to hop on Tenhou and play a game of magic, mystery, and seemingly impenetrable rules. TG feels somewhat appropriate, but I have no idea if anyone wants to bother actually looking at another giant wall of text about an arcane gambling game.

Either way, I have been playing the gently caress outta some mahjong again, and learning how to properly score hands in rīchi is basically diving into wizardry mixed with tiny tiles. Especially with removed limits for practicing why there are limits - aoutenjou scores can require scientific notation to properly list, so things get hilarious.

There was a Mahjong thread not long ago but it's got almost no replies. Think it's on the last page?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Zzarchov Kowolski, the creator of the excellent cursed-town generation system Scenic Dunnsmouth published a Haunted House generator that utilizes a deck of cards to generate a unique house and ghostly beastie to inhabit it.

The Price of Evil: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/164250/The-Price-of-Evil

I just bought it and (as a GM) I'm loving it.

quote:

Haunted houses are a staple of horror movies. Despite having an interior contained environment full of monsters they also tend to be ill-suited to role-playing games featuring treasure hungry transients with a penchant for violence. Something about their flammable nature I suppose.

Th is adventure toolkit presumes you want to have a game (or series of games) where the players attempt to survive and solve a haunted house without resorting to arson. Understand that is a big if as there is something satisfying about the moment when the players around the table look at one another and silently vote that the time for interacting with the horror filled creation of your imagination has ended and the time for fire has begun.

The hook for this toolkit is simple and repeatable. Haunted Houses are often abandoned and available for sale at very low prices (say 2000gp), due their habit of either killing their inhabitants or driving them insane . This makes a great opportunity for PC’s, who excel at battling the supernatural, to greatly improve the value of a sprawling mansion by ridding it of its otherworldly inhabitants. Either they will be able to buy a Haunted House or they will be contacted by an agent looking to hire them for a share of the profits. Should this go well, the PC’s could go into business doing this from time to time, as this work is a quick haunted house generator. Even if the PC’s have no interest to play “Flip this Haunted House”, you can use this to generate simple haunted houses in a pinch.

I'm even coming up with ideas for Call of Cthulhu haunted houses with this toolkit. For $8, it is great!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Helical Nightmares posted:

Zzarchov Kowolski, the creator of the excellent cursed-town generation system Scenic Dunnsmouth published a Haunted House generator that utilizes a deck of cards to generate a unique house and ghostly beastie to inhabit it.

The Price of Evil: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/164250/The-Price-of-Evil

I just bought it and (as a GM) I'm loving it.

I'm even coming up with ideas for Call of Cthulhu haunted houses with this toolkit. For $8, it is great!

Those both seem really neat. Any examples of the sort content it outputs?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the subject of mahjong, I got a set for Christmas that I've been meaning to whip out and learn. It's specifically an American set, but I understand it wouldn't take much to adapt it for riichi.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, hey, I recently picked up Coriolis (gorgeous book, just frigging gorgeous) and I am spoiling to run a game for my regular group, any particular quirks I should be aware of before we start next week?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Since people were asking I emailed Brad Talton and he said the Millennium Blades art book should be going up for sale on Friday. :)

Hey, this is going on the Level 99 store, right? I haven't seen it yet, either it's not up or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Play as alt-right witches in my new game: Bellum #MAGA, coming soon.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Plutonis posted:

Play as alt-right witches in my new game: Bellum #MAGA, coming soon.

Please don't normalize things like witches.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Been watching a bunch of cowboy stuff lately, and I've still got a bit of an itch to run a PbP, so I gotta ask a question of everyone.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fuego Fish posted:

Been watching a bunch of cowboy stuff lately, and I've still got a bit of an itch to run a PbP, so I gotta ask a question of everyone.

Pretty much any historical genre can be improved by the addition of fantasy stuff or weird tech, if applied judiciously and with an eye for the aestetics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

Weird West is always better, really wish you weren't going to do it as a PBP cause I've been really wanting to be in a game lately but no one is doing anything except PBP and it's incredibly frustrating

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

Weird West is always better, really wish you weren't going to do it as a PBP cause I've been really wanting to be in a game lately but no one is doing anything except PBP and it's incredibly frustrating

You'd be poo poo outta luck anyway considering we don't share a timezone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

You'd be poo poo outta luck anyway considering we don't share a timezone.

I don't work or go to school(or have a life in general) so timezones aren't really a big issues on my end:saddowns:

• Locked thread