Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Breath Ray posted:

You'd be surprised at the range of products you can create through processing fish.

You can, but you also don't have to fish them up yourself. Processing fish would clearly fall under the processed goods part of the economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The EU has without question stunted our agricultural sector. When quotas came in the average livestock farmer was at retirement age with very low levels of literacy, and the younger generation had very little interest at getting up at 4am in the snow. The quota are worth far far more than the land and big business pay a premium. No poo poo all the farmers sold up and buggered off to Spain. In the early days the new mega farms also wanted the land but they only wanted the minimum they could get away with for efficiency's sake, which has left us with miles and miles of land that by law cannot be farmed and is worth £fuckall. You remove the restrictions on what farmers can and cannot farm then you will end up with an explosion of small innovative businesses, probably focusing on the kind of intensive farming they have in china and japan.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

OwlFancier posted:

I did not know that NI had official rules about dealing with nationalists/unionists.

That's... frankly a remarkably good idea but I'm astonished people managed to agree to it.

It's not much different than the ridiculous mess in Bosnia where different religions have to have different roles in the government as per the constitution.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

The EU has without question stunted our agricultural sector. When quotas came in the average livestock farmer was at retirement age with very low levels of literacy, and the younger generation had very little interest at getting up at 4am in the snow. The quota are worth far far more than the land and big business pay a premium. No poo poo all the farmers sold up and buggered off to Spain. In the early days the new mega farms also wanted the land but they only wanted the minimum they could get away with for efficiency's sake, which has left us with miles and miles of land that by law cannot be farmed and is worth £fuckall. You remove the restrictions on what farmers can and cannot farm then you will end up with an explosion of small innovative businesses, probably focusing on the kind of intensive farming they have in china and japan.

Yeah, I'm sure that the plucky British farmer is going to do super well after a couple of years when they're actually facing the protectionist agricultural policies of the EU rather than being shielded by them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

learnincurve posted:

The EU has without question stunted our agricultural sector. When quotas came in the average livestock farmer was at retirement age with very low levels of literacy, and the younger generation had very little interest at getting up at 4am in the snow.

Clearly a great, enviable and sustainable model which was trampled by the EU.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Private Speech posted:

Clearly a great, enviable and sustainable model which was trampled by the EU.

Don't be a snob, literacy and intelligence are not one and the same thing. If they hadn't sold to big business then we would have seen the rise of farm managers. Quotas came in in 1994, that' a hell of a long time for an entire industry being legally not allowed to grow and covers a huge amount of technological development that hasn't happened. In that time period china has worked out how to force grow crops. We have been force growing Rhubarb since the early 1800s, that knowledge coupled with modern technology could have gone somewhere, but we are not allowed to because it wouldn't be fair on the other EU countries with piss poor land.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm not sure copying China's agriculture methods is necessarily the best idea

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

learnincurve posted:

Don't be a snob, literacy and intelligence are not one and the same thing. If they hadn't sold to big business then we would have seen the rise of farm managers. Quotas came in in 1994, that' a hell of a long time for an entire industry being legally not allowed to grow and covers a huge amount of technological development that hasn't happened. In that time period china has worked out how to force grow crops. We have been force growing Rhubarb since the early 1800s, that knowledge coupled with modern technology could have gone somewhere,

Farming gets giant subsidies to be viable in the UK, and the quotas are partly based on that, since if you paid the same amount of money per kilogram of produce to all farmers then you'd be massively disadvantaging non-intensive farming.

quote:

but we are not allowed to because it wouldn't be fair on the other EU countries with piss poor land.

loving seriously? What century are you living in. That China, such great land without hills. Or California and Russia, the biggest producers or fruit and cereal respectively. Certainly no desert or frozen land there, unlike the UK.

e: And before you go all why can California, Russia and China do it but not us. Well deserts (though not real deserts like Sahara or w/e mind you) are actually quite good for certain kinds of farming, particularly forcing that you mention, what with all the sun and all. That covers California, but see also Spain if you want an example closer in the EU (have a look in Tesco sometime how much stuff is grown there). As for Russia and China, lower wages = lower production costs = more produce for the same cost.

Somehow I don't see the idea of UK gaining a subtropical/desert climate or reaching Chinese farm wages as very reasonable.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 4, 2017

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
being able to read is pretty important in the 21st century imho

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

iunno, there are times in this thread when I drat Miss Smith and Roderick The Red for ever teaching me to read.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XMNN posted:

The current President of the United States might disagree.

If, y'know, he was able to read that comment.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Farming gets giant subsidies to be viable in the UK, and the quotas are partly based on that, since if you paid the same amount of money per kilogram of produce to all farmers then you'd be massively disadvantaging non-intensive farming. And what point is there in producing more, when it's lossy in the first place?

loving seriously? What century are you living in. That China, such great land without hills. Or California and Russia, the biggest producers or fruit and cereal respectively. Certainly no desert or frozen land there, unlike the UK.

e: And before you go all why can California, Russia and China do it but not us. Well deserts (though not real deserts like Sahara or w/e mind you) are actually quite good for certain kinds of farming, particularly forcing that you mention, what with all the sun and all. That covers California, but see also Spain if you want an example closer in the EU (have a look in Tesco sometime how much stuff is grown there). As for Russia and China, lower wages = lower production costs = more produce for the same cost.

Somehow I don't see the idea of UK gaining a subtropical/desert climate or reaching Chinese farm wages as very reasonable.

How familiar are you with the climate change thread

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The DUP being down to 28 means that petitions of concern on same-sex marriage need MLAs for three parties to cosign.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Get it up them imo.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Did anyone see that programme about farming where they said after the Iranian revolution or whatever the Americans stopped importing pistachios from iran and started producing their own and now they're doing incredibly well and they have big automatic treeshaking machines that gather them.

Of course there are some who believe that the Americans would be better off paying a premium to import the nuts as raw materials and doing only the post pick processing :laugh:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the uk should grow more of its own food but unless we start growing opium poppies i dont think its going to make a significant impact on the economy tbh

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
also you just have to look at the meltdown everyone had over not being able to buy courgettes in the middle of winter for a preview of the hearty lols to come

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

XMNN posted:

the uk should grow more of its own food but unless we start growing opium poppies i dont think its going to make a significant impact on the economy tbh

Sassafras would be good if grown industrially

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

XMNN posted:

You could sell them to China, whether they wanted to buy them or not

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

Sassafras would be good if grown industrially

I would take Brave New World over our current reality so yeah I'm on board

XMNN posted:

you could spin this as the poppy economy and every tory fucker would love it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Now you're using the old noggin

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

As long as there is a solid guaranteed supply of high quality diamorphine id fully support the growing and legalization of it. At least you dont potentially die when withdrawing like you do with alcohol. gently caress load cheaper than booze as well.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jose posted:

I don't know, maybe if we killed off all the sparrows we could triple the agricultural output of Brexitland

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
As long as we abolish hill farming in the uk, I'm good. gently caress paying farmers to raise sheep at a loss that do nothing but maintain our highland areas in their current state of barren wastelands. Kill all the sheep and let the forests grow back!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Seaside Loafer posted:

As long as there is a solid guaranteed supply of high quality diamorphine id fully support the growing and legalization of it. At least you dont potentially die when withdrawing like you do with alcohol. gently caress load cheaper than booze as well.

Suicide is a risk with opiate withdrawals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sterilize all natalists.

hakimashou posted:

You could sell them to China, whether they wanted to buy them or not
They did want to buy them. Their population wanted to buy them. Their portmasters and city governors wanted to buy them. Their intellectuals wanted to establish plantations and undercut the British. The only person that was against the whole thing was their autocratic manchild emperor and his batshit insane religious advisors.

Giving him a black eye and stealing all his tax barges was overall a good thing, and the biggest shame is that China didn't repay the favor on Westminster over the mephedrone scandal.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pistol_Pete posted:

As long as we abolish hill farming in the uk, I'm good. gently caress paying farmers to raise sheep at a loss that do nothing but maintain our highland areas in their current state of barren wastelands. Kill all the sheep and let the forests grow back!

The picturesque countryside is one of the last good things your benighted isles have left...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

I kind of enjoy the stark, barren wasteland nature of the Highlands. It's pretty.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Im with you Pistol_Pete, whenever I buy my favorite my favorite carnivore meat, lamb, its seems to come from new-zealand anyway so that trade deal cant possibly be effected by brexit can it.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Suicide is a risk with opiate withdrawals.
Only if you cant get more of it see

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Guavanaut posted:

Sterilize all natalists.

They did want to buy them. Their population wanted to buy them. Their portmasters and city governors wanted to buy them. Their intellectuals wanted to establish plantations and undercut the British. The only person that was against the whole thing was their autocratic manchild emperor and his batshit insane religious advisors.

Giving him a black eye and stealing all his tax barges was overall a good thing, and the biggest shame is that China didn't repay the favor on Westminster over the mephedrone scandal.

Getting people hooked on opiates is a really bad thing. Imperialist drug-slavery apologist.

I am pretty inflexible in my views on the death penalty but it's awfully tempting to make an exception for traffickers in addictive drugs.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Seaside Loafer posted:

Only if you cant get more of it see

It's no way to live. Drug addiction seriously compromises your free will and makes you less human. A cure for drug addiction would be one of the most beneficial of all medical discoveries.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

We grow more of our own food than we have at any point since before we had an empire. If we weren't so enamoured with out-of-season fruit and veg and foods that can't grow here we'd be very close to self-sufficiency. All while employing less people in agriculture than we do as estate agents. Efficiency is not a problem in UK agriculture. Paying what it actually costs to grow food here *will* be a problem once we leave the EU.

e: Incidentally farm-gate prices for most cereals are considerably higher than for opium poppies, FWIW.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

It's no way to live. Drug addiction seriously compromises your free will and makes you less human. A cure for drug addiction would be one of the most beneficial of all medical discoveries.

As usual you're an uninformed twat.

The conditions of drug addiction dehumanise you. Certain drugs will dehumanise you. Taking heroin every day is a perfectly sustainable method of life, as literally everywhere that treats it with more heroin demonstrates. Their recoveries are quicker, their recidivism is lower.

You don't treat someone with a coping mechanism by removing their coping mechanism and shouting "get over it". You treat it by establishing what the cause of this need is, and remove the coping mechanism only when that cause is dealt with.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Incidentally the treatment for America's heroin problem is incredibly simple. End the war on drugs, give them daily heroin and multiple-weekly therapy. It's not loving complicated.

e; for anyone who isn't a rape apologist with no wish to better their filthy self, here is a paper article on the idea, and should anyone wish for more info then I've got some staff testimonies from Dr Marks clinic, like so.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 4, 2017

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Spangly A posted:

As usual you're an uninformed twat.

The conditions of drug addiction dehumanise you. Certain drugs will dehumanise you. Taking heroin every day is a perfectly sustainable method of life, as literally everywhere that treats it with more heroin demonstrates. Their recoveries are quicker, their recidivism is lower.

You don't treat someone with a coping mechanism by removing their coping mechanism and shouting "get over it". You treat it by establishing what the cause of this need is, and remove the coping mechanism only when that cause is dealt with.

I didn't say you should.

Saying "you shouldn't push addictive drugs on people, it's wrong" shouldn't be controversial, even here and even with you.

I don't know the answer to drug addiction, but I do know that if we did discover an answer it would make life significantly better for a significant number of people.

And I don't have a sympathetic bone in my body for people who profit from getting people hooked on narcotics.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 4, 2017

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

hakimashou posted:

I don't know the answer to drug addiction, but I do know that if we did discover an answer it

I do, we did, I even told you what it was.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Spangly A posted:

I do, we did, I even told you what it was.

How does that help people who don't want to be drug addicted anymore spangly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spangly A posted:

Taking heroin every day is a perfectly sustainable method of life,

I think the list of perma'd posters in TCC disproves this

• Locked thread