Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Chiming in to say I think the Prius looks terrible, but I don't think Toyota's corporate design language will change any time soon. A drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I quite like the new Prius - the whole point of them has always been 'look at my hybrid' they've never been elegant designs.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

davebo posted:

This is 100% accurate except that I don't think future cars will all look like they're trying to poo poo out a Porsche.

It's BMW's new design language. The i3 looks like it's making GBS threads out an Audi.

What's next?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Ferrari's way ahead of the curve on this one. Here you see the snek California almost finished eating a CLS

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

dissss posted:

I quite like the new Prius - the whole point of them has always been 'look at my hybrid' they've never been elegant designs.

Yea, it's not that it's bad, it's that people don't get it. Which isn't to say that everyone should like it, taste is pretty subjective and the design is obviously not directed toward the demographic that inhabits internet car forums, but the Prius and other modern Toyota designs are in no way "bad".

I've also never owned a Toyota, :lol: at the fanboy comment.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

RIP EPA standards, and in a surprise twist the shitheads are also going to try and prevent California from setting stricter regulations:

wp posted:

Two associations representing the world’s biggest automakers last week asked EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt to reconsider the standards for model years 2022 to 2025, which would require the nation’s car and light-truck fleet to average 54.5 miles per gallon by the end of that period.

While automakers struck a 2009 deal with the Obama administration to set the first-ever carbon limits on cars and trucks, many of them now say it will be difficult to achieve these long-term targets given the lower price of gas and Americans’ preference for sport-utility vehicles. The EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration agreed to review the 2022-2025 standards when they set them five years ago, but the EPA concluded in December that no revision was necessary. It finalized the standards a week before Trump took office.

According to individuals briefed on the matter, the new administration also is considering issuing an executive order that would revoke California’s ability to set its own, tighter targets for those model years. California is the only state allowed to do so under the Clean Air Act, but other states can adopt its regulations as their own.

Margo Oge, who directed the EPA’s office of transportation and air quality from 1994 to 2012, said in an email that the agency’s recent decision to lock in the fuel-efficiency rule “was made on sound science and thousands of man hours of analysis.”

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Wheeee posted:

the Prius and other modern Toyota designs are in no way "bad".

How does it feel to be so wrong? Are you this wrong about other things in your life?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The current prius is an an abortion on wheels. It's offensive to look at and I hate people that buy them because I have to see them. It's similar to how I feel about the Accord Crosstour and X6 but visually offensive instead of morally.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Wistful of Dollars posted:

They're working on a V-smaller-than-90.

Working on?

It's been out for years

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

BloodBag posted:

Yup. And they're hot as gently caress, especially when next to some melted candle Porsche abortion.

Shame it'll probably remain overseas :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

On the new platform, ya dingus.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Pryor on Fire posted:

RIP EPA standards, and in a surprise twist the shitheads are also going to try and prevent California from setting stricter regulations:

never feel bad for california

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Jymmybob posted:

never feel bad for california

I used to feel this way until moving here. A lot of people live here and the emissions are terrible at as it is. Even motorcycling through some sections leaves you not feeling good from the fumes.

I left my Porsche in Chicago and got a Tesla for this exact reason. I still enjoy driving it when there, lest you think I'm some electric car truther,

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

I used to feel this way until moving here. A lot of people live here and the emissions are terrible at as it is. Even motorcycling through some sections leaves you not feeling good from the fumes.

I left my Porsche in Chicago and got a Tesla for this exact reason. I still enjoy driving it when there, lest you think I'm some electric car truther,

God dammit it's been a year, I told you I will take care of your car at Trump Tower. Just want to keep it running every week or so. :(

serious btw

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

The Sicilian posted:

The best parts of CA are nowhere near LA. Places like Arroyo Grande or San Luis Obispo are peak California, all of which are on the central coast and don't have smog problems like the LA basin. Shame there's not much work or industry there, because I'd be living there otherwise.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A few friends of mine have worked on the Land Rover Velar and stupid name aside I'm kinda digging it. Luxo as gently caress. The Union Jack pattern punched into the leather sounds like it'd be awful buuuuuuuuut is actually pretty rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEz3tuXrw9o

One think I like about the Velar is that they're offering a luxury cloth upholstery option for people who've realised that leather is a terrible material for seats, rather than just having cloth as the "Oh, well, if you can't afford leather then here's the poverty-spec" default.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Itzena posted:

One think I like about the Velar is that they're offering a luxury cloth upholstery option for people who've realised that leather is a terrible material for seats, rather than just having cloth as the "Oh, well, if you can't afford leather then here's the poverty-spec" default.

BMW needs to get with the program on that. Specifically MINI. They'll have all their base model poo poo in vinyl and call it leatherette and it's just awful. You have to get certain trims to get the fabric with leather trimmed seats. I hate my wife's car for the permanent rear end-sweat situation in that thing. I could lose some weight, but :effort:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This may be old news but Chevy is doing 20% off the 2017 Chevy SS, which knocks most of them down to $38k - $40k.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

I honestly wouldn't want anything built off their new architecture until they get the electrical system to be more reliable. The 2016 XC90's have had lots of problems and its looking like the S90's are having the same issues. They had claimed to have the XC90's problems fixed but my dealership is still getting plenty of new ones back in with electrical issues.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Sicilian posted:

Isn't that less because of new cars and more because the lack of rust means lots of people still drive clapped out 80s shitboxes

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Can they make a V90 for poors? I would buy that in an instant.

I really wanted a V50 but ended up with my Vibe because boring Toyota reliability. It's just my beater anyway.

The V50 is a little more wagon-ish though and the perfect size.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Hughmoris posted:

This may be old news but Chevy is doing 20% off the 2017 Chevy SS, which knocks most of them down to $38k - $40k.

Buy it! Best year to get with colors, only thing is it has machined not forged wheels and they painted the calipers red for some reason.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Hughmoris posted:

If they are anything like the G8 GXP, you can sell a 6MT for $33k in ten years.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Michael Scott posted:

God dammit it's been a year, I told you I will take care of your car at Trump Tower. Just want to keep it running every week or so. :(

serious btw

Hahaha I was just there during the recent warm spell, went for a tuneup at Loeber and then blasted back on LSD.

Lately I've been out that way significantly more; otherwise I might just take you up on your offer.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Isn't that less because of new cars and more because the lack of rust means lots of people still drive clapped out 80s shitboxes

Yes! That and the diesels from Mexico with NO emissions, blows my mind no one blows the whistle on either of these things.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's because LA is sandwiched between a mountain and the ocean, so the smog can't effectively dissipate and it just builds. If everyone was driving 2017 MY cars there'd still be smog. There really, really aren't enough shitboxes rolling around in comparison to the number of cars <10 years old to make any significant impact on the air quality.

Recent times the air has been bad because of the drought not bringing any rain, but it's still nothing compared to how bad it was compared to even the late 90s.

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 6, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

The Sicilian posted:

Hahaha I was just there during the recent warm spell, went for a tuneup at Loeber and then blasted back on LSD.

Lately I've been out that way significantly more; otherwise I might just take you up on your offer.

Those on-ramps can be real nice. If you ever need any help let me know, michaelscottsa@gmail.com.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I've strongly considered an SS but I decided I'd much rather put half as much money to a Lancia Fulvia instead.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

You're in luck:
http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/07/2018-volvo-xc60-geneva-2017/

I bet the S/V 60 will be announced soon also.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Am I the only one who thinks the Audi A5 line looks weird? The way curves around the front wheel arches transition into nothing but straight lines at the door and then get curvy again in the back makes me think it was designed by a committee.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Speaking of that, Audi unveiled the new RS5 Coupe today.

It uses the new 2.9L twin V6 that's also found in the new Pamamera. In the RS5 it puts out 450 HP and 443 lb-ft of torque.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oh no, directional wheels.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Mr. Apollo posted:

Speaking of that, Audi unveiled the new RS5 Coupe today.

It uses the new 2.9L twin V6 that's also found in the new Pamamera. In the RS5 it puts out 450 HP and 443 lb-ft of torque.

Looks like a Model S coupe with disgusting wheels.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What the hell is with those wheels? Terrible.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Michael Scott posted:

What the hell is with those wheels? Terrible.

They sorta remind me of old old Nissan Pulsar hubcaps for some reason.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yeah, the wheel designers at VW must never parallel park.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, the wheel designers at VW must never parallel park.

They only sell to customers with superior parking skills :smuggo:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Do curb feelers need to make a comeback lol?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Well they did it boys, VW finally came out with stock wheels uglier than the GTI horseshoe.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Audi is the nicest Audi for a while. It's still stunningly boring to look at though. Audi have really cornered the market in middle of the road car design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

Oh no, directional wheels.

HaHa they put the wheels on backwards for the photo shoot. (Directional wheels own for all the posts about how they are on backwards)