Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Phylodox posted:

It had a transcendentally good soundtrack, and it was really, really pretty to look at. My wife loves it. She calls it alternately her favourite Daft Punk music video and her favourite screen saver.

Interstella 5555 is the best Daft Punk video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Interstella 5555 is the best Daft Punk video.

it's also a better movie than tron legacy, irrespective of daft punk

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The MSJ posted:

I feel obligated to watch Ghost In The Shell because an actor from my country is playing a supporting character in it.

you a dane?

I lolled when I saw it was Pilou Asbæk who's going to play Batou. He's a fantastic actor, but I have a hard time seeing him as a huge buff guy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apes-Ma posted:

Mira Excalibur.

Please tell me this is true. I've made that joke so much since Motoko Kusanagi is like the Japanese equivalent of a soap opera name.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

They should name her Cortana, tint all scenes blue, and get a huge sum of money from microsoft

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

you a dane?

I lolled when I saw it was Pilou Asbæk who's going to play Batou. He's a fantastic actor, but I have a hard time seeing him as a huge buff guy.

Malaysian. He's playing an original character that apparently shares a lot of scenes with ScarJo.

This Pilou guy does look Chris Pratt-y. Unsurprisingly, he was also in Game of Thrones.

Are his eyes looking in different directions?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

Malaysian. He's playing an original character that apparently shares a lot of scenes with ScarJo.

This Pilou guy does look Chris Pratt-y. Unsurprisingly, he was also in Game of Thrones.

Ohh hah. I just naturally assumed that any "foreign" actor would be the one I knew. I don't think I've seen Pete Teo in a movie, is he good in general?

Yea Pilou is kinda walleyed lol

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

There is also this set picture:

My money's on them playing up the question of identity by having the old Kusanagi be "dead" before they rebuild her into something different. So Motoko would be the "original", and Mira would be the cyborg.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What's with the plate of bananas in the corner?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

I get more of a "Joshua Jackson during a particularly bad off-season of Fringe" look from him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger posted:

Ghost food.

Powaqoatse posted:

Ohh hah. I just naturally assumed that any "foreign" actor would be the one I knew. I don't think I've seen Pete Teo in a movie, is he good in general?

I honestly haven't seen him in much, but I did like this election PSA music video he did (that was banned because apparently putting someone in a Jabba The Hutt costume in front of a picture of Prime Minister Najib Razak is 'suggestive' [of him eating up public funds, I guess]).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1hllAhSXLA

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ruddiger posted:

Grave offering. It's common in Southeast Asia.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Phylodox posted:

It had a transcendentally good soundtrack, and it was really, really pretty to look at. My wife loves it. She calls it alternately her favourite Daft Punk music video and her favourite screen saver.

The plot is good too without being super front and center.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Tron might be rebootted with Jared Leto. Disney's got to burn all that Avengers cash somehow

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tron-reboot-jared-leto-circling-lead-role-new-disney-film-982575
TRON Legacy was loving great and a feast for the senses but I don't know how they could do something else like that without having it feeling like a retread. It had such a unique style to it. It was, to me at least, more iconic than the original in every way. I still listen to Daft Punk's score from it regularly. Not sure if they could recapture that kind of magic again for me.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

TRON Legacy was loving great and a feast for the senses but I don't know how they could do something else like that without having it feeling like a retread. It had such a unique style to it. It was, to me at least, more iconic than the original in every way. I still listen to Daft Punk's score from it regularly. Not sure if they could recapture that kind of magic again for me.

Yeah it was like Heavy Metal but in a computer. I wish I had seen it more than once in theaters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Aside from the Daft Punk score my favorite thing about Legacy was Michael Sheen in maximum scenery-chewing glory beneath his bishounen fuckboi wig and makeup. A future Tron movie could benefit a lot from more of that kind of irreverent levity applied to a computer world, especially if they hope to invoke the internet in the same way that Wreck-It Ralph 2 promises.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Mann posted:

Actually nerds hate Snyder because he's a big dumb frat guy Fake Nerd ruining the sanctity of their precious comic book adaptations.

Sorry cinema nerds.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The MSJ posted:

I honestly haven't seen him in much, but I did like this election PSA music video he did (that was banned because apparently putting someone in a Jabba The Hutt costume in front of a picture of Prime Minister Najib Razak is 'suggestive' [of him eating up public funds, I guess]).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1hllAhSXLA

that song's catchy as heck though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

undilah~

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

IUG posted:

I really don't understand this argument people have against the army in films. If they're being asked to be in a film, then they of course would only want to represent themselves positively. Not a lot of people would appear in the film if it made them look like a fascist or racist. So if you want those million dollar tanks or planes to show up in a film, then you're going to want to be represented well in the final product. Otherwise, good luck to your props and vfx department.

Said as a doughy white boy who has never served.

Does anyone have that article about this? I remember aside from the refusal to give assistance, there was also stuff like refusing to allow certain movies to be played for the benefit of military service members because the content angered the brass. Like the word-for-word quotes from high ranking military officials in Thirteen Days or some Clint Eastwood movie where an American soldier shoots someone who has surrendered.

My favorite story was about how in the the 50s or so they got really upset about a film that was "black fighter pilot and jewish fighter pilot overcome racism to become heroes in WW2" and they watered it down to "a black fighter pilot and a jewish fighter pilot fly some sorties with the full support of their white colleagues"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ghost in the Shell suddenly swapped out The Major's name from Motoko Kusanagi to Mira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

Not sure if it is just part of some bigger thing or if they actually changed her name for the movie.
Seems appropriate

Powaqoatse posted:

They should name her Cortana, tint all scenes blue, and get a huge sum of money from microsoft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPwl1gtGM4

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Interestingly enough, the new Tron movie is presumably entirely because of the Chinese market. Shanghai Disneyland is opening soon and their major attraction is a state-of-the-art Tron lightcycle ride. That was planned and designed back when the last movie was in production.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Why are they making the main character from Ghost in a Shell appear younger and younger every time she shows up somewhere?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why are they making the main character from Ghost in a Shell appear younger and younger every time she shows up somewhere?

This was a tie-in for the prequel series.

Also, I dunno why they don't have people just call her the Major in the film. People rarely used her actual name in the series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

TTBF posted:

Does anyone have that article about this? I remember aside from the refusal to give assistance, there was also stuff like refusing to allow certain movies to be played for the benefit of military service members because the content angered the brass. Like the word-for-word quotes from high ranking military officials in Thirteen Days or some Clint Eastwood movie where an American soldier shoots someone who has surrendered.

My favorite story was about how in the the 50s or so they got really upset about a film that was "black fighter pilot and jewish fighter pilot overcome racism to become heroes in WW2" and they watered it down to "a black fighter pilot and a jewish fighter pilot fly some sorties with the full support of their white colleagues"

A good recent one to bring up is how the military completely refused to let The Hurt Locker use any actual equipment or locations or provide any sort of expert consultation because of its anti-war message. Because then after it won Best Picture the one big :stoke: against its portrayal of the war on terror was that the technical details of the way it portrayed things like bomb defusals and sniper duels were totally inaccurate and it's like gee, now whose fault is that?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Ah, fair enough.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, I dunno why they don't have people just call her the Major in the film. People rarely used her actual name in the series.

They should and then after the credits we find out it was really a sequel to Major Dad

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

They should and then after the credits we find out it was really a sequel to Major Payne
:colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

A good recent one to bring up is how the military completely refused to let The Hurt Locker use any actual equipment or locations or provide any sort of expert consultation because of its anti-war message. Because then after it won Best Picture the one big :stoke: against its portrayal of the war on terror was that the technical details of the way it portrayed things like bomb defusals and sniper duels were totally inaccurate and it's like gee, now whose fault is that?

Yeah I saw some GiP goon dissing it on technical faults (which I had no idea what they were and didn't much care)

Now I know why.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

syscall girl posted:

Yeah I saw some GiP goon dissing it on technical faults (which I had no idea what they were and didn't much care)

Now I know why.
A movie can be anti-war and still incredibly stupid, and The Hurt Locker is both. It's like American Sniper's opposite number. A movie that gets tons of praise it doesn't deserve and ultimately has nothing to say. You'll find that just about everyone in GIP loves Three Kings, it's a far better movie and feels accurate even though most of the story is fictional.

The only good thing about The Hurt Locker is that it kept Avatar from winning best picture.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

IUG posted:

I really don't understand this argument people have against the army in films. If they're being asked to be in a film, then they of course would only want to represent themselves positively. Not a lot of people would appear in the film if it made them look like a fascist or racist. So if you want those million dollar tanks or planes to show up in a film, then you're going to want to be represented well in the final product. Otherwise, good luck to your props and vfx department.

Said as a doughy white boy who has never served.

See, reading this, all I really want is a new movie like The Pentagon Wars, a new farce comedy about the absolute fuckups in the military. I wonder if they'd shut it down?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

The army can't shut down your war movie no matter how hard they hate it, they just won't help you make it and it's very difficult and expensive to procure all that sweet hardware without their help. It's super tempting to make a few little changes to the script when they're willing to throw all the equipment you need at you in exchange for making them look good.

Pentagon Wars was a smart way to portray the huge levels of incompetence and graft that goes on in military equipment procurement because it's a process that largely takes place in board rooms, offices and design studios. All they needed was one Bradley and some uniforms really, and that hardly breaks the bank.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Independence Day actually had to do without military support because it used Area 51.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Guy Mann posted:

I get more of a "Joshua Jackson during a particularly bad off-season of Fringe" look from him.

When a friend and I were watching Borgen, we both called him "Danish Pacey." I was so happy when he showed up in GoT so I could text her that Danish Pacey was in the show.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Independence Day actually had to do without military support because it used Area 51.

Hot Shots built an aircraft carrier out of a cliff side because the military wasn't going to back a parody film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For being a bunch of tough guys, the military's run by some salty rear end bitches.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ruddiger posted:

For being a bunch of tough guys, the military's run by some salty rear end bitches.

masculinity.txt

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The cast of the new Power Rangers movie being interviewed by Amy Jo Johnson. She barely aged!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap3MRmQRSek

edit:
Coming in August:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 5, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Pentagon Wars was a smart way to portray the huge levels of incompetence and graft that goes on in military equipment procurement because it's a process that largely takes place in board rooms, offices and design studios. All they needed was one Bradley and some uniforms really, and that hardly breaks the bank.

The same with In The Loop. A movie all about the Iraq War, but entirely set within legislative office buildings and without the name "Iraq" ever even being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Coming in August:

Finally the ride is in theaters...wait a minute.

• Locked thread