Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Are there random elements to the chest items? I scoured the gently caress out of the plateau and never found a fire rod 😞 I watched some videos from last summer and I'm pretty sure I went to the area where people were finding it in the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the little Korok puzzles are clever and I love stumbling across them. Need to find out where the dude who updgrades your storage capacity goes after you exhaust him in Kakariko though, I'm sitting on like 20 seeds :sweatdrop:

Also just so everyone knows, the 3 DLC chests are all right next to some of the shrines on the plateau (one literally right next to the entrance, one on top of a wall in the area with the laser guardians and one on a snowy wall along the drop) and besides the Switch shirt its just a ruby and 5 bomb arrows :effort:

Zore fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 4, 2017

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If anyone want climbing pants, I found some in the Hateno area: More specifically, the "line up three trees" shrine

Also, please Nintendo: Make a toggle so I can play in 720p portable mode on the big screen. Bad frame rate bothers me much more than low res. (But I won't play a 100+ hour game on such a small screen)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 4, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lol why doesn't this autosave when you fast travel

(complete and utter adoration other than this)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The density of this game is insane. I've played for like a dozen hours and have only visited 3 or 4 towers, barely scratching the surface of exploring each area. I only just got the camera functions. This game is seriously deep. I don't see myself tiring of it anytime soon. Too many open-world games are boring or repetitive, this one might actually be the real deal, finally.

The density reminds me of GTA:SA - there's something noteworthy on almost every single block and the empty areas are noteworthy for being empty.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Some of the mountain areas seem a bit barren though - I get a little bit annoyed when I climb to a high peak and find gently caress all up there, not even a low tier chest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

The density of this game is insane. I've played for like a dozen hours and have only visited 3 or 4 towers, barely scratching the surface of exploring each area. I only just got the camera functions. This game is seriously deep. I don't see myself tiring of it anytime soon. Too many open-world games are boring or repetitive, this one might actually be the real deal, finally.

The density reminds me of GTA:SA - there's something noteworthy on almost every single block and the empty areas are noteworthy for being empty.

I went off the reservation just trying to hike across a mountain to walk directly to my destination, and I found a Korok puzzle in the middle of nowhere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Decided to focus on getting all the towers/opening the map up first (at least the ones I can - assuming there's one up near Death Mountain that'll gently caress me up without something with heat resistance - anyone know where I can get this?). Almost every section I've uncovered has been way bigger than I expected. This goddamn game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Some of the towers I've come across have been so well guarded. I managed to avoid guardian lasers to scramble up one, but another had three wizzrobes and assorted lizalfos around it and I turned tail and ran :stonk:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Anyone have any hints on how to kill the evil robots? Not exactly how to do it just hints and tips. I thought the ones outside of the bomb shrine on the plateau were new beamoses and could be beaten with bombs but I quickly realized my mistake when they said "gently caress you" and shot their lasers at me :gonk:

My other story about them is (immediate post-plateau spoilers) after getting off the plateau I went north to try and get the tower for the area around Hyrule Castle and discovered these dudes were everywhere. I ended up stealth/fast climbing the tower because otherwise I was getting sniped off it by them.

This game is incredible.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Lmao at the chef dude who's like, yeah the castle is engulfed by the physical manifestation of evil, but I bet there are some great recipes in the royal cookbooks! Be a pal and bring them back!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

It took me about 4 hours of playing the game before I found out that the right joy con has motion control you use to aim the bow and scope.

Now i'm wondering if theres a way to dive under water to get to this treasure chest.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
zelda is.....*checks notes*

good?!?!??!?!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ChocNitty posted:

It took me about 4 hours of playing the game before I found out that the right joy con has motion control you use to aim the bow and scope.

Now i'm wondering if theres a way to dive under water to get to this treasure chest.

No diving. Use magnetism or your ice powers.

Incidently, ice lets you do a lot of hilarious poo poo like climb waterfall.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Zore posted:

No diving. Use magnetism or your ice powers.

Incidently, ice lets you do a lot of hilarious poo poo like climb waterfall.

There's even a loading tooltip about using the magnesis powers for this purpose. I was wondering the same thing about diving until I saw it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hedrigall posted:

Some of the towers I've come across have been so well guarded. I managed to avoid guardian lasers to scramble up one, but another had three wizzrobes and assorted lizalfos around it and I turned tail and ran :stonk:

hahaha just did this one. fuckers. had one similar to the spoiler one so i approached it from above instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Buncha fuckin' Bokos around this drat tower giving me the business.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I think this might have been posted earlier as spectulation, but I can confirm an amiibo reward:
Original Smash Bros Link amiibo gives you Epona with max stats

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You know, that mercy quarter heart is kind of a waste when you decide to steal it from me anyway when I roll on the ground, game.

Literally got knocked on my rear end and link barely moved but it was enough to push me into game over state. That's loving stupiddd. If I had to voice 2 complaints it would be that the hill damage is really un-needed and stupid and that weapons break way too loving fast. Fought the Lynel the story wanted me to for the Zora's and broke like 5-6 weapons and a bow just to down it. I didn't feel a rush at all or in danger because it's easy as hell to get rushes on them so all it was was a resource drain.

nobody told ya to kill it, just to get arrows. Still a valid way to get them tho!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some of the AI is way too clever for its own good I tried hiding on top of a rock to escape the Lynel's shock arrows and hopefully reset him to wandering around instead of trying to murder me, motherfucker aimed vertically and started arching his shots at steep angles onto where I was hiding. Clever bastard :argh:.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
is there a way to switch lock on targets without breaking lock on? Also I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but can lock on be set to toggle?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wildtortilla posted:

is there a way to switch lock on targets without breaking lock on? Also I'm 99% sure the answer is no, but can lock on be set to toggle?

Hold ZL, tap it and hold. Same way it's been with the Hold-type targeting since Ocarina.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I haven't been locking on at all! I should really try to.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It really feels like this game was supposed to use both screens on the Wii U (basically anything where you interact with the slate just screams "pad screen") and its like they just went and yanked that out to not let the Wii U version have any features lacking in the Switch version. Sucks because the other times they put the map/inventory on a second screen it was great. Also the box advertises that you can play with a remote and nunchuck but you cant.

Beyond me whining like a baby about those two things, the game loving owns so far

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gutcruncher posted:

It really feels like this game was supposed to use both screens on the Wii U (basically anything where you interact with the slate just screams "pad screen") and its like they just went and yanked that out to not let the Wii U version have any features lacking in the Switch version. Sucks because the other times they put the map/inventory on a second screen it was great. Also the box advertises that you can play with a remote and nunchuck but you cant.

Beyond me whining like a baby about those two things, the game loving owns so far

It's more likely they folded development into a single version for a loving huge open-world game to minimize bugs and make it easier to dump the final build to both consoles come release/debug time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Harrow posted:

In the same video, when they has the portable version as the whole frame instead of half of the video, it looked fine. I have no idea what happened in that part to make the contrast go nuts like that.
They say in the video that you can't capture direct footage from the Switch in portable mode, so they filmed the screen for the side-by-side frame rate comparison. Every fullscreen shot of portable mode in the video was captured with the Switch's screenshot tool, so it obviously looks much better.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So because I figured this would be such a broad experience and because I've always wanted to tbh I've been taking notes while I play in a little notebook. Just littlw observations like what ingredients to mix, some notes on puzzles and where I found some stuff. I've a small personal questlog too for some places to look for and some other things to try, because I'm bored as gently caress in work and I can't deal with it.

I'm also curious about how everyone is finding/figuring out cooking. I'll spoil it just in case actually

So how I think it works is the more food items you throw in the more hearts each dish produces and then more again if you mix ingredients but I haven't made any massive dishes yet just a mix of one or two ingredients.

With seasoning I think the more seasoning you add the longer or stronger the buff effect is. So you could cook really potent spicy apples with one part apple four parts chilli.
I for some reason never tried mixing seasoning to see if you can get multiple buffs per dish but I know buffs dont stack when eating seperate dishes.

So you could make food that heals a lot buffs a lot or go halves on ingredients I think?

I think elixers work similarly, but i have no idea if using multiple monster parts or multiple..uh regents lets say, changes anything. If it works like condiments the regent sould decide how strong a buff you get is but then what do monster parts do? Are some of them just better paired with certain regents or are they literally just bases for elixers with no real effect?

Cooking and eating has been a ton of fun so far. My map is like 90% pot markers for cooking fires and even though I've been cooking like crazy I still feel pretty far from being a Hylian Gourmand

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

So because I figured this would be such a broad experience and because I've always wanted to tbh I've been taking notes while I play in a little notebook. Just littlw observations like what ingredients to mix, some notes on puzzles and where I found some stuff. I've a small personal questlog too for some places to look for and some other things to try, because I'm bored as gently caress in work and I can't deal with it.

I'm also curious about how everyone is finding/figuring out cooking. I'll spoil it just in case actually

So how I think it works is the more food items you throw in the more hearts each dish produces and then more again if you mix ingredients but I haven't made any massive dishes yet just a mix of one or two ingredients.

With seasoning I think the more seasoning you add the longer or stronger the buff effect is. So you could cook really potent spicy apples with one part apple four parts chilli.
I for some reason never tried mixing seasoning to see if you can get multiple buffs per dish but I know buffs dont stack when eating seperate dishes.

So you could make food that heals a lot buffs a lot or go halves on ingredients I think?

I think elixers work similarly, but i have no idea if using multiple monster parts or multiple..uh regents lets say, changes anything. If it works like condiments the regent sould decide how strong a buff you get is but then what do monster parts do? Are some of them just better paired with certain regents or are they literally just bases for elixers with no real effect?

Cooking and eating has been a ton of fun so far. My map is like 90% pot markers for cooking fires and even though I've been cooking like crazy I still feel pretty far from being a Hylian Gourmand

For cooking a few tips;

Do not mix ingredients with active effects like +stealth and +def or whatever. You get a failed dish if you do (it'll restore half of what a successful recipe would)

Mixing just vegetables and mushrooms will not get buffs activated if you include too many. 4 spicy peppers and an apple just gets you mixed greens which heals. You need a protein base.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Where's the (early game?) Great Fairy in Kakariko?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Where's the (early game?) Great Fairy in Kakariko?

Yup. Head up the path beyond the Shrine and follow it into the woods to the big closed-up flower.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a comprehensive list on what the Zelda amiibos do? I've seen some lists but they seem to be incomplete. One will say only the Smash TP Link and Wolf Link do anything unique, others say other Link amiibo will drop special armor. None list what the Ganon amiibo does (which seems to be random items). It'd be a little weird to be if the special BotW amiibos didn't do anything actually special in the game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. Head up the path beyond the Shrine and follow it into the woods to the big closed-up flower.

And if you see the bunny, shoot it.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm so goddamn stingy with weapon management I can't bother to save a slot for a korok leaf and instead opt to freeze block across the ocean when taking the raft w/ leaf is 10x faster.

I don't carry torches so I burn 300 rubies to make sure I have more than 20 fire arrows at all times. Honestly you can never have enough regular arrows. I'm always restocking as much as I can get even if the prices are terrible. Taking out a blue lynel gives you a bow that shoots 5 arrows at once for the cost of one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm so goddamn stingy with weapon management I can't bother to save a slot for a korok leaf and instead opt to freeze block across the ocean when taking the raft w/ leaf is 10x faster.

I don't carry torches so I burn 300 rubies to make sure I have more than 20 fire arrows at all times. Honestly you can never have enough regular arrows. I'm always restocking as much as I can get even if the prices are terrible. Taking out a blue lynel gives you a bow that shoots 5 arrows at once for the cost of one.

Oh my god so many times have I been stumped and stopped by a big wide river and totally forgot about Cryosis MOTHER F

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Playing this taught me I don't actually care about 30fps. I had assumed it was being 30fps that made Arkham Knight on PS4 beautiful, but blindingly blurry in motion. Guess not!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love this game so much, making to do lists for every day before I start playing now.

-Look for horse memory
-Go to the forest near normal mountainside
-Hopefully find the upgrade korok there
-Tiddy up sidequests
-Finally get that shrine near the swamp
-Buy MY HOUSE. And upgrade it.
-Get to Maze Island
-Find the other climbing gear

Anyone know where the climbing tunic is at?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my god I beat that puzzle you use the motion controls to move a ball through the maze by turning the maze around, waiting for it to drop again then slamming the board against it the right way to bounce it directly into the slide.

Am I the only one having a lot of issues with the motion controls? It feels way, way worse than the original Wii, so while using the stick is oversensitive and slow I can't see another option.

Game still great tho. Is there some detailed poo poo about the horses? Is there some early game thing you should deffo not miss? (I didn't find the improved pants until way later on the Plateau and I have pretty much no upgrades or cool poo poo but a climbing bandana)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love this game so much, making to do lists for every day before I start playing now.

-Look for horse memory
-Go to the forest near normal mountainside
-Hopefully find the upgrade korok there
-Tiddy up sidequests
-Finally get that shrine near the swamp
-Buy MY HOUSE. And upgrade it.
-Get to Maze Island
-Find the other climbing gear

Anyone know where the climbing tunic is at?

I got the climbing tunic in a shrine in either the Kakariko region or the central Hyrule one. Can't remember where exactly, sorry.

Also hilariously I have only found the shirt and need the pants/hat because christ is there a lot of climbinh.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh my god I beat that puzzle you use the motion controls to move a ball through the maze by turning the maze around, waiting for it to drop again then slamming the board against it the right way to bounce it directly into the slide.

I don't think there's a single person that did it the way it was meant to. Instead using the maze as a bat or the underside to roll the ball onto the platform. Nintendo we've gone through this, no one likes forced gyro mini games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

I don't think there's a single person that did it the way it was meant to. Instead using the maze as a bat or the underside to roll the ball onto the platform. Nintendo we've gone through this, no one likes forced gyro mini games.
The thing I love about it though is that it worked. I was playing with my bro and we both had to high-five finally beating that loving puzzle that way and it being possible.

Still a bit hung over but it was a cool moment