Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Animorphs is a legit series that can and does get pretty dark. It's worth going back and reading/rereading, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

If there's ever been a series that deserves better, it's Animorphs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm a little bit disappointed the new student thinks they're an alien club because it looks like she might just be shuffled off as a joke and it took a long time to get here for this punchline from when Max got the note. I guess she's not blackmailing Max but she's probably not getting into the club if she's a loopy alien-believer either, so still not sure where this is going.

But then I look at Duchovny Spender and I know it was all worth it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dolash posted:

I'm a little bit disappointed the new student thinks they're an alien club because it looks like she might just be shuffled off as a joke and it took a long time to get here for this punchline from when Max got the note. I guess she's not blackmailing Max but she's probably not getting into the club if she's a loopy alien-believer either, so still not sure where this is going.

But then I look at Duchovny Spender and I know it was all worth it.

She's a character that's going to stick around. Zach's been pretty upfront about her being one of the characters he's been wanting to introduce for a long time.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

flatluigi posted:

She's a character that's going to stick around. Zach's been pretty upfront about her being one of the characters he's been wanting to introduce for a long time.

Paranatural was written entirely to get to this joke, as the only basis for its origin. It is now over, and we can all go home.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tollymain posted:

isn't animorphs literally a gritty war story about basically child guerilla
soldiers

As I once described it to a friend, there's a maiming in every book!

Really though it's a horrifying series and near the end the "Main" character literally sends disabled children to die in a diversionary attack and ends up getting severe PTSD

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Paramemetic posted:

I love what appears to be an homage to the xfiles in the Spender scene. I can't do the research to look it up and wouldn't know where to start (xfiles marathon noooo) but I'm pretty sure there is a recurring theme of Mulder poring over books work coffee in the background late into the night after a failure. Or it's just a general trope I've attributed to xfiles. Either way it's good.

Edit: also that's a really satisfying place to stop and I think it would be a fantastic place in the narrative to change POV. I'd love to see the next chapter from another main character, either one of Johnny's gang or some other underdeveloped main dude.

So this was December 2nd.

This joke was foreshadowed over a year ago.

That's all.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paramemetic posted:

So this was December 2nd.

This joke was foreshadowed over a year ago.

That's all.

December 2nd, 2014. Bit more than a year there.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

This conversation appears to be setting up the next arc so it's very likely that we'll be seeing a lot of her in the near future (well, in two years once this chapter is done).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Acebuckeye13 posted:

As I once described it to a friend, there's a maiming in every book!

Really though it's a horrifying series and near the end the "Main" character literally sends disabled children to die in a diversionary attack and ends up getting severe PTSD

I only read one book from that series and in it they travel back in time to the age of dinosaurs, discovering there was once an advanced race of crab people who lived on Earth. The crab people are excited because an asteroid is going to end all life on Earth but with the Animorphs' powers they've put together a plan to stop it. The night before the plan though the kids figure out if they save the crab people then humanity will probably never emerge, so they sneak out in the middle of the night and find the way to travel back to the present.

Kid me decided that was enough.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Roland Jones posted:

December 2nd, 2014. Bit more than a year there.

Well I didn't account for delayed something something.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

flatluigi posted:

i mean well

if there are ghosts

what about aliens

*gasps*

alien ghosts...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They've already mentioned giant space ghost whales. I think.

Reading back and the hidden text on this one is so good seeing where we are now

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Upd- Oh nooooooo. I feel really bad for her.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I was optimistic that the trip to the student store might advance the plot literally at all, but looks like that's not gonna happen :shrug:
ah well. Even if this was just an excuse to give side characters a bit more depth, I'm okay with that.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, she's sharper than I thought. I figured the alien stuff was her getting played off as another wacky gimmick character, but she might figure out the club's activity yet.

Edit: Oh hey I went back to check when New Kid was first introduced and she has an "Aliens Be Crazy" book with her on the bus, well done.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 3, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect she's about to become Max's non-paranatural friend. Also suspect that we'll eventually find out her 'alien' encounter was actually paranatural poo poo.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MikeJF posted:

I suspect she's about to become Max's non-paranatural friend. Also suspect that we'll eventually find out her 'alien' encounter was actually paranatural poo poo.

It's possible that her "alien encounter" was wholly fabricated as a means to obtain acceptance in a group of weird kids who's "thing" she thought she'd figured out.

In other words she gambled and lost.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It'll actually turn out there really are aliens and they're entirely orthagonal to the whole ghost/spirit business. Kid Who Still Doesn't Have A Name will participate in an entirely separate B-plot involving them.

MikeJF's right though that Max having a friend outside the club who wants to know more about it though is a useful development. Max might be tempted to tell her more about it later, in a way he wouldn't be with Suzy, which furthers the whole "why is everyone keeping all these secrets from each other" plotpoint.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I have to say I'd love to see her interacting with Ed.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Calling it. Aliens are a totally real thing in the Paranatural universe, and almost completely unrelated to all the ghost/spirit/activity consortium nonsense

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dolash posted:

It'll actually turn out there really are aliens and they're entirely orthogonal to the whole ghost/spirit business.

Yeah, Max is a bit too quick to assume she's wrong.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dolash posted:

It'll actually turn out there really are aliens and they're entirely orthagonal to the whole ghost/spirit business.
The Activity Consortium know all about the aliens but don't really care. Spender will mention it offhandedly at some point, probably while Isaac is halfway up an abduction beam.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ezzer posted:

Calling it. Aliens are a totally real thing in the Paranatural universe, and almost completely unrelated to all the ghost/spirit/activity consortium nonsense

The final boss will be that giant Space Whale that Zack mentioned that'll phase through the earth and take every Spectral along with it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Ok, Alex is cute, I'm glad she's around and that we now know her name, I hope she gets help with her alien problem, and I'm looking forward to her bouncing off the rest of the cast.

But I am jonesing for some Issac right now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm pairing her comment about knowing Max is a main character and she's a background one with the way she looked directly at the viewer on the Hitball splash page, she seems mostly aware she's in a story. Or maybe just the kind of awkward nerd who tries to parse the world as if it was a story? Although it's a little unfair to call them an awkward nerd for that if they actually are in one...

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ohhh

She's one of those.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

loving spoilers! I didn't read the page yet! Mods ban this sick filth :rant:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
she's not the only one to suspect they're in a story though, remember?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*pounds fork and knife on table* give us Isaac! Give us Isaac!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Countblanc posted:

*pounds fork and knife on table* give us Isaac Ed! Give us Isaac Ed!

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I'd settle for regular, plot-advancing updates.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

go back to johnny, who joins max and dimitri to do ghost stuff

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm on my phone and do can't link it, but this update did not clear out my sinuses. Also, no update next Tuesday due to death in the family.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

oddium posted:

go back to johnny, who joins max and dimitri to do ghost stuff

Good news!

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.
He's wearing Johnny's shirt as a headband. Glorious.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God this chapter will never loving end

Like I genuinely forgot they're supposed to be looking for Hijack. The main chase after the hitball game began in February of last loving year.

Like it has literally been maybe 30-45 minutes of the day covered in a year of comics

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 10, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God this chapter will never loving end

Like I genuinely forgot they're supposed to be looking for Hijack. The main chase after the hitball game began in February of last loving year.

Like it has literally been maybe 30-45 minutes of the day covered in a year of comics

But remember, suggesting the pacing might be garbage is unreasonable/entitled/gee guys it's just been said SO MANY TIMES BEFORE!!!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

stop whining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The comic, is good.